Discussion Forum

Exeter v Boro

Exeter v Boro

131 Posts
18 Users
513 Likes
Pedro de Espana

@original-fat-bob    And the question on Saturday night was  “would it have made any difference if HH had been playing”

Not on that performance tonight. He was very poor, however he was also only one of many. 

Yes, it will be a much changed side against Plymouth, but will still need a far better performance all round from these last two games if we want a result.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @forever-dormo

What's the chance Boro will put in a bid for Trevett...? 2-2.

He's on loan at Exeter from Brentford, according to the Mail.  Only 20 years old.  Maybe Alex Gilbert could have a word...  

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

First half was disappointing as Hackney seemed off his game and that was stopping us from playing a good final ball.

Overall, the second half was much better and it was interesting to see how much space we were able to find going forward. Carrick seems to have a system that allows very good counter-attacks when we win the ball in midfield or out of defence. and this is particularly noticeable if the other team is starting to tire. The only risk is what happens if we lose the ball as we flood forward.

Exeter scored a couple of worldies - even if the second did flick off McNair; for Glover it was totally unstoppable - and apart from that we were pretty much in control and scored two excellent goals ourselves. The penalty was stone-cold and nobody seemed to complain.

For me it was an entertaining game. Rogers was excellent, particularly in the second half. Silvera is getting better but does play in fits and starts. Good goals from both of them. Dijksteel looked really solid in defence and very good going forward and my guess is that he is now number one right back. Bangura was good as well although his crosses never looked as dangerous as they should have been and he will battle with Engels. Its the same at times for Jones. He does everything right and then doesn't deliver a good cross.

Hats off to the fans. They must be tempted to set up camp down there for Saturday.

A home tie for Christmas would be nice.

UTB

jarkko

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

Live stream available on Hesgoal.one 😎

A big thank you, mate. The link worked well and was of high quality, even if there were some not so nice adverticements included.

Up the Boro! 

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@selwynoz Excellent summary there. We definately saw the same match. Nothing to add. Perhaps Exeter played above their level in the first half and started to tire the longer the game went. 

Also a very good summary in here by Carrick: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67202374

Nice, that we are in the hat for the quater finals. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Elsewhere, Connor Ripley was in goal as Port Vale made history by reaching the quater finals for the first time in their history. The 30-year-old keeper was born in Boro and started his caree at the Boro, too.

And of course his father Stuart was an England international winger and part of the famous class of 1986. Stuart is a solicitor nowadays and very seldomly on the news anymore.

I wouldn't mind a home draw in the next round. Especially against Port Vale. But let's hope we get a home draw at least. Seems that we have got an away match in the EFL Cup in recent seasons, though.

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 6 months ago by jarkko

Powmill-Naemore

Sounds like it was a good cup tie to have  been at that was getting close the banana skin that often undoes the higher ranked team.

Glad we are through and without picking up any more injuries. Any one of Blackburn, Bournemouth, Burnley, Ipswich or Port Vale  next please - home or away!

@powmillnaemore - Not a share of the 75K gate money at Old Trafford or the 55K gate money at SJP...?  That nice little chunk might easily go towards a player in January.

Site Creator

@forever-dormo 

Financially, it's probably better to have an easier quarter-final tie and be in with a chance of a Wembley semi-final as gate receipts from the semi-final amount to £650,000 + £25,000 prize money. Though it was reported when Burton Albion lost to Manchester United few years back in EFL Cup they banked around £500,000 from their share of the Old Trafford gate receipts.

Better still would be to win at Old Trafford (£500,000) then win the semi-final (£675,000) and then get to the final (£900,000 plus £50-100,000 prize money)!

Site Creator

Didn't see any of the game but only saw that Boro had fallen behind early in the first half so feared the worst - anyway, was pleasantly surprised to see Boro had won again 3-2 (just like R1) when I got up this morning with by all accounts four cracking goals before the penalty. So I look forward to watching the highlights once they're available.

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob.  I agree and yet Maddo was saying how well he had played! 

When assessing a player’s performance you can’t just pick out the good bits and ignore the errors; without those errors the result may have been more comfortable.  

Instead we scraped past a team two divisions below us. FD’s comments are very appropriate “job done but hardly craftsmen at work”.

Whilst Silvera and Roger’s scored two great goals they didn’t do enough for me to suggest that, presently, they can be regulars in the side at championship level.

Jones also needs to up his game as far to often he is failing to deliver when in or around the box.

A tougher game in store on Saturday and we will need to up our performance if we are to come away with any points. 😎

Agree with Selwyn and KP's assessments.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

A good healiner at BBC Tees for the Red Alert podcast: "Iced Latte in a Cup".

I have also attached some statistics from the game. They had two strikes on our goal and scored two worldies. A real cup game. Up the Boro!

This post was modified 6 months ago 4 times by jarkko

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Just watched the highlights (link now available on Diasboro home page) and some very good strikes from both teams  - though Bangura may be slightly embarrassed to be given two assists as the first was essentially a tackle that fell to Rogers and the second was just giving the ball to Silvera who then cut inside before hitting a perfect low shot into the corner.

Although for me the best piece of skill on the highlights belonged to Dijksteel who did something akin to a Cruyff turn then played a one-two before running down the wing and picking out Silvera just outside the box - he should start on Saturday if that's how sharp he is as can't see van den Berg ever matching that at right-back.

Though I thought Trevitt for Exeter looked like a player destined for life much higher than League One as he seemed to have a good eye for a goal and the composure to execute. Can't comment obviously on the overall performance as the highlights were just the best bits but good to get back to winning ways!

Michael Carrick says Middlesbrough's amazing support is helping to ensure the players keep their levels as high as possible.

Boro returned to winning ways in Devon on Tuesday evening as they beat Exeter City 3-2 at St James' Park. They next play Plymouth Argyle in Devon too, on Saturday, making for a big trek for any Boro fans who make the journeys.

At Exeter on Tuesday evening there over 1,300 supporters at the ground, with Boro selling the whole allocation for the game. They'll do so again on Saturday when they travel a little further south still to Plymouth amidst another away-day sell out.

READ MORE: Michael Carrick explains Middlesbrough's second-half improvements in cup victory over Exeter

Carrick said: “It’s staggering to have 1,500 down here on a Tuesday night, all that way. It’s time, it’s effort, it’s cost. It’s impressive and amazing support that we certainly appreciate. They’ve supported us like that throughout my time here and certainly in this competition this season.

"We’ve been away every game and the numbers we’ve had have motivated the players. When they’ve needed it, it’s given them that boost. That’s great, and we then obviously have to give them everything we have to win games because certainly the supporters are giving everything they’ve got. It’s fantastic.

“They have two epic journeys this week and it’s certainly appreciated by us. The boys are aware of it and, of course, we do speak about it. I don’t think it’s extra motivation, but it certainly keeps those motivation levels topped up. When you that support in those numbers and you see how much it means to them, I think that keeps you at a certain level. We never take that for granted.”

Site Creator

Just noticed when updating the home page, that was only the third time Boro have worn their blue away kit with the yellow chest band - so far it's been lucky as they've won all three and scored 9 goals - including 4 at Sunderland. Maybe they should wear it more often!

Philip of Huddersfield

I’m sure last night’s win creates a good feeling for all Boro fans.

As to the next game there’s pros and cons about whoever we are drawn against. Part of me fancies a big Club but that’s mainly  for financial reasons  and the hope that the opposition may play a much changed team and the possibility of Boro winning.

But on balance,  I favour a team we’ve got a better chance of beating and preferably at home with a full house. If that’s the case then in the semi final it wouldn’t really matter who we play because it’s likely that they’ll all be a top Premiership team.

I need to slow down as I’m getting ahead of myself !!
Anyone know when the draw for the next round is taking place ?

Philip of Huddersfield 👍👋🤗

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

@original-fat-bob.  I agree and yet Maddo was saying how well he had played! 

When assessing a player’s performance you can’t just pick out the good bits and ignore the errors; without those errors the result may have been more comfortable.  

Instead we scraped past a team two divisions below us. FD’s comments are very appropriate “job done but hardly craftsmen at work”.

Whilst Silvera and Roger’s scored two great goals they didn’t do enough for me to suggest that, presently, they can be regulars in the side at championship level.

Jones also needs to up his game as far to often he is failing to deliver when in or around the box.

A tougher game in store on Saturday and we will need to up our performance if we are to come away with any points. 

KP, I think you will find Exeter are in division 1, there one league below us !

I think some of the comments are a bit harsh, looking at the stats:

Exeter.                        Boro 

Possesion.          28%.                          72%

Shots.                   8.                             19 

On Target.             2.                               8 

Passes.               222.                            590

Clear Chances.       0.                                 1

Corners.                0.                                  9 

Saves.                   5.                                  0

They scored two worldly’s from Trevitt ( on loan from Brentford), did anyone notice the conditions, it was a typical cup tie, dominated by Boro but with the glamour of two wonder strikes from the under dogs. Yes, there were sloppy passes, especially from Barlaser and Hackney, overall it was an entertaining game while we rested a couple of players. Important minutes for a few of our back up players and confidence boosting goals for Rogers, Silvera and Lath (even though it was a penalty) and more importantly back on the winning trail.

Come on BORO.

This post was modified 6 months ago by werdermouth

jarkko

@philip-of-huddersfield The draw for the Quarter-Final of the Carabao Cup will take place live on Sky Sports after Wednesday night's Round Four tie between Manchester United and Newcastle United (kick-off 20:15 GMT)

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/november/01/carabao-cup-quarter-final-draw-ball-numbers/

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

That rarest of birds, a report in The Times on a Boro match:

https://archive.ph/sYFS9

complete with a photo of Trevitt's tug on Morgan Rogers' shirt.  Honourable mentions for Connor Ripley & big Uche in the closing paragraph of the report on the Mansfield/Port Vale match below it.

Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

So now do you all believe in my Boro3 ! ?

OFB

Always, Bob !

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @werdermouth

Although for me the best piece of skill on the highlights belonged to Dijksteel who did something akin to a Cruyff turn then played a one-two before running down the wing and picking out Silvera just outside the box - he should start on Saturday if that's how sharp he is as can't see van den Berg ever matching that at right-back.

The 72 agrees with you, Werder:

https://the72.co.uk/2023/11/01/superb-8-10-middlesbrough-man-earns-high-praise-in-first-start-of-the-season-as-boro-survive-exeter-city-scare/

quoting Craig Johns' assessment of his performance for the Gazette.

There is a link at the end of the article to another one, which reports that that the away fans' ticket allocation on Saturday (1,578) is sold out.  There's devotion for you!  🙂

@exmil.  My apologies, you are correct Exeter are indeed in League one. 😎

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Posted by: @stircrazy

That rarest of birds, a report in The Times on a Boro match:

Written by the Northern Echo's Scott Wilson I notice - although not a copy of his Echo match report but with a few phrases borrowed...

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@exmil 

I know it can be tricky with the way Quote Replies now work in the forum software and it's easy to write your reply inside the quote from the person you are replying to but I've edited your post as sometimes it's hard to see when reading where the quote ends and your reply begins.

Anyway, I've noticed a few people doing the same thing recently so just another reminder that you should start your reply after the 'End Quote' - see below in bold

[/quote

Start writing reply here after the 'End Quote' tag in square brackets otherwise your text will be inside the grey box

This post was modified 6 months ago by werdermouth

Liked by 5 people: exmil, Original Fat Bob, K P in Spain, jarkko and Malcolm

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth - I knew the partners in a Teesside-based news agency (though I am talking of more than 30 years ago here).  The 2 main writers would frequently cover cases in the Teesside Law Courts or the Crown Court if there were major trials or sentencing exercises to report on, and they also reported sporting events, especially Boro matches. As well as doing articles for the local papers there would be occasions when the National Press would want to cover a game at The Riverside without necessarily sending their own reporter up for the match, so they'd get in touch and ask my friends to help out. 

The two reports (one for a local paper and one for a national) might say some similar things and match details (score, scorers etc) will be the same, but the way the articles were written would be very different in the Telegraph than for the Sunday Sun/News of the World etc. However they would take care not just to copy the "marks out of 10" for each player.  For one paper they might give a chap a 6 and in another maybe a 7.  They wouldn't have it so that the MoM in one paper was said to have had a shocker in another paper but there would be variations on a theme.

And from your reply to another post, earlier on here, I can see from the figures that it can pay handsomely to get to the very late stages in cup competitions.  I suppose £1.5M or £2M may not be much to the Manchester Clubs or to Newcastle United but, for a club like Boro, it would be a major boost to the season's income and for a real minnow it might pay the outgoings for a year or two.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Forever Dormo

Pedro de Espana

@jarkko    Lets hope the ball number 1 and the Boro come out first tonight. The last round we came out last against Exeter.

As an aside, I noticed Dani Ayala has joined Rotherham. So a return to the Riverside for him, assuming he is fit. 🤣 🤣 

ReplyQuote

Boro AWAY to Port Vale in the quarter-finals, scheduled to be played in the week beginning 18th December.

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Port Vale away it is then.

Good draw for us and best chance to make the semis given the teams left in the competition.

CoB

Liked by 4 people: Original Fat Bob, Malcolm, K P in Spain and Selwynoz

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share: