131 Posts
18 Users
513 Likes

Am I the only one with a sense of foreboding 

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @paulinboro

Am I the only one with a sense of foreboding 

What's that Paulinboro? I know OFB often has a sense threeboding, but we don't often score four in a game ... 🙄 

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@powmillnaemore We did score four at Sunderland ...

@PaulInBoro Anyway, Port Vale is a possible banana skin as always, but I will trust MC to overcome Port Vale. We "seem" to be winning the EFL Cup every 20th year, don't we?

I prefer Port Vale over the other oppositions - they were all Premier Leagua. A home draw would have been nicer but it is what it is ....

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 6 months ago by jarkko

ReplyQuote

All I will say is remember the ides of Orient 

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @paulinboro

All I will say is remember the ides of Orient 

I do......

True story:

I remember I had a dream some time before that match ever happened. I could see hoards of Orient supporters waving their scarves and flags and things over the old Boys End and into that corner of Ayresome Park. Later when I was at that game I could see exactly what I had dreamt as I looked over the pitch from the Holgate End.

That Boro team from Division 1 was odds on favorite to reach its first FA Cup semi-final from that game, but after holding us to a goalless draw the O's took us down to London to beat us in the replay 2-1.

Boro teams have never done "being favorites" very well down the years have they?

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Wolves, Cardiff, etc. We have all experieced that.

But it is the same for Port Vale - they got their dream draw. At home against the only team out of Premier League.

We have the right manager in Michael Carrick to fight at Port Vale. Courage and apolication. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

@jarkko -  Good point! Both teams drew their preferred opponent for the QF.  Both teams will be pleased with that.  But both teams will realise there is a potential banana skin between them and a very lucrative SF at Wembley againt one of the Premier League Big Boys. The question is whether each team's confidence can overcome their nerves?  EEEEK...!

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

Excellent draw. I favour playing away as Boro have won all the previous away games in this competition against lower opposition ( I include Huddersfield in that category) and so they know how to win.  Also playing at home there is an expectation that Port Vale will try to win and so play a more open game which should suit Boro.
Lower opposition playing away to higher ranked teams usually raise their game and defend for their lives and play in the hope of eg a breakaway goal. The pressure is all on the home team.

So let’s hope the team can perform again and get into the semifinals

Philip of Huddersfield 

ReplyQuote

@powmillnaemore.  So do I!  I was living and working in London during the week but came home at weekends to coincide with home games. 

There was a nervousness around the ground that clearly filtered through to the team and we never really threatened to win the game.

I was at the replay at Brisbane Road and left before the end of the match as we never really turned up and the chance of a first FA Cup semi final disappeared!

Still scarred by that game and a few others over the years. 😎

This post was modified 6 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
jarkko

I have seen Port Vale live only once in my lifetime. It was a home game at Hartlepool. Yes, I was there with my girl friend - now wife and a Boro supporter - in August 1986.

What a game - a 2-2 draw but it was a start and the most important match in the history of Boro. Both Boro goals were scored by Archie Stephens. Our Great Ayton living hero. He still lives on the Wheatlands there.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/30-years-ago-today-team-11784020

Does anyone remember the result in the "other" away match at Vale Park in the 1986/87 season? At least Bruce Rioch got us promoted.

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

Of course, given the financial benefit, MC (injuries permitting) may play his strongest team.

My calendar has the game shown for the Tuesday night?

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: