Discussion Forum

Boro v Norwich City

Boro v Norwich City

94 Posts
20 Users
500 Likes
jarkko

The Echo is predicting this line-up tonight:

Middlesbrough (probable, 4-2-3-1): Dieng; Ayling, van den Berg, McNair, Engel; Howson, O’Brien; Forss, Azaz, McGree; Latte Lath.

I hope they are correct - we definately need Howson back. But the match can come too soon for him if he returned to training just this week. Other than that I fully agreee - this is the best we have got at the minute with Fry, Hackney and Jones still out. Jones is the closest to return before the International break 

I predict a 2-2 draw tonight. I hope we can enjoy the football on show again. Up the Boro! 

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@jarkko 

Howson only had a knock so if he’s recovered from that then should be ok. 2-2 is not bad shout given both defences concede on average 1.5 goals a game - though Boro are struggling to score a goal a game in 2024. It may help Boro that Norwich need a win to go 6th - then again it might not 🤔

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, jarkko, K P in Spain and Powmill-Naemore

ReplyQuote

I have a gnawing feeling deep inside me that the recent form shown by BORO can't carry on. Something has to change.  Would it be unduly optimistic to suggest a 1-1 draw against perennial yo-yo club, Norwich City this evening? Or am I being delusional? It would in no way "rescue the season" or make a charge to the Play-Off positions possible, but it would surely feel better than the recent series of defeats, with BORO conceding 2 goals each game.

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@original-fat-bob Hope the team can lift your spirits tonight. Be gone, black dog.

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

I am basing my prediction for tonight solely in mind of the late Stephen Hawking's principle of radiation, which suggests that nothing in our universe can last forever. 

2 -0 to Boro then, to give me something to wind up our CEO with. 

CoB

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @jarkko

The Echo is predicting this line-up tonight:

Middlesbrough (probable, 4-2-3-1): Dieng; Ayling, van den Berg, McNair, Engel; Howson, O’Brien; Forss, Azaz, McGree; Latte Lath.

I hope they are correct - we definately need Howson back. But the match can come too soon for him if he returned to training just this week. Other than that I fully agreee - this is the best we have got at the minute with Fry, Hackney and Jones still out. Jones is the closest to return before the International break 

I predict a 2-2 draw tonight. I hope we can enjoy the football on show again. Up the Boro! 

My prediction for tonight’s lineup is slightly different to the Echo as I think he will play a back 5:

Dieng

Ayling, Van den Berg, Clarke, McNair, Engel

Howson, O’Brien 

Forss, Lathe, McGree

Come on BORO.

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, K P in Spain, jarkko and Martin Bellamy

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@exmil 

I would go with your line-up over the Echo

Liked by Selwynoz and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@powmillnaemore 

After our play-off hopes evaporated, can Boro escape from the depressing black hole and the Championship non-event horizon to avoid being sucked into the point of no return?

ReplyQuote

Hopefully we will have a result tonight and win some points.

I still think Paddy is better than Barlaser in midfield .

OFB

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@original-fat-bob 

I think Barlaser has made way too many mistakes playing the ball out of midfield to counter the occasions where he's had good games and made telling passes - the opposition are almost anticipating that he'll attempt passes that are not on.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

If you think the Boro squad lacks pace then maybe this article will reinforce that view when you discover who Crook's claims is the third fastest player at Boro - though the top three are currently all injured!

https://www.boro.news/news/matt-crooks-makes-astounding-claim-in-recent-interview-after-middlesbrough-exit/

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Team News...

So it looks like a back three and the team Exmil predicted earlier! Plus Jones is on the bench too!!

This post was modified 2 months ago by werdermouth

ReplyQuote

@exmil 

Looks like your prediction was spot on.

Sorry, Werder, just spotted that you saw the same thing, but quicker than me.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Peter Surtees

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@werdermouth I find that hard to believe, although Crooks should know what he’s talking about. Bangura’s certainly got an unusual running style.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@werdermouth Well done by Exmill.

And the bench looks much stronger than on Saturday, too. I hope Jones gets 30 min today.

Up the Boro! 

From the Beeb's live commentary in the run-up to this evening's matches 9only four, as the fire at St Mary's has resulted in the postponement of the Saints' match against Preston):

Can Carrick take Wagner inspiration?

It's fair to argue that Michael Carrick is enduring the most testing spell of his near 18-month Riverside reign - four defeats in five, one win in eight in all competitions.  Bizarrely that sole victory came at leaders Leicester, but while Boro have slipped to 14th, miles off the play-offs, if Carrick needs encouragement that things can change quickly, he need look only in the visiting dugout.

David Wagner has looked ripe for the sack on more than one occasion during his 14-month spell in charge of Norwich - not least after an autumn run of nine defeats in 12 games - but not only is he still there, he's guided them to the fringes of the top six.  That ascent has come via six wins in nine - and if they triumph again tonight, the Canaries will leapfrog Hull and fly into the play-off places.

Boro bid for four Canaries wins on spin

Norwich boss Wagner, however, will have to end his own Boro 'curse' and the Canaries' bouts of travel sickness if the visitors are to claim the win that would catapult them into the top six.

The German has lost all four of his previous meetings with the Teessiders during his spells as boss at Huddersfield and in East Anglia.  Indeed, Boro have won their past three encounters with Norwich - and the Canaries have not been great on the road recently, winning just one of their past seven away league trips.

ReplyQuote

So, 0-1 after 17 minutes (Ashley Barnes)...

ReplyQuote

The Canaries down to 10 men after 30 minutes (Sainz - "violent conduct")!  Hope?!!

ReplyQuote

Forss equalises in the 37th minute from a rebound following a shot by ELL.

ReplyQuote

ELL himself gives Boro the lead on the 43rd minute, assisted by Matt Clarke.

ReplyQuote

Well, what do we make of that?

Boro were absolutely awful with our back three against XI men. A huge slice of luck with the Norwich sending off and suddenly it's a different game.

Martin Bellamy

That’s as harsh a sending off as I’ve seen in a long time. Not that I’m complaining, mind. 
2-1 C’mon Boro!

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Posted by: @andy-r

Well, what do we make of that?

Boro were absolutely awful with our back three against XI men. A huge slice of luck with the Norwich sending off and suddenly it's a different game.

Exactly. At 1-0 down we looked vulnerable every time Norwich got the ball. With Boro actually playing a flat back five, Norwich dominated midfield and were still able to play balls over our defence. Then, a very dubious sending off - yellow card at worst - and we're back in it and look like world beaters. This game has been handed to us and we have to take the opportunity. 

UTB

PS  Engel is great going forward, good at tackling but his passing can be really dodgy.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Yes Boro looked completely short on ideas on how to play against Norwich - they weren't even defending well enough even with an extra defender and it looked only a matter of time before Norwich scored. I feared the worst at 1-0 down but that extraordinary red card where their player seemed to only accidentally brush Howson's thigh has completely changed the game. Suddenly Boro had belief in themselves and moved the ball faster and looked a different team. Huge slice of luck that may well calm any worries of a slide towards the relegation zone - surely Boro won't let this game slip now!

CJ's assessment of the first half:

Was looking pretty bleak for 30 mins in truth, but the red card has undoubtedly turned this game on its head. Boro still had to make that happen though. They used the momentum to get themselves level and then in front. You can see how much it means to them in doing so. Still 45 to go though. This would be huge for them.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@selwynoz 

I agree about Engel as for some reason he has this propensity to play square infield passes around the edge of the box - he needs to be told not to do that as it's suicidal passing!

ReplyQuote

Engel makes it 3-1 in the 62nd minute, assisted by Luke Ayling.  At last, the return of Middlesbrough3!  🙂

Dijksteel, Barlaser & Silvera on for Ayling, Howson & ELL in the 69th minute. 

ReplyQuote

Azaz on for McGree in the 80th minute.

CJ:

Game has petered out really since Boro's third. Norwich rather resigned to their defeat. Boro happy to not force anything at this stage.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: