Discussion Forum

Boro v Norwich City

Boro v Norwich City

94 Posts
20 Users
500 Likes
Site Creator

Thanks to that red card it turned out to be a comfortable last hour for Boro as they got the goals to retake the lead and then simply used their man advantage to control the game. Norwich were completely in charge until the sending off but after that they shrunk and never looked like they thought they could win the game. Hopefully it will give the players a confidence boost to take into the next three games as the pressure is relieved - that red card gave them belief that has looked absent for the last couple of games so a welcome stroke of luck that has turned the tide. Perhaps the return of Jones will give them another lift and end the flirtation with relegation talk!

This post was modified 2 months ago by werdermouth

Selwynoz

This game showed the fine margins for teams who like to play possession football. Playing against eleven, Boro couldn't get a touch. Playing against ten men, Boro had the pressure taken off them and completely dominated the game to much more of an extent than you would expect in a normal 11 vs 10. 

Three very welcome points and even acknowledging that it was a bit fortuitous we can hope that this win steadies the mood and gives them the confidence to impose their game on other teams. 

UTB

Boro back up to 12th with 47 points, the same number as the Deck Chairs, but with a GD of -2 compared with +5.

Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @stircrazy

Boro back up to 12th with 47 points, the same number as the Deck Chairs, but with a GD of -2 compared with +5.

not to forget to mention we do still also have a spare game in hand

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Well. That's a "Phew" from me and restores my faith in the genius of Stephen Hawking.

We really do need to build on that win now though. For the moment though, "Get in!!!!"

Site Creator

Here's something to ponder before going to bed - that win has put Boro 10 points behind Hull in 6th and before the international break Boro have their game in hand plus 2 others (QPR, Brum & Blackburn) but Hull only have 1 game against Leicester as their fixture the following weekend at Coventry has been postponed because they play in the FA Cup. Not inconceivable that Boro with Jones returning could then end up only one point behind Hull at the international break - we just maybe need a bit more luck like tonight 😉 

The welcome return if Boro3 !

Haven’t seen them for a long time !

OFB

Maddison in my opinion was

totally wrong about the sending off !

Howson had his thigh deliberately scraped the full length after the whistle had gone and play had stopped !

Classed as violent conduct and  Maddo should have known better !

OFB

ReplyQuote

Echo player ratings - Engel MotM:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24168293.lukas-engel-man-match-middlesbroughs-win-norwich/

And the Gazette's - rather more generous than the Echo's:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-player-ratings-vs-norwich-28768944

This post was modified 2 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @powmillnaemore

not to forget to mention we do still also have a spare game in hand

Whoops!  Completely overlooked that vital statistic!  *red face*

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @werdermouth

Here's something to ponder before going to bed - that win has put Boro 10 points behind Hull in 6th and before the international break Boro have their game in hand plus 2 others (QPR, Brum & Blackburn) but Hull only have 1 game against Leicester as their fixture the following weekend at Coventry has been postponed because they play in the FA Cup. Not inconceivable that Boro with Jones returning could then end up only one point behind Hull at the international break - we just maybe need a bit more luck like tonight 😉 

stop it. Stop it now. 😉 

Philip of Huddersfield

Tonight’s game reminded me of the Sunderland game where Boro weren’t doing very well, then the Sunderland defender was harshly sent off and Boro took advantage and won handsomely.

After tonight’s “ a bit harsh sending off “ Boro looked a much better team, scored and then confidence improved and they looked a much improved team.

Hopefully tonight’s result and confidence can continue into future games.

Fingers crossed.

Philip of Huddersfield 👍😁

Pedro de Espana

Well that was certainly a “get out of jail” card tonight, which I thought was a little harsh. Ayling had clattered Sainz earlier and was lucky not to get a yellow card. 

Until then, Boro were once more completely useless, with no idea to how they should be playing. Norwich should have been two up before the fiasco of the goal scored from Barney’s on the deck. You just could not make it up. 

The defence including the two wing backs were all at sea. As Werder said Engel keeps playing those inside balls around the 18 yard box. Ayling was absolutely hopeless from the off and our midfield two overran.

Then a slice of luck. OK, three goals with an excellent one from Engels, some nice football. However the truth is, without that sending of, Boro would have been well beaten. 

The NE and Gazette player scores were overly generous in my opinion. Up until the red card, nobody deserved any score other than 2 or 3. My MotM was O’Brien and the Howson. 

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

Maddison in my opinion was totally wrong about the sending off !

Howson had his thigh deliberately scraped the full length after the whistle had gone and play had stopped !

Classed as violent conduct and  Maddo should have known better !

OFB

And the ref was watching less than 5 yards away from the the pair. Up the Boro! 

This post was modified 2 months ago by jarkko

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Echo player ratings - Engel MotM:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24168293.lukas-engel-man-match-middlesbroughs-win-norwich/

More comment on Engel from Boro News:

https://www.boro.news/match/great-middlesbrough-ace-hailed-after-key-moment-in-norwich-win-he-did-so-well/

Ayling was given eight? Not his best game in a Boro shirt. 

Shows that we can have so different opinions. Up the Boro! 

Well the other “typical Boro” turned last night, eventually and ran out as deserved winners.

I thought initially that the red card was harsh but having seen a replay from a different angle on the ITV Highlights show this morning, this shows the Norwich player raking his studs down JH’s thigh so it looks justified; it will be interesting to see if Norwich appeal the decision.

A win, fortuitous or otherwise, is a welcome three points as it provides a bit more comfort away from the bottom of the table.

I am still not convinced that MC and his coaching staff are getting things right.  Having talked pre match about sticking to principles and style of play, they went to a back five, not three, which clearly did not work and with under half an hour gone there was only going to be one winner until the red card decision.  

Given we were being outplayed I was staggered that MC did not go to a back four or three and bolster the midfield to try and gain more possession.  In the end it worked out but more by luck than judgement and without the red card I don’t think we would be celebrating three points today.

It will be interesting to see which Boro turns up on Saturday and what formation is deployed.  It’s never without incident or controversy watching our beloved team! 😎

This post was modified 2 months ago by K P in Spain

Got to be happy with the result given we didn't get a touch for first 30mins, can comment of fairness of red card, couldn't really see from east stand, I was surprised how passive Norwich were in the 2nd half. Isn't there a football adage about it been harder to play against 10 men. I thought Howsan made a difference, how many more points to we need to stop looking over our shoulder? 6, 9 who knows. I just hope we don't revert to type on Saturday........

That'll make the QPR match starter a little easier to write. Was considering making it about absolutely anything other than football.

Site Creator

I've watched the replay of the red card many times and I can barely see any contact with Howson's thigh, let alone anything considered as raking - I think Sainz was actually on his back with his legs in the air just rubbing the back of his knee where he'd been caught when Howson brushed passed him and then acted like he'd been hurt as the referee came towards them - Oscar stuff from Howson I'm afraid as he won't even have the slightest mark on his thigh and I expect the red card to be overturned.

ReplyQuote

I'll take that result, however it was achieved, anytime.

The Red Card? The Norwich player appears to raise his feet and there's a slightly delayed reaction from Howson. But will they appeal it? He did raise his foot so it looked like intent but it will be argued over many a beer in Norwich.

I enjoyed my walk with the Terrier this morning and never saw anybody to chat to but it was good see that other teams apart from the Boro can switch from dominance to passivity and laid to rest the saying that it's harder against ten men than eleven.

Boro won, that's all that matters. Do not mention the play-offs again. Anyone.

Which team on Saturday, Jekyll or Hyde?

UTB,

John

@k-p-in-spain 

I agree with KP.  It’s great to get a win but it mustn’t be allowed to paper over the cracks that were apparent yet again in the first 20 minutes of the game.  We were poor and made Norwich look like world beaters.  The team formation allowed Norwich the run of the park, the players looked all at sea and it was obvious that confidence was very low.  If it hadn’t been for the red card (a weak one in my decision) we would probably have been well beaten and we would this morning all be full of despair looking very nervously over our shoulders at the league table.

MC and his team need to make sure that we don’t lose on Saturday.  A defeat would make last night’s win a distant memory and would severely dent any confidence the players picked up from beating Norwich.  A win on Saturday would be great but a draw will do.

@werdermouth.  Initially I had the same opinion as you having seen it replayed a few times.

I saw it again this morning on the highlights programme and from a different angle which appeared to show, after the initial contact, that the Norwich player drag his foot down JH’s thigh.  

There did not appear to be much force involved nor did there appear to be any marks/scars but there did appear to be deliberate intent rather than just a coming two.

It will be interesting to see if it is appealed and upheld; whatever the outcome it was a welcome three points. 😎

ReplyQuote

@k-p-in-spain 

if I had been the ref I would have sent him off the laws of the game are quite clear it was deliberate intent not an accident to rake his leg down Howsons thigh !

what about the foul on jones we suffered ? Totally unnoticed but has ruled him unfit for weeks !

I hope any appeal is lost !

OFB

ReplyQuote

@boroexile 

A weak decision !

it was a blatant foul in my opinion!

OFB

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth 

Sorry I feel quite strongly about this red card and it was quite deliberate and he deserved to go to stop this behaviour in football as it’s copied by all those in lower leagues and non league football.

OFB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@k-p-in-spain 

Just watched the incident on the ITVx player and only saw the same camera angles as shown in the highlights and it still doesn't look like an intentional movement by Sainz to hit Howson on the thigh to me.

From my observations, it looked like he was just rocking on his back with his feet in the air when his foot slightly touched Howson's thigh. Sainz is actually holding his leg behind the knee and his foot was naturally coming down as his body twisted round - It appears as if Sainz's leg is briefly being held up by Howson's right calf and as Howson moves away both of Sainz's legs then start to come down with his right foot then brushing against Howson's left thigh as Howson turns slightly towards Sainz - that's why it's not a continuous smooth movement as the removal of Howson's calf cause Sainz's legs to move further back down.

Certainly not violent conduct and there doesn't look like any intentional movement towards Howson. I'd be surprised if an appeal failed if made as it looks impossible to prove any deliberate intent to hit Howson - who over-exaggerated the contact made and the pain by hopping on one leg as the ref came towards them.

Howson may have just suddenly felt the contact of the studs and reacted but surely not a red card.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@original-fat-bob 

I keep looking at the incident and I'm not seeing a deliberate raking of studs in this case. Though I agree the foul on Jones where a deliberate push in the back went unpunished was the wrong decision.

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@original-fat-bob That’s a bit of whataboutery too far I think, given the two incidents weren’t connected. I’ve watched last night’s incident a few times and it doesn’t look intentional, although the referee was in the perfect position so we should expect him to make the right call.

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @deleriad

That'll make the QPR match starter a little easier to write. Was considering making it about absolutely anything other than football.

that made me chuckle 😂

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: