Discussion Forum

Boro v Huddersfield

Boro v Huddersfield

224 Posts
23 Users
1205 Likes

@werdermouth.  "So just one promotion to the PL in 12 seasons when we were actually trying to get there"

That makes depressing reading but there again we have in the past spent longer periods than that outside the top flight.  So is the plight of a Boro fan! 😮😎

ReplyQuote
 gt

It's OK getting younger but you do need balance especially if the older player is better than what you have and is consistently fit,and durable, I'd like to see Boro go after Stuart Armstrong at Southampton,he's 31 but played thirty odd games last season,he'd be a fantastic next to Hackney, a leader ,can tackle and a keeps things moving, last year of his contract , I doubt Southampton would let him go,but you can only enquire

Liked by 4 people: Clive Hurren, Selwynoz, Original Fat Bob and Malcolm

ReplyQuote
jarkko

We talk how difficult it is to get promoted. And I agree.

But remember it has been done by Bournemouth and Luton in the past two seasons. So Boro should be able to do that as well. Up the Boro! 

Martin Bellamy

@werdermouth That's a good point you’ve made - you’re probably right that I can’t have what I’d be happy with, without the club’s desire to be promoted.

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Malcolm, K P in Spain and werdermouth

ReplyQuote

Talking of transfers, I see Man Utd have released Mason Greenwood, how many on diasboro would be prepared to bring him to Boro 🤔, it’s a no from me.

Come on BORO.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@exmil - No from me as well but I guess abroad will beckon.  That multi-billions Saudi League..?

Liked by 4 people: K P in Spain, werdermouth, PaulInBoro and Malcolm

ReplyQuote

Bearing in mind the assessments on here of the pros and cons (predominantly cons) of using loan players, I think it's worth considering where we stand now compared with last season There seems to be a general feeling that we've gone backwards by several steps, a view admittedly supported by having gained just one point from our first nine. We're clearly not the team that we were in the early weeks of 2023 when everyone wanted a part of the Boro and Sky wanted to show all of our matches, but I think that things are rosier when you look across the entire last twelve months. 

If you take a look at some of the team sheets from the start to the end of last season, and compare them with Saturday's, it tells a tale of the transformation that's been wrought and I don't think it's such a bad picture. We can tend to focus on what's been lost from last year, but that's mainly because pretty well all of the incoming loans were highly successful, which was in stark contrast to more or less every season before the last one.
Looking at the players lost:

Zack Steffen - not only has a loan player been replaced with our own player Seny Dieng, who on early form looks to be an upgrade, but by adding Tom Glover and Jamie Jones the entire goalkeeping squad has been replaced. Presumably all three are capable of playing their critical role in the Carrick method, giving us much greater resilience in case of injury, loss of form and international breaks.

Ryan Giles - a hard act to follow obviously, but again a loan player has been replaced with our own player, Lukas Engel. He wasn't given the freedom on Saturday to show whether he can emulate the Giles wonder crosses, but if he is defensively solid, then that aspect, at least, is an improvement.

Cameron Archer - another loan player replaced with our own, Latte Lath. An extremely promising debut and we've got him now, in August. No matter how good Archer was, he contributed nothing to the first half of the season

Chuba Akpom - Chuba was our player, but only for one more year at best. Morgan Rodgers is ours and on a long contract. Trying to assert that he will compensate for the loss of Chuba's goals is stretching credibility, but as this point in the season, Chuba was expected to leave imminently, Boro were floundering, and even when Chuba stayed it would be still another couple of months till he found his natural number 10 role. Rodgers looks to have found it in three games

Aaron Ramsey - replaced, to date with Sammy Silvera. His early missed goals have not helped his cause, but again it's a loanee replaced with our own player

Alex Mowatt -  although not as high profile has some of the others, maybe his loss is being felt more acutely, now we know for sure how hard it is to do without Jonny Howson

Tommy Smith - just a temporary loss, and eventually his role can be played by Tommy Smith. A like-for-like replacement !

As well as plugging all the holes, we've also added in Rav Van Den Berg who should be a good long term replacement/cover for Lenihan and Fry. Also Alex Gilbert of who's not had much of a chance to shine yet.

So looking at the situation now and comparing it with twelve months ago, we were in a pretty parlous state back then, which continued right through till October. We were also missing a player called Hayden Hackey, who nobody outside of Middlesbough and not that many inside Middlesbrough had heard of till Leo released him from wherever he was being held against his will.  

This year as a team we've have a mediocre performance, a poor one and a very promising one. The signs seem to be that, notwithstanding the fixing of the holes that's already gone on, we are, nevertheless, about to plunge into the choppy waters of the loan market again. Who knows where that will lead. If the trajectory is anything like last season, it could be pretty enjoyable.  Let's just hope we don't accidentally land ourselves in the Premier League, because we all know how miserable that can be.

Site Creator

Just read this article on Teesside Live...

Hayden Hackney identifies key area Middlesbrough must address against West Brom

The article uses three quotes from Hackney in successive sentences - see if you can spot the difference...

Hackney told BBC Radio Tees: "We were getting into areas. It's just about that final bit. "It's good that the chances are coming. It would be a problem if they weren't coming. We just need to start putting them away."

Hackney felt there were plenty of positives Middlesbrough could take from the clash but he has urged the team to be more clinical in the final third. "The main thing is the chances are coming so hopefully we can start putting them away," he said.

"We dominated the majority of the game and the positive thing is the chances are coming. On another day, I think we put them away. It is just a matter of time."

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Posted by: @exmil

Talking of transfers, I see Man Utd have released Mason Greenwood, how many on diasboro would be prepared to bring him to Boro 🤔, it’s a no from me.

Come on BORO.

Definite, no, from me. 

Liked by Clive Hurren
ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy 

Definite NO from me.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@exmil 

I'd rather sign Alex Greenwood from women's England team...

ReplyQuote

@peter-surtees 

Great post, Peter.

A lot of good sense there

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Boro interested in a Finnish full international midfielder? I would certainly sign Glen Kamara from Rangers in a minute. He could be the answer in finding a replacement for Howson.

He is a bit shy as a person but has always played well on the international level. He is  27 year old and has 48 full caps including one Euro Finals.

https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/sources-leeds-working-on-glen-kamara-transfer-rangers-man-talks-middlesbrough-coventry

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 9 months ago by jarkko

@werdermouth 

This article was cribbed straight from the Boro video interview after the game !

OFB

ReplyQuote

@peter-surtees 

Great post a welcome addition to the Diasborians!

OFB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Just received an email from MFC Live to say they're giving everyone a £3 partial refund for failing to broadcast the first 20 minutes of the Huddersfield game on Saturday.

Nice gesture given it was a fault beyond their control - basically a free pint for the next game!

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@peter-surtees - Good points made there, Peter.  I suppose buried there is the question "What was the coaching staff doing hiding Hayden Hackney until he was outed by Leo P in his short interregnum last season".  I'm pretty sure he didn't suddenly become good the day Mr Wilder left the club. (Great goal by him against Huddersfield, by the way).

ReplyQuote

@jarkko 

Great player done so well in the Rangers Team.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@peter-surtees.  Excellent post. Well thought out and the content possibly gives us some hope.  

A couple of that could propel us upwards would help.

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth.  🍻 Cheers! 😎

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Posted by: @exmil

Come on BORO.

I've not followed the case against Greenwood but only read the case against him was dropped after key witnesses withdrew their cooperation in the attempted rape and coercive behaviour charge.

Interestingly, the Man Utd internal inquiry came to the following conclusion:

"Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for."

Although, it seems Greenwood has already long since been convicted on social media with a prominent Manchester United supporter and Countdown presenter, Rachael Riley, stating she would stop supporting the club if Greenwood was reinstated.

What we don't know is why the key witnesses withdrew their cooperation and this has not been clarified by the police. So Greenwood didn't face trial so has not had the opportunity to prove his innocence - unlike Benjamin Mendy of Man City, who was recently eventually cleared of 7 rapes, one attempted rape and one sexual assault.

I've not seen any of the social media 'evidence' that convinced many of his guilt but I'm also sceptical of what appears on social media being anything other than selective.

This all comes a month after another high-profile case involving Ryan Giggs where he too was cleared of controlling or coercive behaviour and assault towards his former partner Kate Greville as well as assaulting her sister Emma.

In all three cases, the guilt of footballers appeared to be a forgone conclusion after much 'evidence' was put out into the media both digital and conventional. However, none of those charged have been convicted of a criminal offence but have nevertheless been judged by the public to have been guilty of unacceptable behavior based on what they have heard.

Trial by media it seems now outweighs criminal proceedings in determining guilt.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@werdermouth -  Social media has a lot to answer for.  Many use it without thought, with bad language and libellous statements and accusations bandied about. Many users fail to appreciate they may be liable in damages for untrue comments posted onto websites and blogs and the fact it is done from some lonely bedroom late at night, or under a pseudonym would offer no protection. 

On the other hand comments which are perfectly legal expressions of opinion can lead to people, even famous people whose expressed views might be described as mainstream, being "cancelled" or being made the subject of an internet "pile-on" with even threats of death bring made against them. 

The traditional "media" often tells stories in a way that vilify the people concerned, or mislead the public.  Remember that chap several years ago (retired geography teacher from the south west of England)?) who was mentioned in reporting as being the person responsible for some sexual offences except it later became apparent it had nothing to do with him.

Sad world.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Forever Dormo

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @werdermouth

basically a free pint for the next game!

In 1993 maybe...

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@deleriad 

According to Tripadvisor, the average price of a pint in Middlesbrough in 2023 is £3.18 - though my preferred 0.5 litre bottle of Krombacher lager still comes in at under half of that £3 refund so it will be more than a game of two halves for me 😉 

jarkko

@malcolm Leeds Utd have been very strongly linked with a move to sign Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara in the last few weeks, with the 27-year-old seemingly set to depart from Ibrox.

I think Glen is a better player than Forss at the moment. But in different positions, of course. Up the Boro!

This post was modified 9 months ago by jarkko

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth 

I’ll drink to that 🍻 

OFB

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Ref to the case of Greenwood and others, could it be and I'm daring myself to say could there have been a pay off to the victims to keep them quiet etc?

Liked by exmil and Martin Bellamy
ReplyQuote

@werdermouth.  I suspect that MU’s internal investigation has nevertheless found that MG’s actions/mistakes, some of which he acknowledges himself, have been sufficient to terminate his contract; albeit on an agreed basis whatever that might be. 😎

ReplyQuote

@malcolm 

Ssshhhh

Liked by Malcolm
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@malcolm 

If there was any evidence of that then all parties would have been charged with conspiracy to pervert the cause of justice - so we can assume there were no payments made. Likewise, if the evidence against Greenwood presented on social media was so convincing then it would have been used by the police to bring a conviction - it seems it wasn't. No doubt people will speculate on the matter and decide for themselves on guilt - it what feeds social media and truth is as always now what people believe to be true.

Greenwood had no future at a big club with a big brand like Man Utd where the income generated from merchandise and sponsorships far outweighs the value of an individual player - there is nothing in it for Man Utd to keep a tainted player and hope it will blow over - his future as a big star is over and if he's lucky he'll pick up a big pay cheque and resume his career away from the limelight without any sponsorship deals or any kind of media profile. Maybe in the USA where they go more for the whole redemption story of the bad boy becomes changed man.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 8
Share: