Discussion Forum

Boro v Huddersfield

Boro v Huddersfield

224 Posts
23 Users
1205 Likes
Pedro de Espana

Come on Gentlemen, can we now draw a line under the Greenwood affair and move onto issues relevant to MFC. We do not any falling out.

The clock is ticking towards the transfer window closure. Do we think MC will get the players he craves?

If the NE link is to be near the mark, and we are looking to make permanent signings, then I hope Mr Gibson is able to sanction players who can go straight into the first team.

To be honest, I did not think we would have that much money available. 6/8  million perhaps for two decent players?

gt

Interesting thought

Recent seasons players we've brought in 

Balugon value apparently 35m +

Archer 18+

RAMSAY 14+

ACPOM 12+

GILES 5+

Why are we were we are, this is the  frustration 

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @gt

Interesting thought

Recent seasons players we've brought in 

Balugon value apparently 35m +

Archer 18+

RAMSAY 14+

ACPOM 12+

GILES 5+

Why are we were we are, this is the  frustration 

Four of those players were loans so we never really had them, I think their values increased after their loan spells with Boro.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@exmil    To be honest exmil,   I think that Balogun’s value increased from his season loan spell at Reims, scoring 21 goals in 37 League appearances. 

Generally, the French Leugue is not as high a standard as the EPL. Would he be able to score as many goals playing, possibly for Chelsea? He would get decent service I guess. However a quoted fee of 50 million on one season is ridiculous. Still, that is football in 2023. 

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

Twitter is currently alive with Leeds fans salivating because it appears Rangers’ Glen Kamara is going to sign for them. That one always looked unlikely for us.  Let’s hope Boro have plenty of other irons in the fire. 

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

The more I see the transfer fees being demanded for our ex-loan players the more I am encouraging by the ability of the transfer group to identify and obtain quality players and the ability if the training group to improve them.

I really believe that we are creating a successful model.

utb

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@clive-hurren 

It was always going to be hard for Boro to sign any of the players they've been linked with in the media as it seems they were competing with newly relegated clubs with parachute payments and even with newly promoted teams in PL.

Indeed, it's going to be difficult to get players of the quality that we've lost from last season - the fact that Archer is going to be signed for around £18m by Sheff Utd and Ramsey is joining fellow promoted hopefuls Burnley indicates how good those loan deals were - not to mention Giles joining Luton.

As OFB mentioned and local media has now also reported, Carrick is after 3 signings this week - expectations from supporters may be higher than what is achievable in terms of bringing in players who are on the verge of being PL quality like in the last window. As others have mentioned, historically loan signings have not always been successful - particularly at the sharp end.

I suspect the January window is better suited to getting hold of higher quality loan deals as presumably those who are shipped out in August weren't considered capable of playing in the PL - whereas, those available in January often just didn't get their chance and clubs and players are looking to get minutes on the pitch to revive careers.

Selwynoz

Based on the reported Boro interest in Isaac Hayden (28) and Glen Kamara (27) I find it interesting that, rather then becoming hostage to more young loan stars, the club seems to be going after more experienced players who can't hold down a role at higher grade clubs but can still come in and make an impact in the Boro first team. Kamara seems to be lost to Leeds - maybe Forss can get through to hm - but the pattern seems clear. They will, hopefully, become a bridging strategy until our younger players come through into the first team.

UTB

ReplyQuote

@selwynoz.  Based upon the EG report it appears Hayden would be high risk given his injury record.  Hope as Clive says, MFC have other irons in the fire. 😎

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain   Quite so. Whilst any player can pickup a long term injury, even though they are not seen as “injury prone”. Timber at Arsenal.

We have sufficient of the above ourselves at the moment. As players get older, Father Time usually kicks in. That makes Howson’s record quite remarkable. 

Younger players are a safer bet.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Patience, friends, patience!  Let's see what develops, in terms of player acquisition/loan signings in the days to come. Let's also see which young players from the Youth set-up have made sufficient progress over the last year.  How many of us, this time last year, would have put faith in a yound lad called Hayden Hackney as an essential part of the team's midfield?

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Apparently a good loanee is too expensive for us to sign permanately the season after.

Chelsea, Inter Milan and Monaco have all enquired about signing Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun. He was on loan to Boro a while ago.  Arsenal's valuation of the 22-year-old, believed to be in the region of £50m, has meant that Chelsea have not made an offer as things stand.

Cameron Archer needs to leave Aston Villa to continue his development, according to head coach Unai Emery. The England Under-21 international is on the verge of joining Sheffield United.

The Blades agreed a £18.5million transfer fee with Villa to sign the striker earlier this week. It is understood Archer underwent a medical on Wednesday.

I personally like more the current policy of signing young talent permanately. If we go for loan players only - and if they are successful  - we cannot get them back the following season. 

With loan players, one needs to rebuilt the team after every summer. Like we have done this time around. We have signed nine new players and we still expect three to arrive (and a few to leave on loan, too).

No wonder we have not started the season any better than we have. And then we also had Akpom and Howson injured when the season kicked off.

But it is like that as we do not have more money. If we could get to the play-offs this season, we have a bigger squad and more depth in our squad now compared to last season. We just need to get the goals in now and hopefully Latte Lath will help in there.

Up the Boro! 

This post was modified 9 months ago 2 times by jarkko

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @forever-dormo

Patience, friends, patience!  Let's see what develops, in terms of player acquisition/loan signings in the days to come. Let's also see which young players from the Youth set-up have made sufficient progress over the last year.  How many of us, this time last year, would have put faith in a yound lad called Hayden Hackney as an essential part of the team's midfield?

I agree with your sentiments FD particularly in relation to HH.  

It is, however, difficult to put your faith in any player until you have seen them play in the Championship and also that they have been given a fair run in the team; all too often both young and more senior players have not been trusted with sufficient game time to make a fair assessment of their abilities.😎

This post was modified 9 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

No arguments with the points made above by Jarkko and KP.  This thread ends in sweetness and light as we turn our attention to WBA v Boro!

This post was modified 9 months ago by Forever Dormo

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8
Share: