Discussion Forum

Bolton v Boro (EFL ...

Bolton v Boro (EFL Cup)

182 Posts
22 Users
730 Likes
Topic starter  

Bolton Wanderers will host Championship outfit Middlesbrough (otherwise known as “the Boro”) in the Carabao Cup second round in a repeat of the 2004 final which is the only trophy that we have won of any note.

Ian Evatt’s Bolton men beat League Two Barrow 1-0 in the opening round of the Carabao Cup thanks to West Brom loanee Zac Ashworth’s free kick.

Meanwhile, Boro ran out 3-2 winners at Huddersfield after goals from Samuel Silvera, Isaiah Jones and Riley McGree.

Wanderers are winless in their last 10 matches against the North East club – a run stretching back to April 2013.

Bolton were beaten 2-0 when the sides last met in April 2019, with Ashley Fletcher (who?) bagging a brace that day.

The draw last night was carried out by former Leicester defender Wes Morgan and ex-Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill.

The competition remains regionalised at this stage, with separate draws taking place for the northern and southern sections.

A number of top flight clubs enter the competition in the second round including the likes of Chelsea and Tottenham.

All second-round fixtures are currently scheduled to take place on Tuesday, August 30 and Wednesday, August 31.

So hopefully progression through to the next round of Boro win this game and then play at home to a Premiership club eventually.

Can Boro win promotion and win this trophy? Of course we can foam hands 🙌 has spoken !

Me? I’m going for a 2 0 win to Boro !

OFB

This topic was modified 9 months ago by Original Fat Bob

Thanks OFB for the opener, WOW talk about competition for Akpom, it seems as though we have competition for “opener” writing, this one 3 weeks before the match, well done OFB for getting your bid in early 😂😂😂.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @exmil

Thanks OFB for the opener, WOW talk about competition for Akpom, it seems as though we have competition for “opener” writing, this one 3 weeks before the match, well done OFB for getting your bid in early 😂😂😂.

Come on BORO.

And posted at 04.03 this morning, to boot!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@stircrazy 

i have a chest / breathing problem at the moment so not sleeping. ! ( neither is Mrs OFB !  )

I started to go through our list of contributors for the lead posts and thought to save time I would post a brief opener to start off the next cup game and then the problem would be solved who would do what!

I and Andy are grateful for those who are sharing the load this season but it made sense to do a brief starter post that we could then all use for the next three weeks!

I’m not trying to jump the queue honest !  😢

OFB

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

@stircrazy 

i have a chest / breathing problem at the moment so not sleeping. ! ( neither is Mrs OFB !  )

Sorry to hear that, Bob.  Are the medics able to help at all?

ReplyQuote

Best wishes, Bob. Hope it clears up.

ReplyQuote

OFB, I find 8-10 pints of John Smiths really helps, as I will do tonight.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

Brilliant,  OFB! 

I must say this Bolton game is as tough as they come. They made the play-offs last season and have started with a bang this season. My grandson, who goes to all their home games and many away, says they were ‘phenomenal’ last week at home to Lincoln. We know they’re very strong at home. Manager Ian Evatt has done an amazing job. We should have enough class to beat them, but this will be a real test. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@stircrazy 

been to docs today and on antibiotics many thanks for asking 

OFB

Liked by 4 people: deleriad, K P in Spain, Selwynoz and Powmill-Naemore

ReplyQuote

@stircrazy 

OFB

Good to hear.  I hope they have the desired effect.

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @stircrazy

@stircrazy 

OFB

Good to hear.  I hope they have the desired effect.

..and Mrs OFB can get a good night's  sleep 🙄

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Keep safe @OFB

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob?  Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in shortly.

Just back from hospital, Mrs P has been in overnight for three hernia repairs (never does anything by halves) so now doing my nursing and housekeeping duties!

My biggest worry is that I will be so exhausted by Saturday I fall asleep during the match!  Assuming I have time to watch it! 😉😎

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

@k-p-in-spain Best wishes to Mrs KP for a speedy recovery and I hope she isn't too uncomfortable in the meantime.

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob get yourself fit, we don't need a bench warmer!

Well done on the headliner too, Bolton, another team of a Millwall persuasion for me and although we should win against them we are still talking about the Boro.

KP in Spain, I hope the other half is recovering from three, three(!?), hernias. that'll be sore. Good luck with the housework. . .

All the best everyone.

UTB,

John

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Best wishes to everyone who’s suffering at the moment. Let’s hope the recent (short) bout of sunshine will help to get people on the mend. 

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Best wishes from me to every one suffering, too. Keep fit and follow the Boro!

BTW, have you all noticed that the match will be an early kick-off tomorrow. Up the Boro! 

ReplyQuote

Thanks for all the best wishes.  Mrs P is understandably still very sore but slowly improving.

Still trying to come to terms with machinery in the kitchen whilst Mrs P now has full control and understanding of the TV remote, much to my concern.  I may never get it back! 😎

ReplyQuote

@john-richardson.  Yes three!  In last three years she has had kidney and gallbladder removed.  

Consultant said that at least one hernia was as a result of previous surgery and not uncommon.

The biggest problem was that only two hernias could be repaired laparoscopically and the other one was open surgery involving making the incision through existing scar tissue - ouch!  

Dealing with the pain with her usual stoicism and better than I could.

I expect her to make a full recovery unless she dies from food poisoning in the meantime! 😉😎

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Posted by: @jarkko

BTW, have you all noticed that the match will be an early kick-off tomorrow. Up the Boro! 

Timing makes it a bit awkward. I’ll be at the Lionesses game here in Sydney which kicks off one hour before the Boro. I’ll watch it on replay when I get home.

utb and the girls

ReplyQuote

@k-p-in-spain 

You can't go wrong with all of those lovely fresh ingredients in Spain. You'll soon be a gourmet and a chef  plus having a new role in life!

Best wishes,

UTB

John

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@john-richardson 

Oh noooo!

You’ve lost the TV remote !

Seriously hope she and yourself get well soon at least we’re all still here and battling on and looking forward to the Boro getting promotion !

Thanks to all for the best wishes 

OFB

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Posted by: @jarkko

Thanks for the heads up - I hadn’t realised we were on Sky. It’s left me in a bit of a quandary because my plan was to watch the Lionesses in the morning, followed by the RL Challenge Cup later. 

Decisions, decisions…

ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy.  At least you have a decision to make, I might not get the remote back! 😉😎

ReplyQuote

My plan is to watch the lionesses first half, then Boro takes precedence.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Posted by: @exmil

My plan is to watch the lionesses first half, then Boro takes precedence.

Come on BORO.

I’m hoping the Lionesses are 4-0 up by the time we kick off, so that I can tune in the Boro. 

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

@martin-bellamy.  At least you have a decision to make, I might not get the remote back! 😉😎

Fortunately, I’m home alone (apart from Ralf and he’s got no opposable thumbs) so I have a clear run. Tbf Alison is gutted that she’s missing the World Cup game but strangely her Mum’s birthday seems to have taken priority. 

ReplyQuote

All second-round fixtures are currently scheduled to take place on Tuesday, August 30 and Wednesday, August 31.

Date of tie confirmed for Tuesday, 29th August, 19.45 KO:

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2023/august/11/bolton-carabao-cup-date-confirmed/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@stircrazy 

Looks like I got the dates wrong ! Doh 🙄!

OFB

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

So we turn to the cup for our glory this season !

OFB

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7
Share: