Discussion Forum

January 2024 transf...

January 2024 transfer window

330 Posts
23 Users
1570 Likes

Posted by: @stircrazy

A new site on me - Hoppe & Gilbert to go out on loan?

https://www.boro.news/transfers/middlesbrough-could-now-sanction-deadline-day-loan-exits-for-first-team-duo/

But not interested in Tyler Goodrham - MC wants a new striker:

https://www.boro.news/transfers/tyler-goodrham-update-as-middlesbrough-linked-with-swoop-for-oxford-united-man/

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@stircrazy. Yes new site for me to, although they seem to be just regurgitating stories from local papers. 

Hoppe and Gilbert out on loan or sold even, would not be a surprise. Kavanagh sold omis a surprise though. 

Have MFC got a striker lined up and ready to sign?

ReplyQuote

Striker Calum Kavanagh has joined Bradford City in a permanent transfer.

The 20-year-old links up with the League Two club in a deadline day switch.

The youngster has bagged more than 20 goals since stepping up to our U21s and is the leading goalscorer this time around.

OFB

ReplyQuote

BRYANT BILONGO has left Middlesbrough to join National League side Ebbsfleet on loan for the remainder of the season.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@pedro 

In some ways it's a surprise to see Kavanagh sold but given he wasn't getting selected even when Boro had no fit strikers then perhaps that indicated Carrick didn't see him as an option. Be interesting to see how he does at Bradford but that now leaves Boro quite light up front so expect at least one signing before the deadline.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Posted by: @pedro

@stircrazy. Yes new site for me to, although they seem to be just regurgitating stories from local papers. 

Hoppe and Gilbert out on loan or sold even, would not be a surprise. Kavanagh sold omis a surprise though. 

Have MFC got a striker lined up and ready to sign?

Surely, there should be some one lined up.At least I hope so 😎. Up the Boro! 

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob 

You make a really great point on the role of Danks in the Rogers saga.

He was obviously a key figure in signing the lad, as well as coaching and developing him while he was here, and it may well be that he was an internal source trusted by the Villa hierarchy in assuring them that there were no hidden problems and that Rogers had both the ability and character to develop into a Premier League player.

It's not a point I have seen made anywhere else in the voluminous coverage of the transfer.

Well spotted young man.

Given the lack of paper talk on Boro being associated with any named centre forwards and the club’s stance of only buying good fits, I am not expecting them to sign a CF in this window. 😎

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

@k-p-in-spain ... and I for one will not be sitting up late watching the last minute deals as they happen in real time....

ReplyQuote

From CJ

Gossip: Boro linked with Manuel Benson loan deal

A new link. Alan Nixon of the Sun claims Boro are in for Manuel Benson, on loan from Burnley.

The forward has been linked with Southampton and Leeds this month and Vincent Kompany left him out of Burnley's squad last season, admitting he could leave today.

Benson was a star of Burnley's promotion-winning team last season and scored twice against Boro at Turf Moor. He's a left-footed wide man who like to cut in from the right.

We're trying to check this one out. Priority all day has obviously been a striker, but we did mention very early on, don't rule out a forward if no strikers are available because Forss can, of course, play up top. We'll update if we hear anything further on this one.

Liked by Forever Dormo
ReplyQuote

Manuel Benson update

Told he's unlikely to be joining Boro tonight. He was an option Boro actually explored yesterday but it didn't come off.

Burnley loaning Anass Zaroury to Hull City, which is most likely to mean they keep Benson.

Can't definitely say no because these things change so quickly and clearly he was a target yesterday. But it's not currently something Boro are expecting to do.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@malcolm   Looks like we are running out of time for anyone, never mind a striker.

Liked by jarkko and Malcolm
ReplyQuote

@pedro definitely my friend

ReplyQuote

Chuba Akpom

His proposed move to Nottingham Forest has fallen through and, as things stand, he'll be remaining at Ajax until the end of the season at least.

•  
  •  

Liked by Clive Hurren
ReplyQuote
jarkko

Elsewhere Rotherham United have signed Wigan Athletic striker Charlie Wyke. He, 31, played under Millers boss Leam Richardson for the Latics.

In November 2021, Richardson gave Wyke CPR after the striker collapsed during a training session.

And of course Wyke came through the academy at Boro. UTB!

Liked by Clive Hurren and Malcolm
ReplyQuote
jarkko

No new striker yesterday. So we will continue with Latte Lath,  Coburn and Forss. 

But we will get a couple of 'new" players in  a fortnight when McGree and Silvera will return. The forner will be huge player for us in attacking midfield and the latter can also play as a striker if needed.

The Socceroos will now play in the quarter-final on Friday (today). Should Australia progress further, the semi-final is on Tuesday 6 February with the final the following Saturday.

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 3 months ago by jarkko

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Clive Hurren, Malcolm and Powmill-Naemore

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

That's all folks!

In: Azaz (perm), Ayling & Thomas (loan)

Out: Rogers, Kavanagh, Bilongo (loan)

Out injured: Bangura

A functional rather than exciting window where we plugged our gaps at full back and brought in Azaz to develop only to unexpectedly lose Rogers.

The onus now is on our coaching staff to get more out of the players we have and our medical staff to reduce the absurd number of injuries we're suffering.

After 28 games we're on 40 points with identical home and away records so it's reasonable to aim for 1.5 points per game for the final 18 matches which would see us end the season outside the playoffs on 67 points. 

The real question is going to be what happens in the summer. Last summer we had a huge reset which put us a long way behind the starting line when the season started. We can't afford that again but with 4 loanees playing for the first team, McGree moving into the last year of his contract and Premier league vultures circling around Hackney, it's going to be hard to avoid. 

Pedro de Espana

@deleriad   Disappointing to lose Rodger’s and not bring in a striker, even on loan.

It is going to be one hard task to reach the plays offs. We have no consistency in our game to game performances for a start and there are a number of teams above us with better equipped squads.

Come the summer, there needs to be a fair turnaround of playing staff, if we are going to even dream of the play offs. 
With regards to the loanees, there is only O’Brien, that I would contemplate signing at this moment. Ayling looks to offer more the Smith, who I would let go. 

We will need to start our recruitement early, assuming we lose both HH and McGree, which is likely. We can only hope the former has an excellent end to the season, so as to boost his status. However, I cannot see bids of much more the 15 million to be honest. McGree, may be 5M.

We will need ready made Championship players. A, right back, a centre back, a ball playing MF, all with pace. Then someone to replace McGree on the left and at least one strong striker with some pace. 

Of course it could be worse. Carrack maybe poached, and then it could all go in a different direction. Or Woodgate may step up. Now that’s a thought to ponder on. 

@pedro 

The thought of Woodgate scares me 😕 

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

@malcolm 

Yes, I agree. I think he’s probably a good coach - I say probably because our defence has been our biggest weakness for some time - and he did quite well in his short spell managing Bournemouth. I’d bet he has also learned a huge amount working with Carrick, who, in turn, seems to trust him. I’m sure Woody wouldn’t make the same mistakes he made last time should we reappoint him, but I think he would be a risk. Given that we may have to rebuild (again) in summer, I think I’d rather go with someone who has a track record of success at other clubs, should the worst happen and MC moves on.  

I would look seriously at Ian Evatt, who did a brilliant job at Barrow and now looks as if he will get Bolton promoted, having missed out narrowly last year. 

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

Martin

1000 posts! Wow. 🎂🎂🎂

I’m going to pour myself a large glass of Bordeaux to celebrate! Or maybe two, just to be sure.  🍷🍷

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

Martin

Sorry! That sounded sarcastic! It wasnt meant to be. I’m genuinely imoressed! 

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

Impressed, even. 🫣

Liked by jarkko
ReplyQuote
jarkko

@deleriad Aren't two of the four loanees ending their current contract in June 2024? If we want, we can sign Thomas and Ayling for free. If we can afford their salary, that is. And we can sign Greenwood for a million pounds if we want, too

Anyway, we are in much better situation than in the summer of 2023. Not so many new players needed now.

And I think we should get to the top six if we can keep our players fit. If we can get the average amount of points we have got since end of September. That should be enough.

I hope we do not chop and change our starting eleven as per who is fit. I rather hope MC can pick the players he WANTS and not what he is forced to pick. I trust him to get the squad playing well if we just avoid injuries like we did last year under him.

And we will have a fully fit McGree back in two weeks' time, too. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@clive-hurren Sounds good. I’ll have a Malbec please. 🍷

Liked by Clive Hurren
ReplyQuote

@jarkko I am watching Australia v Korea in the Asian cup quarter final, the commentator has said that McGree isn’t fully fit to start as he is still returning from injury 🤔.

Come on BORO.

Liked by jarkko
ReplyQuote

@jarkko.  I believe the EG were reporting that Thomas’s contract runs to 2025 and doesn’t end this year, so a fee would be involved if we wanted him. 😎

Liked by jarkko, Malcolm and deleriad
ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@exmil   Korea have just equalised in the 96 minute. McGree is on as a sub. Could do with Korea winning this one. 

Apologies to those down under.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Australia lead 1 nil until the 96th minute when Son got a penalty for Korea, converted so we go into extra time, McGree came on in the 65th minute.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

103 minutes, Son makes it 2-1 to Korea.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 11
Share: