Discussion Forum

January 2024 transf...

January 2024 transfer window

330 Posts
23 Users
1570 Likes
Selwynoz

We have to think that a deal that sees MFC clearing Pds10 million plus add-ons that may kick in a further Pds3-5 million over time would be a hard offer to refuse. Even after spending some money on a loan or new prospect, it would help the clubs financial position. I find myself rather conflicted as, naturally, I would like to see him develop and deliver at Middlesbrough but I don't think that any of us had seen this kind of deal. It's close to a club record sale, isn't it? Having said that, do we need the money now and is it still likely to be there in the summer?

UTB

Philip of Huddersfield

It’s good to see that Boro are standing firm on a possible Rodger’s deal as reports say they have turned down a third offer. Perhaps with many deals these days potential add ons are included which makes the deal sound better. I’m sure we’d all prefer more cash up front.

So, will he go?   I expect so.   I just hope Boro are working on possible deals now and are not scrambling about in the next 24 hours - when prices increase particularly when the selling club know Boro have cash from the Rodger’s deal.

On the other hand it would be a major achievement if Boro retain him.

Meanwhile, the locals( Huddersfield) are looking for a new manager. Moore who was sacked after  3 wins out of 21 games would probably have been sacked much earlier at other Clubs. The fans would love to see Neil Warnock back but I don’t think it will happen as they let him go 3 months before the agreed date.

Philip of Huddersfield 

@werdermouth 

just been watching the Boro interview with our new Wing back Left back full  back whatever back! Luke said in his interview that he watched the Chelsea Game ! He said he likes to play out from the back so expect him to start on Sunday as Left Back ! Or whatever !

OFB

ReplyQuote

With regards to the ongoing transfer saga about Rogers (how much of it is press speculation regarding the 3 offers). I have had a look at two other championship transfer battles, Sunderland are reported to have rejected a £13.6m bid from Lazio for Clarke and Blackburn have rejected a £18.5m bid from Palace for Wharton, are we selling ourselves short with pricing Rogers at £12m 🤔

Come on BORO.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
jarkko

I hope we could sign a decent centre forward this month. On loan or permanately as we have the on-going injuries to both Latte Lath and Coburn. 

We have perhaps too many players available to the attacking three in midfield/attack. We have McGree, Jones, Azaz, Crooks, Greenwood,  Rogers, Silvera and Forss. That is eight (8) players fighting for three spots on the field.

In addition we do have Gilbert  and Hoppe, so actually 10 players for the three positions. We can possibly afford Rogers to go. But naturally I would like him to stay until the summer.

Let's hope we can keep Hackney, too. He is not yet back to his best after the injury, but he will be vital part of our play this spring.

So I am not going to bother if Rogers stays or goes. I prefer him to stay but let's hope we see a centre forward to arrive.

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

Breaking news:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24084980.aston-villa-agree-deal-middlesbrough-morgan-rogers/

£16m with £10m upfront 🤔 Confirmed on Sky Sports News.

Come on BORO.

This post was modified 3 months ago by exmil

Liked by Selwynoz and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@exmil hope we can get someone in before Thursday night

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@malcolm.  Yes but only if it is a goal scorer who is not a panic buy and someone we have been courting but not had the finances previously to do a deal.

It would not surprise me if we didn’t sign anyone. 😎

This post was modified 3 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

@exmil  

I suppose if at the outset of Villa’s approach we would have said this was a good deal. In view of other reported possible deals then I’d say it’s ok.

The downside is some of the fee will be going to Man. City who seem to run their Academy to make a profit on the many players they have on loan who are subsequently sold without getting too close to the first team.

Let’s hope in the next 24 hours we read of an incoming centre forward 

Philip of Huddersfield 

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Pedro de Espana, Malcolm and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

@philip-of-huddersfield , hope this report makes things clearer:

https://www.manchestercity.news/player-who-left-the-etihad-in-2023-now-agrees-pl-return-man-city-make-millions-through-sell-on-clause/

Still good business for Boro I think, well done Scott and his team.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Posted by: @exmil

@philip-of-huddersfield , hope this report makes things clearer:

https://www.manchestercity.news/player-who-left-the-etihad-in-2023-now-agrees-pl-return-man-city-make-millions-through-sell-on-clause/

Still good business for Boro I think, well done Scott and his team.

Come on BORO.

good business indeed. £6.5 million instant profit after paying City the original fee and percentage. We stand to get another £3.75 million net if things work out at Villa and maybe even a slice of something bigger in the future. As for the playing side, between Azaz, McGree, Greenwood, Silvera and others, someone has to step up and fill any gap.

This is who we are now and it’s pretty amazing to turn a profit like this in just six months.

UTB

ReplyQuote
 gt

There's a right time to buy. Unless your Jack Charlton., and a right time to sell. Considering the climate of ffp . Nobody is buying it's good business.

ReplyQuote

It's a good deal for Boro but we have lost an influential player, who would have definitely helped us to get into the top six.

The question  is who is next to go, perhaps Hackney, not just now but perhaps at end at the of the season.

The power of the Premier League is a huge prize for championship players.

It's a difficult situation for the supporters, who have already  expressed their feelings on other forums that Boro are becoming a selling club.

If Boro  wanted to try and get into the play offs, then I think the selling of Rogers has put a big dent in that ambition unless at the last minute on Thursday night we get another Juninho or Ravanelli. Dream on Malcolm! 

Site Creator

It seemed inevitable that Rogers would leave in the January window and good to see Boro holding their nerve and getting their asking price, which could see them ultimately banking a £10m profit on a player who in the end only started 14 game - not even a third of a season! If only all purchases could see that kind of return.

However, he will be a miss and with only 48 hours left to find some extra firepower then recruitment do have their work cut out - that said, if any new arrival takes as long as Rogers to settle and show their ability then the season will likely be over before that happens.

Not sure how the move will work out for Rogers, he looks like a confidence player who will need a good start - he looked well off it for the first few months at Boro and few (if any) would have imagined him leaving for £15m in January. I wish him luck at Villa as he's going to need it to jump to the next level in a side aiming for the Champions League.

Powmill-Naemore

Well done Boro. Apart from how much more Rogers will earn from the move, from a footballing perspective I fear he has made a huge mistake, but good luck to him and I will be happy enough for him to prove me wrong.

I am glad he has moved on. Given  Villa's open approaches as I am sure there would have been an impact in the dressing room had he been made to stay with us.

Recruitment have known this was coming for a couple of weeks already, so hopefully there is someone waiting in the wings to be signed. Or, perhaps MC is happy with what he has coming back from injury and international duty. We will know today or tomorrow.

jarkko

Ryan Giles has joined Hull City on loan for the remainder of the season, with an option to buy him permanently in the summer.

Perhaps we prefered Luke Thomas who has played more in the EPL. We must have know Giles was available.

Of course it would have been nice to dream Giles and Akpom on loan and back at Boro.

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by jarkko

Site Creator

@jarkko 

I'd definitely have Akpom back on loan if it were possible - it doesn't appear to be working out for him at Ajax where he's only played 400 minutes all season with just 90 minutes played once. He has scored 5 league goals though with them all coming in November where 4 of them came in 50 minutes of three sub appearances. Though amazingly he has no assists, which probably means he's not been played in his best position like Carrick did. Doesn't sound to me like he will progress with Ajax and not looking like the £10m player we sold.

Philip of Huddersfield

Obviously Giles didn’t impress at Luton as he played very few games. He was never Premiership class. He is a good Championship winger able to create chances for others but rarely scored himself, but not a defender and so, in my opinion, is not cut out as a modern wing back.

I often wonder what the add ons are as part of the many transfer deals. They are rarely released and probably few materialise.

Thinking of Rodger’s  deal could there be a payment if eg

He Plays as few as 10 games in his first full season 

He is chosen for Under 23 national team

He scores say 10 goals in his first or second season and/ say 10 assists 

Villa qualify for Europe this year / next year

Or, are they much more challenging than the above?

Presumably, the main add on will be if he is sold for a profit and Boro will get a share.

What else could be included?

I would think the add on clauses will have to be very carefully worded and possibly manipulated by the selling club in future transfers to minimise the amount paid to the Club the player came from.

Just my thoughts as I check the transfer info 

Philip of Huddersfield 

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@jarkko   I would guess that Thomas will be somewhat cheaper than Giles. Also it would may be upset the squad and Engel?

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@werdermouth   I agree, he has not had a fair crack at emulating his Boro form in Holland. Neither the current Coach or the sacked Coach obviously fancied him. It has also been said that he lack technical ability.

My next door neighbour is not happy with him. Money wasted, although I find that somewhat unfair.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@pedro Cheaper? Hull can afford Giles but not Boro?

I think we thought Thomas is just better and more experinced but young. Perhaps recommended by Southgate, too. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

Rogers has completed his medical and will sign a 5.5 year contract tomorrow.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Posted by: @jarkko

@pedro Cheaper? Hull can afford Giles but not Boro?

I think we thought Thomas is just better and more experienced but young. Perhaps recommended by Southgate, too. Up the Boro!

I'm surprised to read that Giles has not only joined Hull on loan but is apparently available to them for Pds4 million in the summer. I'm not sure what has happened between Luton buying him in the summer as a great prospect for what was reported to be Pds5 million and now being ready to let him go at a loss of Pds 1 million. Maybe the information isn't correct but it seems a little odd. Maybe he wasn't physical enough for their style of play.

Anyway, I'm happy with Engel and Bangura for the long term and Thomas to fill in until the summer when we can make a decision.

UTB

Martin Bellamy

I found this article about how Football differs from other businesses quite interesting (from today’s Guardian). 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/01/business-and-football-unique-nature-of-sport-rule-unto-itself?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

PS. I’ve just noticed that this is my 1000th post. 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Martin Bellamy

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @martin-bellamy

'... I’ve just noticed that this is my 1000th post. 

Congratulations !!!

ReplyQuote

The Rogers story has even made the sports section of the front page of the BBC News web site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68154784

ReplyQuote

A new site on me - Hoppe & Gilbert to go out on loan?

https://www.boro.news/transfers/middlesbrough-could-now-sanction-deadline-day-loan-exits-for-first-team-duo/

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Malcolm, K P in Spain and Powmill-Naemore

ReplyQuote

What a story it's been for Rogers - who joined from Man City in the summer for a fee worth a little over £1 million. Known to Aaron Danks from his time coaching in West Brom's academy. Whilst credit has been given to the Boro recruitment team, it’s worth noting that Danks has been the prime moving force for identifying the loan players last season that we all wanted to sign and now this season culminating in the signing and ultimately sale,of Roger’s.

I bet Danks has had a wry smile when all the plaudits have been given to Scott and his recruitment team!

OFB

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

NewsNow, saying Bradfird have signed Calum Kavanagh for an undisclosed fee.

Liked by 5 people: Selwynoz, Malcolm, K P in Spain, Powmill-Naemore and jarkko

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @pedro

NewsNow, saying Bradfird have signed Calum Kavanagh for an undisclosed fee.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/bradford-city-transfer-latest-middlesbrough-forward-becomes-bantams-third-signing-of-winter-window-4501297

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 11
Share: