Discussion Forum

Boro v Southampton

Boro v Southampton

152 Posts
23 Users
764 Likes

Ipswich 2-1 at home to Blackburn.   *lightbulb moment*  Perhaps Boro could ask to try some of what the Tractor Boys are having...

That said - Craig Johns:

Boro so unlucky!

How are they not level? That is so unlucky! Coburn does excellent. Drives at Southampton and holds off his marker before eventually sliding Jones in behind. Jones does excellent with the ball slightly behind him and then from the narrow angle looks for the far corner. Beats Bazuna but is heading wide only for McGree to slide it just beyond the back post. He diverts it back towards goal but its [sic] cleared off the line.

ReplyQuote

McGree equalises for Boro in the 44th minute:

Excellent press from Jones after switching flanks with McGree. He knicks it from Holgate and the loose ball finds McGree with Boro now 4-on-3 in their favour. McGree uses the runners to open up a gap and then hammers it low beyond Bazunu.

This post was modified 7 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote

Wendies losing 0-1 away to Swansea at H/T.  They & Boro have now swapped places in the table.  Ipswch 3-1 at H/T.

Plymouth 4-0 at home to Norwich...

This post was modified 7 months ago by Stircrazy

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

CJ's assessment of the first half:

That's been better from Boro. They deserved their equaliser. Shot themselves in the foot again with another poor goal to concede after a really bright start. Responded well though and have been full of positivity, albeit without that final killer ball or finish until McGree fired in just before the break.

ReplyQuote

There has been a lot of criticism of Howson from some quarters but for me Hackney looks a better player when he is alongside him.

Shame about sloppy defending to concede, with DL at fault in my view, as we have played some good football and have deserved to go in level; a bit more luck and we could have been ahead.

IJ is causing them real problems and long may it continue.  

The side looks better balanced than in previous games although I am still perplexed playing a midfielder at LB; that being said he has looked assured defensively and managed to get forward.

CoB 😎

This post was modified 7 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Much better performance by Boro in that first half with Jones and Coburn impressing - sadly Boro got caught by Southampton with perhaps O'Brien's inexperience as left-back positioning himself deeper than the last central defender to play Armstrong onside.

At least Boro heads didn't drop and there were plenty of attacks but as usual lacking quality with the final ball. McGree to be honest had looked a little rusty and had mis-hit a few passes but looked assured when running on goal when he hit a well-directed shot past their keeper for the equaliser.

Hopefully, Boro can up the tempo a little in the second half and find a winner - though Howson and Hackney not quite on their game - along with few others so by no means guaranteed they can get the three points!

Posted by: @werdermouth

Much better performance by Boro in that first half with Jones and Coburn impressing - sadly Boro got caught by Southampton with perhaps O'Brien's inexperience as left-back positioning himself deeper than the last central defender to play Armstrong onside.

/quote]

CJ footnote to his half-time assessment on Josh Coburn:

Just wanted to highlight him at the break as well. I was of those ahead of the game questioning whether this was a game that perhaps suited Latte Lath. Coburn been excellent here though. Worked hard up front and used his strength so well to link up play and spray balls out wide to get Boro going ala Akpom last season. So unlucky not to have an assist with that Jones/McGree chance.

ReplyQuote

I don't  believe it!  Boro actually takes the lead in a league match (Howson penalty in the 66th minute after Coburn fowled in the box).  🙂

Greenwood on for Crooks in the 69th minute.

Jones booked in the 53rd minute, HH in the 58th.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

I don't  believe it!  Boro actually takes the lead in a league match (Howson penalty in the 66th minute after Coburn fowled in the box). 

Up to 22nd in the league, one place ahead of Rotherham on goal difference...  The prayer mat's out!  😉

ReplyQuote

Phew. The feather really was down the back of the settee

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz
Topic starter  

That was a very good performance. We didn't fluke a win. We attacked well and defended solidly. Lots of good players but Coburn was a standout and McGree again showed how much he brings to the team. To be fair, nobody played badly and it really should be a positive base on which to build. 

I'm going to bed :):):)

utb

Site Creator

Phew finally three points on the board and well deserved - Coburn was immense today leading the line and Jones ran himself into the ground. Howson stepped up the gears in the second half and even got the winner with a rare goal. This was much better from Boro with more desire on display in this game than in most of the season - perhaps telling that today's team didn't feature any of the 'projects' with only the makeshift full-backs of O'Brien and van den Berg getting significant time on the pitch.

Signs of potential for the future with the Coburn-Jones-McGree combination and maybe Boro could have managed a couple more goals with the 3 on 1 messed up again and McGree hitting the post. So some signs of hope but still a few tweaks needed and I'd be surprised if Smith isn't the regulation right-back next time. 

A rare weekend to enjoy!

Well it was squeaky bottom time at the end, as usual but, by Jove, we did it! I now need to go and have a lie down as I am overcome with shock.

Could this be the start of a unbeaten run? 

And breathe!  Deserved win in the end.  Let's hope that this is the start of a steady climb away for the bottom. 

We are clearly still not a top six side but at least today there was a glimmer of light in the tunnel. 

Some outstanding performances, Jones, McGree, Coburn and Howson.  CoB😎

ReplyQuote

Phew

And breathe

Issiah or Josh MOM for me

All round better performance

Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain   Well one person who will be overjoyed at that today, will be Plato. Well done.

An excellent team effort even though there were some performances not quite there yet. In the first half, too many loose balls and balls to our players with a defender on their back.

Their goal was for me, a lost ball by Crooks and then nobody running with Armstrong. Where were HH and Howson. 

Then an excellent strike from McGree, a cool taken penalty from JH and my oh my, a number of missed gilt edge chances to put the game beyond reach. 

Overall, I would continue with van de Berg over Smith at RB, even though he really isn’t one. (of course he could be injured now)

What to do with O’Brien when a LB becomes available. You cannot not play him.

Number 10. I was wrong about Crooks, apart from his 100% effort. I do not think Greenwould will influence the game there either, or Rogers. So a problem pick.

Werder was so right when he said the the was basically without any of the “projects”. That tells you something about Scott and the Recruitment.

However a good three points. Let’s hope we can keep up the confidence some more and pick up more points before the next International break.

That's a relief. Two games unbeaten. Probably should have won 3-1 just like the old days.

Listening then watching the highlights, it's notable that Jones set up our first goal by nicking the ball off a defender. He did that a lot under Wilder. 

Coburn gave us a focal point. Last season, Akpom was our focus and we haven't been able to replace him. Coburn did it in the more traditional centre-forward way using strength and ability to shield the ball then lay it off. It's a shame he didn't get a goal to round off his performance but if he has made the step up to Championship level then that's a massive bonus for us.

Make no bones about it, Southampton were poor. Like us, they seem to have players who are uncertain about their role and tending to shrink under pressure. Jones was basically a one-man pressing machine and Coburn was able to keep the whole of their central defence in a box. McGree did what he does best.

Here's hoping that this gives us something to build on.

As usual, comments on here have quickly got to the essence of it. 

As both Werder and Pedro have said the improvement in performance came down to the fact that only one of Scott's projects started the game.

Greenwood, coming on when everyone else had run themselves into the ground, made no impression.

None of the many pre-season signings apart from the keeper is worthy of a first team place in the Championship, but Carrick has been obliged in carrying out the policy of the club to give many of them an opportunity and it is this which has seen us rooted to the foot of the table, and deservedly so.

The side which played today looked like at least a mid-table team throughout, and we should have no further fears of relegation.

But we need to avoid a spate of injuries because we now know that we are sorely lacking in adequate replacements.

Jones was outstanding today, but Coburn and McGree were was not far behind. All three gave fully committed displays and left nothing on the pitch. No supporter could ask for anything more.

I should say that I have found it shameful that Carrick has been hung out to dry by the club since the beginning of the season. He has been the one who has faced the media every week and shouldered all of the public responsibility in having to justify a situation of which he himself has been a major victim.

Scott the architect of our problems has been conspicuous by his absence, and I'm afraid that the same can be said of Steve Gibson.

We have witnessed the third successive recruitment debacle in the last three seasons, but this time there can be no excuses since Scott went on record as saying that he now had full control of recruitment and that this was the first time that he could do the job he wanted.

That indeed was the reason why he was adamant that Carrick be given the subordinate role of Coach rather than Manager.

I have not agreed with some of Carrick's decisions this season, but I believe him to be a fine coach who has been dealt a rotten hand, and who has conducted himself with integrity and loyalty

I don't think he just happened to get lucky last season.  Rather he has been stupendously unlucky this season in finding himself as he front man for failings that now lie  beyond his area of responsibility.

Martin Bellamy

At last a good weekend of sport. First, Wigan Warriors held off Leigh Leopards last night to clinch the League Leader’s Shield and then 3 points for the Boro. 

We’ve spent the day on the beach at South Bay, Scarborough with daughter, partner and grandkids in the sunshine. One of them (the almost 9 year old) had a small metal detector which she hadn’t used before and, incredibly, found a ladies’ ring buried in the sand on her first go. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. 

@martin-bellamy 

I watched the game on the box, and for most of the game, we seemed to be defending. As we got the ball we seemed to make for the side lines where we engaged in lengthy tussles with whoever. Not once did we get  the ball and pass it forward to our striker who was invariably just outside the box with his marker at least twenty yards away, I would have fancied any striker to have maybe scored the odd goal in those circ's. Our manager has declared that it was the last time those tactic's will be seen on his watch, today he kept his word, and we beat a very Good team who will in my opinion be promoted.  

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

Ken would have enjoyed today’s result but would remind us that he never looked at League tables till after at least 10 games!!

From my point of view I’m very pleased with the result particularly after going behind yet again. And more so because the quality of performance was a big improvement on recent weeks.

Philip of Huddersfield 👍👋😂

Posted by: @deleriad

Rumours of an ... odd .. team selection.

IMG-20230923-WA0000.jpg

Close but not a Carling, as the song goes “2 out of 3 ain’t bad”, I wouldn’t put money on it 😂😂😂.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

@lenmasterman 

I cannot see how Scott can stay, if you are foolish enough to employ someone to buy players for you, not very well! Same person insists that he be the defacto Manager, as other person enjoys success at said roll. You are foolish enough to agree, cue disaster on field. He goes, period. 

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

Well, when I said it would take a battling, backs-to-the-wall performance to get us an unexpected win, I never for one moment thought that that would come true against Southampton! What’s more, Carrick found a way this time to play Howson and O’Brien in the same side, even if that wasn’t quite why we signed Lewis! And it worked! Well  done, MC, and well done to all the players. 

I wasn’t there today, unfortunately, but listened on Tees. It sounded a good game and Mark and Maddo were very positive throughout about the performances of McGree, Jones and Coburn. But I guess nobody had a bad game. Perhaps I should stay away more often? 

@clive-hurren 

Typical Boro to win and play better when  I decided not to go after the Wednesday debacle. Maybe for the sake of results we should stay away more!

Other events including holidays mean that I probably won’t be able to until the end of October by which time we will be unbeaten………

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz
Topic starter  

Diasborians

I have a theory that I would like to float.

Is it possible that Michael Carrick is one of those managers who will do brilliantly with top quality players because they will be able to cope with his style of football which relies on quite a high skill level, confidence and sophisticated interplay. He is, in many ways, the anti-Warnock who is a brilliant manager of poorer players because his demands on them are less complex and less demanding and more linked to effort and simple structures.

If I am right, this could explain why the younger players that have been brought in this season have been less successful because they haven’t yet reached the requisite levels. This doesn’t mean that won’t reach those levels but they are young and still evolving as players and are, perhaps, seen at a disadvantage in a Carrick system. It also doesn’t mean that they can’t grow into his style or that they won’t become better players with resale value as they get older.

Looking at some specifics on the new recruits,

1. Dieng is exactly what it say on the package. He is a competent shot stopper who is top class with his feet when acting as a sweeper or playing out from the back. He is a tick.

2. Van den berg is a big strong player who has been recognised at U21 level by a major country and doesn’t look out of place in the Championship. He is not a natural full back but is managing which shows a degree of football intelligence. I would have no qualms about him as a future central defender in a back three or four. I would be very surprised if he doesnt increase in value.

3. Engel has had a horror start. I don’t know why but the jury is very much still out. We have to give him three months in the squad before we know whether he is going to make the MFC grade but I don’t currently see him playing as a choice ahead of others in his position. Despite lots of positive exports and comments, he is currently a miss.

4. Bangura could be a really good buy. He was hustled into the first team at very short notice and had a solid start before his injury. I think that he could be our regular left back/left wing back and I certainly don’t see any reason to write him off. Most importantly he seems comfortable getting forward which is an important part of the Carrick plan. A tentative tick.

5. Silvera and Rogers are both speculative buys. They have skill but haven’t gelled into the Carrick structure. They are the essence of ‘projects’ and we have to hope that they will come good the more they see how MC wants them to play. It’s worth remembering that plenty on here saw promise in their early displays. I think that they are struggling with the conflict between their coaching to date and what MC wants. They are also very young and a year spent on them getting better wouldn’t necessarily be wasted money. Too early for a verdict but not a tick yet even if Silvera has become an Australian international player.

6. Latte Lath has one key attribute - speed. If our coaches are any good he could become a useful player. Maybe we overpaid and maybe he will turn into something very good. I would like to see him playing in a system with Coburn because they look like a potentially interesting combination. Possible tick but not yet.

7. I have no comment on Gilbert or the other goalkeepers. because I haven’t seen them. I will say that Zach Hemming is having a stellar season in goal scoring with St Mirren.

8. O’Brien is exactly what Carrick needed; an experienced Championship midfield player who can do whatever job is needed. A definite tick even if he is only a loan.

9. Greenwood seems like a toss of the coin acquisition. I’m not at all sure that he will come to anything.

I’m now ready to be shot down both on my Carrick theory and on my recruitment thoughts.

UTB

Pedro de Espana

@selwynoz    Good post and well reasoned. 
I have serious doubts about Greenwood (fortunately on loan), Rogers and indeed Silvera, who flatters to deceive.

Engel looks out of his depth, but we can only hope. Our main hope then has to be Bangura, O’Brien is wasted at LB.

Unfortunately, as Len mentioned, injuries could hamper any recovery. Forss,  Bangura and now van den Berg may miss a number of games? Let’s again hope that Clarke comes good. Soon!!

jarkko

@selwynoz A good summary. As you said, far too early to reflect on many of the young players just yet.

There are a lot of people criticising Scott about the signing already. Some even suggesting he must go. But last January was our best ever January window and we do not yet know how these latest signings will pann out.

I am happy so far. The only thing I would criticise is the amount of new players bought ib a single window. 12 means something was not correct before.

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

@selwynoz 

certainly food for thought there and I think you have a point re MC.

I have said it a few times that the players don’t appear to have the skill to play a fast paced passing game and when they try, passes go astray so the natural thing is then to slow things down.

We can only hope that time on the training pitch and more experience will see improvement.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@jarkko    One could argue, that, what was not correct, was having six loanees and not getting promoted. This then meant the loss of Akpom.

Mr Gibson’s stance changed somewhat and we tried to replace those players  with much less experienced replacements and a cheaper and lower quality to boot.
The reality is in certain positions we are short and at LB, who knows the thinking. Also remember we gave the normally injured Coulson a new (two year I think) contract along with Smith.

I think Len is correct. Scott and his entourage have a lot of questions to answer. As does Mr Gibson as the clubs owner. But it will all fall on deaf ears as the curtains are drawn.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6
Share: