Discussion Forum

Boro v Southampton

Boro v Southampton

152 Posts
23 Users
764 Likes

@peter-surtees 

Great post Peter well thought out and funny!

if they lose the feather does that make them down ?

OFB

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@peter-surtees Well made observations there. At this level, all players have skills way beyond Sunday morning footballers, but the confidence thing is key for many of them and I believe it made a massive difference to Akpom’s goal scoring ability last season, compared with his earlier efforts.

If you think you’re going to score, it’s more likely that you will. 

How to rekindle that confidence is the $64k question - whether or not MC has the skills to do so, will probably define our season. 

gt

Seen Southampton a couple of times ironically against Sunderland and Leicester,  although bad results, both games didn't reflect the ninety minutes, Southampton were actually in the oppositions last third more times, and had created lots of chances, they were beaten on the counter attack by two teams with speed and direct running, we don't have that, 

They will be on the front foot , and if we defend like we have it might be a long day for us,

I think we will lose ,and easily , I hope not, but I haven't seen anything that tells me , were better than them.

On a hope in hells chance, back in 73/74 season the great Charlton promotion season,Carlisle after seven games were fourth from bottom on five points, they finished runners up to us, fifty years ago this season ,can we repeat ?

ReplyQuote

@gt 

Having checked out the entire post, I can say with certainty that I agree with all of it, because whatever the actual words, every single person is of the same opinion, that we are in a state of collapse, utterly awful, check, do not know where we are going, check, do not even know the why or wherefore of our screaming nosedive, check, one thing I do know, watching the total ignoring of Young Cobourn througout the match by players who were turning in a stinker to end all stinkers, needs some explanation from the club, because one fact which has hardly been factored into our situation is, Wednesday were heading at speed for relegation, and a few simple balls to our striker could and should have ended the match, even worse, I think it was deliberate. And no, I have no idea why.     

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

I’ve got to the stage where I expect Boro to get beat but I hope they draw and in my dreams imagine a win.

Will my dreams come good tomorrow.?
Who knows, Boro may not concede first. Perhaps I’m dreaming again.

Part of me says they must win eventually but when you look at the performances so far, logic says  there is no must about it.

So, I’ll not make a forecast and just hope we see a much improved performance and if so I’ll take whatever result that deserves.

Meanwhile , the locals here have appointed Darren Moore , ex Sheffield Wednesday , coach as the new manager of Huddersfield. A good appointment as he got Wednesday promoted last season but for some reason resigned before the start of the season and has been waiting for the right appointment.

Philip of Huddersfield 

👋👍

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@martin-bellamy      Confidence. Last season although doing OK, once MC arrived, Akpom’s belief went into the stratosphere. He could do no wrong and goals were scored that really should not have been.

This season, new club, not playing in his favoured number 10 position, because the Manager has another for it. So if he gets picked it’s on the right. Not the best spot.

What level will his confidence be at at this moment?

My Dutch next door neighbour, an ardent Ajax fan from Amsterdam, has already written him off as a waste of eight million euros. (his figure)

It already looks as though we will not get much more money in “add ons” ☹️

@pedro 

We will ask for Akpom back on loan in January to lead a promotion push !

OFB

ReplyQuote

Ken Smith

ive been in touch with John Foster a friend of mine who is the match day announcer for MFC at the games 

He has agreed to announce the loss of one of our most important contributors Ken Smith tomorrow.

Please let me know what you would like him to say on our behalf 

OFB

Well, I have consulting the oracle, looked at the tea leaves (which didn’t help as I drink coffee) and come up with the team for today

Dieng - instruction from MC to play rush goalie and left back

McNair Lenihan Fry Howson

Hackney O Brien 

Jones McGree Rogers

Latte Lathe

As for the result then Boro Sinners  1 The Saints 3

Hope that I am wrong and that we will pull a victory out of the bag but I am finding it hard to be confident somehow.

UTB

It is quite interesting on the tactical front today, given that Southampton are one of the few sides that you’d expect to have more of the ball than us.

Does Carrick stick to his guns once again, or does he tweak it and try to play on the counter? Hopefully Tony Mowbray has been in touch after they dismantled the Saints 5-0 and have since gone on a march up the table.

If it’s sit and counter, we might well see Jones, ELL and possibly Silvera start for their pace. Howson could come in alongside O’Brien for extra solidity (theoretically) and Hackney pushed slightly further forward.

We’ll see how Carrick wants to play it. Same again, or a more opposition specific game plan?

Rumours of an ... odd .. team selection.

IMG-20230923-WA0000.jpg

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@plato Hang on a minute - you’ve got your wish for the young tall striker to play from the start, but now it’s the other players who are stopping him from performing? Tbh I thought he had a reasonable game, given his limitations, but didn’t spot any signs of the rest of the team ignoring him.

@original-fat-bob.

For me Ken was a highly regarded member of the Diasboro family with an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things Boro.  His contributions to the blog were enjoyable, interesting and at times thought provoking.  He is truly missed. RIP from friends across the globe. 😎

@deleriad 

I mentioned in the week that O’Brien looked the one with the best skillset to play at left back but would still be surprised.

ReplyQuote

If O’Brien is played at left back then this has to be seen as a recruitment failure give we bought two left backs (accepted one is injured) renewed a left back’s contract and recruited O’Brien as a midfielder! 😎

Site Creator

@deleriad 

That should go down well at the Riverside if Rogers gets the nod ahead of McGree - though it does make sense to have a left-footer at left-back and I'd prefer McNair at right-back. Not completely far off replacing Fry (who has looked lost with the ball) with van den Berg now that he's had a few games under his belt. As for the proposed attack - other than Jones, it looks distinctly lacking in pace but instead blessed with height. I guess we'll find out in a few hours

This post was modified 7 months ago by werdermouth

ReplyQuote

OFB

Ken was a Boro fan of 75 years standing and an online historian and statistician of all things Boro. He has produced a historical archive on the club on the Diasboro website and will be sorely missed by everyone on the Diasboro blog.

Any idea what the formation is going to be based in that selection? The random selector hit 8 names right, just not necessarily in the right order! But who knows with MC at the moment.

ReplyQuote

Looks like it IS O’Brien at left back.

Selwynoz
Topic starter  

Could even be three at the back with Jones and O'Brien as wingbacks and Howson a holding midfield player.

UTB

ReplyQuote

@andy-r. Lefties on the left and righties on the right👍🏻.

More changes don’t bode well including a lack of pace. 😎

ReplyQuote

How the Beeb perceives the line-up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66828508

This post was modified 7 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

How the Beeb perceives the line-up:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66828508

Craig Johns's verdict:

Two changes as Howson and Jones come in for Engel and Silvera.

Thankfully not that leaked team, but it does look like O'Brien is going to be at left-back. There's ability for that to be different though. Howson or Jones could be right-back. Unlikely to be Jones, as he's the only natural right-wing option, but Howson right-back, RvdB left-back with O'Brien staying in midfield is a possibility.

Still think how we lined it up in that graphic is most likely. That's a team a lot better than the one that was leaked showed. McGree and Fry deservedly keep their places. I am a little surprised that Latte Lath doesn't start, however, given Southampton's vulnerability to the press and pace. Another big opportunity for Coburn though.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@stircrazy   Well given what he has available and what I said previously  about keeping our heads up, then I guess MC has gone for experience and hopefully an upturn in performances from those players.

We will also have to hope that Jones has a stormer and that Plato is justified with his support of the boy up front. 🤞🤞

Thanks to OFB for his efforts for Ken this afternoon and the suggested words from KP and Len. 

ReplyQuote

Just watched the Boro training on the pitch
Back 4 as a unit on their own
O’Brien lb
Lenihan
Fry
V de berg rback

OFB

ReplyQuote

Did anyone on Diasboro hear John Foster give the message on PA About Ken?

OFB

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob. I suspect that O’Brien will have licence to get forward whilst RVB will play more of the Smith type defensive role. 😎

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob.  Only tuned in 10 mins before kick off when it was all radio Tees commentary; I hope the tribute did go ahead. 😎

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Annoying that the game has been made unavailable on Boro Live due to being selected for international broadcast - it's a bit deluded to think that people in Germany wanting to watch Boro would take out a €240 subscription to a package in order to watch half a dozen Boro games a season. Absolutely nobody is going to do that unless they have  more money than they know what to do with

Anyway, here's an unofficial link if anyone needs one

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Boro a goal down after 17 minutes - Craig Johns:

Boro behind again. Fry ball out of defence and Crooks loses it far too easily. Southampton break and Adams feeds it in to Armstrong who runs off O'Brien and applies an easy finish.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6
Share: