Discussion Forum

Boro v QPR

Boro v QPR

195 Posts
24 Users
846 Likes
Clive Hurren

@forever-dormo 

Your point about other teams scoring first is very apt, Dormo. By my reckoning, we haven’t scored first in any of our 9 most recent league games. We did score first at Luton, but we still lost (Never a penalty!) We even went behind in our two Carabao Cup games this season! Clearly, we are making it hard for ourselves to win games if we keep giving the first goal away. This is an unfortunate trend that Carrick needs to reverse quickly. 

Pedro de Espana

@gt   That’s about half the team then gt. And you think we had problems last Saturday. 🤔

ReplyQuote
jarkko

We have many international players noit now. Six at senior level and four at youth level.

But those numbers does not include Forss who draw out after injuring his hamstring at Bolton.

Hackney has joined the England U-21 team. 

So some positive. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
jarkko

We have many international players out now. Sorry for typo mistake above. UTB,

ReplyQuote

@selwynoz 

The problem with us is pretty obvious. With our secret Manager and his mates busy causing havoc in the buying and selling of players, and no doubt thinking he is the boss, there cannot be harmony in the group. He seems to have no idea about dealing in players. To have a striker, of all things, come Good early last season, and not have him in the office and tell him his salary is trebled as of now, and his contract extended as of now, was in my opinion a sackable offence. To have a Young player enjoy the big game, unafraid to score, no matter the opposition, and to loan him out, try to loan him out again, only the abuse from the fans stopped that Good idea, and still will not play him in the role he was made for. As they seem to be in the dark with regard to this player, can we all decide right now that whenever we are in our own half, and he is on the half way line, pass the ball to him. He will create havoc, particularly with the ball in the air.     

ReplyQuote

@jarkko - A Smoggy...?

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@plato I’ll give you this, you certainly know how to concentrate the mind. If only I knew the player to which you’re alluding. It’s not as if you’ve mentioned him before. 😉

ReplyQuote
 gt

@pedro my thinking is ,they haven't been training with the team ,I'm hoping this two weeks Carrick as them playing as a unit, trying different formations, if your not there  how does it help

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Posted by: @forever-dormo

@jarkko - A Smoggy...?

Yes, of course. But can we use the word Middlesbrough as a starting point?

Is it the same with Geordies and Mackems, too? Something similar to Liverpudlian.

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
jarkko

EMMANUEL LATTE LATH has managed more shots on target per game than any other Championship player. Accoding to BoroStats.

He will come good. Remember.he signed just afew weeks ago. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @jarkko

@jarkko - A Smoggy...?

Yes, of course. But can we use the word Middlesbrough as a starting point?

Is it the same with Geordies and Mackems, too? Something similar to Liverpudlian.

Up the Boro!

I was always told when a kid that we were Middlesbroughians [pronounced like the word enough... so Middlesbruffians]. 

No idea if that was just my old man's idea of a pun or if other people also used it...

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@powmillnaemore Great.

Could others confirm this is correct? Up yhe Boro!

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

People from Guisborough are known as Guisborians, so maybe those from the Boro should be Middlesborians. 

ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy - That's the more likely one...  And on here we are Diasborians are we not, OFB?

This post was modified 8 months ago by Forever Dormo

ReplyQuote

On the Untypical Boro Blog, Vic would threaten a red card if I mentioned that the World Cup begins this evening with France opening the tournament with their group game against New Zealand.  Live on ITV (and S4C for those who want to follow Wales matches in the Hen Iaith - " the "old language").  You wouldn't bet your house on any particular country - Ireland are World No 1, France a rapidly improving side which handed out a record beating to England in the last Six Nations (and, crucially play this World Cup AT HOME); you can never rule out the All Blacks and South Africa are dangerous, and there's always Australia and even Scotland & Argentina will want to go far.  I am ruling out England (who might struggle against the Pumas) and Wales ("building for the next tournament") but which team will be the surprise package?  Georgia, Japan?  We will find out soon., starting this evening...

Out of an abundance of caution, as I don't like red cards, I will keep quiet about it. (Shhh!).

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

...but which team will be the surprise package?  Georgia, Japan? 

Whispers "Fiji" 

But we are shouting for Scotland in our house...

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@forever-dormo Too many players for me, I’m afraid. Rugby League is my code of choice, particularly as Wigan are currently top of the league. 
As a matter of interest, do you prefer the kickers or trundlers of ra-ra?

ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy 

Borovians?

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@boroexile I love the blog, me. Always learning more and improving my English.

T-T-Tessider! Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy - "Kickers or trundlers of ra-ra...?".  I am guessing you ask whether I prefer Rugby Union or Rugby League.  In which case I have to say it's Union for me, every time.  I don't dislike League, and I used to watch it (on TV rather than live) and some aspects of League have improved Union in recent decades - in ball-handling and tackling/defensive work particularly, for example - but my parents are Welsh and I might be putting on a red rugby jersey on Sunday.  Short sleeved or long sleeved one, depends on the weather ....

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@forever-dormo Bore dar. I really struggle with RU, possibly because I’ve no idea of the rules. We didn’t play rugby at Guisborough Grammar, so it’s all a bit if a mystery to me. 
Having worked in Wigan for 25 years and with a corporate box at Central Park, I had to learn about RL pretty quickly. From my limited knowledge it always seems like a faster game with higher ball handling skills and fewer simple massive kicks of the ball in the direction of your opponent’s try line, but each to their own, I say. 

ReplyQuote

Interesting piece about Charlie Wyke in today's Times, complete with an honourable mention for Boro:

https://archive.ph/vAej1

ReplyQuote

@andy-r 

The main cause of Brighton's climb up the ratings is generally put down to a ruthless recruitment system, a system which is paramount and Brooks no inteferance from anybody, Managers included. How we can stomach the interferance from a bunch of suits, when it comes down to performance on the field is a mystery. The ruthless loan out to anybody who would take him, of our Young striker, was actually quite amazing, the more he entertained the locals the more our suites determined to extend his loan. So much for us! And still they blunder on. Now they have announced that they will actually play him. Will that be as a striker? Or as a dummy in some wild scheme they have have put together which will change the face of football forever. I do not blame Carrick, this is straight from the songbook of the old, battered, and bewildered players still haunting the club. One of them is actually coaching our players, gulp!    

ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy - As others on here could tell you (Ken Smith included), at Coatham School (SWT) it was Rugby Union all the way.  Not until I got to 6th Form, which was in the last handful of years before the school closed as a secondary school, was "soccer" introduced and then only for one term each year because invariably the better soccer players were the better rugby players, too, and to play BOTH at the same time would have damaged the sports team results. Prior to that it was basically rugby from September to Easter (with hockey an option in 6th form) and cricket, athletics and tennis in the exam term.  Occasionally we did play a LITTLE bit of Rugby League (one sports double lesson I remember scoring 3 tries in one League game but that was a rare event) but only as a diversion so as not to distract from the serious business of Rugby Union.  The better athletes played as Junior Colts,  Senior Colts and Big Side teams.

Funnily enough, since I enjoy watching Rugby Union, I didn't much enjoy playing it at school when it was "forced" upon us (until I could play hockey in 6th form).  When I went away to College, where I could play the sports I preferred, I took up rugby again and enjoyed it at College level. Basically I played rugby, hockey and cricket at College and one of my colleagues there actually played for England's Rugby team when he was still at College with me (at school he played for Whitgift and then for Harlequins. I think he was selected to play on a tour of Argentina but didn't do very well!).

This post was modified 8 months ago by Forever Dormo

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

I hope Chelsea weren't watching ..........

England men’s under-17s had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Morocco in their second game of the Pinatar Arena Supercup.

England took the lead midway through the first half following some good work by Middlesbrough’s Finlay Cartwright. The midfielder gathered the ball on the edge of the box and performed a neat stepover before reaching the byline and pulling the ball back for Elliot Myles, leaving the Norwich City youngster with an easy finish.

Cartwright then went close himself soon after as he had a left-footed volley pushed away by Morocco goalkeeper Akabou Ayoube low down to his right.

UTB

Liked by 4 people: Forever Dormo, Clive Hurren, jarkko and lenmasterman

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@selwynoz I hope Finlay and the rest of the team are OK in Morocco. And I feel sorry for the people involved in Morocco after the horrible earth quake tragedy there. Up the Borp!

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@forever-dormo It was football in the winter at GGS, then cricket and athletics in the summer. I was in the football and cricket teams throughout my time there, although I was much better at cricket. 
New pre fab classrooms were built on part of the playing fields which didn’t do a lot for the school’s sporting prowess. 

Several years after school, I took up football and cricket again, although the prospect of playing football on Sunday mornings on council pitches, whilst the wind whistled in off the North Sea never filled me with joy. Cricket in the summer was joyful though - some of the best days of my life.

This post was modified 8 months ago by Martin Bellamy

Liked by 4 people: Forever Dormo, Clive Hurren, jarkko and Selwynoz

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

@jarkko 

the England u17 team is taking part in a in a tournament in Spain. Morocco is just one of the teams

utb

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@selwynoz Ok, thanks for clarifying. My bad, I dis not check where the match was played. UTB!

Liked by Selwynoz
ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

@dormo and martin

I met someone once whose aunty’s third cousin’s husband knew a bloke’s son who actually understood the rules of rugby union. 

That said, I played rugby at Acklam Hall, as it was forced on us. I didn’t enjoy it. I once captained my house team in a match against another house, which happened to have all the best sportsmen. We lost 106-0. Not my best moment of glory. The ref offered us the chance to halt the debacle at 88-0. I said no, we would carry on till the bitter end. Great leadership! My teammates weren’t happy, though! In assembly the next day, the house mistress read out the result and praised our team for carrying on to the final whistle. Yes! Redemption with my teammates. It’s funny, though, I’ve disliked the game ever since. I think I must still be mentally scarred. 

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share: