Discussion Forum

Boro v QPR

Boro v QPR

195 Posts
24 Users
846 Likes

@pedro 

I think Hackney, McGree and Engel can be creative for us.

But we've got to them all on the pitch and as far forward as possible. That Engel and Hackney have been playing deeper roles and McGree hasn't been on the pitch enough feels like a handbrake.

I think we should play as follows, once everyone is fit:

-----------Dieng-----------

Dijksteel Fry Lenihan Engel (possibly the new left back)

----------O'Brien-----------

Crooks/Greenwood Hackney

Jones(?) ELL McGree

McGree should come inside to the no. 10 position, allowing Engel to push high to make use of his crossing ala Giles and leaving a back three with O'Brien screening in front.

I prefer Dijksteel at right back for three reasons:

1. Recovery pace

2. Very comfortable on the right of a back three when Engel is pushed up

3. Rekindles the creative connection between him, Jones and Crooks we saw under Wilder

Crooks has gone backwards under Carrick but I feel that's because he's been played as a striker or no. 10. He is best breaking forward from midfield as he did under Wilder and this setup gives him that role, getting into the box late and adding goal threat.

Jones could be any one of the options (Forss, Silvera, Rogers) but he has a good understanding with Dijksteel and Crooks and brings the most pace, which this team is otherwise lacking.

Coburn could overtake ELL as the no. 9 but Lathe's movement gets the nod for now.

Whilst Dijksteel is out, McNair might be the best option ahead of Smith as he's more suited to a right centre-back role.

This post was modified 8 months ago 3 times by Andy R

Only Gabriel Sara (5, Norwich) has created more big chances in the Champion ship this season than MORGAN ROGERS (4).

OFB

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Clive Hurren, jarkko and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

MFC website shows pictures of new boys, Bangura, O’Brien and Greenwood training together with Matt Clarke so MC may have some defensive options/permutations to consider. 😎

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Clive Hurren, jarkko and Original Fat Bob

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@andy-r   No problems with that line up Andy, based on what we have within the squad.

However, we have to hope and keep our fingers crossed, that Engel (or Bangura) can produce even half of what Giles did, allied to better defending. To date we have not even seen a glimpse of that capability, irrespective of MC saying he has been playing a slightly different role at this time.

Dijksteel, certainly has the ability, IMO, but sadly not the consistency of not being injured. Also I am not sure MC favours him ahead of Smith or McNair possibly. A big weakness in that position at this moment in time.

Jones, the enigma that he is. If we could only get him to replicate that form when he first burst onto the scene. Unfortunately that involved Dijksteel and Crooks at the time, something unlikely to happen now!

What does surprise me, is that MFC have not produced any defenders from the Academy. We got HH, only due to Leo initially, surely there must be a right back that is capable of being introduced into the match day squad and given game time. If not, along with LB’s and CB’s, the Academy is surely failing somewhat.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain   Let’s hope Clarke can get fit. It would be like a new signing after a year out. And if he could, like Jones, replicate his previous clubs consistent form, the defence overall, would improve.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@original-fat-bob       Not sure what that means OFB, other than possible assists if he has passed to a colleague who should of scored?

ReplyQuote

@pedro. Agreed.  I would play him in place of Fry but switch Lenihan to RCB given Lenihan is right footed. 😎

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Looks like we have options in this new team as per the debate above. The problem is finding out the right compo of players next.

But it will come. We have a good squad - different to last season. And as Carrick said, now he is able to change the formation, for example. He did not feel able to do that last season and we run out of steam in the end. And were not able to change according to the opposition like Coventry.

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 8 months ago by jarkko

ReplyQuote

I am sorry I havent posted yet but I was sulking waiting for the first win or at least something to write home about . . . . . 

Anyhow found this which made me larf - youre jokin arn ya? [I truly hope so]

Can anyone help - is this for real or a Boro own goal?

Season Card Holder Offer At Specsavers Middlesbrough - Middlesbrough FC (mfc.co.uk)

ReplyQuote

@allan-in-bahrain.  Good to hear from you Allan.  

It’s on the official club website and looks a genuine offer so I can’t (forgive the pun) see a problem.  

Not sure why you think they are having a laugh. 😎

ReplyQuote

. . . thanks KP. It completely blind sided me that one.

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

I hope this doesn’t prove to be a short-sighted move from the club. 

ReplyQuote

. . . or a case of tunnel vision

ReplyQuote

Do you think we could be seeing this through red tinted spectacles………😎

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

The return of Clarke could be quite significant as it gives us a genuine left sided central defender in a four or a strong left sided defender in a back three. It may well be that playing a back three will free up MC to play with attacking wingbacks and go back to the 3-5-2 from last year which delivered so much success or any of the many other combinations using seven midfield and forward players. 

How about a 3-4-1-2 that could rotate the front three players between Greenwood, McGree, Rogers, Coburn, ELL and Silvera. Then you have Jones/Smith/Dijksteel and Engel/Bangura as wingbacks and a rotating central two between Hackney, O'Brien, Howson and Barlaser. 

That looks quite potent and can easily morph into a back 5 if we are under pressure

Like a number of others, I believe that we have the players to turn the situation round.

UTB

I saw an interesting thing. During pre-season, Carrick talked about how we were looking at Brighton's tactics. Looks like we spent the pre-season trying to copy them with disastrous results.

Apparently Brighton attack with a 4-2-4 formation. Good article about it here.

What caught my eye is this:

The Seagulls use deep fullbacks and a narrow double pivot, which is in close connection to the two centre backs.

If you look at how we're setting up, that's exactly what we're doing. It's partly doing the job because we're creating plenty of chances when attacking. 

Patently though what we don't know how to do the defensive side of it. That said, if you look at Brighton's results, they win plenty but keep very few clean sheets. They can also get absolutely hammered when it goes wrong.

This is an extreme risk/reward plan that needs players who can play out of the most intense press with confidence. 

You need defensive full-backs and wingers that stay wide. Makes buying Engel and Bangura strange. Makes buying right-footed left-wingers who like to drift in equally strange.

Alarmingly, this reminds me of Woodgate setting out to copy a 4-3-3 press system only to discover that he didn't have the players for it. 

@deleriad 

I don’t agree with some of that Brighton analysis. The glaring error is the idea that Brighton keep their fullbacks back, when anyone who has watched Pervis Estupinian can tell you he’s one of the most attacking and advanced left backs in the league.

Other than that, the key differences between us (ignoring quality given we’re in different divisions) is pace, which Brighton have all over the field, and particularly tempo. They attack with ferocious pace.

I would argue that they’re the best team to watch in the country over the last eight months.

@andy-r - I agree that watching Brighton is a delight. In fact I prefer to watch them over all other PL clubs, including Man City.

The main reason why Boro would be on dangerous ground trying to copy Brighton's brand of football is that Brighton have better players than Boro all over the field (and probably from 1-25 in their squad, too). You may be able to coach players to play in a particular style, but it must be a lot easier and must give rise to better results, to coach really TOP level players in that particular style than Championship players.

@allan-in-bahrain 

Is that because the Boro players are making a spectacle of themselves ?

I think the most important members of the squad are the two we have for lenses !

OFB

ReplyQuote

@jarkko 

I don’t know about running out of steam but there was a lot of huffing and puffing by the Boro team on Saturday !

I think promotion this season has come off the rails and we’ve hit the buffers!

Hopefully MC hasn’t got tunnel vision and his points can be develoed.

But we must guard against raising our hopes or lose our train of thought.

Cheers

OFB

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@original-fat-bob I meant we played with more or less same eleven towards the end of last season. And perhaps some momentum and legs were lost as the form nose dived in the end.

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Elsewhere, Darlington havs sacked their manager.

The Board of DFC regrets to announce that manager Alun Armstrong and assistant manager Darren Holloway have been given notice of termination of their employment contracts, and relieved of their duties.

David Johnston, Chair and CEO, said “Having looked at results since the start of 2023, when we were top of National League North and in particular the very poor start to the current season, we were unanimous as a board that a change needed to be made. It is a decision that has not come easily. We are sure that all fans will join us in thanking Alun and Darren for their time at Darlington FC and wish them well for the future.”

Darlo are bottom of thir league now. Is this the first sacking of this season? UTB!

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Posted by: @forever-dormo

@andy-r - I agree that watching Brighton is a delight. In fact I prefer to watch them over all other PL clubs, including Man City.

The main reason why Boro would be on dangerous ground trying to copy Brighton's brand of football is that Brighton have better players than Boro all over the field (and probably from 1-25 in their squad, too). You may be able to coach players to play in a particular style, but it must be a lot easier and must give rise to better results, to coach really TOP level players in that particular style than Championship players.

I think Boro were the best team to watch last season. UTB!

ReplyQuote

After the Keano fiasco at the weekend I saw this photo and liked it !

Liked by 5 people: werdermouth, lenmasterman, jarkko, K P in Spain and Andy R

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob -  No pun knowingly left unused!

ReplyQuote

@jarkko -  Boro 0-5 Brighton in the FACup says otherwise! 

But yes, generally and for most of last season (first month or two and the last handful of games excepted) , it was good entertainment watching Boro in 2022-23.  The joy of joys to realise that if the team went a goal down, it was likely Boro would go up the other end and score 2 or 3 goals to get the result we needed. It hadn't been like that at Boro for ages.  If we went a goal down, traditionally that meant we would lose, giving a real edge to the motto that Boro scoring the first goal was vital.

ReplyQuote

@forever-dormo 

I’m puntastic when I put my mind to it !

OFB

Liked by Clive Hurren
ReplyQuote
jarkko

Re: League Cup match at Bradford

I read about the £5 ticket offer for the 3rd round clash at Bradford. And realised the locals are called Bradfordians. I know people on Teesside are called Teessiders but how do you call a person from Middlesbrough? Just asking, like. 

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Posted by: @jarkko

Re: League Cup match at Bradford

I read about the £5 ticket offer for the 3rd round clash at Bradford. And realised the locals are called Bradfordians. I know people on Teesside are called Teessiders but how do you call a person from Middlesbrough? Just asking, like. 

Up the Boro!

Red Wallers? 

ReplyQuote
 gt

I hope they have arranged close door friendlies to acclimate everyone to whatever formation he's going to use, drills are OK but they need to get the chemistry right ,intfact I'm bound to say, I wouldn't start any of the players out on duty ,when they return , 

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7
Share: