Boro v Huddersfield

Boro v Huddersfield

224 Posts
23 Users
1205 Likes

Working now after c.22 mins😎

ReplyQuote
jarkko

So we missed some 20 min from the start. But been enjoying the match since! Nice to see the two new players in Latte Lath and Engel.

Up the Boro! 

ReplyQuote

0-0 at half-time.  It sounds from the Beeb's live text commentary as though the new boys are putting themselves about a bit!

Two yellow cards so far for the Terriers, none for Boro.  Hope it stays that way.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Rogers looks good playing as a proper number 10

ReplyQuote

TL's assessment of the first half:

A really good half for Boro after somewhat of a frantic start. Latte Lath has been outstanding for Michael Carrick's side and you get the feeling he'll play some part in any goal the Teessiders get this afternoon. The only thing missing from that first-half performance was a goal. Hackney and Forss with good chances.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Well finally got on to the Live Stream after nearly 25 minutes only to hear what a entertaining game it's been so far 🙄 

At least what I saw appeared to be much improved from Boro's previous games - Thought Rogers looked a decent Akpom replacement and Latte Lath also looked sharp with good pace as an Archer replacement.

Good to see Howson back with Hackney in midfield - though didn't see anything from Silvera to suggest he's a First XI player yet. Engel looked solid enough at LB but again haven't seen much from van der Berg yet to comment.

Boro should surely score at some point as a few Huddersfield players are now in the book and have to be careful.

ReplyQuote

Quick catch up for me whilst sitting in a hotel in an overcast but humid Monchengladbach before a concert with a German group my wife likes and has never seen!

Sounds like we are playing well and here’s hoping our possession turns into goals soon.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Well not the start to the 2nd half required - o.g. Fry - shakes head...

ReplyQuote

Spoke too soon - wrong end!

ReplyQuote

HH equalises in the 61st minute, assisted by Sammy Silvera.  🙂

ReplyQuote

That’s better. Hayden Hackney.  Get in.  CoB 😎

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

HH equalises in the 61st minute, assisted by Sammy Silvera.  🙂

From TL:

Hayden Hackney take a bow! Nicholls produces a big save to deny Rogers. The hosts recover it on the right with Silvera, he rolls it to Hackney who cuts inside and finds the top corner.

And a couple of minutes later:

Boro have sparked into life. Hackney plays a brilliant ball in behind to find Latte Lath, his pace sees him get the better of Michal Helik, but the Town defender recovers to stop a certain goal.

Good to see that magic word "pace".  🙂

ReplyQuote

Crooks & McGree on for Forss & Rogers in the 69th minute.

ReplyQuote

Jones on for ELL in the 87th minute.  Third yellow card for Huddersfield.  Six minutes of injury time.

ReplyQuote

Just to add to Plato's Jones grudge list - from TL:

How has he missed? Jones beats his man and picks out Silvera on the penalty spot but he blaizes [sic] his effort over the bar. He has to get that on target.

Full-time verdict:

It ends all square. Boro really good in the first-half but the Town opener sucked the life out of them somewhat. Hayden Hackney and Latte Lath really bright.

And Jonny H opened his yellow card account a minute from time.  🙁

At least they're off the bottom...

This post was modified 9 months ago by Stircrazy

Site Creator

Great strike from Hackney for the equaliser but Boro should probably have got three points from this game given the opportunities and the dominance of the first half. some promising performances from the newcomers with Latte Lath, Rogers and Engel - though van den Berg looks too big to be a right-back and Silvera looks far from the finished article at this stage and would prefer to see McGree start ahead of him.

Good news is Boro are off the bottom but only by one place - a win would have taken us 3 points off the play-offs but now Carrick must engineer a win from our next tricky trip to the Baggies to avoid further drift.

As yet the team is not good enough or as clinical as it was last season - ok, it's early days but I think more quality needed through the door in the next two weeks. At least the return of Howson and his partnership with Hackney is a bonus but Boro can't afford to see their winless run continue - especially against teams who won't be troubling the top half of the table.

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

Surprised by team selection - no McGree.

A draw about fair but If you miss chances then you don’t win matches.

Noticed that Connolly came on as sub for Hull and scored 2 goals  -that’s 3goals in 3 matches. Perhaps he’s seen the light and is now starting to show his potential.

Meanwhile it’s going to be some time before Boro start moving up the table. 1 point from 3 games is very disappointing. A first win would be acceptable!!
Philip from Warnock land.👎

Silvera - bad miss or good save discuss

At least we didn't get beat

ReplyQuote

Boro ratings from Gazette.

Seny Dieng - 5

Pulled off a good save at the near post to deny Matty Pearson. Comfortable with the ball at his feet but a lapse in concentration gifted the ball to Danny Ward with Town unable to capitalise. Not his best display on the whole.

Rav van den Berg - 6

Deployed at right-back and did well to cope with the pace of Josh Koroma for the majority of the afternoon.

Dael Fry - 6

Scorer of the opening goal for Town. Caught unawares with the ball hitting him at the front post and beating Dieng.

Darragh Lenihan - 6

Produced a number of big blocks to deny Town efforts on goal.

READ MORE: Middlesbrough vs Huddersfield Town highlights and reaction

Lukas Engel - 6

Made his debut at left-back and kept the lively Sorba Thomas at bay. Some darting runs forward but pretty solid defensively too.

Jonny Howson - 6

Back in the heart of midfield for his first start since his injury and conducted things for Boro. His experience and ingenuity allowed Hackney to join the attack with runs from deep.

Hayden Hackney - 7

Willing runs forward all afternoon and was rewarded in the second-half. Produced a moment of quality when Boro needed it most, cutting inside and finding the top corner.

Marcus Forss - 6

Really bright down Boro's right and can feel aggrieved to have not been awarded a first-half penalty. Worked tirelessly but lacked the end product.

Sammy Silvera - 5

Tried to be a bit too cute and wasteful at times in possession. Needs a little bit more composure in the final third. Did set up Hackney for the goal but a simple ball inside. Missed two sitters at the end.

Morgan Rogers - 6

In a more natural position behind the striker and looked much brighter operating in the pockets of space. Could and probably should have scored.

Emmanuel Latte Lath - 7

A brilliant debut for the new arrival who showed great endeavour all afternoon. Hassled and harried the Terriers backline and gave Carrick's side a real presence. His pace will cause teams plenty of problems in the Championship.

Substitutes

Matt Crooks (Forss 69) - 6

Steady if nothing spectacular in his half an hour cameo.

Riley McGree (Rogers 69')

Not as bright as he was coming off the bench at Coventry City

Isaiah Jones

ReplyQuote

There was a communications blackout on Teesside this afternoon and most of the main internet providers couldn’t stream.

Even inside the Riverside phone signals were poor and no streaming of any kind

It wasn’t MFC failing 

OFB

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

Boro team news

Starting XI: Dieng; Van Den Berg, Fry, Lenihan, Engel; Hackney, Howson, Silvera, Forss, Rogers; Latte Lath

Subs: Glover, Barlaser, McGree, Jones, Gilbert, Coburn, Payero, Coulson, Crooks.

No McNair? 😎

Reason for Paddy's absence buried in the very last paragraph.

I should perhaps take this opportunity to highlight the fact that the glaring miss mentioned by TL (my post at 16.59) was in fact in the part of Silvera after Jones put him through.

ReplyQuote

I didn't get to follow the match live so don't really have much to add. It is clear that Howson makes Hackney a much better player. Hackney has been struggling a bit alongside Barlaser but seems to have been back to his normal standards yesterday.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that we are best suited for a midfield three with Howson sitting then Hackney and another given licence to attack. I think if we do this, Hackney will end the season with 10+ combined goals and assists and will then be sold for £25m to a Premier league club. (So, not ideal for us.)

Some rumours that McGree is discontented because we've been refusing a move and now some rumours that we're interested in Pritchard from Sunderland. It would be a shame to lose McGree but if it's for more than £5m then that would be fine, I guess. He has certainly been making a lot of noise about ambition and playing at the highest level. 

ReplyQuote
jarkko

It was a good game to watch. Much like last season and we created some glorious chances, too. 

But we missed the goals, though. When or if they would be there, we are not that far from last season. The two signings of last week are very good. So there is hope.

BTW, we have yet to sign any loan players, which is excellent. We have less rebuilding to do in the coming transfer windows.

The only worry is that we have nine new players to bed in. Like deleriad said earlier this week, it will take us months to bed the new players in. We see the form now. But I am sure we are OK in September and October.

So patience needed. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@stircrazy according to the Echo, Carrick confirmed that Paddy McNair was missing for Boro after suffering a cut to the head against Coventry City last week. UTB!

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob Sounds just like West Norfolk.

UTB,

John

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@deleriad 

Wouldn't like to lose another key player from last season in McGree and while £5m may be reasonable it's not easy to get a replacement with around 10 days to go before the window closes and then get them integrated into the team.

I think Boro look short of quality up front - though plenty of energy but someone calm in front of goal would be top of my wish list. 

Archer appears to be no longer an option after Villa have upped their asking price to around £20m according to some reports - although might mean we could get him on loan again if there were no takers!

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth.  I agree with your comment that we lack quality upfront.

It went through my mind that we have replaced Fletcher and Assombalonga with permanent signings who are made from the same mould.  That is, they will miss far more chances than they score.

Despite good periods throughout the game yesterday, we so far look well short of automatic promotion and will do well to make top six; I think it’s a season of consolidation and hopefully progression. 😎

ReplyQuote

@deleriad.  I hope it is just rumour as I feel that he is badly needed in the side for his creativity; to my view we look a better side when he plays.

Pritchard, not for me he flatters to deceive. 😎

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

We’ve all probably seen on Utube the excellent goals by our new striker. - left foot , right foot and headers.

I just hope we’re not going to witness him missing easy chances. - left foot , right foot and headers !!
Yesterday’s one on one with the goalkeeper should have been buried.

McGree not starting is a concern and only adds to the rumours that all is not well.

Philip of Huddersfield 

ReplyQuote

Watching the final episode of the Sky documentary “Mission To Burnley” charting their promotion last season.

Naturally the game at The Riverside where they sealed that promotion features but what interested me was Vincent Kompany’s talk to the players in the lead up.

He said that Boro were very good on the ball but that without the ball they are “a completely different team” and “don’t have the capacity to press” like other teams in the division.

Page 4 / 8
Share: