Discussion Forum

Boro Transfers In a...

Boro Transfers In and Out For Season 23/24

909 Posts
25 Users
3811 Likes
12.1 K Views
Powmill-Naemore

@k-p-in-spain I think I  would prefer we get Apkom and Archer on the field together again....

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Posted by: @powmillnaemore

This is my last contribution to the debate about what Gary Lineker tweeted. Actually, it is not really my contribution,  but a link to a long thread on Twitter posted by German-British historian Professor Tanja Bueltmann. I recommend reading the full thread.

https://twitter.com/TanjaBueltmann/status/1633445311103262721?t=q7EOIlKBvo7ai3aOhzS72Q&s=01

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this debate. I couldn’t agree more about the importance of digging beneath the surface of press headlines in search of facts.
I don’t want to rake up the B word again, but I respected Alisdair Campbell on the QT special on BBC this week, when he said he understood people who’d voted to leave the EU and didn’t blame them for voting that way. What he did point out was that those people were lied to and many may have voted without knowing all the facts. I’m not for a minute criticising anyone who voted to leave, merely pointing out that the debate 7 years ago was very poorly undertaken by both sides and became a binary issue with very little nuance. 

Anyway, back to our favourite team - I see that Cameron Archer managed an assist for the England U21s during the week. What are the chances he’ll be with us when the season starts? 

ReplyQuote

Top post from Werder with excellent follow-up comments. It's heartening to see that even in the silly season this blog still produces such first-class material

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

Looking back at original post by me about GL. It does look like I took a hammering from fellow Diasborians. I stand by what I said. At one point today, I was going to leave Diasboro for good but being a Scottish and a Boro supporter. I will continue to support the blog for now.

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Posted by: @malcolm

Looking back at original post by me about GL. It does look like I took a hammering from fellow Diasborians. I stand by what I said. At one point today, I was going to leave Diasboro for good but being a Scottish and a Boro supporter. I will continue to support the blog for now.

Don’t leave Malcolm. Everyone’s views are welcome on here, but surely there’s got to be room for respectful disagreement and comment. If you don’t concur with what’s been written, this is an ideal opportunity for you to put your counter view. We’re all friends here. 

Ken Smith
Mr

Today was a landmark in my recovery as I was able to get myself unaided out of bed for the first time in over 3 months. Of course I still relied on my carer to wipe my bottom as I have not only no control over my right hand being unable to pick up a pen or a spoon to stir my coffee, but am now also completely deaf in both ears by trying to insert too much olive oil to break down the wax in both ears. 

Clive Hurren rang me last night as we discussed England’s defeat in the first test although I could hardly hear what he was talking about, suffice to say that football was hardly mentioned, as this is officially the cricket season, a sport in which in my opinion is the greatest sport ever invented.

I have now recovered my appetite, though from a time perspective I am now going to bed at 8.30/9.00 pm with the help of my carers instead of after 1am the following day. I realise that I may never recover my hearing which means a life of silence from herein. If it wasn’t for subtitles I wouldn’t be able to watch television again, although cricket doesn’t require subtitles.

I’m also trying to revise my will which is now outdated so television has taken a back seat. The trouble is that all my contemporaries have since died, whilst I’m still here rambling on about nothing in particular, having now passed any usefulness which I might have contributed in the past.

Don’t cry for me as I’ve now visited at least 64 countries and had a ball in doing so. Lucky in love, but not so lucky in the unfortunate circumstances I now find myself in. One comes into this world incontinent, and in my case will leave it with the same condition. I’m not afraid of dying but like most folk hate the pain.Whether there is life after death that I may be reunited with my dear wife Enid is open to conjecture depending perhaps on one’s religion, though nobody has told us what life in heaven or paradise is like. 

So goodbye to my friends on Diasboro, as this is maybe my final curtain!

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

Ken,

from what you say it sounds as though your deafness is simply due to putting too much oil into your ears- something I’ve done more than once. Perhaps getting your ears syringed could be the simple solution 

👍👋

Philip of Huddersfield 

@ken

I'm with Philip on that one, ask your carers to help, I've a sneaking feeling that problem can be cured. Can I also say that I loved your very positive phrase 'Today was a landmark in my recovery...' Just keep it up and don't give up, everyone at DiasBoro wishes you well and comfortable.

Enjoy your cricket through the 'Tumbleweed' season for football and try to remain positive.

Best wishes,

UTB,

John

gt

I think Boro are being patient on signings , because I believe they have high hopes on some of the young players,who might be given a chance, FFP is is now a concern,so if they can save money they will, unless we sell a couple, loans will come in but not until just before season starts

ReplyQuote

@Ken, sorry to hear about your problems just now but marvellous to see you still posting. What an ambassador you have been to Dias Boro. I hope  you continue as much as you can. We are all with you ❤️

@martin-bellamy thanks

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

@malcolm not at all personal, just expressing thoughts and counter arguments. I always want to hear what other people have to say otherwise I may never learn or get the chance to cha ge what I think in the sa.e way whatever I say might be interesting or help people learn other things...

Whatever  any of us say we are all friends first and foremost.

England women fight back in the first ashes test, finishing on 463 only 10 behind Australia, Beaumont scores a magnificent 208.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @martin-bellamy

Posted by: @powmillnaemore

This is my last contribution to the debate about what Gary Lineker tweeted. Actually, it is not really my contribution,  but a link to a long thread on Twitter posted by German-British historian Professor Tanja Bueltmann. I recommend reading the full thread.

https://twitter.com/TanjaBueltmann/status/1633445311103262721?t=q7EOIlKBvo7ai3aOhzS72Q&s=01

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this debate. I couldn’t agree more about the importance of digging beneath the surface of press headlines in search of facts.
I don’t want to rake up the B word again, but I respected Alisdair Campbell on the QT special on BBC this week, when he said he understood people who’d voted to leave the EU and didn’t blame them for voting that way. What he did point out was that those people were lied to and many may have voted without knowing all the facts. I’m not for a minute criticising anyone who voted to leave, merely pointing out that the debate 7 years ago was very poorly undertaken by both sides and became a binary issue with very little nuance. 

Anyway, back to our favourite team - I see that Cameron Archer managed an assist for the England U21s during the week. What are the chances he’ll be with us when the season starts? 

Martin did you also notice Aaron Ramsey scored England’s second goal, it was a very good game.

Anyone interested in watching the U21 European finals, there is a free app called UEFA TV, which shows all the matches live, England play their second group match against Israel tomorrow at 1700 hrs, Israel held Germany 1-1 in the first match, despite being down to 10 men from 45 mins.

Come on BORO.

This post was modified 10 months ago by exmil

ReplyQuote

Malcolm 

I have always enjoyed and valued your contributions and hope that you will continue to make them.

Your knowledge of and interest in Scottish football often gives us insights into what is happening north of the Border that may be relevant to the Boro, but the experience behind all of your posts always make them worth reading.

They make an important contribution to the rich variety of views on this blog and it would be much the poorer for your absence.

I hope you will stay.

Site Creator

Malcolm, the whole point of Diasboro is that we discuss matters without anyway deriding anyone for holding a view that is different from our own - if we all agreed on everything then we'd disappear up our individual echo chambers thinking only our own interpretation of events was valid. If people only want to hear what they agree with then there is no discussion just validation and nobody would ever even slightly change their view on anything. So please keep posting your thoughts, much of which I enjoy reading and often agree with but not every time.

Site Creator

Great to hear from you Ken and good to read that you're still sharp of mind even if your body is showing the wear and tear of a long and active life. Hopefully, you've still got more wisdom to impart before you continue your journey on a higher plane.

ReplyQuote

Hear, hear. Keep fighting Ken. I well understand and still remember most of your historical references, so you are never "rambling on" as far as I am concerned. I read and enjoy everything you write, so you will always have an appreciative audience here. My thoughts are with you.

Selwynoz

@exmil 

“Martin did you also notice Aaron Ramsey scored England’s second goal, it was a very good game.”

I think that it was his brother Jacob who scored.

utb

ReplyQuote

Article from my local MP Simon Clarke about Middlesbrough and Middlesbro in the United States

Very interesting. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02AvAVCpMdWY9DrxvBr1sNgiNhktvM86samvNEbK9QRbyRnEq8sGMxGhataRpUkEjjl&id=100057792050083

This post was modified 10 months ago by Malcolm

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Article from my local MP Simon Clarke about Middlesbrough and Middlesbro in the United States

Very interesting. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02AvAVCpMdWY9DrxvBr1sNgiNhktvM86samvNEbK9QRbyRnEq8sGMxGhataRpUkEjjl&id=100057792050083

Loved that read Macolm. Thanks for posting the link.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Boro have shown interest in Manchester City goalkeeper James Trafford, who impressed on loan at Bolton last season.

OFB

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

@ken 

Glad to hear you have been out of bed. I do have to say though that I am a little squeamish at the thought of putting olive oil in my ears. I agree that you should speak to your carers to arrange for your ears to be syringed.

I don't really do goodbyes very well at all. So let's not go there. You are here and that is just how I like it. Whatever and whenever what will happen to us all does happen then fine. Otherwise we are all still here and sharing thoughts, stories and opinions  and that includes you. I do hope you will find the energy to keep posting and to enjoy the Ashes cricket. Besides, I have been preparing a season predictions challenge to complement Exmils fabulous end of season challenge and that I will unveil in a few week's time.  I will need as many people (including you) to join in!

This post was modified 10 months ago by Powmill-Naemore

Martin Bellamy

Interesting- I’ve been following the Mayor of Middlesbro on Twitter for a while but he may have lost his position recently. The mention of the Cumberland Gap whetted my memory too of a song by Lonnie Donegan, with the line, “15 miles on the Cumberland Gap”. 

https://youtu.be/jWA997xM9MI

I was born in a house in Norwich Road in the Boro and I’m sure there was a Cumberland Road nearby. 

Here’s the ex Mayor: https://twitter.com/ricknel59029302?s=21&t=MSSXccUrVYylUT_ZQ5hJDw

This post was modified 10 months ago 3 times by Martin Bellamy

Liked by Malcolm
ReplyQuote

@selwynoz typo error and thanks for the correction, I was just making the point that both Boro loanee’s were involved in the two goals, how I would love them back for next season, especially Jacob Ramsey.

Come on BORO.

Liked by 4 people: Clive Hurren, Original Fat Bob, Malcolm and Selwynoz

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

Boro have shown interest in Manchester City goalkeeper James Trafford, who impressed on loan at Bolton last season.

OFB

This is the keeper who is playing for England U21’s in the Euro finals I have been watching, play again today at 5. If they get him on loan, what message does that send to Sol Brynn 🤔.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob 

Link about James Trafford on The 72. They reckon Man City are looking to sell him for around £6m. 

Feel ambivalent about that. Definitely a high-potential keeper but it closes the door for Brynn permanently which would be a shame. I also suspect that's a big chunk of our transfer budget. If we could get Darlow for less than 1/2 that and use him to mentor Brynn then, maybe, that's a better medium term plan. Gives us time to see if Brynn will make it. 

Women’s Ashes first test, Australia all out, England need 268 to win.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy yes I remember Lonnie Donegan and Cumberland Gap too Martin. I was a fan of Lonnie,'s, as we're The Beatles.

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 31
Share: