Norwich v Boro

84 Posts
21 Users
429 Likes
Topic starter  

Norwich v Boro

Tuesday 24th OCTOBER 2023

Carrow Road

Turning to our away game on Tuesday at Carrow Road it’s 10th versus the Boro in 13th against the Canaries, we both have the same points and Boro are on a roll. At the press conference today we discovered that Michael Carrick has ruled Riley McGree and Darragh Lenihan out of Boro’s  clash with Norwich City. He has also apparently suggested there are one or two others who are touch and go at the moment. McGree, who scored Boro's Goal of the Season at Carrow Road last term, will miss the game having also missed the game,against Birmingham on Saturday. Lenihan is apparently nursing an Achilles issue, whilst McGree has been having trouble with the bottom of his foot since the victory over Cardiff.

Asked for a fitness update ahead of Norwich, Carrick said: “Riley and Darragh won’t be ready. We’re kind of counting up the bodies if I’m honest at the moment. We’re trying to give the boys as long as we can to recover to find out who is fit and who is not. “That’s the nature of it and why we wanted the squad we assembled and the strength in numbers. We know over a period of time everyone will play a huge part. It always comes around and I’ve spoken before about individuals feeling they haven’t played as much as they’d like.”

Carrick went on to say at his press conference, “"But the games come around quick, and the boys know they’ve got to always be ready by training well. I’ve got no problems on that front. We’re disappointed with any injuries we pick up. But it’s always an opportunity for somebody else and we make the most of it.”

Looking at the coming fixture list, Carrick ruefully pointed out what lies ahead for our team. “There’s a lot of games coming up and some long trips, but that’s pretty normal, to be honest. We’re lucky enough to be able to fly to many of the longer away games. So on the map it’s a long way,and for the supporters travelling it’s a hell of a long way, so we appreciate that. For us, we’re fortunate enough as I’ve said, to be able to fly in and out for most games, so the distance is kind of taken away and we’re spoiled a little bit. But nevertheless, there is a cluster of games that we’ve got to manage. Some injuries and we’ve had illnesses through the squad as well. We’re not at full strength as a group, but that’s why we’re here. To play games, to win games and to be involved in cup competitions as deep into them as possible. It’s fantastic.”

Just an update on the other missing members of the squad, Lewis O'Brien and Sonny Finch are also long-term absentees after having surgery during the international break, whilst Matt Clarke continues to try and work his way back after over a year out now. It means Boro's squad is thinning in numbers, and it's far from ideal during a busy period.

After seeing Tommy Smith hobbling off and painfully walking around the ground on Saturday, I would be very surprised to see his name on the team sheet tomorrow evening. Fortunately we seem to have signed a plethora of full backs and  Van Den Berg, Dijksteel, Bangura, Coulson and Engel can all play in that position so it will be interesting to see who gets the nod for the shirt. Engel had his best game in a Boro team on Saturday and looks to be I,proving in every game. He is reading the game,well and has formed an understanding with his team mates. Whilst Paddy could also play at right back I would be loath to move him from his centre back pairing with Fry as young Dael seems to have rediscovered his form while playing alongside Paddy. The clean sheets prove this point don’t they? No goals against and a steady pair of hands behind them in Dieng who is the best goalkeeper we have had in a long time.

I also expect the midfield pairing of Barlaser and Hackney to continue for this game, despite the sentimental return of the former Norwich City Captain Johnny Howson. Barlaser had his best game for Boro on Saturday and his forward range of passing created some goal scoring opportunities which against a lesser keeper could have run up a cricket score. Hackney just keeps getting better and better and it shows what an absolute poor manager Wilder was when he couldn’t see what an important player he had in his ranks and didn’t include him in his squads. It took Leo to shove him into the team and for Carrick to nurture and develop his talent.

Crooks (my favourite player!) how many times have I extolled his virtues? Err none until Saturday and he was full of running and kept going to the end. He makes Jones look a great player and it’s obvious Jones likes playing alongside him.

I have seen some blogs criticising young Josh Coburn for spurning his goal scoring opportunities and also wondering if he had been taking lessons in the law of off side from our own Bernie Slaven! We don’t criticise young lads who are giving their all for the Boro team on this blog, and he needs the support of the fans at this stage of his career. I think he will start the game against Norwich as he is a big strong unit and if his ankle injury which he appeared to sustain on Saturday allows, then he will tough it out and then leave the field for Cappuccino to come on and use his pace to score in the last few minutes against tired legs. Cappuccino instead of Latte? Ok suit yourselves.

Then we have the exciting talent of Scott McDonald on the left whose buzzing high press of play forces defenders and goalkeepers into making errors. Who am I talking about? Am I the only one who thinks Greenwood looks the image and has a style of play similar to McDonald? He certainly seems to be getting better each game. Of course Greenwood is just another pawn(broker) in the scheme of things. Do other Diasborians remember Greenwood’s at North Ormesby? Never mind I digress as it’s getting late and I need to get this posted so that our overseas bloggers can read this and pull it to bits!

Turning to the Canaries, Adam Forshaw says he is ready to play whenever needed at Norwich City, as he hopes to be reunited playing against the Boro on Tuesday evening. The midfielder joined the Canaries on a free transfer this summer after his departure from Leeds United. Having built his fitness over the summer, the 32-year-old has made seven appearances this season for David Wagner's side, though only two have been starts. I must confess that Forshaw was one of those players that I always felt flattered to deceive. Nice and tidy playing around in circles but with no end product. Now having said that he will be busting a gut to prove a point against us tomorrow.

Norwich City head coach David Wagner confirmed that he was doubtful that Angus Gunn would be available to play for the Canaries' Sky Bet Championship fixture against the Boro.

Speaking to the media ahead of the mid-week clash, Wagner provided updates on a number of first-team players, starting with the City stopper.

"His scan is happening now, so there is no further news. I am quite sure he will not play tomorrow but we have to wait."

Gunn sustained an injury to his left leg during the Leeds game on Saturday, with Wagner confirming that there is an option to recall Jon McCracken from his loan, but a decision would be made later.

He also confirmed there were no new injury concerns following the match.

Speaking of Chilean international Marcelino Núñez, Wagner said: "Nacho arrived late last week and was tired with the time changes and jet lag, but will be ready for tomorrow."

On Borja Sainz, the head coach confirmed that the midfielder was fully fit after his time with the Under-21s.

He said: "Fitness-wise he is caught up in every way, apart from game time.

"In terms of understanding what we want from our wide players, he knows everything, he is on the same page like all the others. In theory, he is absolutely ready to play."

On reflection of Norwich City's 3-2 loss against Leeds on Saturday, Wagner explained he was pleased with progress he had seen in certain areas and that the points are there for the taking.

"At the end of the day, we've seen that we were not miles away, but obviously if we play in-ball possession at our best level, we can break opponents down and this is what happened in the first half.

"In the second half, our biggest problem was out of ball possession, where we had too many wrong decisions and technical mistakes, and this then cost us.

He went on to talk about the game on Tuesday against Boro.

"It will be a big challenge , hopefully we'll be the able to perform on a decent level like we know we can. We want to go back to winning ways.We are focused on the now, we know what went wrong against Leeds and we have improved. We won't look at last season's result against Middlesbrough away from home as that was last season.

We showed some good things performance-wise against Leeds, so hopefully we can be as ruthless as we were in the first half against them."

So what’s the forecast Diasborians?

We lose?  Nah !

We draw. Possibly? But not a goalless draw.

We win? Now you’re talking!

Me ?

Me?

Come on you all know me by now"……

I’m going for a Boro3 !

Canaries caged ! 0,!

OFB

Topic starter  

Enjoying a large (very large) glass of Tamnavulvin Single Malt sherry edition whilst wondering about the game tomorrow.

If it goes as smooth as this whiskey is going it’s going to be a buzz!

night all

OFB

@original-fat-bob - I am jealous of the Single Malt. But it's approximately 00.35am so it's a bit late for that.  Thanks for the Starter.

I have an idea what I think we will do at Norwich but it might be sensible to see how many fit players make the trip down to Carrow Road.  And who they might be...

After I press "send" on this, I'll check, but if there is confusion as to who is believed to be posting the Starters for the games in the rest of this season, I think AndyR in the thread for the Boro v Southampton game posted The Revised List (his list being posted to that thread on 25th September at 7.55pm).  I noted it  in order to have further reference to it in the future, and in the hope I wouldn't forget when it was my turn to do it.... If I say nothing further about it, that is because I am correct about the date and time the revised List was posted.  Sleep tight!

ReplyQuote

I have checked and thought I'd come back anyway, to confirm.  For mountaineering fans** I can confirm I am expected to do the Starter for the following games (and as things stand, I expect to be able to do so):

Boro v Hull            13.12.23

WRBC v Boro         27.01.24

Boro v Blackburn    16.03.24

Boro v Watford       04.05.24  (the game to decide who wins the Championship....).

**  Only joking about the mountaineering.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@original-fat-bob A big thank you for the opner. A tough match away at Norwich.

Elsewhere, I see that Ajax has sacked their manager. Coach Maurice Steijn has left Ajax by mutual consent after four months in charge.

The 49-year-old joined from Sparta Rotterdam in June on a three-year deal. But poor start to the season has left the 36-time Dutch champions second bottom of the Eredivisie table with just one win from seven league games.

I wonder how this will affect our dear Akpom. He has not played much this season but a new manager is always a question mark. Some Boro fans are already waiting Chuba to return in January. Up the Boro! 

Powmill-Naemore

Morning all, from the sunny Brittany coast where me and Mrs Powmill have been visiting Mrs P's sister in La Baule. 

Saw the Brum result went as we hoped, perhaps without as many goals as we hoped,  but better still to hear that Boro put on (perhaps) their best performance of the season.

We will be in transit for tonight's fixture, so I won't know the result until we land back in Edinburgh late on. Our CEO at work is a big Norwich fan, so I ha e to hope we will win so I can have bragging rights over him. Scraping another 1-0 would do me fine. But this Norwich team has shown it can be quite porous. So how about a 3-1 win for Boro.

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Powmill-Naemore

ReplyQuote

Thanks OFB for an informative opener with a bit of humour thrown in; no pulling to bits by this overseas supporter.

Not sure about tonight’s game as injuries are beginning to bite.  I think we will see RVB in place of Smith and the rest unchanged unless other injuries emerge.

I am happy whenever we can get any points from a Canaries game at Carrow Road as it has been a tough place for us to go over the years and we all too often do not seem to get the rub of the green.

I will be delighted if we can take at least a point as I would not be at all surprised to see our winning run come to an end against a team who are blowing hot and cold; I hope it’s the latter tonight and that the old boys of Gibson, Forshaw and Hernandez have off nights. Cob 😎

This post was modified 6 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

Thanks for the opener, Bob.

Brilliant work, especially at such short notice.

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Good work, OFB. I think I’d settle for a point but three would be better. 

Martin Bellamy

I’m down to write the PNE starter next month - I’ve started some of it so rest assured that it will appear. 

I still can’t find anything on BoroLive about a stream for the game. I’m up in Scotland with good wifi so don’t want to miss it if possible. Any ideas? 

ReplyQuote

Just checked. I have bookmarked the revised list. link should be

https://diasboro.club/forum/postid/22791/

I'm safe until the Ipswich game. 

ReplyQuote

In West Norfolk the foothills are shrouded by rain and mist with a light breeze and it's very mild. I can't see the mountain tops at all. I'm still under orders to stay out of crowds so it's the back of the couch for me even though it's my nearest game.

OFB, I envy the Single Malt, better than Dandelion and Burdock and some liquorice misshapes behind the couch. Maybe this Christmas, hopefully! Thanks for the starter and as always the usual high standard, I don't know how you and the rest of the writers do it. Well done to all of you.

No prediction, just don't concede Boro, then we're in with a chance.

All the best everyone.

UTB,

John

@martin-bellamy.  Club website has now been updated with the Norwich match stream now available to purchase if you don’t have availability via the Sky red button. 😎

This post was modified 6 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@john-richardson 

Thanks John I must confess that the single malt ensured a good night sleep after using the brain late at night !

OFB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Well done OFB for producing such an excellent and thorough opener at short notice - you certainly deserved that drink after that.

Could be a tricky game tonight and unfortunate not have McGree again - will Greenwood step up his performance or could Rogers get a start instead?

Hopefully, Hackney and Barlaser are fit to continue where they left off on Saturday as they ran the show between them. I’d like to see Dijksteel play right-back if Smith is out but I suspect van den Berg may be ahead of him.

Anyway, fingers crossed for this evening but unfortunately I will most likely not be able to watch the game.

Topic starter  

@deleriad 

Andy has posted the revised listing today

OFB

ReplyQuote
 gt

Tricky one tonight, saw them against Leeds , they were far superior for 6o% of the game and then just gave the game away, 

We have to work at closing them down, and eliminate their  attacking prowess ,

They will be at it, to eradicate the Leeds score, so a point will be a plus for us

ReplyQuote

@AndyR.  Sorry to hear about the op.  Hope you are soon fully recovered, best wishes. 😎

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

@AndyR.  Sorry to hear about the op.  Hope you are soon fully recovered, best wishes. 😎

same from here Andy as well. Hope all is well.

ReplyQuote

Michael Carrick won't be taking anything for granted at Carrow Road this evening, making comparisons between Middlesbrough and Norwich City when asked about the Canaries' recent form.

Boro head to Norfolk where both sides go into the game level on 17 points but in contrasting form. Having turned their season around after a poor start, Carrick's side will be playing for a sixth consecutive Championship victory in the game.

David Wagner's side, however, have lost five of their last eight league games. Their poor form has coincided with losing key players Josh Sargent and Ashley Barnes to injury, while they are also without Angus Gunn, Grant Hanley and Jacob Sorensen for Boro's visit.

READ MORE: Middlesbrough injury update for Norwich City with key duo out and Carrick 'counting the bodies'

But not reading too much into that, Carrick said: “We’ve had to quickly move on from the good result on Saturday because we’ve got a tough game on Tuesday. I don’t think you can judge Norwich on just their results so far this season. We judge them on how well they’re playing and what they’re capable of as well.

"They remind me a bit of us when we were finding it a little more difficult to get results but performances were there largely. Watching them over the past few weeks, it’s very similar. They’re very dangerous, very good with the ball, good going forward. They have some very good players and so they can create a lot of chances.

"They have a lot of experience at this level as well. You’ve got to be really good to beat them and we’re well aware of that. The run is the run, results-wise, but we’re not looking at that at all. We know it will be a tough game where we’ll have to be at our best to get the result we want."

On a run of six wins in all competitions, Carrick is hoping his side can go to Norwich and leave with all three points. He's hoping his side can continue their form, with consistency so important, but he knows they cannot afford to rest on their laurels.

“It’s important, but it’s certainly not easy," he said of being consistent. "We don’t take that for granted. It’s nice to be going into games in such a positive frame of mind, but I must say, even when we weren’t getting the results, I said it throughout that period, the boys stayed in the right frame of mind.

"There is a spring in their step at this present time though, of course. But we have that while understanding we have to do it all over again every time we play. What’s happened in the last six games, ten games, whatever, it doesn’t really matter. What’s important is what happens tomorrow."

ReplyQuote

OFB, great opener at short notice but there is no link under 2023-24, the last ones shown are Diasboro Previews Roster and Boro v Brum, I only found it because I noticed some comments on recent posts (on right hand edge) and clicked on one, otherwise I would have thought there hadn’t been a preview.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Reference above, I have just noticed the opener for Norwich has been placed lower down under Middlesbrough FC.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Stockport County’s Head of Performance Analysis Joppe Meulensteen has left for Middlesbrough, as announced by their official club website.

Middlesbrough have swooped to land the Stockport County man to bolster their backroom team. Michael Carrick’s side are currently sat in 13th place in the Championship table.

Meulensteen has worked at Edgeley Park since 2021. He is the son of former Manchester United assistant manager Rene Meulensteen, brother of Vitesse defender Melle, and sister of sports presenter Pien.

The Hatters have now confirmed he has departed for the Riverside Stadium. Simon Wilson, who is County’s Director of Football, has told their website: “We are all sad to see Joppe go – he’s been brilliant. But we wish him the best in his next chapter with Middlesbrough.”

Me too Andy.  Hope you are well on the way to recovery

ReplyQuote

Cheers gents. The worst of it seems to have passed.

@andy-r -  Best wishes and make a full recovery soon.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@exmil 

I’ll be able to move it to the correct place once I get a proper internet connection - posting from my phone at the moment in the middle of the North Sea (German Ocean 😉)

Probably not until Thursday - I guess OFB was on automatic pilot by the time he finished writing his article late on Monday as this is the first preview since I restructured the Forums.

Anyway, not a big problem but Saturday’s writer should check out my guide on Adding a New Topic just to be on the safe side 🙂

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

There’s never a good time to have an op Andy so take it easy and hope you’re on the mend

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@werdermouth 

It wasn’t the whisky 🥃 honest !

OFB

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

Many thanks to OFB for his leap into the breach, with a superb Headliner.

Andy, sorry to hear of your op, hopefully you be back up and running, not literally  🏃🏻‍♂️, soon.

As for tonight? Having missed my first game of the season on Saturday, I am hoping to get a positive performance and result tonight.

However, given it is away, a few players missing and we cannot win them all, I would be more than happy with a point, although deep down expect a defeat. ☹️

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: