Discussion Forum

January 2024 transf...

January 2024 transfer window

330 Posts
23 Users
1570 Likes

Posted by: @pedro

@original-fat-bob   As you say OFB, leakages coming from somewhere. Who is Fabrizio Romano ringing up?

From our perspective (the fans on here) it will mean another player loss for the season, when we can least afford them. More so losing Jones, a big loss, despite his criticism. Then there is the obvious issue with Coburn and who knows about LL.

Silvera and McGree missing until possibly after the 10 February Final.

For us, not knowing how much we paid for Rodgers and how we will have to hand over to Man City, makes it difficult on what would be a good fee. At ten million, which I find hard to believe, and which MFC will never disclose, I assume we could end up with   10 less 25% paid to City less 1 paid for Rodger originally = 7 million. 

Some of that will have to cover Azaz possibly, then Mr Gibson, may require a slice. So in the end there may be only a couple of million left. And we are desperate for a striker.

Whatever makes you think “Mr Gibson would take a slice” of the profit made from any sale of Rogers, or any sale for that matter, he has just removed over £100m+ from our debt 🤔.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@exmil    Only as part of the ongoing annual losses, that he is funding. Incoming money against outgoing money. 

He is of course governed by P&S, so there could be a very good chance that all or any of Rogers money would be available.

But then even Mr Gibson knows we need somebody else up front. Can we really expect him to stump up possibly a significant sum to add to the losses.

May be, thinking that if we do not get promoted this season, it will be possibly harder again next season. However he does know that we will probably lose HH and that could bring in a tidy lump.

ReplyQuote
 gt

You have to feel for Carrick. someone I imagine wants to coach at the top table. but then you see what you are really working with after last night. ,must put doubts on were you want to be going forward.

I can't believe how Fry as gone backwards,from two three years ago,and some of the signings , they're not hopeless it's just they are at the stage were they won't  get any better.

We have Hackney.Gibson, Mcgree  Van ,  maybe Bangura and Jones  who you could build around.,the rest I would look to replace, definitely two new center backs needed with speed . two mobile  midfielders . Striker. Carrick has a job on his hands

This post was modified 3 months ago by gt

https://football-observatory.com/WeeklyPost448

Further interesting context to our opponents last night: net spending over the last 9 years. Some suprising entries in there too including a smattering of EFL clubs UTB

jarkko

Remember Massimo Luongo?

The BBC is reporting that he has signed a new contract with Ipswich. They told that Luongo, who has previously played for Swindon, Sheffield Wednesday, QPR and Middlesbrough, is in his second spell with the Tractor Boys after first featuring for them on loan from Tottenham in 2012.

I just wonder did he ever play for Boro? He was at the club but I cannot remember he ever played actually.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68087719

Anyway, I am happy he has had two very successful seasons at Ipswich. Another example that we signed potentially a good player who never got a chance on Teesside. And now he might get promoted to the EPL.

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@jarkko 

He only ever played in one game (58 minutes) for Boro U21 side even though he was almost 30 at the time so probably not our best young signing 🤣 

Further to that - Luongo arrived in September 2022 on a three month deal after leaving Sheffield Wednesday following a long-term injury. Chris Wilder was in charge then but after he was dismissed, Leo took over and promoted Hayden Hackney to the first team squad. When Carrick took over he said Luongo is still trying to get to the required fitness level and then in December he started training with Ipswich instead as his deal ran out.

This post was modified 3 months ago by werdermouth

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

btw Just changed the date on the 'January 2024 Transfer Window' thread so it appears on the 'Recent Threads' list again.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Not about us but relevant. Blackburn Rovers have rejected an £18.5m bid from Crystal Palace for their 19 year old midfielder Adam Wharton. Wharton, is a little bit behind Hackney in his development but probably following a similar path.

There's also some excitement about a rumoured link to a former French wunderkid, Willem Geubbels. Despite the words of the song, he is believed to have a full complement of man eggs.

He's currently playing at St Gallen and played alongside Latte Lath last season. All seems very tenuous but always nice to have something different to think about.

Site Creator

@deleriad 

That's the problem with selling Rogers now for £10m (if it happens) as if he continues his improvement he could easily be worth £20m in 12 months time as he's got pace and skill and scores good goals - after all we paid £15m for Assombalonga a few years back and he didn't have half the ball skills Rogers has. Villa wouldn't be interested if they didn't think he was going to become a very good player soon.

@deleriad 

Good spot.

Geubell'e record of 4 Goals in 47 appearances means that his promo tape is full of clips showing him not scoring.

It's 18 months ago since Wilder outed Scott by labelling his recruits as 'projects', rather than players he could actually pick for the team.

Last Summer's recruits consisted almost entirely of "projects", the insult having been repurposed to suggest that this was now the club's primary recruitment aim.

This lad looks like someone who,in time, might graduate to become a project, a further degeneration.

He looks miles away from the striker we need right here and now.

Pedro de Espana

@lenmasterman        He looks miles away from the striker we need right here and now.

The truth is, we cannot afford the striker we need right now.

We fell lucky last season bagging Archer on loan and unless that flash on lightening strikes twice in the same place, then we will probably end up with a "past its sell by date" or another gamble, wrapped up as Len said, as a project, to join LL, Coburn, Gilbert (is he actually supposed to be a striker) and Hoppe (is he fit?)

ReplyQuote

Indicatations are coming through that Rogers wants away. No loyalty any more. Hope Boro gets the money that they want for him otherwise tell him to get stuck in.

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@malcolm What would you do in his position? He’s (apparently) being offered a move to a team near the top of the PL from a mid-table Championship team. In your career, if you’d been head hunted by one of the top organisations in your field with, presumably, a major increase in income, would you have turned it down out of “loyalty”?

Pedro de Espana

@martin-bellamy   The key to Footballer Contracts generally, is it is just that. A contract for a fixed term, albiet with possible "add ons"   So if you keep your nose clean and invest your salary sensibly, at the worst somebody like Morgan Rodgers should end up a millionaire in 3/4/5 years.

What's not to like about that.

ReplyQuote

🚨 Morgan Rogers to Aston Villa looks OFF, the deal is getting complicated with Middlesbrough’s unwillingness to accept or return any bids for the player.#Avfc are not willing to meet #Boro valuation however this could change in near future. As of now, too complicated.

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

• Bob, there’s an easy way to make Rodger’s move “ uncomplicated “ by Villa paying S Gibson’s price.   Afterall , what’s  another £1 million or £2 million to a top Premiership team.
  • Hope Boro  stick out for their valuation.
  •  
  • Philip of Huddersfield 

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@pedro Like most employment contracts, I suspect there’s always a way out. I’d genuinely be interested in reading a footballer’s contract to see what it contains.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Martin Bellamy

ReplyQuote
 gt

If we sell Gibson . I would try and get Seargent from Norwich . Mobile and gets goals 

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @gt

If we sell Gibson . I would try and get Seargent from Norwich . Mobile and gets goals 

Gibson?  *confused*

ReplyQuote
 gt

It's an age thing obviously meant Rogers 

ReplyQuote
jarkko

I would keep Gibson. He has done wonders for this football club since 1986. He is getting old but we all do. Up the Boro!

Posted by: @jarkko

I would keep Gibson. He has done wonders for this football club since 1986. He is getting old but we all do. Up the Boro!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
jarkko

I think we do not need new players in January. Perhaps a striker only.

The absentees' situation is not that bad in February when the Aussie pair will return. So two "new" players there.

Seny Dieng is still injured. But I hope he is not away for a long time as he even went to the pre-tournament camp with Senegal. Had he been badly injured, I think he would have not travelled all the way to Africa.

In defence we have Smith and Leninhan out for the rest of the season. But now McNair and Dijksteel were back to the playing squad already. So it is only Alex Bangura missing now. But we do not know how serious that is - where is Coulson when we would need him? And we have signed Ayling to help the defence, too.

In midfield we do not have anyone injured other than Isaiah Jones. Again, we do not know how serious that is but at least we have Forss back on the right. And we have even added Azaz into the midfield in general.

In the up-front we have some issues still. Again we do not know how severe is the injury to Emmanuel Latte Lath. We were missing him badly at Chelsea and also Josh Coburn was not used much as he has on-going groin issues. So here we might need a loan or even a permanent signing - of course a striker on a permanent deal is not easy in any January window.

What I tried to tell here is that the injury front looks a bit better in the coming weeks and when we get McGree back, we should start to climb the table. I really believe we have a good chance to bridge the three point gap to a top six position in the league. We need to get momentum going for us before the season ends and the possible play-off matches start.

But all the matches are tough in the league. But we can only get consistent by having a fit squad to choose from. Up the Boro!

This post was modified 3 months ago by jarkko

gt

Will that poor display the other night .put any prospective signings off

ReplyQuote

@gt 

I would think that the Boro performances at home to Villa and Chelsea will have encouraged players to join our club and our magnificent fans 

OFB

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

No.

ReplyQuote

Latest!

Boro dealt Rogers blow

Middlesbrough are braced for further bids from Aston Villa for Morgan Rogers after learning of the 21-year-old’s desire to join the Premier League club. Villa have so far had two bids for the forward rejected but the Daily Mail reports that Boro are now aware that Rogers is keen to move. Boro are now anticipating another bid for Rogers, who they currently value at a minimum of £10m.

EFL72 says:“This is proving to be one of the longer-running January sagas. With Rogers having four-and-a-half years left on his contract, Middlesbrough are not under any pressure to sell, but Aston Villa may well intensify their interest in the final week of the window, particularly if, as rumoured, Chelsea make a move for their back-up striker Jhon Duran.”

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

To be a little more expansive than my "No." response above.

A little like @OFB suggested, the previous performances against Villa and Chelsea at home are sure to have impressed any potential signees. Also, that I think any people coming in could see there is a high probability that they will get game time, especially if it is a striker we are courting, and what do players want to do more than anything else? Play in competitive matches.

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Announcement has just gone up that we have signed Luke Thomas on loan from Leicester as cover for Bangura's injury and support for Engel. It looks to be an intelligent signing bringing in a young player with plenty of premiership experience.

UTB

Another possible twist in the MR saga:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/rogers-middlesbrough-future-villa-emery-28516334 😎

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 11
Share: