Discussion Forum

Bristol City v Boro

Bristol City v Boro

105 Posts
20 Users
440 Likes

ReplyQuote

Friday approaches and another, thankfully short intermission, that interrupted the real football is out of the way. Boro are heading down to the West Country again and I hope they can maintain their record on Saturday in Bristol. No predictions from me apart from don't lose the match Boro, a win would be perfect, a draw less so but just don't lose.

I tend to follow News Now about Boro and I see that having got over our awful start where nobody was coveting Michael Carrick West Ham or their journalist fans are at it again touting him as their next manager when David Moyes retires next year. I shouldn't let it irritate me but it does, in reality I suppose they get desperate for something to write about. It would be good to see him sign a new contract but then contracts don't prove anything. I reckon I'm a typical Boro supporter always imagining the worst like that Paul Whitehouse character on the Fast Show.

All the best to everyone.

UTB,

John

Martin Bellamy

Another brilliant starter Andy, maintaining the exceptional standards on this Forum. You’ll all be a tough act to follow, when I post my effort for the PNE game next week. 
Before then, there’s the Bristol City game of course - I’m going for a 0-2 Boro win. 🤞🏻

Philip of Huddersfield

Listening to MC ‘s press conference it’s clear that Forsse is quite a number of weeks away from fitness and McGree is much further away - although he did say they’re not out for the season !!
When you add Lenihan and Smith , both out for the season, and O’Brien out till sometime next year,  then  it’s clear that Boro have been without 4  first team starters ( I’m assuming Forsse would have been on the bench and come on during the 90 minutes)

So , all credit to the remaining players achieving the recent wins which they will need to continue to do into the January window transfer period.

Perhaps these long term injuries will change Boro’s January recruitment to include a central defender as Clarke has to have a huge question mark over a successful comeback after over a year’s injury plus , its asking a lot of youngster Van Den Berg to come in as a central defender when he’s yet to play in that position for Boro - even acknowledging that’s his preferred position.

Clearly, it’s going to be a tough period for the players who are fit and perhaps we  should recognise this when results are not always what we hope.

As for Saturday, I’m hopeful Boro do enough to win and reasonably confident of a draw. 
Philip of Huddersfield 

ps Meanwhile, the locals here are not confident of a result against Southampton as pressure builds on Darren Moore.

Selwynoz

Given the ongoing injuries to five of our better players and the issues surrounding the integration of so many new players into the team, I'm finding it hard to know what represents a realistic expectation level for the rest of this season. Do we have the strength in depth to maintain a push for the play-offs? Probably yes but would it be seen as a failure if we just consolidate this season. I don't think so because we have so many good up-and-coming players and the longer term future looks very positive. 

Naturally, like all supporters I want us to win every game whilst deep down knowing that this is unlikely. 

What does the brains trust think?

UTB

ReplyQuote

The injured players, or the lack of them, is a problem but I fervently hope that those that are fit will have been well drilled and trained hard over the break and have become sharper, more aware and consequently able to adhere to the tactics, style and formations that Mr Carrick wishes them to follow. Fitness is going to be paramount for those left and maybe, just maybe, we may see the use of some fringe players who must have been training with the squad as late-is substitutes with the fresh legs. here's hoping.

UTB,

John

ReplyQuote

@selwynoz 

Acting as Gilbert Harding the trust thinks it’s Boro3 !

OFB

Liked by 4 people: John Richardson, Malcolm, K P in Spain and Selwynoz

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

@original-fat-bob 

Generally, I take the same position as you. I like to believe that a good result is coming so that I can enjoy the feeling of anticipation. If it works out that way then I feel even better and if it goes wrong I can cope with the disappointment.

UTB

ReplyQuote

One thing I'm not is an expert in club finances, contracts or insurance cover but, one thing that does bug me, and being a true blue Yorkshireman (Middlesbrough was in the North Riding when I was born in the heart of Park End, me mam hated hospitals), is seeing money being frittered away on injured players.  Do we have insurances or are there contractual caveats that cover a player that's basically going to be sat on his fanny for a year with zero return?

We currently have a ream of players that will not see the light of day until August 2024, considering that they're still at the club at that time and picked to play that is, or players that haven't been out of the box for over a year, that's one hell of a lot of cash lying about, literally.  Again, I'm a Yorkshireman and don't pay owt for nowt in return.

The above is an assumption that any player wouldn't swing the lead and feign a serious injury to improve his handicap, it has been known but that was up the road at skunk central.  The assumption is based on personal pride and a burning desire to play every single second of every single game that I could be involved in, a twinge was exactly that, a twinge, and never required me to lay on my back and wave my arms in the air until the medics arrived.  There again, I wasn't banking £20K+ a week with the prospect of getting my sticks out for a casual 18 or train my newly acquired thoroughbred gee gee, instead of being screamed at to push that extra shuttle run out and feeling real pain.

Just wondering like.

ReplyQuote

@peasepudinperth 

In olden days players received a basic wage and then appearance money, additional money for a draw and more money as a win bonus.

I’m not sure how the wage structure is set up these days but most clubs insure their players to cover for injuries so that costs are minimised and the club doesn’t lose out.

OFB

ReplyQuote

From EG

Middlesbrough will consider recalling their loan goalkeepers in January if both Seny Dieng and Tom Glover are away on international duty.

Dieng is likely to be in Senegal's squad for the Africa Cup of Nations in the New Year, which takes place between January 13 and February 11. Tom Glover could also be away for the same period of time as Australia take part in the Asian Cup, though he wasn't part of the latest Socceroos camp this month.

While Boro also have third-choice veteran Jamie Jones, who was signed in the summer with such a scenario in mind, beyond that the keepers left at Boro if both Dieng and Glover did temporary leave would be young academy players with no senior Football League experience.

READ MORE: Tom Glover and Jamie Jones Middlesbrough start debrief and the vital role they might yet play

Boro do, however, have three very good goalkeepers out on loan this season, with Liam Roberts at Barnsley though currently out injured after finger surgery, while Zach Hemming is thriving in Scotland with St Mirren and Sol Brynn is impressing at Leyton Orient. All three loans have recall clauses, and bringing at least one back to cover throughout January is something Boro will consider.

Carrick said: "It's something we've got to look at and something we're obviously aware of. The situation is not new to us. There is a little bit of making plans and a little bit of plans change with so many moving parts. But of course, you plan and understand what it might look like. It's ongoing but we're fully aware of it.

"[Recalling loanees] is one of the options we have. There are all sorts of thinking that goes into that. You have to consider each individual as well. Of course, what's best for us and what we need as a team is important. But there is a big element of each situation and what's best for the individual, which might not be pulling them back because we need them.

"They've got their own development to think about. So it's not as easy as just 'let's get every goalkeeper back that we've got'. There's an awful lot goes into that thought process and when we make the decision we'll try to make sure that it's the best one for everyone."

As things stand, taking into account the obligation to release players before the tournament starts, Dieng and Glover would likely miss six Boro games if their countries advanced, as expected, to the latter stages of the respective international tournaments. Progression in the FA Cup for Boro would increase the amount of games they'd miss, however.

Only two of those games would come after the conclusion of the January transfer window, however, and one option Boro would potentially have is recalling one of the aforementioned loanees before sending them back to the club at the very end of the window.

With players not permitted to play for more than two clubs in a single season, Boro would have to be certain said club would want them back, while the strategy would also risk their player losing their place in the loan team while back on Teesside for the month. However, it could be a case of needs must for Boro, with capable competition naturally needed for Jones just in case injury were to strike.

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob - I guess the proportion of people in the UK who have heard of (or remember) Gilbert Harding will be vanishingly small, given that if he were alive he'd now be 116 years old and that he died 63 years ago.

I have pulled back from the Blog for a few days rather in the way the Championship has pulled back from playing games. I recognise that Boro is in something of an injury crisis and that, with the Africa Cup of Nations to follow shortly, Boro may be even more short of players in the weeks to come.  Neverthless, on the basis the remaining players are fit and healthy and raring to go again after some work with the coaching team on the training pitches, I maintain my earlier optimistic feeling about the Bristol City game. I'll go for the lazy 1-3 win that I mentioned (what seems like) ages ago. In reality, of course, any win will do.

For those in foreign climes at present, I can reveal that in North Yorkshire but in reasonable striking distance of The Riverside, the weather is currently dry (with a 0% chance of rain all day) with sunny intervals, 5C and a gentle 7mph North Westerly breeze. That continues until tomorrow evening although the wind will move slowly to a Southerly direction, but from 6pm onwards on Sunday it will be drizzly. "Winter is coming" next week, apparently, with quite a bit of precipitation, but only when it gets to about 5am on Wednesday 29th November does the temperature fall to below zero (minus 1C). How does that make those of you in Spain, Australia or Finland feel about avoiding the British early winter? 

I have just had a delivery of logs which, if used regularly from now on, should last until March.  One load of mixed dried hardwoods and one of dried beech wood.  Just about to light the log burner. So much nicer to look at than a radiator!

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@forever-dormo It’s dry here on the borders of the East and North Ridings, although cloud has arrived after morning sunshine. No log burner unfortunately, but the air source heat pump is doing a sterling job of keeping us toasty warm. We’re off to the static in Shropshire tomorrow so packing warm clothes.

ReplyQuote

Dormo,

You don't know what suffering is until you've had a run of temperatures that started on Monday as 34C, the following days went thus, 36, 37, 39, 41, 39 today and 39 tomorrow, next week sees more of the same but cooling off to 29 on Thursday.  If you need your wood drying out we can oblige, but I don't think that the eighteen families across the freeway that lost their homes in the bushfires over the last few days would appreciate me adding more kindling to the blaze.

By the way, what's a radiator?

This post was modified 5 months ago by Peasepudinperth

@forever-dormo.  Had the central heating and gas fire on for the first time yesterday.  Day time temperature still getting up to c. 20 degrees + but drops quickly in the afternoon and down to single figures; single brick houses mean it is often warmer outside than in during the winter so heating is much needed.

Don’t miss the UK winters or the rain, most of our winter days are often bright and sunny I am pleased to say. 

Btw.  Latte Lathe in for Coburn with the rest unchanged. CoB 😎

ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy - It's become grey sky here, now, but still dry.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Team News...

Just the one change with Latte Lath starting instead of Josh Coburn

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Been a busy week and haven't thought much about the football until reading Andy's excellent opener, which has got me fully up to speed.

I'm not keen on these international breaks as they kill the momentum and make the season too stop-start - though I guess some players needed a rest but the good ones don't get one.

Still, I like to think Boro could win this one but I'm not yet convinced by Latte Lath and the team have lost the focal point of Coburn.

Let's see how Boro start but I fear we might see a few missed chances and missed passes until the players are back up to speed.

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth With you 100% regarding Latte Light Two Sugars, although Josh's return in terms of goals hasn't exactly been Kanesque, his hold up play and link between the oncoming players has earned him deserved applause.  Once more what the hell do I know, but if things don't go well then my telly will be receiving no end of my expert advice.

ReplyQuote

The weather in West Norfolk is clear and cold, we lit the wood burner last night for the first time and it will be on again tonight, in fact before the final whistle. This morning was the first morning with frost on the car and tonight more of the same apparently. Obviously it's time for some players to don glove and two shirts. I hope Boro are set for action and don't let us down, Coburn on as sub for the last twenty minutes? Come on Boro.

UTB,

John

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

@selwynoz 

Just think 🤔 

Our previous manager wasn’t wilder bout him and played him in the u23 team and sent him away on loan !

Just shows what type of manager he was !

A good spot by Leo to put him in the first team and a good second decision by MC to play him consistently. 👏👏👏

OFB

Forest apparently sniffing round HH:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/middlesbrough-served-a-reminder-of-why-they-must-keep-nottingham-forest-target-in-january-view/

Why on earth would he want to go there? 

Liked by Selwynoz and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

link for game

f https://hesgoal.one/fixture/bristol-city-vs-middlesbrough/1266146#livestreamor      

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Jones had the ball in the net in the  22nd minute, but it was ruled out for offside.  🙁

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@stircrazy Kerching$$$$$

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Oh no 1-0.  😎

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Jones had the ball in the net in the  22nd minute, but it was ruled out for offside.  🙁

Then the Robins take the lead in the 36th through a player who rejoices in the name of Taylor Gardner-Hickman.  🙁 

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Then the Robins take the lead in the 36th through a player who rejoices in the name of Taylor Gardner-Hickman.  🙁 

CJ's view:

Boro behind. Boro just don't do closing down around the edge of their penalty area. It's another where an opposition player is allowed to run or have too much space outside the box within shooting range as Van den Berg shows him inside too easily and Fry backs off. Gardner-Hickman bends one in off the underside of the bar.

ReplyQuote

Bad to worse, now conceded a penalty.  This is a typical Boro performance and if not for Dieng we could be four down. 😎

ReplyQuote

The Robins go two up courtesy of a penalty in the first minute of injury time!

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

It's been a first half that has looked in the majority like a training game with a lack of intensity from both sides - probably the first bit of quality was the strike that gave Bristol City the lead but Boro have responded by making unforced defensive errors that ended up with conceding a penalty. A long way back now against a side that don't concede many and so far Boro haven't looked at their best.

Liked by K P in Spain and Selwynoz
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: