Discussion Forum

Boro v WBA

Boro v WBA

72 Posts
17 Users
375 Likes

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @werdermouth

Big result for Boro tonight - Hull were 2-1 up at Bristol City at HT but the Robins scored twice in the second half to beat the Tigers 3-2 - stopped Hull going 9 points clear of Boro in 5th and will keep the playoffs in reach if we can beat WBA tomorrow and get within 3 points of them both.

Yeah, Aaron Connolly got Hull's first, while in the West Midlands, Cameron Archer gave the Blades a late lead at Villa Park only for the Villans to equalise late in injury time to salvage a draw.

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @jarkko

What a week!

We have 14 first team players injured and we got to the Semi-Finals of the EFL Cup. That would have been our best ever achievement before the Riverside Revolution. I am old enough to remember that.

And some said we have not a decent squad. I would say we have super Michael Carrick!  Up the Boro!

I am just catching up on everyone's posts in this thread. Very unusually for me I ended up with quite a bit of real work to have to clear just before Christmas. Usually this is a very quiet time for me work-wise so it has been a bit of a shock to the system!

Anyway, sorry for the late reply to this post of yours Jarkko, but I think you might have forgotten we did reach the semis of the League Cup once before the Riverside revolution... was it season 1975/76 that we lost to Citeh?

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

I am up to date with all the WBA thread now.

Some wonderful posts in here. I must say that although I knew we were coming into a busy spell, seeing the upcoming fixtures listed by FD is quite sobering. If we get to the end of January and we are still in touch with the playoff hopefuls we will have done very well. Any more than that might be considered outstanding.

I also have to commend FD's dutiful approach to making sure important guests are made appropriately welcome with only the very best dram available in the house and, of course, for also ensuring only the very best quality wines and spirits are deployed for consumption on Christmas Day itself. A most diligent and thoroughly professional approach that is certain to be adopted in this small corner of Scotland, not only for the Yuletide festivities but also for Hogmanay. Thank you for sharing such sage advice FD. 

To everyone still to travel; safe and stress free journeys to you all.

To Jarkko, I envy that you have snow. I am a soft and old romantic that loves to dream of a white Christmas, just like the ones we used to know. With the climate changing, I wonder how many more times we will see a genuinely snowy Christmas period in the UK again.

To everyone in here, a very merry Christmas to you. I hope you will all enjoy the long weekend as much as we will in Scotland's Fair City.

Last of all for this post, I hope the Boro will be only 3 points off 6th place at the end of today.

CoB

PS. Did you know that in some parts while the day before Christmas is Christmas Eve, today, the day before Christmas Eve, is known as "Tipsy Eve". Hold that thought...

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by Powmill-Naemore

jarkko

@powmillnaemore I was thinking the Man City match, too. But couldn't remember when it was.

Anyway, both would be equal (the record).  So it would have been a top performance this year. Just wanted to highlight the work Carrick has done with so many injuries and nigles. Up the Boro!

This post was modified 5 months ago by jarkko

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Pedro de Espana

Thank you OFB for your comprehensive Headliner.

We are In the UK, and I am on the bus to the Riverside as I write this.

I think it will be too big an ask to get a result this afternoon, especially against WBA.

We will need everyone to be at the top of their game, very difficult given the current circumstances. A draw would be an excellent point.

Unfortunately, looking at Dormo's fixture list, I think by the end of January, we will be out of both cups and any chance of the play offs.

BAH HUMBUG 

A HAPPY AND PEACEFUL CHRISTMAS AND 2024 TO ALL 

ReplyQuote

I see that the Dirties are thumping the Tractor Boys by 4-0 with just half an hour to go...

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Team News...

So Rogers and Jones are fit but Lathe Latte is missing or indeed any recognised striker starts - Greenwood comes in as Crooks gets to rest his weary legs - though the good news is that McGree is on the bench along with Coburn but no sign of Hackney yet

This post was modified 5 months ago by werdermouth

ReplyQuote

• At the Riverside. It is a grey but mild day (11C). I wonder if I will get a call-up at HT? Wearing shorts just in case.
  • I will be VERY bold. 1-0 Boro and a clean sheet (!!).

Wish Neil Maddison was still at the wedding!!!

ReplyQuote

Get in 1-0.  Peach of a pass from Barlaser through the defence for Engel to square to Rogers to score. CoB. 😎

Site Creator

Been an interesting tactical battle in the first half with the game toing and froing between the two teams as each builds up momentum and the other keeping their shape. Boro at times have missed a centre-forward to make the runs into the box to give the wide players something to aim at but the rotation of the forwards has started to make the Baggies defence less certain. Barlaser has played the quarter-back today and has played some lovely passes and it was one well-weighted one to Engel that led to the goal from Rogers. Hopefully Boro can get a second and three points today - still plenty to do in this game though.

Topic starter  

So it’s 14 corners to. 1 and 1 goal to Boro and should be played against 10 men

ReplyQuote

The Baggies apparently lucky still to have eleven men on the pitch - CJ (14th minute):

Should Kipre be sent off?

Engel plays Jones in behind again. First touch takes him away from Kipre who brings him down. Last man. So early in the game. Only thing the referee could say is he might have been going away from goal. But the touch wasn't too far in front, and he was away. It feels like, so early in the game, James Linington has bottled making that big decision.

Carrick fuming. Huge boos around the Riverside.

And five minutes later:

Isaiah Jones

That red card incident was the second time already that Jones has floated inside and ran off Kipre's shoulder. The West Brom defender was lucky with the first one because he pulled at Jones then but Jones didn't go down. This time he did, but Kipre is only booked.

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Clive Hurren, Pedro de Espana and Malcolm

ReplyQuote

I know it's only HT but the prediction is still "on". Didn't feel quite so sure of it when WBA hit the woodwork and then, a few seconds later drew a good save from Glover after a close range header.

Seems a decent crowd which is a bit of a surprise to me. The pitch is getting its HT dowsing (though I don't think Teesside is in the middle of a December drought).

Come on SANTA!  Let's have the three points, please. Some of us on this site have been really good all year and this is the last chance before 25th December.

Boro up to 10th in the table, behind the Deck Chairs on goal difference as it stands (DCs losing, by 0-1 at home to Coventry).  Only seven more goals needed for them to change places...  Pity about the RvdB one disallowed for offside in the 48th minute - CJ:

Good positive start to this half from Boro. Jones wins a FK just outside the box. Greenwood hits the wall but, it slips through into Dijksteel's path. He slices an effort at goal which therefore falls kindly to Van den Berg at the back post. He taps into the empty net, but replays showed the linesman is right to raise his flag.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Boro up to 10th in the table, behind the Deck Chairs on goal difference as it stands (DCs losing, by 0-1 at home to Coventry).  Only seven more goals needed for them to change places...  Pity about the RvdB one disallowed for offside in the 48th minute.

Deck Chairs now 0-3, with 12 minutes of normal time remaining.

ReplyQuote

McGree on for Silvera ( 😀 ) & Crooks for Rogers (injury) in the 79th minute.

ReplyQuote

Your prediction comes by courtesy of Father Christmas.  Great result.  Get in!!

What a great win and enjoyable match with some excellent football played at times.  

A superb team performance with outstanding contributions from Barlaser, Howson, Fry, RVDB and Engel.

Now go and get three points on Boxing Day please.

Happy Christmas to everyone, enjoy the weekend because I am already! 😎

Site Creator

Well that was a pretty intense game and a great team performance by Boro today where everyone worked extremely hard for the three points. It was also probably one of our most solid defensive performances of the season with the whole back four playing well - Howson and Barlaser did well in midfield and the forwards were unlucky not to score more than one goal.

In the end good subs from Carrick to see the game out as the welcome return of McGree (albeit for a week) and Coburn helped Boro retain possession in the final third. A very important win that sees Boro now within 3 points of the play-offs with a trip to bottom club Rotherham up next - Boro may have turned the corner in time for the new year!

Boro up to 10th in the table, behind the Deck Chairs on goal difference as it stands (DCs losing, by 0-1 at home to Coventry).  Only seven more goals needed for them to change places...  Pity about the RvdB one disallowed for offside in the 48th minute.

Deck Chairs now 0-3, with 12 minutes of normal time remaining.

DCs finished that way, but Boro pushed down one place to 11th after Cardiff won with a sucker punch away to the Wendies.   

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

Well, once more, what do I know.

After a nervous first 15/20 minutes with WBA having multiple corners and a  couple of great chances Boro grew into the game.

In my opinion, a definite red card, as Jones was away. The ref bottled it. The WBA players knew it could/should be a sending off as they surrounded the refferee.

Then a really well worked goal. 

Second half, Boro played some lovely football and with better finishing should have been comfortably home and dry after 70 minutes.

Engel MotM for me. But good performances all-round. Let's hope we get a couple more of the injured players back for next week.

Posted by: @pedro

Engel MotM for me. But good performances all-round. Let's hope we get a couple more of the injured players back for next week.

The Echo made Barlaser its MotM, but also gave 9s to Fry & Rogers:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24010174.middlesbrough-ratings-vs-west-brom-dan-barlaser-man-match/

ReplyQuote

Gazettete Ratings

Tom Glover - 7

A solid Boro defensive display meant he only had one major save to make and he did so by reacting really well. Some good distribution too, it was a positive display ahead of likely losing Seny Dieng for over a month for international duty.

Anfernee Dijksteel - 7

A much better display from the right-back as he proved reliable in the defensive structure and attacked very positively too. One or two loose passes, but far better.

Rav van den Berg - 7

Part of an excellent team performances defensively. Boro were so well-structured and Van den Berg came up with some big tackles and headers to play a crucial role in the clean sheet.

Dael Fry - 8

Immense at the back. Quite often the player duelling with Baggies top-scorer Brandon Thomas-Asante, he kept the big striker quiet throughout.

Lukas Engel - 8

A performance that highlighted his brilliant recovery at Boro. It was an error early on at West Brom that really dented his confidence, but having shown immense character to recover, he assisted the goal, played through Isaiah Jones for the Cedric Kipre red-card moment and had other really positive attacking and defensive moments.

Jonny Howson - 7

Another brilliant performance from the veteran. leading by example, he was full of energy and battled away well throughout for Boro.

Dan Barlaser - 8

Boro's man of the match. Barlaser has been the whipping boy of late and, what is a period of real opportunity, he hasn't always done enough to really cement his place. But here he always wanted the ball, was involved in almost every Boro attack, including the defence-splitting pass early in the move for the goal, and he protected to defence well too.

Isaiah Jones - 8

Lively throughout, he enjoyed a freer role against West Brom, regularly floating inside and running off the shoulder of the last defender. He had a great early chance and was fouled when last man in what should have been an early red card for Kipre. He was a major threat throughout.

Morgan Rogers - 8

Another performance of real confidence and endeavour. He constantly wanted the ball and wanted to do something positive with it. Some lovely touches and flicks and a wonderful match-winning finish.

Sam Greenwood - 6

Worked hard for the side and was part of a really fluid attack that made life difficult for West Brom. However, he was guilty of holding on to the ball and giving it away once too often, while also missing a sitter to double the lead that thankfully didn't prove too costly.

Sammy Silvera - 6

Although it was a fluid attack, Silvera was the centre-forward of the pack. It's a role he's performed as a sub late in games from time to time but never from the start. He worked really hard and tried to drive possible whenever given the chance. It wasn't the easiest of conditions for him to shine in, but it shouldn't take away from his contribution.

Substitutions

Riley McGree (For Silvera, 79') - N/A - Great to see him back from injury. Given a great reception.

Matt Crooks (For Rogers, 79') - N/A - Important fresh pair of legs up top for the last ten. He battled and worked hard to help see out the result.

Josh Coburn (For Greenwood, 86') - N/A - Like McGree, great to see him back on the pitch. Won an important defensive header from a corner soon after coming on too.

Matt Clarke (For Barlaser, 89') - N/A

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @pedro

The Echo made Barlaser its MotM, but also gave 9s to Fry & Rogers:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24010174.middlesbrough-ratings-vs-west-brom-dan-barlaser-man-match/

Likewise the Gazette, which was slightly less lavish, but still handed out five 8s!

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-player-ratings-vs-west-28342847

This post was modified 5 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Am I being controversial when I say we look a better side without crooks ?

OFB

ReplyQuote

Just diverting for a wee bit.....MICHAEL BEALE admits his first game as Sunderland boss “could not have gone any worse”, but accepted the fact that a significant section of the home support at the Stadium of Light was chanting the name of his predecessor, Tony Mowbray.

ReplyQuote

MC's comments on the reappearance of Riley McGree & Josh Coburn in the latter stages of today's match:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24010215.middlesbrough-carrick-west-brom-win-latte-lath-dieng-injuries/

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: