Discussion Forum

Boro v Sunderland

Boro v Sunderland

142 Posts
23 Users
675 Likes

MIDDLESBROUGH will again be without attacking duo Emmanuel Latte Lath and Isaiah Jones for Sunday's game against Sunderland.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@malcolm.  😟

ReplyQuote

🎶 He’s coming home, he’s coming home, McGree is coming home🎶 (Silvera too).

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

Let's hope he is fit and interested. 

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Let’s hope he’s on a plane

ReplyQuote

@selwynoz.  Yes but to where?  Might need two week holiday to rest and recuperate! 🤔🤣😎

ReplyQuote

Thanks Clive for the new lead article. Only been to Sunderland once early 80's Roker Park. Was one of the most frightning times I have had at football. I am a little concerned about Sunday. It is an early kick off, and historically we don't do well when we start at lunchtime, the SOL being an exception. Also our current league home form is awful- 4 points from the last 5 games. 

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

@KP in Spain

He wasn't in Graham Arnold's first team and, therefore, he hasn't played that much in the tournament and should be pretty fresh. Even more so for Silvera who played even less. They could have been on a flight today and back home Saturday night but, more likely, they will be back early next week. 

UTB 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Selwynoz

ReplyQuote

@k-p-in-spain 

Mcgree played 250 minutes for the Socceroos in the past 4 weeks, so less than three games and while he was away Boro will have played seven games. He had warm weather training for another week on top of that so I think he should be good to go next Saturday.

ReplyQuote
 gt

I think Sunderland will have noticed how we have players at the back .who are uncomfortable when pressed quickly. The first fifteen mins they will do that. Hopefully we will get through that period., and push on , we can't afford to drop points going forward.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Thanks Clive for that very enjoyable high energy opener that's got me back in the mood for watching Boro again after that horror show at Stamford Bridge. It may be the biggest derby in Stockton but when it comes to football I don't really do the hate the thing (that's reserved for injustice or even worse - things that don't work as they should) but instead I do indifference and there are plenty of teams that I'm just not bothered about - with Chelsea being up there on the 'who are yer' list.

Anyway, my inner Keegan would love it if we can repeat that scoreline from the Stadium of Light at the Riverside to carry off a glorious double but not sure Boro have much fire power available at the moment with the injuries and those about to board a plane back from the Asia Cup.

Must be time for Azaz to step up this weekend and Forss should also be fitter and then it depends on the state of Coburn's groin and whether Greenwood is back on form or not. Hopefully, our new full-backs luke the part on Sunday and then take your pick for the central defenders and then it's deciding which of the central midfielders miss out - might be a game for Howson and Hackney but we may need Barlaser's offensive passing.

Still, Boro really need three points so no messing up at home again please!

Pedro de Espana

@mw-in-darwin. Yes hopefully they /McGree are both fit and raring to go, especially McGree.

If he wants to play in the EPL, then he needs to up his game, be consistently good and showcase his talent.

Not sure why he did not start any game. Obviously not a first team pick, the not fit, just a red herring perhaps.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@werdermouth      loved, "luke the part"

ReplyQuote

@gt 

I think that’s why we signed another left back on Loan from Leicester.

He said the part of the game that he enjoys is playing the ball out of defence. Could make a difference?

Hope H2 has a better game tomorrow!

OFB

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Malcolm, Pedro de Espana and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

Seems ages now since Middlesbrough played a game. Looking forward to tomorrow's encounter. Going to be exciting against Sunderland. We need desperately  the three points.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

CJ from the Gazette writes   

Exactly when the pair will be available again remains to be seen. Both will be offered an opportunity for time off after the tournament, as is customary. However, the players could refuse that and immediately return to Teesside to be hypothetically available for next weekend's clash with Bristol City.

Why should they be given any time off? They choose to go, we are paying their wages. It will say a lot about the pair if they are not back by Tuesday for Training. 

ReplyQuote

From C J

Michael Carrick would usually be one to play down the significance of individual games but even he couldn't deny the importance of the Sunday's clash between Middlesbrough and Sunderland - though maybe not for the reason you'd expect.

Around this fixture always comes the 'is it or isn't it?' derby debate. One thing that cannot be denied is that they are two sides within close proximity who absolutely want to best the other to win those bragging rights. That will be no different on Sunday at the Riverside, with Boro currently one-nil up on clashes this season thanks to their 4-0 victory at the Stadium of Light in October.

Boro boss Carrick preferred not to be dragged into the derby debate, and while insisting that the reverse fixture would have no relevance to this latest meeting on Teesside, he didn't play down the significance of the game at this time, with both sides competing for a spot in the Championship top-six.

READ MORE: Middlesbrough looking up as all focus switches to Championship play-off battle

“These games tend to be one-offs," Carrick said. "It's all about what happens, who gets up out of bed early enough and prepares well enough. We won't be looking at the past, it's all about Sunday.

“There's an importance to it, without doubt. It's key in terms of setting us up for the next little bit; setting us up for the next run of games, and it takes the points off them too. Will it tell the whole story of the season? No, but it will definitely give us a boost if we can put the right performance in and get the right result.

“I'm really looking forward to it. I expect a terrific atmosphere. I look back to the support we had at Chelsea, that was incredible. The reaction they gave us at the end after a defeat was pretty special. To bring that atmosphere and level of support and for us to hopefully give them a bit more to shout about is the ideal scenario.”

On paper, it appears to be a clash between two very evenly matched sides who both made the play-offs last season and who both have similar off-field policies in place with regard to their aims of recruitment. Just three points currently divide them in the league table, though Sunderland are one game better off too.

The Wearsiders arrive at the Riverside on the back of a 3-0 victory over Stoke City but have won just two of their last ten away games. All is not quite harmonious, with supporters not fully taking to new boss Michael Beale yet after he replaced Boro legend Tony Mowbray.

Despite that, Carrick expects a very tough game, saying: “We know they have good players, a lot of younger players. They're a hugely talented team. You can see he's come in [Michael Beale] and changed and tweaked a couple of things. I've watched a number of games now, it was a big result for them last week and they played really well. We know what we're up against. It will be a big test."

The game is a noon kick-off on Sunday - a somewhat unique kick-off time that comes even 30 minutes earlier than the standard Saturday televised lunchtime kick-off. Having already mentioned the significance of who gets out of bed and prepares well enough, Carrick was asked if such an early kick-off changed the pre-match plans and rituals much.

He said: “You do have to adapt. We don’t make a major deal out of it, but there are little things you need to adapt. It is very different playing at midday and you have to think about the time to prepare for the game, what time you eat the night before, what you eat, how you sleep, all that sort of stuff.

"There is a bit of a change, but ultimately once you’re there and at the stadium, it’s the same preparation for any other game and the rest is almost irrelevant what time of day it is."

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Team News...

Howson, Hackney and Barlaser all start with Forss, Azaz and Greenwood in attack so an attacking midfield role for Hackney again maybe? Thomas on the bench with Engel starting with Fry and RvdB in central defence. btw Silvera on the bench so he must have got a quick flight back! Also just noticed a keeper called 'Gloves' on the bench with the other 'Glover' starting 😉 

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by werdermouth

ReplyQuote

Not sure about Greenwood, which means he will probably score 🤣 

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@malcolm.  I hope so as we will probably need two goals to win given our habit of conceding! 😎

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain  yes our home performances leave a lot to desired. Inconsistent as has been  the season to date. 

Can we score two goals, knowing that we will  probably concede. Engel up against Clark possibly. ☹️

Lets just hope we can create some chances and take what we make. 

This post was modified 3 months ago 3 times by Pedro de Espana

ReplyQuote

Well it should be 1-1 with both sides missing a gilt edge chance each but it remains 0-0.

We still do not look fully secure at the back and I fear that one mistake will be our undoing.

Have managed to pinch the ball high up the pitch on a number of occasions but failed to capitalise.

All still to play for. CoB 😎

Liked by 4 people: Pedro de Espana, jarkko, Malcolm and Original Fat Bob

ReplyQuote

Sunderland the better team in the first half. 

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@malcolm Not for me. I think we’ve edged it.

ReplyQuote

From C J

Sunderland the better side here. Boro had one or two moments but Sunderland been the better side and had the better chances. A lot of issues for Carrick to consider at HT. Lack of midfield control, vulnerability on the left, lack of a striker impactful.

ReplyQuote

Pity we’re not at the game today in our seats. Good job it’s on Sky 

Grest goal line clearance from VDB

OFB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

A first half lacking in real quality when needed - Boro looking a bit light in midfield with Howson looking off the pace and plenty of misplaced passes by those around him. Greenwood may not lack enthusiasm in his forward role but has rarely convinced he can offer much other than fouls and offside runs - Boro could do with Coburn leading the line to offer some focus and holding on to the ball. At least Fry and RvdB have looked decent in defence as has Glover behind them. But overall Boro need to up their game if they are to win this one as Jack Clarke looks like he is the best player on the pitch.

ReplyQuote

@malcolm 

Some good points but we’ve have our chances to score as well. Azaz starting to get into the game.

OFB

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

Pity we’re not at the game today in our seats. Good job it’s on Sky 

Grest goal line clearance from VDB

OFB

Is that the one where he saved Jonny H's bacon - CJ:

Huge let-off for Howson. His sloppy pass in his own half gifted Sunderland possession. He then chased Bellingham down to win it back, but was beaten so easily on the touchline. Bellingham inside to Clarke inside the six-yard box. He squares to Ba to take Glover out of the equation and Ba has an open goal but Van den Berg clears off the line. Huge let-off, but so poor from Boro.

ReplyQuote

From CJ

Issues for Carrick to consider at half-time

• Sunderland are the side who have looked more assured and controlling. They've come through the middle a little too easily and Howson and Barlaser haven't really got to grips with the game and have been too easily bypassed with the lack of pace telling
  • Boro's left has been of particular concern. Sunderland targeting that area and Ba has been lively. A particularly problem now because Engel has been booked. He's being left exposed a lot by Azaz who has had a torrid first half. Drifting inside and not getting back to support, he's also offering so little in possession
  • No striker looks an issue. Boro's moments have come on the transition with space in behind to exploit but Greenwood doesn't look the man to exploit it. You can't argue with his effort, but that instinctive nature in terms of making the right runs and gambling on things just isn't there. With no outlet, Boro can't make it stick and their moments have mainly been flash in the pan stuff

Liked by Clive Hurren
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: