Discussion Forum

Boro v Rotherham, S...

Boro v Rotherham, Saturday 20th January 2024

63 Posts
20 Users
417 Likes
jarkko

@forever-dormo Yes, I go to sauna together with my wife. So we mix sexes only among the family. If you have guests, then the men go together, and the females the same later. And of course young children can mix, too.

We took the babies to sauna when they are one to two month old. We do keep them on lower levels than adults. The steam and hot air goes next to the celing, mind.

But we are strange here in Finland. We let our babies sleep outdoors also in the winter time. Even when it is -10 ... -15 degrees cold. Everybody does it and they will get fress air. We do also so when living abroad, which can be tricky with your neighbours calling police or similar!

I hope we will get a decent match today. Up the Boro! 

Site Creator

Team News...

Rogers starts with Azaz, Greenwood and Jones in attack - Hackney and Barlaser in midfield with Clarke and Fry in central defence - a few decent players on the bench with Forss, Coburn and Crooks - plus McNair also back too. Hopefully Howson is being rested as not in the squad but O'Brien is midfield cover. Maybe van den Berg being saved for right-back on Tuesday.

This post was modified 3 months ago by werdermouth

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@forever-dormo Our haggis, neeps & tatties are in the fridge in readiness for Jan 25th. I’ll be making a whisky sauce using Laphroaig.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Martin Bellamy

Liked by 4 people: Forever Dormo, Selwynoz, Malcolm and Original Fat Bob

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Not a great half of football with Rotherham seemingly here for the nil-nil and defending deep and trying to make it a niggly game. Unfortunately, Boro have suffered yet another crucial injury with Hugill's unpunished shove in the back causing Jones to pull his hamstring as he tried to keep his balance - a disaster for Tuesday caused by a Boro lad. Other than that incident there's been few chances created by Boro as they struggle to find a way past the 11-man defence. Let's hope there isn't a lucky cross in the second half from the Millers that ends up in the net.

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

@werdermouth I was a out to type "Don't tempt fate Werder!" , but I am too late. The Millers have already taken the lead.... aarghhhh

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Well all I can say is at least Boro didn't lose but is was a poor performance where Boro didn't turn up for the first 80 minutes and Rotherham had an easy time defending Boro's slow approach play. If only Boro had have shown the same intensity they played with in the last ten minutes then it would have been a different story. Hackney probably had his worst game in a Boro shirt and the others were not much better. The plus point is that Forss has shown again that he is a finisher but probably hasn't got enough tricks or pace to trouble defenders out wide - Jones will be a big miss if he's done his hamstring. Not good enough today I'm afraid. 

A missed opportunity again today when a win would have seen us only a point off the playoff places.  What is it about the Boro that made today’s result entirely predictable?  Drives you mad!! 

Not good enough today but also let down by the officials in my opinion. Had either of the two very reasonable penalty shouts been granted, we’d have scored first and won comfortably.

Still, we needed to do more with our build-up earlier in the game.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Andy R

Just back from the match and the only positives I can see Forss scored and we didn't lose other than that.....

Playing against teams who spoil and defend in depth appears to be our achilies heal.

Was that as bad as sheff Wed away in my opinion it's a close run thing

Powmill-Naemore

I think, with 20:20 hindsight vision, that performance was entirely predictable with a semi-final second leg to be played three days later. Thankful we didn't lose, but worried that Jones might not be fit for the Chelsea game.

We move on and thankfully we have next Saturday off to rest and recover and get into the right frame of mind to mount a serious challenge between then and May.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Powmill-Naemore

Site Creator

@andy-r 

You mean this one 🤬 

Sam Greenwood of Middlesbrough is pulled back by Peter Kioso of Rotherham United

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth 

The only thing that I can think of is that the referee thought that because the player had his back to goal, he was not in a goal, scoring opportunity, and therefore no penalty was awarded!

OFB

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Powmill-Naemore, Malcolm and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@powmillnaemore 

Still not sure why they let Jones continue given the best case scenario was if he was injured then maybe they could treat it before Tuesday - a hamstring tweak is not usually run off. But yes it looked like the players had Tuesday on their mind more than Rotherham.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@original-fat-bob 

He can only have missed it as a shirt pull in any other part of the pitch is normally a yellow card.

Site Creator

@paulinboro 

Given Sheff Wed were bottom at the time then that's 7 points dropped against the bottom team - that may well prove costly come the end of the season - Boro could now have been 5th just 4 points behind Leeds 🙄 

Improved significant offer for "Rogers"

https://twitter.com/Boropolis/status/1748776286829289627?t=1AglJgEk1u5F6mFixQoa8g&s=19

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @werdermouth

@paulinboro 

Given Sheff Wed were bottom at the time then that's 7 points dropped against the bottom team - that may well prove costly come the end of the season - Boro could now have been 5th just 4 points behind Leeds 🙄 

Our home form is 16th and away 5th as always if, buts and maybe's

ReplyQuote

Sums it all up

In our two matches boro have had 35 shots and scored 1 goal

Rotherham 3 shots 2 goals

A pretty poor performance from Boro and the officials. However if we had moved the ball quicker and not played all our possession in front of the opposition, we would have scored first and then it's a different game.  How the pull back was not picked up by the assistant ref I will never know. Can't really criticise Rotherham's park the bus tactics as that will be our plan on Tuesday. UTB 

Philip of Huddersfield

Referees rarely give  a penalty for a crafty shirt pull which causes the opponent to lose balance.  You only have to watch players at corner kicks where much more obvious fouls occur but penalties are not given They much prefer a more blatant and visible foul in the penalty area.

A foul is a foul wherever it occurs and has nothing to do with a goal scoring opportunity - unless the rules have changed.

Today was a missed opportunity - just as the away game was.

Big disappointment that Jones was injured.  If it’s a hamstring injury then next Tuesday is a non starter.   If so, he’ll be a big miss as , in the first leg, he was Boro’s best attacking outlet.

If Boro really want another central defender then Huddersfield have one - scored his 7th goal this season away to Blackburn.

Philip of Huddersfield 

gt

I'd do a loan swap with Blackburn . Crooks for Sam Gallagher we need a striker

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Original Fat Bob, K P in Spain and jarkko

ReplyQuote
jarkko

I hope yesterday was a bad rehearsal before Tuesday. And we got at least a point in the ned.

Perhaps one of the worst performances for a while from Hackney and whole team. Hope we play better on Tuesday. Up the Boro!

Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @jarkko

I hope yesterday was a bad rehearsal before Tuesday. And we got at least a point in the ned.

Perhaps one of the worst performances for a while from Hackney and whole team. Hope we play better on Tuesday. Up the Boro!

in the theatre they always say "Bad dress. Good opening", so let's hope that Saturday's bad dress rehearsal for us portends well for Tuesday night.

Topic starter  

I suppose, when you think about, 4 points from away at Millwall and home to Rotherham is par for the course.

After Tuesday, it feels like our season restarts. 10 days off, time for several injuries to clear up and transfer window is nearly closed. League schedule calms down a bit. We'll either be concentrating on the league or will have a final to look forward to. 

ReplyQuote

Watching the replay this morning I question why Coburn’s winner was ruled out, first Crooks was not in an offside position (Imho) and secondly Crooks did not touch it as it went untouched straight through to Coburn who was definitely not offside when the ball was kicked. I can understand why Darren Bond was sacked from the Premier League.

Come on BORO.

@exmil 

poor officials

i thought that Rotherham goal was offside and that we should have had two clear penalties 

OFB

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob 

Having watched my recording I agree with you OFB plus the last minute goal was not offside at all. Boro were slow and ponderous for most of the game but the officials were infinitely worse, at times they didn't look as if they were paying attention, just guessing. Disappointing but Boro should have worked harder and more intensely earlier in the game and put it beyond reach.

UTB,

John

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@original-fat-bob / @exmil       I thought that the referee had a very poor game. It started when he took no action against Hugill for his push against Jones that caused the injury. That is another one (of at least four now) that has caused a long lay off for the injured Boro player.

On that point, I think that MC should be more vocal of his displeasure of the Official. Could you imagine Warnock or even some of the EPL Managers staying quiet. It is all right being calm and thoughtful, but sometimes you need to let the authorities know that the officiating is just not good enough

Once we lost Jones then our major outlet to breaking down Rotherham was lost. I am not sure at all how effective Forss is, playing on the right. I am not even sure how better he would be, in the number 9 slot?

However the truth was yesterday we were very poor. Slow out from the back, Glover to Fry to Clarke to Fry to Glover and on and on. There were times when Fry just stood there with his foot on the ball, not knowing what to do with it. And of course there was the early mistake from Glover, passing short to HH (I think) who was surrounded by white shirts, lost the ball and Rotherham should maybe have scored.

That was how it went for all the first half. The second was no better and called for an early substitution or two. But as normal, MC waited until the opposition scored before introducing Crooks on 68 for the anonymous Azaz. And then waiting until the 81 minute for Coburn and O'Brien. You just could not make it up. But it did at least wake the team up and the pace of the game. Too late though.

As to the penalties, the Forss one was never a penalty. Greenwood, well we have seen them given. Coburn's goal, well we would all say it was a good goal, but it was not allowed.

So plenty of excuses for only getting one point out of six against the worst team in the division. Well we will certainly have to do better against Sunderland and the remaining games to have even an outside chance of sixth place. And an extra striker would help, and another player if we lose Rodgers.

The future is not looking good.

ReplyQuote

@pedro 

That Ref was sacked by the Premiership as he wasn’t good enough !

OFB

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

We were poor but we still did enough to win. Both offside decisions were close but both were wrong. The pullback on Greenwood was a cast iron penalty. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: