Discussion Forum

Boro v Brum

Boro v Brum

189 Posts
23 Users
990 Likes

@philip-of-huddersfield.  Sadly Phillip only one left, Sir Geoff Hurst.  

RIP Sir Bobby, a true legend of a man and footballer. 😎

ReplyQuote

I will never forget that 'thunderbolt against Mexico(?)in the 1966 World Cup. What a goal. What a gentleman too. What an example he set.

UTB,

John

Topic starter  

I have had a less-than-satisfactory morning with my laptop moving in and out of Wi-Fi. I KNOW I should save posts before pressing send, but....

I shall keep this short and sweet:

1. Three points for the Boro and I am satisfied with that.  The team didn't scale the heights, especially in front of goal, but did create chances and, at the end, created and scored the one that counted. Thank Goodness. Well done Brum's keeper who was probably Man of the Match but we all left the stadium in good spirits and with another Boro clean sheet.

2. England's 50 overs World Cup cricket team was well and truly mauled by South Africa but the Rugby team fell agonsingly one point short to a last gasp penalty scored by South Africa (again!) in the Rugby WC Semi Final.

3. Accepting that the word "great" is massively overused these days, Sir Bobby Charlton was a genuine Great who would have been great in any era of football.  Probably England's greatest ever player (he'd say that Duncan Edwards was greater). A true gentleman who will be missed.

4. Boro will now reassemble at Carrow Road the day after tomorrow for the league game against Norwich City. You wait two weeks for a game and then two come along almost in tandem!  Beacon Hill at 105 metres** (344 feet) is the County Top of Norfolk, admittedly a flat county.  A mere pimple, and no serious climbing gear is required!

** Some say 103 metres but apart from the City of London (the Square Mile not the whole capital city itself) this is the county with the lowest "high Point" in the UK.

This post was modified 6 months ago 3 times by Forever Dormo

Martin Bellamy

Posted by: @john-richardson

I will never forget that 'thunderbolt against Mexico(?)in the 1966 World Cup. What a goal. What a gentleman too. What an example he set.

UTB,

John

Such a shame that he fell out with his brother (and our hero) though. I think it's possible that his private persona was slightly different from his public one. Apparently the fall out was connected to a prickly relationship that his wife had with Cissie (J & B's mother) and some criticism of her by big Jack. There's no doubt both brothers left a huge legacy.

ReplyQuote

I've only seen the highlights of yesterday's game and I realise that they are the best bits, and that the effect of that can be to turn up the red on the rose-tinted spectacles beyond anything that Sam Goldwyn might aspire to, but blummin eck. Some of that was extremely good, very reminiscent of the way that we passed our way around and beyond the opposition last year when we were really in our pomp.

When you read the comments pages from opposition supporters from nearly all of the last few games, it's a repeating pattern. Fans bemoaning what a poor outfit their previously high flying team has become. It's quite a feat to make that many teams look that bad.
It's looking like we've properly overcome our previous reliance on the Ryan Giles trick and become much more multi-dimensional. The strike force is clearly not yet up to Akpom / Archer standards, but if we can keep on finding a way to bundle the ball over the line, that'll do for me.

Two areas of real quality for Boro yesterday.

The midfield pairing of Barlaser and Hackney was the fulcrum of the team dominating the middle of the park, linking attack and defence and trying to play progressively in moving the ball forward throughout the game.

I agree with Werder, Barlaser was also my M-o-M, and I was sorry to see him subbed, though if this keeps him fresh for Norwich I can see the logic of that decision.

The second area of quality was the Jones, Crooks combination, ably backed up by Smith, down our right. 

This was a constant source of danger, most of our chances coming from this area. Jones will come in for some criticism over the quality of his final ball, but I remember that under Wilder his crosses led to so many goals that were either tap-ins or own goals that the problem now may be as much a matter of co-ordination with his team mates than his own individual problem. Nevertheless he had another fine game, as did Crooks, who never stopped running, created the winning goal and was a close M-o-M contender.

These areas of quality had a firm base in a solid keeper and back four, who deservedly recorded their third consecutive clean sheet.

The two problematic performances yesterday were from Greenwood who returned to his pre-Sunderland form, and Coburn who missed two gilt-edged chances which might have settled the game before half-time, and was constantly caught off-side and mistiming his runs.

Again, perhaps less his fault than a co-ordination problem.

I should say that I am a great fan of Josh's.  Indeed, Carrick's decision to over-rule the Plymouth loan may be the most important one he makes all season.

It was a significant recruitment failure that we managed to sign only one striker, Latte Lath, in the Summer window, the third successive Summer in which this issue failed to be resolved.

This would have left us with only one striker for the entire season, a ludicrous situation , so Josh simply had to stay.

Even this is a bare- bones solution. The recruitment of another front-line striker remains, yet again, a top priority this January.

Josh's contribution so far this season, his physical presence, strength on the ball, his running and all round play has been exemplary and a real bonus to the balance of the team and the squad.

And Josh has also been instrumental to a third area of quality, also evident yesterday.

His performances have given us the luxury of being able to bring on Latte Lath for the final half hour, which has allowed us to see the very best of our new striker. His pace and energy, introduced when the opposition is tiring, has added a crucial match- winning dimension to our game, exemplified yesterday when he broke at pace to help set up the winning goal.

It was heartening to see the reception given to Josh when he was substituted yesterday, a tribute to his effort and commitment in a game in which not very much came off for him.

Looking ahead I see no reason why we should not continue to excel in our areas of quality.

Of the back four, both full backs sustained injuries which may keep them out for the next few matches, but Bandura and VDB look like more than adequate replacements.

In attack we have McGree to add further quality to our left midfield.

The main question for me is whether it is fair or reasonable to expect Josh to play three games in eight days for much of the rest of the season given his comparative youth and the amount of physical effort he continues to put in.

In which case, our main problem yesterday, of failing to capitalise on the chances we created, may continue to haunt us for some time to come.

But, this apart, the forecast looks set fair to me.

Four stiff games to come, but we have nothing to fear.

@forever-dormo 

My thoughts the same on the game yesterday but I did think we should have had at least one penalty, a foul on Crooks and a bundle off the ball on Jones. I’ve seen them given!

OFB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

The key number for Boro yesterday was 17 - they had 17 shots against Birmingham and have now scored 17 league goals this season as well as having conceded 17 to give them a total of (yes you've guessed it) 17 points!

jarkko

@werdermouth I think Paddy McNair played weel in defence, too. Wearing the number 17 shirt. Up the Boro!

Well I have been out of the country a fair bit since I last posted and not always found it easy to get on to read and post on here. I am told that I spend too much time “tweeting” by Mrs BBD so I have tried to stay in her good books!

Somewhat  pleased to see that our unbeaten run has continued in my absence and maybe I should stay off here as a lucky charm! I am hoping to get to the match on 11 November so that is when the run will no doubt end.

Our performances had improved no end and maybe the team is starting to gell now and as someone else said, let’s see where we are at the end of October- well 2 points off the playoffs will do me for sure.

Slightly concerned about our finishing yesterday but we are creating opportunities and the law of averages says that we will put enough away in the long run - I would be concerned if we weren’t creating as we were earlier on. 

Anyway onwards and upwards for the next match which May be a bit more of a challenge but who knows………..

Site Creator

@jarkko 

I feel McNair seems to be the key in central defence for Boro as it seems whoever partners him always plays better with him than when they play with anyone else. Fry has looked back to his best since he started playing with McNair and I also seem to recall the Lenihan-McNair partnership last season was responsible for many clean sheets.

Site Creator

@boro-beckys-dad 

Just tell Mrs BBD that you're an X-Tweeter now 😉 

Looking back at some of the earlier previews and subsequent posts about the Boro squad and particularly the new players it is apparent things have changed dramatically!

Either we have become used to them or more likely the new players have responded to the coaching methods and tactics of MC JW and the other staff to be integrated into the style that is required to produce a winning formula.

I must admit I cringe at some of the comments I have made or thought about the new players and they are coming good. Why I even made Crooks MOM yesterday !

I MUST BE GETTING OLD AND SOFT !

OFB

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@original-fat-bob - It happens to us all, OFB.

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob 

Lukas Engel made the Whoscored team of the week. Apparently Ruddy made 10 saves on Saturday, the most by any keeper in the Championship this season.

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@original-fat-bob I think your comments could apply to many of the members of this Forum but, in comparison with the way Boro’s “fans” have reacted on social media, we’ve been much more measured. 
I think there’s a lesson to be learned about having a bit more faith in the professionals employed to do their jobs at the club. 
Our start has almost been a repeat of last season and, whilst we ultimately fell short of promotion, we all enjoyed the journey.

Sad news today as it’s announced former Boro Defender Bill Gates has died today aged 79

OFB

Liked by 4 people: Clive Hurren, K P in Spain, lenmasterman and jarkko

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Actually we have defended better in recent weeks than we did last season.

The shut-out against Brum was Boro’s third in a row, something the team has not previously achieved since Carrick’s arrival.

Up the Boro! 

ReplyQuote

@jarkko 

As a major critic of Jones, I am rapidly becoming a big fan of his. To me he looks as though he has bulked up and is prepared to mix it with the tough defenders you encounter in this league. Combined with his undoubted talent, and scoring ability, and youth, there could be much more to come from him, which could matter later on in the season.   

@original-fat-bob.  Yes that is sad to hear.  

Bill was one of the first I saw playing at Centre Half, when I started attending matches; he took over the position from Dickie Rooks.

Bill’s brother Eric played for Ipswich I believe.

RIP Bill.  😎

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

More sad news, Darnell Fisher has retired at the age of only 29 due to his knee injury sustained whilst playing for us.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/darnell-fisher-preston-north-end-celtic-middlesbrough-rotherham-united-st-johnstone-4381939

😎

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @werdermouth

@boro-beckys-dad 

Just tell Mrs BBD that you're an X-Tweeter now 😉 

very good!

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

Sad news today as it’s announced former Boro Defender Bill Gates has died today aged 79

OFB

Indeed - another victim of dementia and heavy leather footballs back in the past.

He was in the team when I first started watching Boro - I will have a Shoot team photo somewhere from that era - I have a scrapbook that I made with all the match reports from the Gazette for the 1970/71 season (i think) despite leaving down in London! O the keenness of youth.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

More sad news, Darnell Fisher has retired at the age of only 29 due to his knee injury sustained whilst playing for us.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/darnell-fisher-preston-north-end-celtic-middlesbrough-rotherham-united-st-johnstone-4381939

😎

Actually he was injured at home, playing with his kid. And not while playing for Boro 🫣. Up the Boro! 

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

@original-fat-bob  

if my memory serves me right I think he made hid debut as an eighteen year old having to get time off school. He certainly played a lot of games in a short period of time after making his debut and I remember at the time thinking he should have been rested

He was a very intelligent guy and made a profitable career outside of football.

R.I.P.

PHILIP Of Huddersfield 

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Have I missed a starter for tomorrow’s game? Does anyone know if the game is available live from MFC? 

ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy 

The starter was two weeks ago and meandered through mountains and Argentina tango dancing but eventually got back on track.

I think it is on Boro tv but others will let you know 

enjoy !

A HARD GAME FOR TOMORROW EVENING!

👀

OFB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Not sure who is in line for the Norwich preview tomorrow but I'm just heading off to bed as we're up at 4:30am as we head off on our autumn break tomorrow - don't think I'll catch the game unless the hotel surprises me with decent internet 🙂 

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob 

Sorry if I'm getting confused in my codger years, but I thought the mountainous trek was carried out in the foothills and beyond of Boro v Brum. I'm not sure if the peaks of Norwich v Boro have had a base camp set up yet.

ReplyQuote

Yes it’s me forgetting which country I was in !

you’ll have to humour me !

OFB

Liked by Peter Surtees
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share: