Discussion Forum

Boro 2022/23 Season

Boro 2022/23 Season

62 Posts
17 Users
262 Likes
Topic starter  

Just as we were settling into what has been quite a pleasant break from football, the Championship fixtures for 2022/23 have been announced.

Boro will start at 17:30 on Saturday 30th July with a tricky test against West Brom at The Riverside. In fact, it's quite a difficult early run right through August until we finally get a straightforward three points against Sunderland on 3rd September. Indeed, the four games in September look Boro's best in terms of fixture difficulty.

Plenty of squad reshaping to come of course right across the Championship and some cup matches to fit in but in the meantime, below are Boro's Championship fixtures:

July

Saturday, July 30: West Brom (h) - 5.30pm.

August

Saturday, August 6: QPR (a) - 3pm

Saturday, August 13: Sheffield United (h) - 3pm

Tuesday, August 16: Stoke City (a) - 8pm

Saturday, August 20: Reading (a) - 3pm

Saturday, August 27: Swansea (h) - 3pm

September

Saturday, September 3: Sunderland (h) - 3pm

Saturday, September 10: Blackpool (a) - 3pm

Tuesday, September 13: Cardiff City (h) - 7.45pm.

Saturday, September 17: Rotherham (h) - 3pm

October

Saturday, October 1: Coventry City (a) - 3pm

Wednesday, October 5: Birmingham City (h) - 7.45pm

Saturday, October 8: Millwall (a) - 3pm

Saturday, October 15: Blackburn Rovers (h) - 3pm

Wednesday, October 19: Wigan (a) - 7.45pm

Saturday, October 22: Huddersfield Town (h) - 3pm

Saturday, October 29: Preston North End (a) - 3pm

November

Tuesday, November 1: Hull City (a) - 7.45pm

Saturday, November 5: Bristol City (h) - 3pm

Saturday, November 12: Norwich City (a) - 3pm

December

Saturday, December 10: Luton Town (h) - 3pm

Saturday, December 17: Burnley (a) - 3pm

Monday, December 26: Wigan (h) - 3pm

Thursday, December 29: Blackburn (a) - 7.45pm

January

Sunday, January 1: Birmingham City (a) - 3pm

Saturday, January 14: Millwall (h) - 3pm

Saturday, January 21: Sunderland (a) - 3pm

Saturday, January 28: Watford (h) - 3pm

February

Saturday, February 4: Blackpool (h) - 3pm

Saturday, February 11: Cardiff City (a) - 3pm

Wednesday, February 15: Sheffield United (a) - 7.45pm

Saturday, February 18: QPR (h) - 3pm

Saturday, February 25: West Brom (a) - 3pm

March

Saturday, March 4: Reading (h) - 3pm

Saturday, March 11: Swansea City (a) - 3pm

Tuesday, March 14; Stoke City (h) - 7.45pm

Saturday, March 18: Preston North End (h) - 3pm

April

Saturday, April 1: Huddersfield Town (a) - 3pm

Friday, April 7: Burnley (h) - 3pm

Monday, April 10: Bristol City (a) - 3pm

Saturday, April 15: Norwich City (h) - 3pm

Wednesday, April 19: Hull City (h) - 7.45pm

Saturday, April 22: Luton Town (a) - 3pm

Saturday, April 29: Rotherham United (a) - 3pm

May

Saturday, May 6: Coventry City (h) - 3pm

This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Andy R

Thanks Andy. My diary and calendar have been updated.

I was wondering how the World Cup would affect the fixtures and it looks like the gap has been allowed for by having 7 matches in October. Some early season tired legs!

Once again we have a home Boxing Day match and as I don't fancy staying in a hotel over Christmas I will be reduced to following it on Radio Tees and reading about the "best atmosphere of the season" at the Riverside.

My immediate concern is that the rail strikes may be extended into July (and onwards) making it even more of a problem for me to travel over. I will have to study the bus timetables though the 30 July kick off at 5:30 pm should make the journey possible with just the usual Saturday night hotel but 3:00 pm matches would I think mean 2 nights in a hotel which would stretch my finances.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Yes, looks like we're starting a week or two earlier than normal and packing fixtures into October to create a gap for the World Cup.

Will we have any players playing in Qatar of will we simply get a three-week rest?

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Posted by: @andy-r

Yes, looks like we're starting a week or two earlier than normal and packing fixtures into October to create a gap for the World Cup.

Will we have any players playing in Qatar of will we simply get a three-week rest?

McGree will be there. Even Payero.

And hopefully our new goalkeeper and one of the margue signings up-front! Whoever they are.

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 2 years ago by jarkko

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Marque signing even.

Sorry for a spelling mistake earlier. UBT! 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by jarkko

ReplyQuote

Our first loan signing just announced on MFC website, Ryan Giles from Wolves.  

Despite being only 22 he has good experience at Championship level and over 100 EFL appearances.  Has had good spells at Cardiff and Blackburn.

Described as a left footed midfielder, I would  expect him to compete with Marc Bola for game time. 😎

This post was modified 2 years ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/boro-to-host-marseille-in-riverside-friendly

I will look forward to that match UTB.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Jarkko:

A marque is a brand or type and, in the case of cars, particularly high-value cars.  "The Silver Shadow was a classic of the Rolls Royce marque."

A marquee is (in the UK) a large tent, often used in commercial circumstances (many weddings involve a Reception where the guests can eat, drink & dance - in a marquee set up in the garden either of a large home or hotel and, during COVID many hotels with gardens or other space available, set up a marquee so that people could sit socially-distanced and outside when space inside might have meant the pub couldn't seat enough people to make it worthwhile opening) OR for social reasons (for Teesside DA's Temporary Holiday Site at Beadnell Bay in July/August, the Committee has just bought a new marquee which will be available for social occasions which will be useful especially if it is raining).  The Meccano-type exercise which will take place as we work out how to put it together for its first outing, will no doubt be "fun".

This post was modified 2 years ago by Forever Dormo

Liked by Malcolm and jarkko
ReplyQuote

A mark, on the other hand is some sign or evidence that something has happened as in: "Cattermole's first tackle left its mark on Smith's shin."  Or a trade mark.  But bruises on opponents' shins were Cattermole's trade mark...

ReplyQuote

Not convinced  with some of the new players  apart from the goalkeeper. As for CW on about Marque signings, is that about selling season tickets.  Just saying. 😀 😀 

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

In Rugby League, teams are allowed Marquee Players - I suspect Jarrko meant the equivalent in football. 

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

‘Marquee’ meaning top class talent comes from the old travelling show days when circuses or other travelling shows used to perform in big tents - marquees as explained above - and the name of the star attraction  was written on the marquee to attract a crowd. Hence the term ‘marquee talent’ became used for the top stars who would attract a crowd.

utb

Powmill-Naemore

@selwynoz

If I might make do bold  but thay wax a marquee post there.

I like that. I never knew where the term marquee came from. Like so many have said pre iously, it really is s pleasure to read and learn in here. We all bring a little something valuable to the table .

Selwynoz

My pleasure.

ReplyQuote

Powmill-Naemore

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Posted by: @powmillnaemore
Posted by: @exmil

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grant-leadbitter-returns-middlesbrough-coach-24334269

Come on BORO.

Brilliant.

What a great choice. With Leadbitter and Cattermole both working for the MFC Academy, any opponents are taking their life in their hands. It will be interesting to follow the progress of these young lads as they are taught commitment and leadership alongside their football training.

utb

ReplyQuote

Whatever crimes might be laid at the door of Leadbitter and Cattermole, "lack of commitment" on the football pitch would never be amongst them. If they had been soldiers, you'd want them next to you in the trench.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Or on a space ship to the moon! 

Up the Biro! 

ReplyQuote

Northern Echo reporting that Boro are finalising a deal for David McGokdrick who was reportedly at Rockliffe yesterday.

Can’t say I am overwhelmed and I don’t regard DM as a marquee signing! 

Hope he doesn’t turn out to be another signing along the lines of Alan Connolly, signed by CW but failed to impress. 😎

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Original Fat Bob, jarkko and Powmill-Naemore

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

I promised I would let you know and I am really pleased to report that Powmill Junior and his chums completed their Three Peaks Challenge with 12 minutes to spare on Sunday morning. It was touch and go after they had been subjected to a diversion at Tyndrum that cost them an hour on the road, and then 50 mph restrictions over extended lengths on the motorways. But they did it. Pictures show them at the start at the foot of Ben Nevis on Saturday morning; on the summits of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon, then finally striding down the last path off Snowdon on Sunday morning. Mrs Powmill and I are immensely proud of all of them.

They have over £5600 donated on their Just Giving page for PAPYRUS to help prevent young people taking their lives. So a huge thankyou to everyone that has helped them reach that amazing total.

Powmill-Naemore

pics from the hills

ReplyQuote

Middlesbrough agree loan deal for Man City's Zack Steffen

Report appearing in the 90Min that Boro have agreed a season long loan for the 27 year old American keeper.  

The report indicates that he is due a medical today before putting pen to paper.

Steffen joined City in 2019 and, after a loan with Fortuna Dusseldorf, was named the team's backup goalkeeper for the 2020/21 and 2021/22 campaigns. 😎

This post was modified 2 years ago by K P in Spain

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Original Fat Bob, Andy R and jarkko

ReplyQuote
Ken Smith
Mr

I’m back home now after 5 days of scans and tests at James Cook Hospital. Thanks to everyone’s concern but for a fuller blog on my hospitalisation, the translation of Langbaurgh, and my faux pas about Middlesbrough Borough Council I’ve inadvertently posted it under Powmill- Naemore’s blogs about the Three Peaks Challenge if anyone is interested.

Welcome back Ken.  Hope you are feeling ok and no doubt pleased to be home. 😎

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @ken

I’m back home now after 5 days of scans and tests at James Cook Hospital. Thanks to everyone’s concern but for a fuller blog on my hospitalisation, the translation of Langbaurgh, and my faux pas about Middlesbrough Borough Council I’ve inadvertently posted it under Powmill- Naemore’s blogs about the Three Peaks Challenge if anyone is interested.

I replied to you there Ken 😊

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

Middlesbrough agree loan deal for Man City's Zack Steffen

Report appearing in the 90Min that Boro have agreed a season long loan for the 27 year old American keeper.  

The report indicates that he is due a medical today before putting pen to paper.

Steffen joined City in 2019 and, after a loan with Fortuna Dusseldorf, was named the team's backup goalkeeper for the 2020/21 and 2021/22 campaigns. 😎

That appears to be our goalkeeper situation sorted.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Anyone else thinking that perhaps MFC have over played their hand with regards the sale of DS to Spurs?  

I am beginning to feel that they have over priced him and that Spurs could now walk away.  Forest may well step in but I can’t see them paying more than Spurs. 

The delayed sale is no doubt putting a hold on some of CW’s acquisitions, let’s hope he doesn’t miss out as a result. 😎

Liked by Malcolm
ReplyQuote

KP,

I don't think they have, it seems to be the way that the Spurs Chairman 'negotiates' when he's handling the discussions, the desire is obviously to pay as little as possible for any player. Some would call it bullying tactics, others hard-nosed, but for me Boro should just ignore him and if he only wants to pay two thirds of the fee, well, that's his problem. I'd like to see him back at Forest and for Spence to rip them to pieces in the league, twice. Hopefully there are other clubs in the wings watching and waiting.

UTB,

John

This post was modified 2 years ago by John Richardson

Liked by 5 people: Selwynoz, K P in Spain, exmil, jarkko and Martin Bellamy

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

The Spence situation is an odd one. If he’d always played for Forest and there was a rumour that we were signing him, most Boro fans would be delighted. Now we can’t wait to get rid of him, a view I totally understand, but maybe, just maybe, he can be rehabilitated as a Boro player. 

Liked by 4 people: Ken Smith, K P in Spain, John Richardson and jarkko

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: