Discussion Forum

Sunderland v Boro

Sunderland v Boro

188 Posts
23 Users
1027 Likes
Clive Hurren

The news about Lewis O’Brien is terrible. We probably hadn’t seen the best of him yet, despite a couple of good performances at left back. To lose him for up to 3 months is a huge blow, especially in the light of our defensive frailties. I guess it leaves us with Jonny Howson filling the holding midfielder role, unless perhaps Paddy McNair can move forward out of defence, or we can convert Dijksteel into the role? I think both Hackney and Barlaser are much more suited to driving forward and linking the attack. Barlaser played behind Hackney against Cardiff and did alright, but didn’t really face much concerted pressure from those in blue. 

I’m not necessarily averse to Jonny playing this key role: he’s obviously been used to doing it for a couple of seasons, is hugely experienced and by and large, over time, has done a good job protecting our defence. But for all his qualities he’s 34 or 35 now and doesn’t have much pace anymore. Can he play three games in a week as the Championship demands? 

What do you think, playmates? Do we have anyone else who can fill the George Boateng/ Grant Leadbitter role, or do you think Jonny can do it week in, week out? Would it work with Dijksteel or McNair in that role ? 

Martin Bellamy

@clive-hurren Thanks Clive, that’s very kind.

ReplyQuote

Great intro deleriad. Just had a look and the referee is Aussie Jared Gillett. I know Redcar Red always rated him and he is now a premier League regular and also has refereed some games in Europe. His last Boro game was in 20/21 homw win against Sheff Wed. Interestingly going back to Tuesday Who Scored has the Cardiff Centre back as man of the match and he made team of the week. I assume that the game is not available on Borotv.

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

@mw-in-darwin 

He's a very good referee.

The full game is now available on Boro TV as long as you have registered for a digital account.

UTB

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@clive-hurren Me, too (re: Martin's blog).

BTW, how clear the water is when there are not many people (and Tory to pour pollution into) around. We should do better how we treat the nature. Up the Boro! 

ReplyQuote

@selwynoz 

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Top marks Deleriad on a brilliant and entertaining match preview that will now most unlikely have Michael Carrick looking over his shoulder. 

I wouldn't have fancied getting anything from this game ten days ago but now I'd be more surprised if Boro didn't get at least a point. Nevertheless, this will probably be the toughest test of the momentum that Carrick and the team have gathered. At least it's no longer a game that Boro have to win and the pressure will now probably be more on Sunderland.

Indeed, Boro may even cause Mogga to expose his achilles heel, which was sometimes a tendency to overthink tactically - though I can't imagine Carrick will overthink tactically as he's basically stuck to the same plan since he arrived.

I suppose the biggest question is whether he sticks with Coburn or brings in Latte Lath - I would still stick with Coburn as he offers a focal point for Boro and Latte Lath is probably a good option off the bench to use his pace when players are tiring. Not sure I'd stick with Greenwood though as Crooks is in good form at the moment.

Not good news that O'Brien will be out until next year as the midfield is quite thin - Barlaser did well in midweek and it would also be a tough call to drop him for Howson - though given Lenihan already missed two games through sickness then it may well be too soon for Jonny.

The only thing left now is to anticipate hearing those famous Mogga words "it is what it is" after the game and a sure sign that Boro would have taken all the points!

Topic starter  

Posted by: @werdermouth

Indeed, Boro may even cause Mogga to expose his achilles heel, which was sometimes a tendency to overthink tactically - though I can't imagine Carrick will overthink tactically as he's basically stuck to the same plan since he arrived.

Mogga is definitely one of those managers who likes to be flexible and adapt to the opposition. Fine when it works but if it stops working it can be really hard to get back on track because players don't have a default to fall back on. 

I actually think part of Carrick's problem was that he was overthinking things. My theory is that Woodgate is someone who loves to come up with mad ideas, most of which don't work while Carrick is actually pretty conservative. I wouldn't mind betting that Mowbray is someone who Woodgate models himself on as a manager. I think during the summer that Carrick and Woodgate thought they could come up with an exciting new system only to forget that they would have to rebuild half of the team. The success in the last few games seems to have come from going back to basics with a system that they're all comfortable with.

"Illness has befell a number of Middlesbrough players" according to a headline in the Gazette.

I'm not sure whether to be more concerned about a Covid outbreak in the Boro camp or a new low in the literacy levels of Gazette journalists.

This post was modified 7 months ago by lenmasterman

@lenmasterman 

Cliff Mitchell must be turning in his grave

ReplyQuote

@martin-bellamy - Thanks for the link to your camping Blog, which I had seen before but which I happily read again. I always liked the Glawning.  I also went down the rabbit hole and read about your camper van giving an  "out" vote for Brexit. Very lucky to be able to chuck your belongings into the Land Rover and go anyway despite the breakdown, but a bit of a frightener when somebody cut their way through the canvas to steal from inside as you slept!

Is it REALLY so long ago that Absinthe was moved on?

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@deleriad 

I like the sound of Carrick and Woodgate as the good-cop mad-cop duo but I don't know if Carrick changed his tactics that much at the start of season other thinking some of the new signing could be transposed into the players he had lost.

It appears more to me that the tactical change came when he played Coburn as the striker with physicality rather than pace to hold onto the ball and bring others into play. Interestingly, since Josh got his first start against Sheffield Wednesday, Boro are unbeaten in the Championship with a draw and four wins. Probably no coincidence as it has provided the focal point to which other players have worked out how to play around.

Also the return of players who know how the system works in Jones, McGree and Crooks has helped rather than having Silvera, Latte Lath or Greenwood purely expressing their pace in a less-structured individual manner. Unlike Forss too, who when he comes on looks like he's also performing as a team player.

Getting the new signings to become good team members is the next step and there were signs that Engel was given a structure to play under by taking up good wide positions and providing another outlet. His next test is how he copes when faced with pace down the right from the opposition and ensuring he defends without making errors consistently. Another good performance from him on Saturday is needed to reassure everyone that he's turned the corner.

That's why I'd stick with Coburn until I see more of Latte Lath from the bench as while he scored a good goal in midweek thanks to his pace when Cardiff were chasing the game and leaving space to run into - I'm not sure how he provides the focal point early in the game if the opposition defence are not giving him that option.

Site Creator

@lenmasterman 

Looks like the AI journalist algorithm needs a little reprogramming...

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @lenmasterman

"Illness has befell a number of Middlesbrough players" according to a headline in the Gazette.

I'm not sure whether to be more concerned about a Covid outbreak in the Boro camp or a new low in the literacy levels of Gazette journalists.

It couldn’t get much lower! 😎

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

Not even remotely surprised!  *shakes head*

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @clive-hurren

The news about Lewis O’Brien is terrible. We probably hadn’t seen the best of him yet, despite a couple of good performances at left back. To lose him for up to 3 months is a huge blow, especially in the light of our defensive frailties. [...]

Fractured tibia requiring surgery, according to the Echo:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23837584.middlesbrough-injury-illness-update-ahead-sunderland/

🙁

ReplyQuote

@stircrazy - Yes, we and O'Brien could have done without that. Let's hope it will be nearer 2 months out than 3 months.

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @stircrazy

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

Not even remotely surprised!  *shakes head*

I guess that is what they get when they they to write an original piece instead of cutting and pasting from in here 🤔 

ReplyQuote

@powmillnaemore - Harsh, but....

ReplyQuote

Engel of the North

OFB

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

Engel of the North

OFB

brilliant OFB

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Posted by: @forever-dormo

@martin-bellamy - Thanks for the link to your camping Blog, which I had seen before but which I happily read again. I always liked the Glawning.  I also went down the rabbit hole and read about your camper van giving an  "out" vote for Brexit. Very lucky to be able to chuck your belongings into the Land Rover and go anyway despite the breakdown, but a bit of a frightener when somebody cut their way through the canvas to steal from inside as you slept!

Is it REALLY so long ago that Absinthe was moved on?

Funnily enough I almost bought Absinthe back last week, but, for once, I allowed my head to overrule my heart. 

That theft in France certainly made us very uneasy - luckily it was our last night at that site, but we didn’t sleep much that night. It could have been much worse if I’d woken up whilst they were in the accommodation or if they’d taken the car keys as well as Mrs B’s purse. 
The Gendarmerie weren’t in the least bit interested and the site reception weren’t any help either, apart from sending a chap to apply gaffer tape to the hole the thieves had cut. 

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob

Perfect. I'm behind the couch temorre like. But which ale? Smiths crisps or Tudor Crisps? Decisions , decisions and Carrick thinks he has it tough. It might have to be tiger nuts.

A draw for me me.

All the best everyone.

UTB,

John

PS I hope the new boys have been properly briefed about this 'meeting'.

ReplyQuote

So is it a Derby match ?

All the Boro fans think so !

Im going for Eyeballs 👀 In the sky !

OFB

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

This is Boro’s biggest test now they have got their season up and running.

I see the main danger to Boro being the threat of their tricky  wingers who are particularly good one on one.  As a result I feel uneasy about Engel if he’s facing Clarke.   Hopefully , he’ll get cover from the players in front of him.

I hope Carrick resists too many changes  - I’m all for a settled team if they are winning. Difficult choice between Latte and Coburn - I’d settle for the latter and bring Latte on  when Coburn tires.

I would be happy with a draw but my forecast is 0-2 defeat for Boro.

Philip of Huddersfield 

ps I see Clarke completed 90 minutes for the under 21’s tonight. That’s the good news with the bad news of O’ Brien being out for 2-3 months after he’d settled so quickly into the team.

This post was modified 7 months ago 2 times by Philip of Huddersfield

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

So is it a Derby match ?

All the Boro fans think so !

Im going for Eyeballs 👀 In the sky !

OFB

Sunderland tend to look towards Newcastle and we look at both. I never felt the same about Leeds.

I’ll be surprised if these two defences don't leak some goals but I’d take a draw. 2-2.

utb

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@philip-of-huddersfield    I think that may be a 45 / 60? / 90 / 90 for Clarke now.

O’Brien is a major loss. We can only hope that either Engel or Bangura can step up with some level of consistency.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@pedro 

I wouldn't be surprised to see van den Berg back in at left-back for the Sunderland game as Carrick may prioritise ability to defend over getting forward for this game. Also while there's no reports of any new players "befellen" of illness - it's also not been mentioned either Lenihan or Howson are over what they had.

On that basis I'd predict the following team...

Dieng

Smith   Fry   McNair   van den Berg

Hackney   Barlaser

Jones   Crooks   McGree

Coburn

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Team News...

Well big surprise is no McGree in the squad - I guess he's befellen but at least Howson and Lenihan are on the bench. Also van den Berg gets the nod over Smith to probably avoid a red card and Crooks replaces McGree

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

McGree out with a foot injury it seems - hopefully it's not too serious and he'll be fit after the international break - unless he's hoping to be fit for the international break!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7
Share: