Discussion Forum

Southampton v Boro....

Southampton v Boro. Good Friday 15.00

83 Posts
17 Users
353 Likes
Pedro de Espana

Apologies to Clive for my belated acknowledgement of a belter of a Headliner. Many thanks. 

We where in Devon last week, a long drive ☹️, and having been catching up with things before our proposed return to Spain. 

Also just caught up with the previous posts. Noticed that everybody has renewed their ST’s, as I did a couple of weeks ago now. I know of six that will not renew before the cut off date.

When I saw the team news, it was hard to believe our injury record this season and I have to wonder if there is an underlying issue somewhere amongst them all. 

I thought we have not done too bad considering the team and with a tad more luck could have been level. Losing McNair and McGree is hard, especially when the former played both 90 minutes during the week. 
Second half we must improve our loose passing at times, especially Engel. He has had 5/6 opportunities to cross and has fluffed them all. 

ReplyQuote

Jones & ELL both booked in the 50th minute, then:

Let-off for Dieng

Southampton goal ruled out for offside. Sulemana in behind on the right again. His low ball across the face of goal lacks much pace and is close to Dieng. He dives down on it but doesn't hold onto it. Che Adams profits by firing into the net but the offside flag is quickly up to rule it out.

That was in the 54th minute, but he proceeded to redeem himself a minute later:

Boro suddenly under a lot of pressure after their positive start to the half.

After the error moments earlier which didn't go unpunished, Dieng has to make a brilliant save as Adams this time beats the offside trap and has countless time to pick his spot while one on one. Dieng stands tall and makes a big stop.

Very shortly after, an Armstrong shot is blocked by Clarke, but falls kindly to the feet of Adams inside the six-yard box. He reacts well to get it under control but somehow then fires wide.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

First Boro substitution:  Silvera for Greenwood in the 75th minute!

Azaz booked in the 62nd minute, O'Brien in the 70th.

ReplyQuote

Get in 1-1 Latte Lath.  Deserved to get something from the game given the effort put in by a number of players. 😎

ReplyQuote

Sucker punch FOR Boro in the 90th minute:  ELL, assisted by Alex Gilbert, who had been sent on to replace an injured Jones nine minutes earlier.  I'll take that score if it stays that way until full time... 

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Sucker punch FOR Boro in the 90th minute:  ELL, assisted by Alex Gilbert, who had been sent on to replace an injured Jones nine minutes earlier.  I'll take that score if it stays that way until full time... 

ELL now into double figures for the season.  CJ:

In truth, it's a goal that's probably more impactful for Southampton, with Boro now nine points off the top-six. Nevertheless, in far from ideal circumstances given the injuries, that's credible to come and battle for a point.

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren
Topic starter  

@stircrazy 

A sucker punch indeed! I was poised to write that we played some nice stuff going forward but were our usual toothless selves, then suddenly we had a blinding 5 minute spell and scored a belting equaliser, with the assist coming from a very unlikely source: Alex Gilbert! I can honestly say that’s the first contribution he’s made in a Boro shirt. 

I enjoyed the game and thought we defended manfully (though with just a hint of good fortune thanks to Che Adams mislaying his shooting boots!) To restrict Southampton to very few other chances was impressive and encouraging, especially given the side we were forced to field. And overall, I thought a point each was a fair result. Matt Clarke my MOM, with honourable mentions to O’Brien, Ayling, Azaz, Jones, Latte Lath, Dieng, and when he was defending, Engel. 

ReplyQuote

@clive-hurren.  Good summary Clive on the match, performance and stand out players.  

A good, if somewhat meaningless point, with the unbeaten run continuing; what chance we could remain unbeaten until season end…. one can but dream! 🤔😎

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

Disappointed to hear that the tribute to Chris Nicholl, at the game, was organised by the Southampton supporters and not the club. 😎

ReplyQuote

Echo player ratings - Dieng Dom Shaw's MotM:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24221281.middlesbrough-player-ratings-southampton-seny-dieng-stars/

ReplyQuote

@stircrazy No rating for Jones 🤔.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

Didn't know where to put this, but a sobering reflection by FLW on the damage inflicted on Boro by Garry Monk in 2017:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/garry-monk-spell-set-middlesbrough-back-years/

🙁

ReplyQuote

Rumours spreading that McGree and Forss are out for the rest of the season, I don’t know how true they are.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@exmil  According to the Gazette, on the bad news for McGree and Forss, Carrick said: "Riley needs an operation and is out for the season, Marcus is out for the season too, which is desperately unfortunate. It's a big blow for both of them. They've both had a big impact since I've been here when they've been available."

Up the Boro! 

ReplyQuote

@jarkko He did go on to say they will be back for pre season, which is the silver lining.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

I think possibly the way we play does not help with injuries. I also believe we have possibly brought in a couple of injury prone players, combined with our own developed ones.

All teams suffer injuries, we appear to be above the norm, as we did in the past. Remember Crockliffe? 

ReplyQuote

@pedro Would you prefer we reverted to Pulis or Wilder way, at least most, if not all, our project signings are getting experience, which will stand us in good stead for next season.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@pedro Mind, we played most of the last season with the same 11 (or 12, 13) players since Carrick took over. So very few injuries last season but Akpom and Howson did get injured in the run in to the play offs, though.

So I do not see a link with the playing style and the injuries. Nor we can say we bought injury prone players like in the past when we bought older journey men. And some who had a injury record.

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by jarkko

ReplyQuote

Just wanted to say that the result at Southampton was an excellent one.  So against 2 of the leading lights in the Championship (Leicester City and Southampton, both of whom hope/expect promotion this season) Boro's results are W3, D1, L0.  If only we could have done the business against the likes of Rotherham!

But today isn't a day to dwell on less-than-good performances earlier in the season.  Good Friday's result was more than merely "good".  Well done, everybody.  Pity about the injury situation which seems to be like quicksand dragging the team down. I'd like to see how the youngsters can perform, if given a chance. If Hayden Hackney hadn't been given his chance, we'd never have known what he is capable of and he'd probably have moved on by now.

A lot of media have picked up on Matt Clarke blocking a shot with his head while lying on the ground, with boots flying about a couple of yards from our goal line, no wonder he is getting rave reviews.

Come on BORO.

From the back of the couch

A great result, considering the injuries, who we were playing and their need for points to consolidate their position. I hope Leicester City had the good manners to send us a thank you card. I thought we were doomed when they scored so early but 'Oh ye of little faith' springs to mind. As my other half said if we'd gone down to ten men we would have won, a 'Typical Boro' response from a Geordie.

Now on to Sheffield Wednesday a chance for the other 'Typical Boro' to appear on a pitch near you.

Have a great weekend everyone.

UTB,

John

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: