Discussion Forum

Leicester v Boro

Leicester v Boro

127 Posts
24 Users
756 Likes

I asked for a miracle and got one. Carrick masterstroke!

News just in from the Red Sea......

To win 1-2 at Leicester, having beaten City 1-0 at home earlier in the season, makes little sense bearing in mind our league results in recent weeks.  The tactics employed in the two Leicester games were different to those seen from week-to-week, but were certainly successful. 

Betting slips being torn up as we speak...  Incredible result!

Powmill-Naemore
Topic starter  

Da da daaaaaa
Da da daaaaaa
Da da daaaaaa
Da Da
Dum dum derder dum
Da daaaaaaaaaaaaa

The secretary can neither confirm nor deny that the IMF (Impossible Mission Force) was active in Leicester today.

Mission accomplished.
Was it ever really in doubt? 🤔

This post was modified 2 months ago by Powmill-Naemore

Christians escape the Leicester coliseum deservedly victorious. 😎😀 

@peter-surtees - To be fair there is a precedent for it.  But (1) it was a long time ago and (2) there will be video, photographic and plenty of documentary evidence to prove this most recent occurrence of the Parting of the Red Sea.

@k-p-in-spain - I always had Faith (*cough*).

I will keep it short… 

That is why “we” need to back the manager and his staff. Give Carrick the tools and we have a young, tactically aware manager that will only get better…. 

It is also why I love this rollercoaster…

Clive Hurren

@peter-surtees 

We told them, Peter, didn’t we! We said Boro would definitely win at Leicester. Nobody believed us! 😉🤣🤣😉🤣😉🤣

I’m just going to cut myself a huge slice of humble pie……….. 

Site Creator

Since it was a very spring-like day, I made the mistake of agreeing to Mrs Werder's request to go for a walk at 3:30 as I said the game will probably be already over by then. Caught Boro's opener by Azaz and then headed out only to return just after H-T after the the briskest of walks to find Boro 2-0 up.

Well that was a turn up and keeps Boro's season alive and kicking as typical Boro showed its face and a big three points and the double over Leicester. At least it proved my analysis that Boro need to score 2 and concede one goal or fewer to win - what also was evident was the change in tactics made Boro more solid with the back three and also mixing up playing it out and playing balls over the top of their defence.

It does show that Carrick does actually have a Plan B and it proved to be an effective one against Leicester despite missing several key players. Also the players put in a good team performance too and got the rewards for their efforts. Sadly, three of the teams on 48 points now on 51 so no ground gained but Boro live to fight another day.

This post was modified 2 months ago by werdermouth

If anyone still has doubt about the squad and the ability of Micheal Carrick, today should allay those fears, well for a short time anyway. Today’s squad lost Howson and Hackney, also had Forss and Greenwood on the bench before kickoff, yet those much maligned players put in a great shift, getting a great 3 points. Well done MC and the team, I think you might be safe for at least another week.

Come on BORO.

Well there you go, not a result most of us predicted I would expect, except the boss but she is as blinkered as a Geordie when talking about Boro

@exmil.  No doubt about the performance today which was first class in terms of how the team was set up and executed the plan; what we now need to see is some consistency and fewer injuries.

More performances like today will make everyone believers. 😎

That was Boro doing one of the things they do best, rocking the boat for those who perhaps feel they are a pushover(!) and the points are guaranteed for them with nothing for Boro. A massive well done to the team and if there is a Plan B and Plan C can wre use them more often please.

Now how about Plan Consistency please.

Leicester Guaranteed 1 - Boro Inconsistents 2

UTB,

John

Site Creator

@paulinboro 

Are you married to Exmil 😉 

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

Well the “egg all over my face” is a double yoker, into the bargain. 

Not wanting to sound churlish, why hasn’t MC been more pragmatic and used this Plan B more often during the season. I am sure it would of yielded more points. It has been proven when it has been used, but not often enough. 

Posted by: @werdermouth

@paulinboro 

Are you married to Exmil 😉 

Let me go and check 🤫 

Powmill-Naemore
Topic starter  

We haven't heard from OFB for a couple of days. Does anyone know that he is OK?

ReplyQuote

Great defensive performance with pace on the break saw us through. RVDB M-o-M for me (what a player) with O'Brien and Silvera giving their best performances in a Boro shirt.

After the Preston game I thought that we would give Leicester a good game, but that confidence evaporated when I saw the team and that both Hackney and Howson were out injured.

But full praise to all eleven players for an outstanding team display and a special word for McNair, who skippered the side and played as though he had never been away.

A tactical masterclass from Carrick and a famous victory with limited resources

Gazette Ratings

Tom Glover - 7

To the credit of the defenders in front him, Glover didn't have many big saves to make. But he kicked really well and commanded his area well too. One late catch at the end as Leicester pushed for an equaliser showed great character and felt massive at the time. Boro fans celebrated it like a goal

Paddy McNair - 8

Out of action since December, and with so much doubt over his Boro future, you have to hand it to Paddy McNair. To come into the side for a game like this and produce a performance of such calming solidity was a testament to him and the servant he has been to the football club.

Rav van den Berg - 8

The young Dutchman comes ever so close to being a third 9 in these ratings. At the centre of Boro's back three, at the age of just 19, he was rock solid. He produced some superb last-ditch blocks and headers as Leicester peppered the Boro box with crosses from wide areas.

Matt Clarke - 8

Had to manage the game so well after an early yellow card. He made some big headers and important blocks and also carried the ball out of the defence with real authority too.

Luke Ayling - 9

After an early warning when Ayling let Vestergaard escape him at the backpost, Ayling didn't miss a single backpost header for the rest of the game - and there were a lot to be made to protect Boro's lead! He'll surely have a sore head in the morning. As well as his excellent defending throughout - with Mavididi subbed at half-time to his credit - he also led a couple of really positive counters too.

Dan Barlaser - 7

A really solid midfield performance, protecting the Boro defence. I've often questioned his ability to take games by the scruff of the neck but his effort in this one to hassle and win balls back in front of Boro's defence was superb. The nature of Boro's counter allowed him to display his passing range too.

Lewis O'Brien - 9

Not long back from a serious injury, this was a performance of real quality that Boro believed they would be getting when signing him in the summer. His energy throughout was second to none. as well as supporting defensively, he seemed to be at the heart of almost every promising counter-attack Boro went on, including the first goal.

Lukas Engel - 7

Another show of his immense growth in a Boro shirt. He didn't have quite as many backpost headers as Ayling to deal with, and didn't enjoy as many forays forward. But nevertheless, the Dane gave a wholehearted, committed and disciplined display to help his side stay defensively solid.

Finn Azaz - 8

Two in two now for the January signing and he really looks to have settled now. This a wonderful chipped finish from close range, it set Boro on their way to an excellent away win. His quality in possession to get out of intricate situations as Boro hit Leicester on the counter was superb.

Riley McGree - 7

Set up Boro's all-important second in a moment that typified his dogged determination and nuisance-causing performance. His energy both in attack and defence were so important.

Sammy Silvera - 7

An emphatic finish to double Boro's lead, it proved important in the end. He worked his socks off up top, pressing hard and supporting Boro's counters at every possible opportunity.

Substitutions

Sam Greenwood (For Azaz, 68') - 6 - Came on with Leicester really pushing for a way back into the game. He worked hard to help, with his main contributions defensive ones.

Marcus Forss (For Silvera, 78') - N/A

Anfernee Dijlsteel (For McGree, 89') - N/A

ReplyQuote

A very satisfying and highly unexpected win today. Somewhat makes up for the points we should have got in midweek.

By my reckoning, that was fifth time this season that Carrick has changed to a more defensive setup: twice against Leicester, twice against Chelsea and once against Villa. Four of those five have been pretty encouraging, though I’m not sure it would hold up if deployed every week.

The bigger point is that these games show that we don’t have poor defenders, nor should Woodgate be unfairly painted as part of the problem. We can defend pretty well when we focus on it.

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Andy R

Philip of Huddersfield

Oh, the heartache and joy of being a football supporter.
Boro fans ecstatic with a win against the top team with a remarkable home record whilst Boro on a poor run of collecting points.  Boro win  2-1.

Meanwhile, the locals here were losing 0-1 then equalised in injury time to salvage a point only for the opposition, Hull City, to go down the other end and score with virtually the last kick of the game . So Huddersfield lose1-2.

Both supporters will possibly have one thing in common - having a drink or two tonight but for obviously different reasons.

I’ll have to take my comments back about MC who proved he has a plan B.

Just a point of detail- good to see O’Brien in midfield- he’s never been a full back, wing back or winger. His best games have always been in midfield.

Now, where’s the wine ? !!!👍😁

Philip of Huddersfield 

From the Beeb's round-up of today's matches under the headline "Carrick praises 'incredible' Boro":

But arguably the story of the day came in the East Midlands, where Middlesbrough beat leaders Leicester.

Injuries have not been kind to Michael Carrick's Boro [*rolls eyes*] of late and few would have expected them to challenge, let alone defeat, the runaway league leaders on their home ground.  Boro's 2-1 win against the Foxes ended their four-game winless streak and left their manager ruminating on the unpredictability of football.

"It’s a funny old game. So much has gone against us, even this week, things are getting more challenging," Carrick told BBC Radio Tees.  “Time will tell what it means, but we will enjoy it for what it is.  I hope, for the supporters, it makes a big difference. We’ve took [ouch!] a few hits, but the boys have been incredible.”

For Carrick, it was the "spirit" of the team that carried his team to the win despite pressure from their opponents.

"The spirit for me is the overriding thing," Carrick said.  "Tactically [the team] were good. The boys were clinical, we could have had one or two more.  Consistency is key. It was a big win for us today."

Apparently, it was only Leicester's fifth loss of the season so far & Boro has inflicted TWO of them!  🙂

This post was modified 2 months ago by Stircrazy

@powmillnaemore 

I thoroughly enjoyed your headline opening post which is one of the best we’ve had this season.

i too echo your sentiments that the formulae that we have stumbled on by sharing the load of having different writers with differing views and styles has produced a blog like no other.

i also hope that all the contributors will continue into next season and that others may step forward to offer up some contribution.

Lets face it, if I can write one anyone can!

We may be looking for contributions to write the previews for the playoff matches this season !!!!!

Well done again!

OFB

This post was modified 2 months ago by Original Fat Bob

Mea culpa from Eboroacum in Eboracum.

Well done to MC and the team. We (or I, over my last 2 posts) have pointed out deficiencies when we have struggled, so it is only fair to say felicitations in victory.

So less et tu Brute and more Forza Boro from me for the remainder of this season. UTB

Powmill-Naemore
Topic starter  

@original-fat-bob  thank you OFB and glad to see you posting.  I was worried you might have been unwell. Glad to have been a victim of my own paranoia ...

ReplyQuote

@powmillnaemore 

Thanks I’ve been a bit under the weather for a few days but back now !

it just shows I’m always shouting my mouth off on this blog !

OFB

ReplyQuote

@powmillnaemore 

Makes a change from the Boro bum notes we’ve been hearing recently 🎶🎶🎶🎶

ReplyQuote

Great win today and well done Michael Carrick.  Dealt further blows with more injuries during the week but turned out a team with the right attitude, game plan and belief to beat the league leaders and deservedly so. One of the better days to be a Boro fan! 

gt

Fantastic result every player put a shift on. McNair was in the team when we went on that run, so it's strange he's been ignored so often.

I'm wondering if he as one of those crazy contracts where if he plays so many games this season he gets an automatic new contract, a raise and bonus.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I am naturally syndical.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: