Discussion Forum

Leeds v Boro

Leeds v Boro

116 Posts
24 Users
467 Likes

From CJ

Boro issues pile up

McNair potentially injured, Dijksteel and Jones now suspended. Fry, Lenihan and Smith currently out (Fry severity unknown). Are Boro going to have a defence next weekend?

What's frustrating about that red card is it came as Boro were starting to grow in the game. They were building and had been a lot more solid, one easy ball through aside, defensively.

ReplyQuote

Sounds as though Summerville is having a really good game for Leeds and is posing a threat nearly every time he gets the ball.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @pedro

Dijksteel second yellow. Another player less to choose from. 

Just when he'd got his foot back in the door!  Stupid, stupid, stupid!  🙁

ReplyQuote

Silvera on for Crooks & Coburn for ELL in the 72nd minute.  Sllvera has just almost made it 3-3, according to Naz Premji on the Beeb. 

ReplyQuote

Hoping for a cheeky little equaliser from Boro here, with about 5 minutes to go.  But since the score remains 3-2, despite being down to 10 men and all that has happened so far, it IS possible.

And Bamford is due to come on as a Leeds substitute.

ReplyQuote

Alex Gilbert on for Barlaser in the 83rd minute.  A yellow for Rogers at the same time makes it SIX for Boro!  🙁

ReplyQuote

Four minutes of injury time.  I'd love to see Big Josh snatch a last-minute equaliser.

ReplyQuote

Leeds 3-2 Boro (down to 10 men after Dijksteel's 2nd yellow card).  It's over.

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

• So 2-3 wasn’t too bad given Boro were down to 10 men although listening to the commentary  the score flattered Boro.
  • Boro couldn’t hold the Leeds’ wingers - James and Summerville.
  •  Lathe and Barlaser were  praised by the commentator as Boro’s outstanding players. Stupid foul by Crooks
  • The defence is still a major problem 

Philip of Huddersfield 

ReplyQuote

So the rollercoaster ride continues and the defence still remains a major cause for concern not helped by a pile up of injuries and suspensions.

It could have been much worse as Leeds missed numerous chances and Boro rode their luck.

One positive, apart from the top four the other teams above us lost as well so still in touching distance of top six. 😎

ReplyQuote

Dom Shaw's verdict on the match in the Echo:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23964125.leeds-3-2-middlesbrough-damaging-elland-road-defeat-boro/

A dispiriting paragraph in the middle of it:

And it left Carrick with even more problems to contend with. His squad was already stretched because of injuries, but against Ipswich next week he’ll be without Isaiah Jones, who received his fifth booking of the season in the second half at Elland Road, and Anfernee Dijksteel, who got two yellows and was sent off soon after. And to add yet another layer of concern, Paddy McNair was forced off injured in the second half. With Hayden Hackney and Dael Fry missing again here through injury, it’s getting to the stage where Boro have more players unavailable than available.

ReplyQuote

KP, can’t see us getting anywhere near the top six until we have a proper functioning defence which still looks a long way off.  At the moment we are a mid-table team and losing players to bookings and sendings off when the injury situation is already a problem makes things worse.  Hope Carrick has words with in particular Dijksteel and Crooks. 

Pedro de Espana

We played some good football at times, but the defence is still woeful given todays game. Saying that, there are not many, if any, better teams than Leeds going forward. Defensively they also have issues.

Crooks should be fined for his tackle. Dijksteel a little unlucky I thought, after playing quite well. 

Gazette Ratings!!

Seny Dieng - 5

Made some big saves for Boro to keep the scoreline down, but was guilty of giving the ball away cheaply with a sloppy ball out from the back that led to the penalty and third goal.

Anfernee Dijksteel - 4

Let his side down with his second yellow card at a moment in the game they were starting to gain a level of composure and looking capable of getting back into the game.

Rav van den Berg - 5

Really struggled in this one against a pacey Leeds attack. Was helpless in stopping players getting behind or beyond him all afternoon.

Paddy McNair - 4

Only lasted 36 minutes before injury struck. Was part of a defensive unit struggling with Leeds' attack and was beaten in the air by Dan James too easily for the first goal.

Alex Bangura - 5

Struggled to deal with Dan James pace and wasn't given much opportunity to get forward. Sucked in towards the ball for the second goal despite Piroe having three Boro men around him. It left Archie Gray free to cross for Summerville.

Jonny Howson - 5

Improved in the second half and helped Boro have a little more composure in the game but was overran for much of it and really struggled with the pace of the game.

Dan Barlaser - 4

Like Howson, he improved in possession in the second half and got forward well at times. But it left Boro badly overran and open to the counter. His casual ball out from the back ultimately led to the first goal at a time Boro needed composure in possession to ease the pressure.

Isaiah Jones - 6

Caused Leeds plenty of problems with his pace and led many Boro counter attacks. Fifth yellow of the season means he misses the next game against Ipswich through suspension.

Matt Crooks - 5

Worked hard for his side and tried to get involved in Boro's attacks. But this one passed him by somewhat.

Morgan Rogers - 5

Had some bright moments in attack but got caught a couple of times leaving Boro exposed down the left. A few erratic defensive moments could have been costly too, had he connected with rash attempted tackles.

Emmanuel Latte Lath - 7

Couldn't have done much more for his side having bagged two excellent goals and provided plenty of energy and pace in behind an equally-open Leeds defence.

Substitutions

Matt Clarke (For McNair, 36') - 6 - Clumsy in giving the penalty away but it's perhaps understandable he was so rusty so soon after coming on. He grew from that moment though, and was actually really solid in the second half.

Sammy Silvera (For Crooks, 72') - 6 - Lively again from the bench and hit the post with the closest moment Boro had to equalise.

Josh Coburn (For Latte Lath, 72') - 5 - Didn't really manage to get into the game. Pace was hurting Leeds, but that's not Coburn's game and, down to ten men, he was often left isolated.

Lukas Engel (For Bangura, 82') - N/A

Alex Gilbert (For Barlaser, 82') - N/A

ReplyQuote

Michael Carrick was disappointed with Middlesbrough's 3-2 defeat to Leeds United, but took heart in his side's overall performance in the game.

Emmanuel Latte Lath had given Boro an early lead at Elland Road but their defensive problems away from home continued as they conceded twice within two minutes to surrender their lead. And when Matt Clarke gave away a penalty within seconds of coming on in the 37th minute, Boro found themselves 3-1 down and with a mountain to climb on the road again.

Latte Lath did pull one back for his side on the stroke of half time and they looked better after the break before Anfernee Dijsteel was dismissed for a second bookable offence, which ultimately left them with a little too much to do as they fell to a second consecutive away defeat.

READ MORE: Middlesbrough player ratings vs Leeds United with two 4s after poor defensive display

Not too downbeat after, Carrick said: “I’m disappointed. That’s my overriding feeling. But it’s disappointment with the result not with the boys. This is a tough place to come and they’ve got really good individual players for this league and they’re a top, top team.

"We kind of feel we give it as good as we got. We were up against it a bit with boys playing some of their first few games that they’ve played in a while, and it’s a pretty new back four. I thought the boys stuck at it well.

"Yeah, we had issues that will need fixing, conceding goals etc. But in general, I thought there were a lot of good things from it and we’ve let one slip really. We should have got more from the game."

The game was a third consecutive away game for Boro in which they conceded three goals in the game. Carrick conceded after that it is something they have to improve upon, though he refused to just blame his defenders for the defeat.

“The goals we concede are frustrating," Carrick continued. "The first two I think they’re both deflected crosses where he half-blocked both. Defending our box and protecting our goal is something we’ve done really well of late.

"But they are good players at Leeds - good individuals. We're playing against a good team, you have to respect that. They have good individuals who can open you up at certain times. I can't ask much more of the boys. The effort and the quality was really good.

"I can’t really fault our lads, we’ve just maybe given ourselves a bit too much today, especially away from home as we’ve spoken about before. We look dangerous and look like we can score goals. At the other end, it’s not just the defence, it’s a collective thing.

"But I think overall, we’ve played a lot of the top teams in the league and given as good as we’ve got. So there is a big positive there to take forward."

The defeat meant Boro dropped to 12th in the Championship ahead of Bristol City and Norwich City's clash on Sunday. They remain just three points outside the play-offs but host second-placed Ipswich Town at the Riverside next weekend.

ReplyQuote

A disappointing result although there won't be many tougher games this season. Very difficult to compete with parachute payment teams so a sense of perspective required too. 

A bigger concern is our propensity to concede 3; that's 3 shipped in our last 3 away league games along with the injuries and suspensions stretching the squad to the limit. Fingers crossed Hackney and Fry available for selection next Saturday. UTB

Martin Bellamy

I didn’t see the game and I haven’t seen any highlights, but one positive after today’s result is that we started the day 3 points off the play off places, lost, but remain only 3 points off 6th place. Let’s take some heart from that. 

I reckon we're the first away team to score 2 goals at Elland Road since 6 Aug.

Little victories.

ReplyQuote

Well it’s certainly a stupid game this isn’t it?

it’s one of the most ridiculous games I’ve ever seen 

Did I tell you next doors cat likes Xmas?

No why ?

Because he plays with the balls on the Xmas tree!

i think I’ll go down and have a wee and talk to some fans and get some ideas what to talk about during the second half of the game.

Did I tell you it’s my next door neighbours birthday tomorrow? She’s 86 years old, happy birthday Ada !

Thats a good age isn’t it 86 my dog spot is 12 isn’t that 86 ?

Oh look somone has just scored !

Who was it?

I don’t know !

But I do know I’m going out tonight for a few beers …..

Night everyone 

OFB

ReplyQuote

Does that sound familiar ???

ReplyQuote

I prefer Boro3 to 3Boro any time !

OFB

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@malcolm I prefer the player ratings more at Echo. So here:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23964151.leeds-united-vs-middlesbrough-player-ratings---mixed-bag/

I think Dieng was excellent in second half. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren
Topic starter  

What a crazy game.

We scored an outstanding goal, potentially our goal of the season. Then, instantly, we committed two outstandingly bad pieces of defending. Boro failed to stop two crosses that should have been innocuous. McNair and Dijksteel were then both out-jumped by respectively James and Somerville, the two smallest opposition forwards on the pitch.

For much of the game, we were chasing shadows. Boro really struggled with Leeds’ pace, especially when James and Somerville ran at us. They are a superb side and it’s very difficult to get the ball back off them. So it didn’t help that Boro annoyingly kept on giving the ball away. Barlaser and Rogers were among the main culprits, then Dieng got in on the act - one of his many (too, too many!) kamikaze play-it-out-from-the-back passes finally went wrong, straight to a Leeds forward, which resulted in the penalty and the third goal.

I don’t attach blame to Clarke for that lapse. He’d barely had time to warm up when McNair went off. After that mistake, he was a colosssus.

Latte Lath scored 2 fine goals, could have had two more, and generally created havoc. Sadly, it didn’t work when he was replaced by Coburn. I would have kept him on.

Boro worked immensely hard and for much of the second half prevented a rampant Leeds from creating too many chances, but we were unable to create much ourselves, especially after Dijksteel got his marching orders.

In summary, Boro were very good in short patches. We created some good chances and scored 2 good goals, but our defence was a real concern. However, Matt Clarke was a revelation, after his first minute slip-up. Perhaps he will tighten us up? Heaven knows, he needs to.

And as Dormo said, we scored from a corner for the second game running. What is going on?!

On a personal note, it was very disappointing to hear Patrick Bamford get significant stick from the Boro fans, who booed and abused him. He was brilliant for us. It was even worse that many of our unthinking fans again brought up the repulsive Jimmy Saville chants.

Pedro de Espana

@malcolm   Interesting how we all view things and the Boro´s game with Leeds.

The gazette ratings I thought were a little unfair in some cases, probably because of a mistakes made.

Dieng for me was possibly our MotM,apart from one poor clearance , a six. Barlaser, only a four. well he certainly was no worse than the majority of other players and always tried to play a forward pass, again he will make mistakes. Howson made more IMO. A five at least for Barlaser. Dijksteel I thought did OK overall and no worse than many others.

Our overall lack of pace inour defensive areas is a problem and against a team like Leeds with an abundance, well it shows and we got punished, even given our own poor passing at times. 

With the number of injuries we have to important players, we have done rather well considering. lets just hope we can keep in touch with the top six. Ipswich will be a very tough ask for a result.

Site Creator

Well that was a pulsating game yesterday but sadly only caught the first 30 minutes before having to leave the house - anyway, I've just watched the highlights (see link on home page) and it was those small margins again that cost Boro a chance of at least a point.

I thought the penalty was unlucky as it it looks like Matt Clark was using his arm to get back to his feet when the Leeds player fell over it. Also Dijksteel's first yellow was a bit harsh as it was an accidental clip of the heels when Summerville cut inside and for the second yellow he was just a fraction late when going for the ball - neither looked a deliberate foul and it may be down to lack of match fitness. Then there were a couple of misses by Latte Lathe and that post hit by Silvera too.

So all in all plenty of positives but that defeat has come at cost in terms of getting a team out to face Ipswich next week with McNair injured and both Dijksteel and Jones suspended. I suspect Fry is not far off so will probably see van den Berg at right-back again with Matt Clarke and Fry in the middle - though with Engel on the bench yesterday there's the possibility of either him or Bangura playing right-back too. I guess Silvera will replace Jones on the right but Greenwood is also available again.

Of course Boro will still need to cut out the defensive errors if they are to keep in the play-off pack as the games come thick and fast - Barlaser's clearance that led to Leeds first goal was over-ambitious at best that was never really the best option in that situation.

At least Boro looked good moving the ball and played some neat slick football and Latte Lathe was looking sharp and athletic after regaining his starting role - Josh Coburn obviously is still young and learning and his form will dip during the season but he'll be back again. It will also be good to have McGree and Forss back - plus of course Hackney. 

Boro really have to aim to be within striking distance of the top six come January as the fixture schedule calms down and we know if Michael Carrick has the players for a week before a game then he can win the tactical battles - as was shown against Leicester. So as luck would have it - Boro have another free week before they face another top-two side in Ipswich - I fancy Boro will be ready for it!

I've just got my copy of AV's book The Games That Shaped The Boro and I've been dipping in and out.

If we're a bit concerned about a brittle defence undoing some of the work of our hard pressed forwards, the book gives a bit of perspective. I'm afraid to say that I was unaware of the extent of the match fixing problems in the late 50s and early 60s. While Clough and Peacock were scoring for fun, some of our defenders were letting them in for money. For example, Charlton Athletic 6 Middlesbrough 6. Eventually two Boro defenders went to prison and one fled to Canada. Even the sainted Rolando Ugolini was quietly moved on to Wrexham after celebrating on the team bus that his coupon had come up as a result of a goal he had just let in. 

I think the Boro's current defensive problems don't require such drastic action.

FA Cup Boro v Aston Villa 

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren
Topic starter  

@pedro 

Yes, I agree about Dijksteel. From my position, admittedly a long way from this action at the other end, I thought his trip on Somerville was accidental, ‘a clip of the heels’, as you say. In fact I asked my brother if he thought Dijksteel had even touched the Leeds player.

Similarly, I think he was very unlucky to get a red at Rotherham last season. It’s such a shame for him - he’s undoubtedly our best right back. Let’s hope MC continues to play him once his suspension is done. 

From C J

Middlesbrough fell to a second consecutive away defeat on Saturday as their inability to defend away from home was exposed once more.

They conceded three first-half goals to leave themselves with far too much to do at Elland Road, despite taking the lead through Emmanuel Latte Lath in just the third minute. As Boro more than held their own in the game from an attacking point of view, they were ultimately let down defensively.

Latte Lath kept the game alive with another goal on the stroke of half-time, but a red card for Anfernee Dijksteel ultimately saw Boro's chances of an equaliser fade as they lost 3-2. Here are some talking points and conclusions emerging from the defeat at Leeds United.

READ MORE: Middlesbrough style is excellent when executed well but Leeds proves the right balance is needed

Boro lose more than just three points

Losing three points at Elland Road right now is nothing to be ashamed of by any means. While Boro perhaps played into Leeds' hands somewhat from a tactical point of view - leaving themselves far too open to the counter by committing far more than expected to attack - the appreciation of Leeds' quality deserves to be mentioned.

Boro managed to score twice in the game and had plenty more good chances to have taken something from the game. But in conceding three goals they ultimately became the seventh straight team to lose at Elland Road, which in itself encapsulates why there is no shame in losing on Saturday.

Sadly though, Boro lost more than just three points in West Yorkshire. With an injury list already compiling seven players, Boro then lost Paddy McNair to injury on 36 minutes, before second-half yellow cards for Isaiah Jones (fifth of the season) and Anfernee Dijskteel (second of the game) left them both now suspended for next weekend's clash with Ipswich Town at the Riverside.

What kind of defence will Boro have next weekend?

With all the absentees, of particular concern for Boro will be what kind of defence they have available next weekend when second-placed Ipswich visit. Tommy Smith, Darragh Lenihan and now Anfernee Dijksteel will certainly miss out, while the availability of Dael Fry and McNair will be in doubt.

They should have Rav van den Berg and Matt Clarke fit to play at centre-back as they did after McNair's withdrawal at Leeds, and they have three fit left-backs. But right-back is a particular concern now, with Jones - a potential option - now also suspended. Jonny Howson can play there too, but if Hayden Hackney isn't back, who partners Dan Barlaser in midfield?

They have the depth to just about cope but it looks like it will require a lot of moving about. Hayden Coulson is actually right-footed so could be an option. Howson into the back four with Crooks dropped into the midfield is another option, though it would put a lot of expectation on Sammy Silvera and Morgan Rogers who would then presumably have to play.

It's far from ideal, but it's just the moment Boro find themselves in right now. Sam Greenwood will be back too at least.

Context brings reason for positivity

While there is obvious concern after a third consecutive away game that Boro have conceded three in, all of the above context does actually provide a reason for positivity too. What-ifs serve no real purpose and certainly won't change the result. But you have to question how different it might have been had Boro had even some of their absent players available.

As Carrick pointed out after, to have so many players out and still come away from a ground like Elland Road disappointed not to take more from the game speaks volumes about where they're currently at, and perhaps more importantly, what they have to come.

The Boro boss said: "We said before the game about the team that we can nearly put out with the boys that are injured. It would be a good team. We’ve picked another couple of setbacks again today.

"But again, we stick to it and we hit the post and the boys feel we should have had a penalty with Crooksy. So big moments in the game where we could have easily taken something from it. We were right in there. So the boys can take a lot from that moving forward as a group."

Matt Clarke steps up

You had to feel for Matt Clarke. Having played roughly nine minutes of competitive action since having over a year out, he was thrust into such a high-intensity game at Elland Road in just the 36th minute. Within a minute he'd given away a penalty after Seny Dieng was sloppy in playing the ball out.

He looked every bit as rusty as you might expect him to be in clumsily bundling down Joel Piroe on the second attempt just as the Leeds striker got himself into the penalty area. Credit where credit is due, however, Clarke stepped up big time from that moment.

While there was one early second-half moment of danger when Ethan Ampadu threaded a ball straight through the middle of Clarke and Van den Berg for Georginio to run onto, in general, considering they've never played together before, the Boro centre-back pairing managed the second half very well, even after going down to ten men.

Far better than the first half, Clarke did really well in the second half, getting his head on so many Leeds crosses and generally defending Boro's box with his huge presence. A fast-paced Leeds attack didn't seem to faze him as he displayed why he can still have a major role to play in Boro's season.

He has many hurdles to jump, and it's clear he's not quite as sharp as he needs to be overall. But, given the lack of impact, he was able to have after getting injured so soon after signing for Boro, there are real signs that there are signs Clarke could really start to show Boro fans why he was voted Player of the Year at all four of his prior clubs over the five seasons before moving to the Riverside.

ReplyQuote

@clive-hurren 

Belated thanks for your splendid opener, Clive. Very well written in your individual tone of voice, and with very interesting content. A great effort and much appreciated. I'm only sorry that I did not comment earlier. Your piece and the comments which followed did not come up on the website in the usual way, but via a typed page which did not enable me to post a 'like' for your post. Hence my delay. Not sure whether this was the same for everyone or  was down to my digital illiteracy.

Also agreed entirely with your match report which was how I saw it.

This post was modified 5 months ago by lenmasterman

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: