Discussion Forum

Boro v Ipswich

Boro v Ipswich

117 Posts
22 Users
556 Likes
Site Creator

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

@werdermouth.  You may already be aware but Belgium does not have an EFL broadcast partner, so I tend to pick that as my ISP address through my VPN before logging onto Riverside Live.  😎

OK, don't tell Mrs Werder but I'll be settling down to watch on the sofa with a Leffe Blonde on Wednesday evening😉 

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

Many thanks for a fine opener, Deleriad. I think Boro are certainly good enough going forward to trouble Ipswich. It’s obviously at the back where we’re likely to have more problems tomorrow, especially given our injury and suspension issues, allied to our ‘occasional tendency’ 🫣🫣🫣to concede soft goals. I’m looking forward to an entertaining game - I’ll go 2-2. 

Many congratulations, Martin, on the birth of your granddaughter. May she bring you and the family much joy. 

And Dormo: I’m very envious of your whisky cabinet. I’m willing to bet there are more ‘trophies’ in there than in Newcastle United’s silverware drawer!  

ReplyQuote

Re the Hull game I flagged earlier, I also note it is being shown live as the main match on Sky.  😎

ReplyQuote

I have watched Coventry v Birmingham tonight and I am really impressed by Coventry’s Sakamoto, who only cost £1m.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Well the weather has redefined miserable here in West Norfolk, when my midfield and I went for the early morning walk she was a white terrier and by the time we got she was mostly earth coloured, let's hope Boro adapt to the conditions as well.

As always Boro please manage a clean sheet Boro and scoring three yourselves would be good too. It would certainly brighten the day and give our single malt drinkers cause to celebrate rare than commiserate and Werder I hope that is a large bottle of Leffe Blonde that you are going to indulge in, a lovely beer.. I haven't had a whisky for almost two years now, I may have to rectify that at Christmas. I used to do work for Laphroaig so there is some in the sideboard along with some Highland malts plus there is a bottle of Port Ellen bottled in the late seventies that the Boss has hidden away.

Anyway come on Boro and get us all in a celebratory mood.

All the best to everyone.

UTB,

John

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@john-richardson It’s no better up the coast in East Yorkshire - not a day for great football I suspect.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

After a week of snow over here the thaw set in last night and is now a balmy 7 degrees so will get a quick walk in before the game to warm up my aching body after working out with the snow shovel the last few days.

I hope Michael Carrick has some better news on the injury front and has a defence to pick from and hopefully Hackney as well. 

I've got a feeling Boro will be up for this game this afternoon and be playing with intensity from the start - the key will be cutting out those errors - though may be worth mentioning that Boro have kept 4 clean sheets from their last 5 home games.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Team News...

Fry returns to defence with van den Berg likely at right-back and Engel at left-back - still no Hackney but Greenwood comes in for the suspended Jones.

ReplyQuote

It’s 23 degrees today on the Costa Blanca.  😊😎

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@deleriad   Belated thanks for another different Headliner for this afternoon’s game.

One has to feel for MC with the ongoing injuries and continued shooting in the foot by certain members of the squad. How we approach this game going forward maybe the most important part, hopefully taking some pressure off the midfield and the defence.

We really need for the senior players to stop their rather loose passing, yes, Howson, Barlaser and Crooks. Also we need for Greenwood and Rogers to play a bigger part defending the midfield and defence.

I we can do that, we can get a result, if not, then a Ipswich win is certain. We need something to raise the crowds expectations and importantly keep in touch with the top six.

Here in the south of Spain, it is a little cooler than KP’s 23. A balmy 20 with a cloudless sky. But rather nicer than the rain we have had this week. 

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

It’s 23 degrees today on the Costa Blanca.  😊😎

It was 37C in Sydney today. Pretty stifling

UTB

ReplyQuote

Oh no!  The Tractor Boys a goal up after 36 minutes.  🙁

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Oh no!  The Tractor Boys a goal up after 36 minutes.  🙁

CJ:

Harsh on Boro because it's the first real chance they've conceded. Sloppy header in the middle of the park by Rvd Berg sets Ipswich away. Cross from their right is intercepted by Howson, but he can only chest it down to Chaplin, who smacks it sweetly from the edge beyond an unsighted Dieng.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@stircrazy.  It was deflected by Mat Clarke and had he not got a touch it may have been saved by Dieng.

Ipswich looking quicker than us going forward and pressing more effectively. 😎

Liked by jarkko and Pedro de Espana
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Both sides canceling each other out for most of the first half but in truth Ipswich have had to do very little to prevent Boro creating chances as our passing has been pretty poor.

Don't think Boro are set up right as there's no pace out wide and Latte Lath has been given balls better suited to Josh Coburn. Maybe Carrick should actually bring on Josh for Greenwood and put Latte Lath out wide and possibly Silvera too as at the moment it's too easy for Ipswich and Boro have a limited threat.

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Not a great game with both sides too worried about leaving themselves open to counter-attacks. That has led to both sides playing some uncharacteristic long balls out of defence. If that's going to carry on, we need two up front as suggested by @werdermouth

Latte Lath missed a magnificent opportunity to equalise. he had half the goal to aim at and put it wide. He doesn't seem to have confidence in his ability. Rogers is a good player but his first touch can be dodgy. Greenwood very subdued.

We can pull this back but need to attack better.

UTB

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

We really need for the senior players to stop their rather loose passing, yes, Howson, Barlaser and Crooks. Also we need for Greenwood and Rogers to play a bigger part defending the midfield and defence.

OK, yes it is a rather depleted starting team, but we have been so slow, with passing that you would expect in a Sunday league match.

Although there was a deflection for their goal, with Howson gifting the ball to Chaplin, Ipswich have been for the ether side and a yard faster. I am not sure what Maddison is watching, when he says there is not too much between the teams. Listening to him drives me mad.

We need more pace, so Silvera is neede fairly quickly. 

Liked by Malcolm and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Crooks booked in the 51st minute.  How many does that make?

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

0-2.  Thank you and good night! 😎

ReplyQuote

Ipswich makes it 2-0 in the 67th minute courtesy of the sub,sent on 5 minutes earlier.  Time for MC to shuffle the pack a bit?

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Siivera on for Greenwood in the 69th minute...

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Siivera on for Greenwood in the 69th minute...

Bangura on for Engel in the 78th minute.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Boro simply not good enough today - probably only Clarke, van den Berg and Howson were at the required level of performance needed. The team looked disjointed and the passing was poor and the shape didn't work with the players selected - no pace out wide and a game that needed the focal point of Coburn to hold the ball and allow others to get into the game. Surprised it took Carrick so long to realise Greenwood wide-right wasn't working and not sure why Coburn didn't even get on the pitch. Never looked like Boro were really up for this game and they lacked the intensity from the off and ran out of ideas once they crossed the halfway line. Jones will have had his stock rise more than any other player after today.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@stircrazy   The guy has a screw loose.

Liked by K P in Spain and Malcolm
ReplyQuote

CJ's verdict:

Comfortable away win. Boro started quite brightly, but just had no cutting edge in the final third. Ipswich score twice from three shots on target, which highlights the difference between the two sides, not just today, but all season.

And before the start of injury time:

This one has dwindled out to an undramatic conclusion.  Difference between the two sides today has ultimately been in the two boxes. Ipswich score two from three shots on target, while Boro have rally lacked a cutting edge. Not linked well in attack today, with the makeshift nature of the side telling.

ReplyQuote

Coburn should have definitely been brought on. Crooks very poor as many others. Thought Carrick should have introduced more subs as what was on the pitch wasn't working.

ReplyQuote

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@malcolm 

According to those ratings in the Gazette - Howson, van den Berg, Crooks, Rogers and Greenwood were the worse players on the pitch 🤔 

This post was modified 5 months ago by werdermouth

Liked by Malcolm and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Posted by: @werdermouth

@malcolm 

According to those ratings in the Gazette - Howson, van den Berg, Crooks, Rogers and Greenwood were the worse players on the pitch 🤔 

The Echo was less charitable, with only Matt Clarke & ELL warranting a 6 & 4s for RvdB, Barlaser, Engel, Greenwood & Rogers:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23979548.player-ratings-middlesbrough-0-ipswich-town-2-conor-chaplin-star-man/

Liked by 4 people: Clive Hurren, K P in Spain, jarkko and Malcolm

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@stircrazy 

I guess it was a low bar today but didn't think Howson was the worse player and tried to drive the team forward plus thought van den Berg was one of the few putting in an effort during the last 30 minutes as most others looked to have given up.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: