Discussion Forum

Boro v Chelsea: EFL...

Boro v Chelsea: EFL Cup SF 1st-Leg

85 Posts
24 Users
592 Likes

I suppose that it's a measure of the prominence of the Chelsea "brand" & of how big a scalp last night's win represents for Boro that the result of the match has been picked up by a fair number of overseas media.  A glance at News Now's Boro page features reports from Ireland, Australia (obviously because of Tom Glover's presence), the UAE (report & honest player ratings:   https://www.thenationalnews.com/sport/football/2024/01/10/middlesbrough-v-chelsea-player-ratings-jones-8-hackney-7-colwill-4-palmer-5/ ), the US, India & even Brazil!  😀 

@gt - He looks to be a very fine prospect and probably destined to play at centre-back for most of his career, but £100M?  You really are a fan! 

It was a great win, though. It would be nice if we could keep Jones, a fit Latte Lath and Coburn and, most importantly, Hayden Hackney for another season under Michael Carrick and make a really good go of it next season.  Obviously we have seen little of McGree this season but if he were to stay with Greenwood, Crooks and at least one of the two main keepers (despite Glover having slippy hands yesterday), I think we'd be well placed, with a couple of acquisitions in the transfer market, to mount a serious promotion challenge.  But I'd also like to see young Kavanagh given first team game-time.  We'll never know how good his is or can be, if we don't give him an opportunity to show it on the field.

Selwynoz

Good to see that we have at least five recognised first team who are left footed. I’m thinking Clarke, Bangura, Engel, McGree and O’Brien. I’m not sure what Greenwood, Rogers, Latte Lath and others count as their prime foot but it’s good to see so much balance.

UTB

jarkko

@clive-hurren And Gary Parkinson, who celebrated his birthday as a grand father for the first time. UBT!

Posted by: @jarkko

@paulinboro Boro were without 12 senior players at kick-off because of a combination of injury, suspension, international call-ups and the ineligibility rules of the Carabao Cup. By the 20th minute, the number of absentees had risen to 14.

There was hardly any senior players left on the bench!

Unbelievable effort and resut. Enjoy the moment. Up the Boro! 

Jarkko really did enjoy the game, will freely admit I'm a pessimist where the team is concerned, it was good to see team with spirit beat the group of very expensive players thrown together who I suspect thought it was going to be a walk in the park, must be crazy I bought my tickets for away leg on Monday...........

Well we rode our luck last night but I am so proud of the way the team stuck to their task with each and everyone putting in a shift, including the supporters, eventually coming away with a deserved win.

Still the underdogs but a similar performance at the bridge when we might have more options to chose from and you never know what might happen.

I just hope that there is not an adverse reaction to such a battling performance on Saturday but enjoying the moment. 😎

Sadly I had a Trust meeting last night but couldn't avoid finding out the result. Not quite the 'Likely Lads' then! I watched the game this morning and thought Boro did brilliantly, they rode their luck but at times Chelsea did move smartly and I was still nervous despite knowing Stamford Bridge will be a very different game and I hope the two injuries are not too serious. Lath's speed was excellent and is a weapon for sure.

Anyway everything has been said really and I am just enjoying the feeling, and who knows about the next leg? Either way the Villa game then this one shows how Boro can play but did too many people see it? As a footnote in a way after such a team effort it's good to see Isiah Jones playing so well after his troubled year last year. Well done young man. I hope his bond with the club and fans continues to grow.

UTB,

John

Pedro de Espana

What a game and what a result, did any of us honestly believe we would achieve that?

As Clive said, I think we played better against Villa, mainly I believe, because Chelsea pass the ball better. But, hats off to Mr Carrick for having a Pan B (enforced maybe but, well thought out and carried out by the players). It does give us more options for our remaining League games, when we may have to concede possession.

There were a number of MOtM choices, and a different pick from the daily paper reviews. Fry, Barlaser, HH. However, I was more than pleased to see the SKY commentator, Andy Hinchcliffe I think, give it to Jones. I was really pleased with that, he has been unfairly criticised on here occasionally in my view, but last night he was my pick of a "Team Performance"

Once more we suffered injuries, caused by fouls from the opposition. O'Brien not punished, LL, should of been a penalty and Bangura was a push in the back. No yellow cards even.

Latte Lathe, does concern me though. A player with pace to burn, but, is he going to be in and out with hamstring injures and the like. Stuart Ripley comes to mind.

Love all the post match comments..................what a brilliant atmosphere last night with the players and fans fully aligned and pulling in the same direction (unlike our opponents) - it was very emotional and inspirational. Got back at midnight but couldn't sleep as adrenaline was still circulating around my body! Just enjoying the warm afterglow of victory now. Worrying about the 2nd leg or the next league game can wait for now. UTB

Great night, wonderful performance and we achieved exactly what most of us hoped for but feared might be beyond us, given our injuries.

That we won in spite of two more debilitating injuries and not calling on any further subs was something amazing to witness.

We are still in with a puncher's chance.

But for how much longer can we continue to go to the well with the same courageous combination of semi-crocks, exhausted players, and returners who will not be match fit.?

And next up the least hospitable football ground and opponents in the country.

When Bangura limped off last night there was an animated discussion between Carrick and Woodgate.

"What do you think they're saying" I said to Mrs M

"Woodie's saying 'Should I go and get my boots or yours'"

Wouldn't it have been great to be able to call on either of those two in their pomp?

A proper striker of some description is surely now firmly ensconced at the top of the transfer shopping list

I missed the game last night, due to meeting up with my friend at Wetherspoons, Guisborough. Now then, he is not a football fan and seemed agitated that I kept looking at my phone. I didn't tell him why!                                                                                             

I  have been catching up today on reports of the game and videos. Fantastic performance from the team, the fans and of  course MC.

One player I am so happy for is Isaiah Jones. He is one of my favourite players and sometimes has his critics which I think is unfair.

One minute he is expected to get down the wing and get some crosses in, then back in defence to make some crucial tackle's.

So pleased he had a great game last night. 

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by Malcolm

I watched the second half in a somewhat agitated state, feeling that a Chelsea goal was inevitable. It slowly dawned on me that Chelsea were never going to get it together and that our lads' sheer strength of will and superhuman endeavour was wearing the billionaires down.

It was great to see Michael Carrick looking so excited. It's a great testament to him and his coaching team to have to re-arrange to seating plan twice in twenty minutes and to still get a performance like that from the last eleven senior players left with a full set of arms and legs.

Also inspiring to watch all eleven of the survivors not only staying on the pitch for the entire 95 minutes, but standing tall and staying focussed.

It was so good to see the crowd working so hard to keep the noise levels up and to see the players so obviously feeding off that.

It's hard to imagine that it's not much more than a year since Chris Wilder couldn't see any point in giving Hayden Hackney a shot at first team football.

Liverpool 0 Fulham 1 after 20 mins

I'm a socially tolerant fellow, but I never thought I would ever find myself yelling "Come on you Cottagers" in my own living room

Posted by: @lenmasterman

Liverpool 0 Fulham 1 after 20 mins

I'm a socially tolerant fellow, but I never thought I would ever find myself yelling "Come on you Cottagers" in my own living room

But sadly not to be, Len: finished 2-1 to the Reds.

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

I read through a lot of the comments, mainly disillusioned Chelsea fans, on the BBC Sports page. Amazing how there was so much focus that they should have been 3-0 up at half time but for Palmer's profligacy. No mention anywhere that Boro could and should have had two penalties and so Chelsea "should" have been 2 goals down before Palmer had his first opportunity. Could've, should've, didnae for the referee and for Palmer. It says 1-0 on the score sheet and that is all that matters.

Still enjoying our well deserved victory and the manner of it. Great to see supporters of so many other clubs also enjoying that we gave the Blues the blues. It is still a big ask, but we are still at the races.

Tough fixture down near Cold Blow Lane on Saturday to concentrate on now.

ReplyQuote

A lovely story about Jonny Howson & his kids:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24041164.jonny-howson-opens-middlesbroughs-special-chelsea-win/

ReplyQuote

@stircrazy 

I just read it and thought what a lovely fella !

Hopefully Boro can hang onto him when his playing career is over 

OFB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

I was just wondering who was down for the Millwall opener and according to the Match Preview Table it appears to be Clive again - that's certainly sounds like a busy week so hopefully you're not too busy!

Liked by Selwynoz, Malcolm and jarkko
ReplyQuote
jarkko

@werdermouth Well, it will take Clive a few days to get his feet down to the grond again. He certainly have enjoyed the win on Tuesday. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

Received this from a friend on my iPhone, thought it might be of interest from a Newcastle fan.

Come on BORO.

This post was modified 4 months ago by exmil

@malcolm 

I think that Jones, who has been the subject of my remarks since he started his career as a member of the First team, is a player who is visibly improving at a great rate. I believe it is very noticeable, even on a week by week basis. He has by no means finished, and I have foolish hopes that he might achieve serious status in the game.

ReplyQuote

Clive

if you can’t do the Millwall preview please shout out and we’ll press gang someone !

OFB

Liked by Clive Hurren
ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren
Topic starter  

Oooops, sorry everyone. I offered to do the Chelsea game because I thought my next one was Sunland in February. But I’ve just re-checked my schedule and noticed with a degree of horror that I am indeed down to do Millwall! Eeeeeeek! 

I’ll get my act together and will produce something by Friday morning. I can’t guarantee the quality, though! 

Site Creator

@clive-hurren 

I actually remember you mentioning that before volunteering for the Chelsea preview - then was just checking the Match Preview list after lunch and saw you were down again and thought it was a mistake - Never mind, most of us on here are still basking in glow of Tuesday's result - Still, at least you get to add Millwall to your favourite clubs list of Leeds, Chelsea and Sunderland 😉 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: