Discussion Forum

Boro Transfers In a...

Boro Transfers In and Out For Season 23/24

909 Posts
25 Users
3811 Likes
12.2 K Views
jarkko

Finland men's national football team has named 26 players for the European Championship qualifiers in June at home games against Slovenia and San Marino.

I have tried to find out why Markus Forss has been omitted from the squad. My local newpaper wrote this morning that two other regulars from the squad are missing through injury. But they just wrote that Forss was "omitted'". So not injured?

I think he is not injured. But then his absence is strange - Finland does not have too many good strikers. I will talk to my son next - he is working as a goalkeeper coach in futsal for the National Team in here. So he is working for the Finnish FA, too.

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain    At the end of the ST “earl bird” period, MFC had sold 19000 ST’s. Seems an exact number but?

Population of Coventry 2021 census  350,000

Middlesbrough              143,000

Stockton                      180,000

Sunderland                  277,000

Liked by Malcolm and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@pedro.  Interesting population statistics.  I am a Stockton boy born and bred and when growing up always thought of Middlesbrough as the big town and Stockton as the little town! 😎

Liked by Malcolm
ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

@jarkko 

We actually have quite a few in-house goalkeepers who have had some success out on loan. Zach Hemming in particular had a very successful 21/22 in Scotland bit for some reason was then sidelined in 22/23 and we do have others in the U21 squad. We seem to have the ability to odentfy and train keepers to a certain point but then can't quite establish them in the first team. One obvious case is Jason Steele who is heading into Europe with Brighton. He is very good on the ball and Sol Brynn is described as having the same distribution skills. 

Fingers crossed

UTB

Liked by jarkko and Malcolm
ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain. That was before, Ingleby Barwick, Wynyard and the explosion that is  now Yarm. 😊

Liked by Malcolm and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
 gt

@pedro l think Stockton incorporates billingham , going out to Wolviston , etc, and many are Sunderland fans , even Stockton fans are not fully on board , so numbers are not really accurate , Sunderland also have a big following in the old pit villages , father to son etc, we are actually kicking above our norm, back in the day 62 to 74  a 20,000 crowd was big news

ReplyQuote
 gt

I know nothing but there are whispers , Woodgate will get interviews for the Leeds job, 

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

@gt Not heard that one, don't think it will happen as they have been fully taken over with a view to getting straight back up. Plus they will have  loads of money to spend, so may look for a high profile manager.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @gt

I know nothing but there are whispers , Woodgate will get interviews for the Leeds job, 

I think Woodgate will stay, hoping to take over when Carrick eventually moves on and could be successful because he will have had so much more experience as assistant manager, plus his time at Bournemouth. He will have also bought into the new recruitment model with Bauser and Scott etc.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

An interesting article from the Northern Echo on Hayden Hackney:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23578991.making-middlesbroughs-hayden-hackney---told-coaches/

😎

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@Werder, Happy Birthday to your Dad, 85 years young today.

Up the Boro

ReplyQuote

Notice that Millwall have signed Hibs and Scotland Striker Kevin Nisbet.

The 26-year-old spent three years at Hibs and scored 12 goals in 19 Scottish Premiership appearances last season.

Might have been a punt for Boro but after the Strachan era they don't seem to be interested in any Scottish players. 😉 

ReplyQuote
 gt

We all know more than not it's goals for that get you up, ok a tight defence helps ,but we showed last season even if you go down a goal,you have enough ammo to turn it around, Id prefer we spent either in fees or wages on two strikers were pretty competitive everywhere else , Piero Swansea and Archer  , unbelievable, don't care £8m ,for Piero and £4m loan fee Archer, twenty five goals at least there and Akpom with 18 , wed frighten teams.

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Selwynoz, John Richardson and jarkko

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@k-p-in-spain 

I really enjoyed that article on HH and good to see he’s well thought of by his former youth coaches.

One thing that stood out was the support of Hayden’s parents who must have driven thousands of miles to watch him play.

I have seen first hand how parents have supported their children and hoped that they would make it.

Unfortunately a lot don’t and fall by the wayside and have to be picked up and shown that there is a life outside football. Of course a lot of players then find that enjoyment can be gained by playing in non league football and their life is richer for it.

Well done HH a great breakthrough season for you.

OFB 

Liked by 5 people: K P in Spain, Selwynoz, Malcolm, jarkko and lenmasterman

ReplyQuote

Boro’s last preseason friendly is at the Riverside, I’ll be there as well as Hartlepool and York, unfortunately can’t make Rotherham.

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2023/june/12/boro-to-host-auxerre-in/

Come on BORO.

Liked by 4 people: K P in Spain, jarkko, Original Fat Bob and Malcolm

ReplyQuote

It seems Ken hasn’t posted for a while. Does anyone know if he is ok? 😎

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

Hi everyone,

I speak to Ken on a regular basis, we’ve known each other for the best part of 60 years. We worked together at the former Eston Council.
I last spoke to him last week. He is really struggling Eg he has difficulty with holding a spoon, can’t operate his iPad and has fallen over and has difficulty getting up. He has carers come in 3 times a day - morning, lunch and early evening. He can watch tv and is looking forward to the Ashes Tests starting this week.

He said he is waiting for admission to a Hospice - he said for a couple of weeks for respite care before returning home.  In my opinion, he needs more care than 3 times a day.

I don’t think his prostate cancer is giving him problems - he’s had it for about 15 years. Although his consultant has stopped his tablets I think he’s still having treatment - 3 monthly hormone injections. His main problem, which he’s shared with us on this site, is his bowels.

Hope this puts contributors in the picture.

Best wishes to all,

Philip of Huddersfield  

Topic starter  

🚨| We have joined the race for Newcastle United goalkeeper Karl Darlow.

The 32yo impressed in a loan spell at Hull City last season and they are also interested in making that move permanent.

Is Darlow a player you would be interested in signing?🤔

OFB

Liked by Selwynoz and Malcolm
ReplyQuote

@philip-of-huddersfield.  Thanks for the update Philip and I agree that it sounds like he needs more care than three visits a day.  

Please pass on my best wishes and let him know we are all thinking of him.  

Let’s hope the respite care does him some good and the ashes matches give him a boost as well. 😎

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

Thank you KP , I’ll pass on the best wishes of the Diasboronians

philip

ReplyQuote
 gt

Will Boro cash in on one of their stars this off season ? The new Spurs coach is a big fan of Mcgree ,tried desperately to sign him before us,

Which one is more likely to go, Jones, Mcgree , Akpom , Fry. Hackney I ask

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, K P in Spain, jarkko and Original Fat Bob

ReplyQuote

@philip-of-huddersfield

Please give Ken my best wishes, he's a fighter and I pray he keeps on fighting. Your contributions during the yearly tumbleweed season lifted the blog and the spirits of those who read them, Ken has been conspicuous by his absence, so Ken, please keep on fighting as much as you can. My best wishes for relief from your discomfort.

Best wishes and UTB,

John

Pedro de Espana

@gt   It is true and especially at our level, they all have their price.

However, I would be surprised to see HH sold, he still has some way to go to attract a bid we could not refuse from a EPL club.

Akpom maybe, but still a risk even at 10 b 15 mil?

Nobody will make an offer for Fry. Another CB we do need.

Time will tell, I will probably be wrong on all accounts. Darlow is his wages are not too high. 

ReplyQuote
 gt

Interesting circumstance if Wigan go out of business/league do Hartlepool get back in

ReplyQuote

Article in the EG on Hayden Coulson’s time at Aberdeen.  

Doesn’t fill me with much confidence that he has improved or can do a job for us in the Championship.

Based on this information you have to question why his contract was extended.  

I suppose until pre season is over, only then we will know if he fits MC’s requirements or not. 😎

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hayden-coulsons-aberdeen-loan-spell-27080715

ReplyQuote

There is reports of Sporting being in talks with Coventry to buy Gyokeres for £17m (€20m).

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain    The article spells it all out KP. Importantly his injury history is poor. His consistency over the years has been like a yo-yo. Decent going forward, but if we thought Mr Giles was suspect at times, defending, well he is far better than Hayden.

I can understand the contract extension, because at the time he was getting decent reports. MFC probably thought Aberdeen would be interested in signing him. Then Goodwin gets the sack and now we are stuck with him. 

Another loan looks inevitable. 

ReplyQuote
Ken Smith
Mr

Struggling to grip a pen or even a spoon I’m grateful for the concern shown by fellow diasborians. At the moment I’m looking forward to the cricket Ashes series, but am struggling to write this short blog with my left hand. My right hand feels so numb as if I have pins and needles in it. I still read this forum, but  unable to participate anymore.

Ken Smith 

Page 7 / 31
Share: