Discussion Forum

Boro Transfers In a...

Boro Transfers In and Out For Season 23/24

909 Posts
25 Users
3811 Likes
13.3 K Views
Topic starter  

According to TEAMtalk, Boro have entered into advanced talks with SC Cambuur’s Bangura. The 24-year-old can play as a left-back, left wing-back or a left-winger and so will help Boro in several positions up the left flank.

There was previous interest from two other Championship sides, with both Swansea City and Preston North End having held an interest in the player according to journalist Anthony Joseph. However, Boro looked to have edged in front of their division rivals.

A good addition…

His versatility will certainly stand him in good stead when it comes to getting minutes out on the pitch. At left-back, Hayden Coulson has recently picked up an injury and so Lukas Engel is currently their only option in that position. Therefore, Bangura could be useful competition in this position.

Further forwards, he provides more natural width than Riley McGree, who has been rotating with Sammy Silvera on the left wing. Should Bangura arrive at the Riverside he could challenge Silvera on the left, with McGree being given licence to move inside and play through the lines where he thrives.

OFB

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

Middlesbrough are Said to Have Reignited Their Interest & in advanced talks to sign Alex Bangura from SC Cambuur. (TEAMTalk)

OFB

Not just TEAMTalk:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-given-permission-travel-join-middlesbrough-carricks-side-advanced-talks-signing/

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob.  Another left back. Coulson going? 😎

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Clive Hurren, Original Fat Bob and jarkko

ReplyQuote
 gt

Strange things going on ,I'm wondering if a big sell is coming up, either Mcgree or Hackney ,hope not

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

@stircrazy.  Not for me thank you.  The days of lump it up to the big bloke up front are over, thankfully. 😎

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain  he would have to get fit first KP.  🤣 🤣

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Josh Coburn is to stay at Boro just announced 

OFB

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Michael Carrick has confirmed that Josh Coburn will not leave Middlesbrough on loan this summer, with the Boro boss certain the young striker can offer enough for them this term.

Carrick had previously discussed the dilemma he faced this summer around the 20-year-old striker's short-term future as he weighed up whether to keep him on Teesside or send him out on loan for more game time. In the end, Carrick has decided on the former, with Coburn set to remain at the Riverside.

OFB

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Middlesbrough will pay £1m for Alex Bangura.

The left-back is now set for a medical and has agreed four-year deal. (Keith Downie - Sky Sports)

OFB

Liked by 5 people: Malcolm, Selwynoz, Clive Hurren, jarkko and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@original-fat-bob.    Does that mean, the chances of getting in another goal scorer have diminished.

Where does Gilbert fit into all of this? Infront of Corburn, or behind him and possibly off on loan?

Site Creator

I guess if Coburn is staying then the deal for Cannon looks shot - a lot riding on Latte Lath now but hopefully Josh gets more than late cameos to show his worth.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Alex Gilbert is probably behind Coburn and hasn't really got much first-team football to his name in his career - sounds like a project for the future and has a current market value of just £100,000 according to Transfermarkt.

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

It looks as though the new signings have been completed and judging by the decision to keep Coburn I don’t expect a new  ‘ proven ‘ forward to be signed.

We obviously have lots of young players with little Championship experience and so I’m not expecting many successes such as the Giles and Archer standard last season and, as a result, have Nil expectations of a top 6 finish to the season.

I am hoping that O’Brien is a success in midfield  ( as I’ve built him up!) but Barsaler looks to be the odd one out and have less  game time. I’m puzzled by him as I think he has the talent to be a success but we’ve yet to see it.

I also think that Coburn has been messed about a bit and hope that now he’s staying he’ll come good. I fear he may end up most games as an unused sub if the team are doing ok,or, a used sub if the team are struggling.

Still virtually a whole season to look forward to and a win of any kind on Saturday will raise morale enormously. I’d be delighted with my usual wish of  a clean sheet and a disputed winner !!

Philip of Huddersfield 

@philip-of-huddersfield - A league win for Boro?  What will that be like?  I hope I will recognise it.

The lad who sits to my left at the Riverside has decided to go to Madeira to avoid having to go to the stadium for the match. The lad who sits to my right has, I think, renewed his season ticket (no-one else has sat in the seat so I get to park a cheek on two seats which gives me extra room!) but he missed the bulk of last season and hasn't gone yet this season.  It's a lonely life being a Boro supporter!

Pedro de Espana

@werdermouth. I think I read Norwich are interested in Cannon at 7 mil.

A lot of money for somebody yet really proven. But we will see. 

I do think we will struggle to score goals this season, let's just hope the defensive part of the team improves

ReplyQuote
jarkko

I think it is far too early to judge Coburn or Gilbert yet. Both have been injured most of the pre-season and the first matches. I think Coburn's knee injury has made the desision on him difficult for the coaching team.

But boy, we have hired a lot of new players now. I hope we see some quality and not only quantity. It will be interesting to see  how much the coaching team can improve the playing staff.

I look forward to the seison. When we get the players bedded in and when we find our Best eleven, the season can take off.

Up the Boro!

Clive Hurren

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

Josh Coburn is to stay at Boro just announced 

OFB

Woohoo!! Result! 

ReplyQuote

Lot going on. It would be a shame to miss out on Cannon. This time last year, people would have been wary of spending £7m on Archer on the back of a half season loan at Preston North End where he scored 8 goals but look at how that turned out.

It has to be a good thing to be focusing on players with potential to improve. Looking at the main transfers this season, I think that Akpom aside (who is basically not replaceable) I feel we may have done pretty well on replacing last season's main players. Using + for I think the replacement is better, = about the same, - for worse and ? for unsure. 

Steffen - Dieng +

Roberts - Glover =

Giles - Engel =/?

Mowatt - O'Brien +

Ramsey - Rogers/Silvera - (but plenty of room to improve)

Akpom - Greenwood/Rogers -

Muniz - Coburn =

Archer - Lath - (Don't think he's as clinical but offers more defensively)

Others

Bola - Bangura ?

no one - RVDB +

Daniels - Jones ?

I think Carrick has a lot of work to do getting the team to gel and also finding a way to play that doesn't rely on Akpom basically being two players in one. That said, if Carrick can pull them together in reasonably quick order, I feel like we have an outside chance of the playoffs this year.

Pedro de Espana

@deleriad   I think you have been brave in giving your assessments so early in the season. Especially given the results to date and the poor end of last season.

However, for what it is worth.

Dieng does not kick the ball out as good as Steffen.

Engel, forgetting his calamity last week, possibly a better defender, but I cannot see him matching Giles and his crosses. 

O’Brien, if he is as good as Philip says, a replacement finally for Howson?

Bangura. most of his time has been spent in the Dutch second division, apart from last season after promotion. Only to get relegated.
Back up to Engel, I assume. Coulson on loan again if we can interest somebody. But that maybe hard.

RVDB.  Let’s hope he develops into the CB we need.

MC has his work cut out forming a consistent team from the squad. But, maybe he can pull something out of the fire.

Selwynoz

@pedro 

I must take issue with you on Dieng. I think that he is excellent with the ball at his feet.

Other than that, you've missed out Greenwood who at one stage was considered to be a breakthrough EPL player. I'm not sure what has happened to him but we can all hope that someone between him, Rogers, Silvera, Gilbert , McGree, Crooks and others on our books, MC can fashion a link that goes some way towards replacing Akpom.

The big question mark for me is to know who can act as backup to Latte Lath. Coburn is a very different player so is he Plan B?

We could be in for an interesting season.

UTB

Pedro de Espana

@selwynoz    With Dieng, I did not mean “with the ball at his feet”  I am more than happy with that. If you you managed to watch the last two games, it is his LONG kicks to the more forward players that is not as good as Steffen. IMO

Greenwood, I know nothing about, I have to admit. Reports make him more a midfielder than a forward? However as you suggested, may be the goals will come from more players, which would be better. 

Coburn, you are correct is a completely different type to Latte. 

ReplyQuote

Deadline day for transfers and deadline day for me as I hope my flight to Dalaman goes ahead.UTB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@malcolm 

I sent you a mail to check on the match preview

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@werdermouth getting ready for the airport. Thanks.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@malcolm.  Safe travelling and enjoy your time in the sun. 😎

Liked by Malcolm
ReplyQuote
 gt

So Hackney called up England U21 about time, along with Nathan Wood and Aaron Ramsey, that makes him a £40 m player doesn't it?

ReplyQuote

Something to make Boro fans weep  - from the Beeb's text commentary on the Luton-West Ham match:

One for Fantasy fans, only Brighton's Pervis Estupinan (18) has attempted more crosses in open play than Ryan Giles (17) this season in the Premier League.

ReplyQuote

@k-p-in-spain  thanks kp, arrived in Dalyan tonight.

ReplyQuote

@k-p-in-spain thank you

ReplyQuote
Page 30 / 31
Share: