909 Posts
25 Users
3811 Likes
13.5 K Views

@selwynoz.  Same old Aussies always bungling.  😉😂😂😂😂😂😎

Liked by Clive Hurren
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Selwynoz, it's not something I've seen before so hopefully won't happen often but when you click on the quote you should see something like that shown below - just start typing your post on a new line after the [/quote] that closes the quote block.

[quote data-userid="16" data-postid="23001"]

apologies to all re the 'rogue code'. When I hit 'Quote' it does always look a bit strange and I'm not sure where to begin my text.

[/quote]

Start typing your post here...

This post was modified 10 months ago by werdermouth

Liked by Selwynoz and Malcolm
ReplyQuote

Shef Wed v Boro is now a 8pm kickoff on Tuesday 19 Sept as it will be shown live on Sky TV.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Michael Carrick admits he is considering whether another loan move will be the best thing for Josh Coburn this season, after the hot prospect signed a new long-term Middlesbrough contract last week.

Coburn is one of the most exciting prospects at Boro and already has six first-team goals to his name, including that memorable winner against Tottenham in the FA Cup last year. Last season he spent the year at Bristol Rovers in League One where he impressed and scored 10 goals to improve his senior experience.

Returning the summer, the 20-year-old is hoping to impress Carrick and earn his proper first-team breakthrough at the Riverside, expressing as much last week after signing his new four-year contract. But so far this summer, an injury picked up during the training camp in Portugal has meant he's been unable to play any minutes in pre-season.

With Coburn hoping to return to training next week, Boro head coach Carrick admits there will be a 'tough' decision to make on Coburn's short-term future. Depending on what Boro manage to do in the remainder of the transfer window, the decision could be made for the Bedale striker to head out for another loan spell.

READ MORE: Josh Coburn sets out clear personal aim for the season after signing new Middlesbrough contract

Asked if he was considering another loan spell for Coburn, Carrick said: "That's always the balance of making that call. We have to do right certainly for Josh at this stage of his career, but of course, we have to look after the first team as well.

"It's not a straightforward decision. We have to see how that develops, when he gets fit, see what his options are, and what's best for all of us, but especially Josh."

Boro have already added three forwards this summer, with Morgan Rogers playing centre-forward in his two appearances. They still hope to sign a striker before the end of the transfer window, and also have Chuba Akpom, Marcus Forss and Matt Crooks able to play the role too.

While knowing that Coburn will be capable of doing a job for them next season, if they add the striker they're hoping to then the concern is that Coburn won't start regularly enough. With plenty of cover, the dilemma is whether then that Coburn would benefit from being a first-choice elsewhere, with regular game-time benefitting his long-term development.

While Coburn could still leave on loan this summer, Boro have tied down four senior players to contracts before the start of the new season. Tommy Smith and Jonny Howson signed extended deals ahead of being out of contract this summer, while Matt Crooks and Dael Fry have signed new deals since returning for pre-season as they entered the final 12 months of their previous deals.

Carrick said: "It's important. You're building and want consistency through the group - Crooksy, Dael, they're boys who have been a big part of it. Going back to last season with Jonny and Tommy staying around, they're senior boys who know what it's about and know the club so it's important for us to build on that. I'm delighted they're all still part of the group."

Liked by Selwynoz and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

@k-p-in-spain 

it’s interesting. Some Brits in Oz switch allegiance and others - like me - remain 100% England supporters. Thus, I resent your insinuation. My error has nothing to do with being Australian. It was sheer incompetence in the face of modern technology. 

utb

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

@werdermouth 

thankyou

Liked by werdermouth
ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @selwynoz

@k-p-in-spain 

it’s interesting. Some Brits in Oz switch allegiance and others - like me - remain 100% England supporters. Thus, I resent your insinuation. My error has nothing to do with being Australian. It was sheer incompetence in the face of modern technology. 

utb

I'm like you Selwyn. I don't need to be Australian to be incompetent  😉

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @powmillnaemore

Posted by: @selwynoz

@k-p-in-spain 

utb

I'm like you Selwyn. I don't need to be Australian to be incompetent  😉

It seems we are all the same, I was incompetent before I moved to Spain and still am! 😎

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@k-p-in-spain 

I hope you deliberately wrote your reply inside the quote box for added effect 😉 

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

@malcolm 

You missed the end of the link to the piece on Chuba;

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/carrick-chuba-akpom-middlesbrough-future-27372239

Liked by Malcolm and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@powmillnaemore 

I'd just edited it in for him when you posted  🙂 

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Just read this interesting piece in the Grauniad about Belarussian former International midfielder Dmitry Baiduk who put his conscience before his career. He is only 26 and now playing part time for a low tier Polish club and subsidising his income in a wood mill. 

More power to him but I wonder if Boro should have a look at him. I guess he must have some talent, but also that he could be picked up without breaking any budgets and we might benefit having him at the same time as benefitting a man who has put principle before reward.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/22/our-consciences-were-clear-belarus-players-taking-stand-against-a-dictator?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

This post was modified 10 months ago by Powmill-Naemore

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Only two weeks left now to the start of the season and Boro will be facing their toughest test so far this pre-season later today.

This is just a wee reminder about the COTS challenge I posted a couple of weeks ago. Are any of you ready to commit to your predictions for the season yet? For what it is worth I'm not quite ready to do that myself, although I am ready to start recording your entries.

I've copied the link to full details below, but when you are ready to enter I've also copied the format for you to follow to save you having to read the details.

https://diasboro.club/forum/members-lounge/the-diasboro-cots-challenge-2023-24/

1. TOP 6 = Team1, Team2, Team3, Team4, Team5, Team6, Optional1, Optional2, Optional3
  2. BOTTOM 3 = Team1, Team2, Team3, Optional1, Optional2, Optional3
  3. AUTOMATIC PROMOTION = Team1, Team2, Optional1, Optional2
  4. CHAMPIONS = Team1, Optional1
  5. OVER ACHIEVER = Team1, Optional1
  6. UNDER ACHIEVER = Team1, Optional1
  7. BORO = 1st

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

The season is fast approaching and Boro don’t seem to be making any progress in signing first team players.
Perhaps that shouldn’t be a surprise because of Akpom. He holds all the aces. It only seems a matter of time before an offer is made and I’m sure that he will go if he’s offered a lucrative 3 year contract particularly as at 28 it could be his one and only chance to cash in.  
 On the other hand why stay at Boro?   Probably get a contract extension on a higher salary but less than an average Premiership team.  No guarantee of scoring as many goals as last season. No guarantee that the Club will be promoted. No indication that the squad of players will be better- at the moment the squad is weaker.

So, the sooner his position is sorted the better and MC  can get on knowing which attacking players he needs - and how much money he will have to attract new players.

The worst thing for Boro is for an offer to come very near the deadline for signing and, players Boro may have been interested in, have been snapped up and Boro end up with a second or third choice and paying through the nose - supply and demand and all that.

Obviously , this is par for the course for many teams and Boro are no different.

I’d like to say back to the Ashes and looking forward to an England win but I fear that the weather will be the dominant factor.

Philip of Huddersfield 

Liked by 4 people: Clive Hurren, Original Fat Bob, Selwynoz and Malcolm

ReplyQuote

@philip-of-huddersfield.  Don’t worry Phillip, I don’t see Chuba going anywhere.

I don’t think anyone will be prepared to pay north of £10M for a player who is untried at PL level and has had one purple season, during which he scored almost more goals in one season than the rest of his career to date; why pay good money now when you can get him for free next season should you wish to.

I think all the reported interest is paper talk and the same about McNair but what do I know! 

At present, the side is weaker than that which finished last season and unless we can get Archer, Ramsey and Giles back or alternate players of a similar standing then I think we will struggle to challenge for a top six spot.

I don’t believe we can achieve an automatic spot as the teams who were relegated are much stronger than in previous years and I expect two of them will go straight back up.

Still time for the recruitment team to make some good and much needed signings but the clock is ticking.

I agree entirely about the cricket, such a shame if we are denied by the weather as is likely; sadly now paying the price for earlier mistakes. 😎

This post was modified 10 months ago by K P in Spain

Liked by 4 people: Clive Hurren, Original Fat Bob, Selwynoz and Malcolm

ReplyQuote

Latest report on Ryan Giles which needs to be viewed with a great deal of scepticism!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ryan-giles-development-detailed-as-middlesbrough-and-luton-town-continue-to-court-wolves-player/

The report states Giles has not travelled to Portugal with the squad yet I have just watched a Wolves TV video on YouTube showing the squad training in Portugal including Giles!😎

ReplyQuote

EG and NE now reporting that Luton have agreed a fee for Giles who is heading there for talks! ☹️😎

This post was modified 10 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

Boro team news is in!

Starting XI: Dieng, Smith, Lenihan, Fry, Coulson, Hackney, Barlaser, Forss, Crooks, McGree, Rogers

Subs: Glover, J Jones, Collins, Van den Berg, Payero, I Jones, Agyemang, Hoppe, Gilbert, Silvera

ReplyQuote

@k-p-in-spain 

that is sad kp

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @malcolm

Boro team news is in!

Starting XI: Dieng, Smith, Lenihan, Fry, Coulson, Hackney, Barlaser, Forss, Crooks, McGree, Rogers

Subs: Glover, J Jones, Collins, Van den Berg, Payero, I Jones, Agyemang, Hoppe, Gilbert, Silvera

0-1 after 64 minutes.  🙁

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Posted by: @malcolm

Boro team news is in!

0-1 after 64 minutes.  🙁

And that's how it finished - & at the cost of yet another injury (Tommy Smith):

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-injury-blow-real-betis-27375511

ReplyQuote
 gt

I don't know what's going on,but I hope they don't make the mistake with Akpom as they did with Ramirez ,played hard ball when they could have sold him to Leicester for £19 mill ended up getting half that I believe and a player who quit on them, same with any player, if he wants away offer him to Saudi .

The problem now is the squad is very week, some talented young players but a 46 game season will find them out,

Once October hits , we'll struggle, in my opinion, we've got to get moving next week, it's imperative we make a good start.

ReplyQuote

Unless there is some serious signings on the way. I do fear for next season. Giles was a big blow.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Middlesbrough have held talks over a deal for SC Cambuur captain Alex Bangura.

The Sierra Leone international, who can play left back or as a winger, is in the last year of his contract and would be available for around £500,000.

OFB

ReplyQuote

From The Echo

ATTACKING OPTIONS NEED BOOSTING

Rogers has led the line in Boro’s last two friendlies, but the summer signing from Manchester City admits he is “learning on the job” as he has spent most of his career so far playing as either a midfielder or wide-attacker.

“There’s still areas I know I need to improve,” said Rogers, with commendable honesty. “I need to be sharper in front of goal if I want to stay in this team and play in this team. We ultimately need to score goals. In the last couple of games, I’ve had chances that I know I should have scored – and I will come the start of the actual season.”

As things stand, Rogers will probably have to start up front in the opening game, unless Carrick opts to start with Matt Crooks as his number nine. Alex Gilbert played the final nine minutes of Saturday’s game, but looks raw following his summer move from Brentford B.

Boro might well be waiting for the Premier League attacking loan options to become clear, and would be understandably keen on a return for Cameron Archer if Aston Villa were to decide the youngster needed another loan move. For now, though, the cupboard looks worryingly bare.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@malcolm   Certainly is a concern.

For MC to say previously, at the end of last season, that Akpom had picked up a “knock” during the last play off game, and now some two months on there is talk of Rogers leading the line and no sign of the former?

Something just does not ring true. We know that all players have their price, are MFC, just waiting for the to be offered?

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

It's looking very uncertain. It looks as if the only one of last year's loanees who might be available will be Ramsey and he's the one who we dont need. We have bought Silvera, Gilbert and others and, logically, should be giving them a shot along with Jones, Hoppe, Forss etc.

I sense that our best chance is to find another 'Archer' in the top end of the Premier League; a young player who is a genuine number 9 and needs a season at a high level Championship club. Any suggestions, anyone? We do have Coburn and other up and coming youngsters but even if Coburn gets fit and starts the season really well, it would be too big a risk to rely on them other than as backup.

Akpom is the other big question mark. It may well be that last year was a once in a lifetime thing and it may not happen again. If he's going to go, then let's get our Pds15 million or so quickly and spend it on top class goalscorers. I sense that we might have a number of players in the squad who Carrick can turn into a quality replacement number 10.

UTB

jarkko

I have been on holiday for three weeks and back now. I have been able to read the posts in here but I have had no time write.

Also, I was listening to BBC Radio Tees and the match commentary while driving on Saturday. We seemed to play well for the first 45 min but then lost the game in the second half.

I hope we can still keep Chuba - he must remember how happy he was while playing for Michael Carrick and the Boro. After a few unhappy seasons, I would like to think he needs a proper manager to help his career flourish like it did last season. Under Warnock or Winder, he was cast aside!

Boro naturally needs a left back and a number nine next - even we could keep Chuba. So let's hope there will be two arrivals (and then possibly Hoppe or Coburn leaving on loan). Let's see - in Carrick we must trust.

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
Page 20 / 31
Share: