Discussion Forum

Boro Transfers In a...

Boro Transfers In and Out For Season 23/24

909 Posts
25 Users
3811 Likes
13.3 K Views

@philip-of-huddersfield.  I see this in the same way as Andy.  

The club are effectively discounting future income by having to pay interest on the loan for the privilege of receiving the income now rather than over the next three years; the loan funds received now will hopefully will be available to use toward player recruitment and not for day to day expenses as it has been generated from player sales.

If, however, it is to cover day to day running costs then the club has serious financial problems and we can forget about buying players. 😎

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Selwynoz, Original Fat Bob and Andy R

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

Ok Andy , I see the point about cash flow but I’d be happier if Boro had spare money to spend now without having to rely on the loan. Perhaps many clubs are in a similar position.

Meanwhile , I don’t expect a lot of transfer activity in the near future until eg Premiership teams decide which players can go out on loan which will be influenced by incoming players. I’m hoping that Coventry’s top forward doesn’t go abroad as if he does  then it will bring more attention of Premiership teams looking at Akpom.

MC has a real dilemma- does he line up a new forward in the expectation that Akpom will go to a Premiership team. Akpom would be ill advised not to go cos there’s no guarantee that he will score a similar number of goals next season as last season. Also Boro may not have the same attacking flair next season if eg Archer and Ramsey don’t return.

Time will tell and so back to the cricket.

Philip of Huddersfield 

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Original Fat Bob, jarkko and Andy R

ReplyQuote

Leicester spending big.                                        Leicester City: Foxes sign Wolves' Conor Coady & Tottenham's Harry Winks on three-year deals - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66076049.app?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

ReplyQuote

@k-p-in-spain worried about what's going to happen.  Not looking good at the moment.

ReplyQuote

@malcolm.  I agree that it is a bit unsettling/frustrating that we are still waiting for incomings for the first team but I am sure they are working to a plan.

The delay I suspect is down to the fact they are waiting on decisions from PL sides on the likes of Giles, Ramsey and Archer.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see the arrival of a goalkeeper this week.

The EG piece on loan funds being raised to my mind indicates that things are happening behind the scenes on the recruitment front.

We just have to be patient a bit longer and hope that things fall into place in the fullness of time, which may in some cases be close to the end of the window. 😎

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Original Fat Bob, Andy R and Malcolm

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain   I think they have just splashed out 600K on a young forward from Brentford?

ReplyQuote

@pedro.  Alex Gilbert?  

Not seen any confirmation of the deal and if so he probably isn’t ready for the first team yet; another for the future?

There again see below: 😎

This post was modified 11 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

Just picked this up on Sky Transfer Centre:

“Middlesbrough to sign Dutch U20 international Van den Berg

Middlesbrough are set to sign Holland U20 international Rav van den Berg – brother of Liverpool defender Sepp van den Berg – in what could be seen as a coup for the club.

The Championship side have agreed a deal with his current club PEC Zwolle in the Eredivisie and he is expected to travel to Teesside early next for a medical.

According to sources in the Netherlands, Boro have beaten off competition from a string of top clubs for the 18-year-old’s signature. He is understood to have been watched by Borussia Dortmund and AC Milan last season.

Brentford were interested in signing him initially for their B team while he has also been linked with Liverpool, given his brother’s status there, and Roma in Italy.

Instead, he has opted to join Boro with the hope of breaking straight into the first-team and develop under Michael Carrick.

After making the play-offs last season, Boro are looking to push on again next season and gain promotion to the Premier League”. 😎

This post was modified 11 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

It's always a temptation to draw too large a conclusion from limited facts but it does appear as if MFC is moving in a new directon that genuinely could deliver long term football and economic benefits. On the one hand, like most clubs, we are looking at established players who could step into the first team or provide realistic cover. Players such as Darlow, Barlaser or Mowatt. That appears to be being done in a practical sensible manner.

On the other side, we are bringing in quite a lot of players who could be potential stars and yet we are managing to acquire them at an early enough point in their careers to give the club a real shot at making significant profits. In the past, we haven't really succeeded in doing this. This is exactly the kind of signing that we would expect Brighton or Brentford to pull off ..... or even Chelsea or Man City. This acquisition of a genuinely exciting young European defender is fascinating.

The third leg is the Academy which seems to be on the verge of delivering a real dividend to the club. We already have the money realised from Tavernier and Spence and players such as Jones, Coburn, Brynn or Hackney appera to be quality first Championship players (or better) which either means that we realise a big fee or avoid having to spend one.

I assume that we are still losing money and, therefore, reliant on Seve Gibson but there is a sense that there might be a viable future.

UTB

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

We appear to be about to sign a Brentford B team player: Alex Gilbert. https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/middlesbrough-strike-deal-to-beat-nottingham-forest-and-wolves-to-21-year-old/

Primarily a left winger but can play central. Rather than go to a tribunal (seeing as he's 21) we seem to have agreed a transfer fee.

with 9 subs next season it looks like he's one for the bench, at least initially. 

Brentford fans seem to rate him but think he's never going to make the first team.

This post was modified 10 months ago by deleriad

ReplyQuote

@selwynoz 

This also seems to be what is happening up the road at Sunderland. They have signed four young players from Europe and have played for big clubs B teams, PSV and Benfica. Our new centre back , 6 foot 3 apparently, has more first team experience although in the Dutch Second Division .

ReplyQuote

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Mada Anderson from Barnsley, just seen he has signed for Luton.

ReplyQuote

Sunderland seem to have done some good business. With Tony Mowbray at the helm, could be tough games with them 😮 I reckon the championship will be a lot tougher than last year. Will boro make the top two, at this moment I would say no but of course there will be hopefully a few new players and loans to come in yet and then we will have a better idea. As they say, it's all to play for. Utb

This post was modified 10 months ago by Malcolm

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @mw-in-darwin

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Mada Anderson from Barnsley, just seen he has signed for Luton.

That was probably me. I would have happily had him alongside Lenihan but it is clearly not meant to be. 

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @malcolm

Sunderland seem to have done some good business. With Tony Mowbray at the helm, could be tough games with them 😮 I reckon the championship will be a lot tougher than last year. Will boro make the top two, at this moment I would say no but of course there will be hopefully a few new players and loans to come in yet and then we will have a better idea. As they say, it's all to play for. Utb

Unlike you to be pessimistic Malcolm 😂😂😂

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

@exmil thanks ex mill ..you are right 😆

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

According to The Club’s Website, Both Chuba Akpom & Matthew Hoppe have Stayed In The UK During Boro’s Current Pre-Season Week-Long Training Camp in Portugal to Get Treatment for Minor Injuries.

Liked by Malcolm and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
 gt

We seem to be signing a bunch of wingers  , does anyone know if this Aussie guy is predominantly right footed or left, and were does this leave Jones , There's really no info on the new young players , or are they just for the future . By the way this Sammy's mother lives in London , so should settle .

Seems there's a plan going on three to five years to build, promotion last season might have come to early , the team would have struggled, and we don't have the kind of money you need to sign the type of player you need, I think coaching up these young players is what they intend doing

ReplyQuote

MFC website confirming the signing of Alex Gilbert (age 21) on a four year contract.  

He has flown to Portugal to join the rest of the squad. 😎

This post was modified 10 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Arsenal have apparently valued Folarin Balogun at £50m ! 

Did Wilder not spot any potential?

OFB

ReplyQuote

OFB,

I think you may well have answered your own question!

UTB,

John

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Malcolm, Powmill-Naemore and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/middlesbrough-in-talks-with-qpr-for-double-transfer-deal/

Reported on a couple of sites.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

@k-p-in-spain If all the rumours are correct it looks like we are going to have a plethora of different goalkeepers at the club....!

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Selwynoz, Original Fat Bob and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

@powmillnaemore.  Perhaps if we sign them all and play them all we might concede a few less goals! 😂😎

ReplyQuote

I like the QPR player rumours. Dieng has long been one of the division's better keepers and Willock I think is comparable to McGree.

I'd add Ilias Chair to that list too - another technical attacking midfield player who seems to fit the Carrick mould nicely.

This post was modified 10 months ago by Andy R

ReplyQuote

@andy-r.  Andy, it sounds as if the Willcock rumour is just a rumour and supposedly MFC are not interested.  Dieng may be the same given the rumour regarding the Aussie keeper who is a free agent. 😎

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Selwynoz, Original Fat Bob and Powmill-Naemore

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 31
Share: