Discussion Forum

Boro 2021/2022 Tran...

Boro 2021/2022 Transfer Targets & Rumours

288 Posts
23 Users
843 Likes
Topic starter  

I always think that if any club signs a young player from overseas it’s best to sign two together as they can team up and help each other settle in.

Remember Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa  who were the first South American’s to come to Spurs. They were a great pairing and perhaps Boro should do the same.

OFB

Liked by Ken Smith and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob

Didn't quite catch that, OFB - was that a nudge and a wink?

ReplyQuote

@andy-r

Thanks for the link, Andy.  I personally don't give much credence to these kind of stats, which have been responsible for some terrible buys in the past, and not only at the Boro. 

What I couldn't help but notice, however, that seems to escaped the number crunchers, is that Payero, from the evidence of the video clips, seems to be entirely right- footed.  He looks pacy and direct, but given this obvious limitation and the fact that no one from the club has actually seen him play, this would make him a very risky signing if we are talking millions.  Leo's credentials for spotting South American talent seem dubious to me. It seems to be based entirely on second -hand contacts and the fact that, as AV said a few years ago, he watches the Argentine equivalent of Match of the Day every week.  The la Pena debacle should give us ample grounds for caution

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Middlesbrough lead Blackburn Rovers in the race to sign Pelly Ruddock after his Luton Town exit

OFB

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Beşiktaş have started negotiations with Middlesbrough for Chuba Akpom. Boro are hoping to recoup the whole £3m fee they paid for the striker last summer.

OFB

Liked by jarkko and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Ken Smith
Mr

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

I always think that if any club signs a young player from overseas it’s best to sign two together as they can team up and help each other settle in.

Remember Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa  who were the first South American’s to come to Spurs. They were a great pairing and perhaps Boro should do the same.

OFB

I quite agree with you. I don’t know whether you remember the Robledo brothers from Chile who played for Barnsley in the early 50s and even lived together. Newcastle wanted to sign Ted but neither he nor his brother George would move without the other, so the Magpies had to buy both of them. They both played in the 1952 Cup Final team that beat Arsenal 1-0.
That was the start of the glory years for Newcastle as they won the Cup three times in five years. Funny how things like that stick in my memory.

ReplyQuote
Ken Smith
Mr

Well today’s the day for England. Some lovely memories and tributes from ex-Boro players on the Gazette website about Gareth Southgate. In my opinion Steve Gibson was too hasty in sacking him. Obviously a true gentleman, but also a great motivator. As I mentioned before nobody remembers runners-up in major sports events be it football, rugby, cricket or golf. Certainly the Americans or Australians don’t, must win at all costs, but this England football group play like brothers and like a club side. Will England beat Italy I don’t know, but a knighthood for Gareth arguably hangs on today’s match. Come on England, you not only owe it to yourselves and the fans, but to Gareth as well, who despite being a southerner can be classed as one of our own.

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob. A search on social media indicates they were looking to buy him last year before we intervened.  

It will be good if we can recoup all of the fee we paid for him. Just don't work out the cost of his salary etc against goals scored/made! 😎

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-boboriginal-fat-bobthe queue to drive him there will be long

ReplyQuote
jarkko

The new away kit will be launched for the first time on Wednesday when Boro kick-off pre-season at Bishop Auckland. So something to look forward to. Or is there a match on TV tonight?

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @jarkko

The new away kit will be launched for the first time on Wednesday when Boro kick-off pre-season at Bishop Auckland. So something to look forward to. Or is there a match on TV tonight?

Up the Boro!

Early leaks would indicate that it is a dull as ditchwater, unassuming shade of beer bottle green. 

ReplyQuote

@redcarred

It's strange but true that our club cannot even organise a decent strip. Season after Season we are treated to some horror with mismatched and uncoordinated colours, weird combinations of arms, chests, shorts and so forth. I believe they are the victims of wannabe designers. Instead of looking at a hundred Good kits and stealing the best, ordering a set from the makers and job done.     

ReplyQuote

@jarkko

If that's it there's more than a passing resemblance to a Prison Sweatshirt. Nothing to commend it at all.

UTB,

John

ReplyQuote

For those who are perhaps wondering what we are talking about here is the link:

https://www.thekitman.co.uk/middlesbrough-away-shirt-2021-22-leaked/

Looking at it again it does look a bit suspect and the focus on the camera is not the best, perhaps intentionally?

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@redcarred

I'm just slowly catching up on all things Boro after the summer break and was looking at the photo of the away kit and noticed the badge was pretty washed out, plus it was described as being gold and white rather than red. Anyway, decided to look at the leaked pic in photoshop and it appears to be lacking magenta and has too much green in it. The photo is not that great but after a few colour adjustments this is what it may actually be closer to looking like - so my guess is that it will probably be dark blue and not green.

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth that looks far more likely but the Boro badge just doesn't look natural and almost as if it had been cut out and stuck on with a Pritt Stick.

If it is real then I guess black chevrons, black shorts and blue socks with black tops could be feasible albeit a little underwhelming.

ReplyQuote
Ken Smith
Mr

Will Martin Payero be the next Carlos Marineiii who of course turned out to be the next Diego Maradona? No thanks from me.

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

@redcarred. Not another midfield player, how many do we need! 😎 😉 

This post was modified 3 years ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@john-richardson

may I ask you John how you know what a prison sweatshirt looks like?

OFB

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob. John is obviously a big fan of cell block H etc! 😎😂

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@redcarred

Yes the badge does look a bit fake - especially if you consider last year the away kit had just a white silhouette crest. I guess we'll discover its true identity soon but I don't think it will end up being a dodgy green one - though maybe our strikers could benefit from a camouflage shirt to sneak up on opposition goal before they have time to prepare themselves.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

It looks like Ikpeazu is going to need more than a camouflage shirt to sneak up on the opposition if he's as big as he looks on this photo...

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob

OFB, Who me? Watching too many Line of Duty episodes. Honest. I was here all the time.

UTB,

John

ReplyQuote

The club website is advising that the friendly at Bishop Auckland is to be streamed live on the Club's official YouTube channel with kick off at 7:00pm. 😎

ReplyQuote

It’s green after all…

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@andy-r

I don't think it's quite green or indeed blue - it's probably what I'd call something like teal.

ReplyQuote

Just been watching some of the Bishop Aukland game. Interesting to see that we're trying to play it out from the back. In fact we have just scored after a free kick won while we were trying to play the ball through midfield. If this is something we are working on, rather than just being a training exercise, it's pretty encouraging. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@deleriad

Yes I’m watching it and I noticed straight away that hoof ball had disappeared and we were trying to play out from the back 

OFB

Liked by K P in Spain and deleriad
ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 10
Share: