Discussion Forum

January 2024 transf...

January 2024 transfer window

330 Posts
23 Users
1570 Likes
 gt

We need two solid defensive centre backs,  Fry is too soft, hes gone back over, can't rely  on anyone e lse to dominate at this level, 

The fact is make  the right signings , and all you have to do is make the play the play  offs , that's the hard part, then win it, really Luton, give me  a break

ReplyQuote
jarkko

We need a right back and a striker.

If McNair goes, then also a centre back. But Paddy needs to be fit if someone would buy him now. He will be a free agent in the summer.

I think van den Berg is an excellent player even he is just 19 (b. Jul 7, 2004).

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 4 months ago by jarkko

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Clive Hurren, K P in Spain and Selwynoz

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Apparently we're interested in Todd Kane. Don't really know much about him: a middling Championship right back who is currently without a club. Let go by Coventry last season. Possibly a short-term contract until the end of the season is an option. He's pretty experienced.

Also supposedly in for Lawrence Shankland. He's had a perfectly respectable career with Hearts in Scotland. 28 years old. Not sure I buy this one unless the club believes that one or both of ELL and Coburn won't ever be good enough. 

Whisperings about Kieffer Moore on loan. Seems like he would be a solid short-term fix for the rest of the season.

Scott McKenna at Forest is supposedly in a contract dispute with them so that's looking increasingly likely. I would rather have a right back so that RVDB can play in his correct position but McKenna is clearly a class act at this level.

Rumours persist about Charlie Cresswell. Clearly fits our model really well but we are overstuffed with centre backs at the moment.

Indications that Forss's injury isn't responding and he may be out for most of the season. Some whispers that we may let Crooks move on but I doubt that. Apparently we are willing to let McNair go with some hints that Luton might be interested.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

I found this in "X" about the needs we have. Quite how I see it, too. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

@pedro  ".....remember he (Hayden Hackney) is only playing in the EFL at present..."

The thing is he hasn't been able to play in any league for AGES. I've forgotten what he looks like and what he can do.  And the thought of signing a 32 year old full back from Leeds, apparently currently being paid £19K a WEEK but, since Bielsa left that club, apparently not recently having seen much game time - doesn't make me want to set off fireworks in the back garden. But, as I said before, what do I know....?

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@forever-dormo Perhaps on loan first and Leeds pay some of that heavy chunk of weekly payments? He has a contract with Leeds valid until Jun 30, 2024. 

I think we need an experienced head in the back four now that Smith and Leninhan are out for the season. But I don't think we will pay 19 000 € a week for anyone. But neither Leeds will want to. So perhaps a compromis can be found?

Up the Boro!

@jarkko - If they paid 50-60% maybe. I know their club and fans want to lighten the wage bill though...

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@mw-in-darwin 

According to the rules of the Carabao Cup - if a player receives two yellow cards in the competition he will be suspended for the next Carabao match - however, the slate is wiped clean after the quarter-finals so Morgan Rogers can play in Tuesday's semi-final 😓 

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

@deleriad 

Interesting rumours, Deleriad! Where did you find them? The BBC site is unhelpful, as is SSN. Are they for real or did you find them on keithlambtontine.com? 

ReplyQuote
jarkko

According to the Echo, Michael Carrick has confirmed Finn Azaz will be available to make his Middlesbrough debut against Aston Villa in the FA Cup on Saturday - just hours after he's set to move between the clubs. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

I'm optimistic about the signing of Azaz simply on the grounds of its bearing the imprimatur of Danks and Carrick rather than Scott and the stats boys.

In other words this is a player who, like Archer, Ramsey and O'Brien, is a known quantity both in terms of ability and character, and who has already proved himself at Championship level. Not a project from foreign fields untested for the rigours of the Championship.

For what it's worth Azaz certainly caught my eye when we played down at Plymouth, capping an all-round impressive display with a fine goal.

This acquisition is not the striker or right back that we desperately need. But a good additional attacking midfielder is always welcome and suggests to me that, in spite of the coach's encouraging words, the likes Greenwood, Silvera and Gilbert have not made the kind of impression that the recruitment team would have hoped. 

I'm hoping for more signings in the same mould but this time in the key positions where we are so sorely lacking

And with Carrick and Danks at the helm, please.

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by lenmasterman

Clive Hurren

In other transfer news, here’s a bolt from the blue!

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24024648.lennie-lawrence-appointed-caretaker-boss-hartlepool-united/

Good luck to him, I say! 

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Posted by: @deleriad

Apparently we're interested in Todd Kane. Don't really know much about him: a middling Championship right back who is currently without a club. Let go by Coventry last season. Possibly a short-term contract until the end of the season is an option. He's pretty experienced.

Also supposedly in for Lawrence Shankland. He's had a perfectly respectable career with Hearts in Scotland. 28 years old. Not sure I buy this one unless the club believes that one or both of ELL and Coburn won't ever be good enough. 

Whisperings about Kieffer Moore on loan. Seems like he would be a solid short-term fix for the rest of the season.

Scott McKenna at Forest is supposedly in a contract dispute with them so that's looking increasingly likely. I would rather have a right back so that RVDB can play in his correct position but McKenna is clearly a class act at this level.

Rumours persist about Charlie Cresswell. Clearly fits our model really well but we are overstuffed with centre backs at the moment.

Indications that Forss's injury isn't responding and he may be out for most of the season. Some whispers that we may let Crooks move on but I doubt that. Apparently we are willing to let McNair go with some hints that Luton might be interested.

Scott Mckenna also plays for Scotland and is a very strong and tough defender.

ReplyQuote

🚨 | BREAKING: Zack Steffen is heading to Middlesbrough to undergo his medical 

reported on twitter 

OFB

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob If that is true I cannot understand the logic of it, Dieng may only be away for a short period and Glover has been decent, unless he has picked up an injury.

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Liked by 4 people: jarkko, Clive Hurren, Malcolm and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

@exmil 

twitter is notorious for false rumours which is why I stated the source of the information 

OFB

Liked by 4 people: jarkko, Clive Hurren, Malcolm and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

@exmil You’ve made me click on the Fail’s website - I’ll have to disinfect my phone now. 😉

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

@malcolm 

I’ve just seen that. When I made the joke about deleriad’s rumours a little earlier, I had no idea that Keith Lamb’s death would be announced later today. I do apologise to everyone for what has turned out to be very poor taste on my behalf.  

We had our ups and downs under Keith, but we enjoyed some amazing years, and I’m sure he always did his absolute best for the club. Thanks for the memories, Keith. Very sad. 

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@clive-hurren so sad to hear the news about Keith Lamb. I think he did personally a lot that we signed Juninho and many of the other International stars like Ravanelli, etc. I think he was a very important person for our best years ever. RIP.

Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @lenmasterman

I'm optimistic about the signing of Azaz simply on the grounds of its bearing the imprimatur of Danks and Carrick rather than Scott and the stats boys.

In other words this is a player who, like Archer, Ramsey and O'Brien, is a known quantity both in terms of ability and character, and who has already proved himself at Championship level. Not a project from foreign fields untested for the rigours of the Championship.

For what it's worth Azaz certainly caught my eye when we played down at Plymouth, capping an all-round impressive display with a fine goal.

This acquisition is not the striker or right back that we desperately need. But a good additional attacking midfielder is always welcome and suggests to me that, in spite of the coach's encouraging words, the likes Greenwood, Silvera and Gilbert have not made the kind of impression that the recruitment team would have hoped. 

I'm hoping for more signings in the same mould but this time in the key positions where we are so sorely lacking

And with Carrick and Danks at the helm, please.

MC on why he wanted Azaz, as reported by the Gazette:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/finn-azaz-middlesbrough-michael-carrick-28390660

Looking good for Saturday...

ReplyQuote

@clive-hurren 

Not poor taste, Clive, just an unfortunate coincidence. No apology necessary in my view, but appreciated nevertheless.

No posts for 13hrs. Just checking to see if the blog is still running

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

According to the Northern Echo, Coburn is not going on loan and a new striker isn't a priority. In particular, the Hearts striker Lawrence Shankland is not someone we're looking at.

Defence is a priority but they claim that Todd Kane isn't on our radar. Reading between the lines, either Charlie Cresswell or Luke Ayling may be under discussion though Spence's recall from Leeds (to be precise, Leeds appear to have sent him packing for being a mardy get) may complicate that. The article reads very much like someone at the club telling Dom Shaw some stuff he can rule out. Shaw then drops a not very subtle hint that he reckons Ayling is in the frame.

ReplyQuote
 gt

See Fabio Carvalho back at Liverpool , from loan at Leipzig , he would be a game changer, however wages and other clubs interested makes it unlikely

Liked by 4 people: Malcolm, Clive Hurren, jarkko and Original Fat Bob

ReplyQuote

Reported by Craig Johns that due to a hold up at the Villa end, the 12 o’clock deadline passed without Azaz signing being completed, there possibly his first Boro appearance could be 13 Jan at Millwall 🤬

Come on BORO.

Liked by Selwynoz and jarkko
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@exmil 

What a surprise that the Villa fax machine got accidentally unplugged so he can't play for Boro this weekend 🤔 

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Malcolm, Clive Hurren and jarkko

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@deleriad 

Glad to hear that any talk of Coburn going out on loan has been knocked on the head - never made sense in the first place given we're pretty thin on the ground with forwards and nobody else with Josh's skill set.

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

werdermouth 

‘Glad to hear that any talk of Coburn going out on loan has been knocked on the head - never made sense in the first place given we're pretty thin on the ground with forwards and nobody else with Josh's skill set.’ 

I agree 100%! 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 11
Share: