59 Posts
20 Users
310 Likes

Silvera equalises in the 20th minute, assisted by Dan B.  🙂

ReplyQuote

1-1 at half-time.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

What is it about the Boro not been able to keep a clean sheet. 

It you cannot do that on a regular basis, then you get no where.

Cannot comment on Berg, but with the wages the others are getting, surely we should be able to do get better..

ReplyQuote

Isaiah Jones gives Boro the lead in the 63rd minute with a little help from Dan B.  That'll do his confidence no end of good! 

Howson on for HH in the 67th minute.

ReplyQuote

Now we're cooking with gas:  McGree, who was sent on for Payero in the 74th minute, makes it 3-1 with Jonny Howson's help.

ReplyQuote

The Terriers made it 3-2 in the fourth minute of injury time, but that's how it finished, thank God!

ReplyQuote

Good to get a win and score some goals.

It's always difficult to know what to take from these games with two much changed sides. The early sending off also may have distorted the picture a bit, though it did sound like we made better use of that extra man in the second half. Was anyone there to witness it?

It sounded like Rogers was more effective playing off the left in the second half with Silvera seemingly able to play anywhere across the front line. It also seemed like the pace of him and Jones gave us a different option to what we had on Saturday.

Food for thought for Coventry on Saturday.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Andy R

First win against a Colin team in 12, also one of their goals was scored by one of the Harlem Globetrotters 6 foot 9 makes Matt Crooks look like a dwarf. Good to win will still need to improve on Saturday

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Was listening to the live commentary until the final five min. As it was 1-3 and Huddersfield had just 10 men, I thought the match was over. I was wrong, though. I went to bed as there is the two hour time difference. 

Sounded like Boro had improved in the second half. It is never easy to play against 10 men as one might think winning comes a bit easier.

But happy with the win and looking forward to the draw of the next round. I hope we get a home tie - who ever we will play against.

An away win against Neil Warnock is always nice. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Highlights from Huddersfield:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou8ZO0k_d_Y

Payero had a couple of chances to score as well as Rogers. Some nice  passes for the Boro goals,  though.

Up the Boro!

This post was modified 9 months ago by jarkko

ReplyQuote

@stircrazy

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@jarkko   Thanks for that.

Good goals for Boro, though it looked as though there were a couple of fortunate deflections. 

However sloppy in defence once more, even the second goal was initially a ball lost and the cross not defended. Not about sure about Berg. Looks like he needs more game time perhaps.

ReplyQuote

I have the most upsetting feeling that our winger with all the promise in the world is going to disapoint us. Why? He is still getting it wrong when it matters. He cruised into the goalmouth with not a care in the world, and he had not a clue as to what was to happen next, the result was mayhem and a goal to us, but he is not to be trusted.

ReplyQuote

@jarkko 

Barlaser showing his passing skills last night and the position he should be playing in as a forward midfield player not as a defensive spoiler 

OFB

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

@jarkko 

Barlaser showing his passing skills last night and the position he should be playing in as a forward midfield player not as a defensive spoiler 

OFB

Think I agree with that, OFB. I'm starting to wonder if - like Crooks - he's a no. 8 in a team that plays 6s and 10s.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Perhaps Finn Cartwright can play more alongside Howson instead of Barlaser? The former was 16 years and 161 days old yesterday. 

Cartwright spent the ten minutes or so he was on the pitch at the John Smith’s Stadium playing alongside Jonny Howson in the Boro midfield.

While Cartwright was making his first appearance in senior football, Howson was clocking up his 700th, a notable milestone for the 35-year-old.

What a duo there. Howson must have played professional football before Finn was born. Up the Boro!

This post was modified 9 months ago by jarkko

ReplyQuote

@jarkko - thanks for the link to the match highlights. I have just watched them in the beer garden of the Craster Arms in Beadnell.  Listened last night (commentary by BBCTees via digital TV) then with other TV & electricals being used to excess, I had a bit of a fright when the electrics closed down to "save" destroying the battery which for some reason had got down to 9.5V (EEEK!).  I was VERY surprised when the systems closed down after a warning of seconds only and, in a relatively new van I wasn't sure what to do in the darkness! 

A pot of tea by torchlight then bed, but the battery charger had done it's work (sunrise about 5.15am and blue skies!) so everything was fine again by 8.45am. But maybe a new battery in the offing as this one is Jurassic and has served its time.

A bit like the football - phew! 

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

A win is a win and pleased at scoring 3 goals but I’m not getting carried away as Huddersfield’s team was mainly youngsters and they only had 10 players for most of the game.

It is good to see that Boro are pursuing a centre forward and a left back. The centre forward , at 24, and having been on loan in the last few years should be thinking of a permanent loan with a 4 year deal as an opportunity to become a serious player and not a permanent loanee. He hasn’t scored many goals in recent years except for last year, although I don’t know how the Swiss league compares to the Championship. - I suspect quite a bit lower.

Still on transfers , I hope Boro stick out for the best part of £15m for Akpom   on the grounds that Coventry recently sold their centre forward for £18m. The ability and worth to the teams were similar.

Philip of Huddersfield 

Philip of Huddersfield

@plato 

Bit harsh on the young lad ?!?
He’s still very inexperienced at this level and played well with Crooks supplying him with the right balls in an attacking position. When he wasn’t as effective coincided with him getting the ball around the half way line.

What did Giles do when he got the ball on the halfway line ?  - invariably passed it back or, at best sideways.

Whilst making this comparison, Giles created more chances but I’d prefer Jones as a full back .

Just a thought or two👍👋

Philip of Huddersfield 

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

I also think Barlaser would be at his most effective (and least vulnerable) playing further upfield, than deeper.

He has always tried to play his passes forward since he arrived, however that does leave him open to being picked off if the defence splitting pass does not come off. Further forward is less of an issue if it does not happen.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Well I got what I wanted from the game - goals, a sneaked win and some pace down the flanks.

However, this was very much in the ‘training game’ category that has befallen the early rounds of the Caraboa Cup with a weakened opposition and the added bonus of playing against ten men for three-quarters of the game.

At least it will have helped Boro’s confidence and given Michael Carrick some positives to take into the weekend.

If I was a betting man then it seems the offers touted for Akpom may solidify into bids the club will have to give serious thought - though if Everton make a serious offer it could tempt Akpom but perhaps Ben Gibson services may be required to give his advice of playing under Dyche.

Either way, it looks like a striker is needed asap and a few others besides if Boro are to justify their tag of being the best bet outside the newly relegated teams.

It’s unlikely Akpom will be played to his strengths away from Boro under Carrick and he could easily become frustrated - as usual it all depends on money and the lure of a juicy contract. 

Still Boro’s season is now officially up and running - Coventry will be a good test of how ready the team is.

Noise on the inter Web that we are about to sign a striker from Atalanta

ReplyQuote

He's called latte lath

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@paulinboro 

Good to hear we’re going for cream of the crop…

ReplyQuote

Ermmmmm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Latte_Lath

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth 

Doesn’t Costa lot !

OFB

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @paulinboro

Ermmmmm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Latte_Lath

Indeed - fits into our model of buying non scoring strikers very nicely!

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob 

looking at his record one can see why! Or maybe I am just stirring things up a bit………

ReplyQuote

Bolton away in the next round.

Liked by werdermouth and jarkko
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: