Discussion Forum

Chelsea v Boro: EFL...

Chelsea v Boro: EFL Cup SF 2nd-leg

118 Posts
23 Users
670 Likes

Live text commentary on the BBC Sport web site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/67787545

Stewie's surprised that Jonny H is starting.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Stircrazy

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@stircrazy so am I

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

From CJ

Detailed Boro team news

We're going with the league formation of 4-2-3-1 with Hackney advanced and either of Forss, Crooks or Rogers as the strikers. It could be a three at the back formation like the first leg still. It would mean Marcus Forss at right wing-back. It's something he's done before, but it would require a lot of defensive responsibility.

There's four changes from the side that drew with Rotherham at the weekend. Van den Berg, Howson, Forss and Crooks are in for Ayling, Jones, Azaz and Greenwood. Jones missing out through injury of course, while the other three are cup-tied. Another injury boost in the form of Dijksteel returning.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Jones is a major loss. There’s very little pace in the side and I’m not sure how we get out to be honest.

Rogers, assuming he’s up front, has a major job on his hands to get hold of the ball and help us get up the pitch.

That said, maybe it will be Crooks up top for just that reason.

Difficult night ahead but there’s always hope.

Come on Boro.

Liked by 4 people: jarkko, K P in Spain, Malcolm and werdermouth

ReplyQuote

is it me or is sky coverage very one sided

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Site Creator
Topic starter  

@andy-r 

Yes, it's just about a fit Starting XI and not much else - can't imagine either Dijksteel or McNair on the bench are that fit and O'Brien has only played a few minutes in months plus Josh Coburn not fit enough to start.

It's going to be very tough and our main hope may be getting an early goal and turning the crowd - extra time would probably see several youngsters coming on for fresh legs so better get it done inside 90 minutes 😉 

This post was modified 3 months ago by werdermouth

Liked by 4 people: Andy R, Powmill-Naemore, K P in Spain and Malcolm

ReplyQuote

Text from "Anon" posted on the Beeb's site:

My wife’s family are all from Boro and having visited many times I just know how huge this could be for the community. It’s so much bigger than football for this town. Sincerely hope every single neutral is supporting the Boro tonight.

Liked by K P in Spain and jarkko
ReplyQuote

3-0 after 36 minutes, including a Jonny H OG.  Boro rapidly becoming Chelski's whipping boy.  🙁

Liked by Malcolm and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

4 nil....oh dear...have to shut up shop 2nd half to avoid a mauling.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

from cj

First half verdict

Boro punished in that first half. Two defensive lapses and two unenforced errors playing out from the back. Unlike the first leg, Chelsea have been ruthless this time. With Chelsea's quality, there was always a potential for this, but the hope was we'd get a monumental effort like the first leg.

Boro just struggled to keep the ball and as a result have been really pinned back. Too much space for Chelsea in the midfield and ball not sticking up top enough to ease pressure/help Boro progress up the pitch.

Liked by K P in Spain and jarkko
ReplyQuote

Any suggestions what MC should do now?

Unfortunately what I feared might happen has materialised and it’s only half time.  

I suppose a second half clean sheet would be a positive of sorts.  

This game has clearly exposed the difference in class between the leagues and one has to wonder if the majority of Championship sides can really bridge it. 🙁😎

ReplyQuote
Site Creator
Topic starter  

Well that first half was the antithesis of how Boro performed in the first leg - too many mistakes playing it out of defence to leave Boro any chance of getting something out of the game. The worst thing is that there's still another half with Carrick no options on the bench and no chance of scoring 3 goals unless the miracle of all miracles happen. What to do - it won't be pleasant viewing and definitely don't need any more injuries.

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Not great. But head was saying we should be well beaten.  No more goals in the 2nd half please.

ReplyQuote

Just basic mistakes I'm afraid. Let's be honest we were all suprised with the home result with the massive financial gulf between the sides. Let's hope for damage limititation 2nd half. UTB

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

Well given the Boro team, reality has kicked in, and Chelsea have been ruthless with the chances Boro have given them. Let’s hope Chelsea take their foot off the gas. 

ReplyQuote

Dijksteel on for Forss at the start of the second half.

Quote from somebody called Steve on the Beeb site:

Too nice from Boro. No passion or desire and they've let Chelsea off the hook big time. Feel for those Boro fans as that's a long way down and an even longer drive home.

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

The tie was effectively over after 30 minutes with the score 0-3.
It’s men against boys.

Poor Boro display. No one comes out of the game with credit.

At least the team can have a rest and maybe some players will return from injury with no game on Saturday .

from a disappointed Philip from Huddersfield 👎👎

Philip of Huddersfield

Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse , it’s 0-5 now

This team is going nowhere with mistake after mistake - it’s 0-6 now.

Goal by Rodgers - added £1 million to his fee ?.
Pleased for Boro supporters who encouraged their team for the whole game - well done.

Philip of Huddersfield 

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Philip of Huddersfield

ReplyQuote

O'Brien replaces Jonny H n the 70th minute.

Text from a Nathan on the Beeb site:

Too much criticism for Boro from our own fans here. Chelsea spent more on Enzo and Caicedo than our entire squad - First Team, Reserves and Academy. The team they put out tonight is probably valued higher than our entire club - nuts, bolts and kitchen sink! We drew with Rotherham, bottom of the Championship. How do they expect us to beat Chelsea?

Cole Palmer gets a second goal in the 77th minute it to make it 5-0 & Madueke scores in the 80th to make it 6-0...  It's officially a rout!

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

I make that 4 goals we’ve literally given them via unforgivable defensive errors. 

This is hurting because most of us loathe Chelsea.

Boro can now concentrate on the league, get players fit, decide who goes, incomings etc.

I wouldn't keep Greenwood,sell Rodgers and Hackney to start with.Wait a minute Rodgers has scored, keep him! 🤣 

This post was modified 3 months ago by Malcolm

If fan noise counted for anything, we'd be through already 

After Matt Crooks has a header disallowed for offside in the 83rd minute, Morgan Rogers bags a consolation goal in the 88th, assisted by HH!

This post was modified 3 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

Sad night, but not really that surprising. The gulf between an established and rich premier league side and an injury (and international) ravaged makeshift eleven was always going to be more than difficult to bridge.

The team has had its odd spell in the game and we have at least breached their goal.

Time to regroup and get the team fit and back from the internationals.  Lots to play for this season and we have to showcase are up to it.

Great away support again.

Posted by: @stircrazy

After Matt Crooks has a header disallowed for offside in the 83rd minute, Morgan Rogers bags a consolation goal in the 88th, assisted by HH!

Glenn Murray on the Rogers goal on the Beeb site:

They have not given up. The fans deserve that after coming down from Middlesbrough and I think that is probably the goal of the evening.

That might be the only one of the evening for Middlesbrough, but that is definitely the goal of the night.

Site Creator
Topic starter  

Take away the own goal and the two terrible passes out of defence add Crooks offside effort then we should be playing extra time - OK, I tried  - though poor defensive display and probably the wrong tactics to try and play out and also have a high defensive line when there's no pace in that defence.

Anyway, there was barely a fit starting XI for Carrick to pick and perhaps only one day on the training pitch after Rotherham to try a different approach. Today Boro's only chance was to keep it tight and they failed early on that score and then the game was over before they had a chance to regroup.

At least Rogers got his goal and perhaps will get his move - 12 days to regroup and prepare to continue the hard slog in the Championship that has so far decimated the squad to the bare minimum. a game too far this evening and a hard lesson - still full credit goes to the traveling supporters who were definitely Premier League quality!

Selwynoz

Glenn Murray on the Rogers goal on the Beeb site:

They have not given up. The fans deserve that after coming down from Middlesbrough and I think that is probably the goal of the evening.

That might be the only one of the evening for Middlesbrough, but that is definitely the goal of the night.

more than consolation. That could be a £10 million goal. 

The game was a tough watch and I don’t think it’s worth going into deep analysis. They were thinking faster than us, pressing like crazy and ruthless in front of goal. Rogers had a really good chance at 0-1 and then that was that. The fans were amazing and the after match singing and clapping was highlighted on TV. 

There’s still a great spirit at the club and its good that we have a bit of time to lick our wounds and then hammer Sunderland 🙂

UTB

Pedro de Espana

@malcolm   I expected more from HH tonight, even given the line up. However another poor game after Saturday.

ReplyQuote

Now we turn to the playoffs !

OFB

ReplyQuote

As Gary Neville pointed out, they're never going to stop playing out from the back - they're just going have to keep figuring out how to get better at it. 

Maybe 90 minutes of trying, and mainly failing, to do it against players of Chelsea quality will prove to be a worthwhile, albeit slightly embarrassing, training experience.

Page 3 / 4
Share: