Discussion Forum

Boro v QPR

Boro v QPR

195 Posts
24 Users
846 Likes
Site Creator
Topic starter  

Thanks to everyone for their generous comments on the preview and hope you enjoyed the interweaving flow of consciousness between reality and the alternative reality that exists in my head 😉 

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

@werdermouth 

Adding my thanks and compliments as well.

As for today, I will simply say that I am looking forward to the return from annual leave of Boro 3 Them 1.

CoB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator
Topic starter  

So the summer business is concluded and to quote Keiran Scott, "The  job starts now" for Michael Carrick as he attempts to blend the new arrivals into a winning team. Though not losing anymore key players during the window is pretty much a result with Rumours of a McGree and McNair exit - though with the latter in his last year of his contract it looks like Boro have decided he's worth losing for nothing given that he is the main cover across the back.

It's hard to say at this early stage which players will emerge as the next key players but it may not always be the obvious ones. Boro's bad start has complicated matters as there's no longer any leeway to get everyone up to speed - today's game is crucial given how tricky September is looking and failure to win would compound matters and ratchet up the pressure.

While some will be optimistic that they believe the club now have the foundations to move forward over the coming years, it does depend on getting results and having a strong season if Boro are to retain key players like McGree and Hackney. It should also be noted that the two players who are likely to form part of the core, in O'Brien and Greenwood, are arriving on loan. So despite hopes of quiet summer next year, there is still the possibility of needing to replace six starters: McGree and Hackney (too good for the Championship?), O'Brien and Greenwood (loan deals), McNair (out of contract) and Howson (getting too old).

It would also be extraordinary if all the signings look the part and play with consistency and I would expect a couple to end up peripheral to the first team - especially given we now have 9 attack-minded players to juggle with. Most forwards are confidence players who need a good run in the team to get up to their best and that is possibly more so for young players who lack experience.

Still, much will depend on Boro getting back to winning ways as points breed confidence and players can't argue with being on the bench when the team is performing. Back-to-back wins would be a real shot in the arm for this young squad and then we may see some of the hopeful optimism being well founded.

The obvious risk in the shape of the current squad is its lack of solidity on display since March with very few alterations to the options available to Michael Carrick. Two left-backs and a young centre-half, all new to the Championship, plus a midfielder more regarded for his drive going forward have been brought in to solve the problem. The message is more about cutting out the errors, which of course they should. However, playing out from the back does invite more errors if the opposition are expecting it.

Anyway, I wouldn't put myself in the quiet optimism bracket just yet as there's a lot of work to be done by Michael Carrick to blend together a new team that performs as well as the one he got to within touching distance of promotion last season. At least he has been provided with enough players at his disposal to be able to work out how to do the task.

If I'm honest, I still think this season could go either way and that might depend on Boro having a good September. I'm wary of thinking everything looks good on paper as we've been here many times only to rip out the page and start again in mid October. All I would say is that I'm hopeful but not yet convinced, unless proved otherwise...

Site Creator
Topic starter  

@powmillnaemore 

Thanks and glad to hear your unfortunate bout of Covid has eased off to allow you to return home!

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth 

A very good summary. Werder. I'm far from convinced too, and am just hoping that come October we don't have the third successive instalment of our Autumn Crisis Saga.

@lenmasterman.  Just wanted to add my support to Len’s comments on an excellent summary from Werder; likewise I am far from convinced that we have the players, despite the numbers to match or eclipse last season’s achievements in a stronger league. 😎

ReplyQuote

Just a very quick post before departing - the sun is shining and there doesn’t appear to be any issues on roads ( that’s done it now!) so all set for  my optimism to continue - well probably only until 5pm.

Thinking about what Weder said, as usual, he hits the nail on the head and we do need a good September ti boost confidence. Hopefully the crowd will get behind the players today and they will deliver a convincing victory.

I think the changes from Tuesday will  be Dieng in goal, Smith in for McNair,  Howson in for Barlaser and Rogers for Crooks.

UTB

ReplyQuote

My mistake - McGree in for Crooks - forgotten he came on as a sub towards the end

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Isn't Smith suspended for the match after his red card in the last league match? Just saying, like. Up the Boro.

ReplyQuote

@jarkko.  No suspension was served on Tuesday against Bolton. 😎

ReplyQuote
Site Creator
Topic starter  

@jarkko 

It wasn't 100% clear whether he served the ban in the Carabao ('League') Cup as it wasn't definitively mentioned but he wasn't in the squad and it's been reported on some sites that he's available today.

ReplyQuote

Today's starting XI:

Dieng; McNair, Fry, Lenihan, Engel; Hackney, Howson; Silvera, Rogers, Jones; Latte Lath

SUBS: Glover, Van den Berg, Barlaser, McGree, Gilbert, Coburn, O'Brien, Greenwood, Bilongo

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Off topic, Blunderland's beating Southampton by 4-0 with three minutes to go... 🙁

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@stircrazy.  Interesting that Smith not included even on the bench.  

McGree still not starting despite scoring on Tuesday and making one! 😎

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

@stircrazy.  Interesting that Smith not included even on the bench.  

McGree still not starting despite scoring on Tuesday and making one! 😎

Don't understand the omission of McGree from the starting line-up at all.  *shakes head*

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Off topic, Blunderland's beating Southampton by 4-0 with three minutes to go... 🙁

Finished 5-0.  🙁

ReplyQuote
Site Creator
Topic starter  

Also a little surprised to see McGree on the bench but given Rogers scored maybe Carrick wants him to continue for his confidence

ReplyQuote

Dozzell gives QPR the lead in the 43rd minute.  🙁

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Well I predicted 1-0 but not to them!  Looks a long way back! 😎

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Dozzell gives QPR the lead in the 43rd minute.  🙁

From TL:

My word, it really is a goal from nothing. Dozzell is found in space from range, and his driven effort finds the net via the far post.  Dieng had no chance. Out of nothing.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

As it stands Boro are rock bottom of the league! ☹️😎

ReplyQuote

Silvera and Rogers for me are not doing enough and need to be replaced.  Bring on McGree and O’Brien. 😎

ReplyQuote
Site Creator
Topic starter  

Boro paid the price for being unable to keep hold of the ball and link up with each other - a few passes went astray and only really Jones, Latte Lath and Hackney were playing with the energy required. Not convinced by Rogers in the number ten role as he's mainly been looking to turn without bringing others into play.

Typically QPR then scored a wonder goal to make matters worse - Boro need a good second half and probably bring on McGree for Rogers at HT.

ReplyQuote

Very poor first half for Boro.

Silvero and Rogers both passengers. Neither of them look up to it at this level and they are presumed to be the pick of the recent "projects".

McGree should have been a starter and should be on asap. O'Brien wouldn't go amiss either. We need some experience and nous.

Chair running things for QPR.  I would have liked to see him as part of the furniture at the Riverside.

Bright spot is Jones, but we need more urgency and I don't see it coming from the current XI

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @lenmasterman

Very poor first half for Boro.

Silvero and Rogers both passengers. Neither of them look up to it at this level and they are presumed to be the pick of the recent "projects".

McGree should have been a starter and should be on asap. O'Brien wouldn't go amiss either. We need some experience and nous.

Chair running things for QPR.  I would have liked to see him as part of the furniture at the Riverside.

Bright spot is Jones, but we need more urgency and I don't see it coming from the current XI

No changes at half-time, but McGree replaced Jones & Greenwood Rogers in the 58th minute. 

Liked by Clive Hurren
ReplyQuote
Site Creator
Topic starter  

Not sure how Jones was subbed ahead of several others 🤔 

ReplyQuote

O'Brien on for Howson & Coburn for ELL in the 69th minute, but Jack Colback puts QPR two up two minutes later...

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

This performance is akin to some of those under NW and CW and typical Boro is alive and kicking.

Werder mentioned about getting to October and ripping out the page and starting again and this is beginning to look highly likely. ☹️😎

ReplyQuote

The only good thing about this desperate performance and desperately managed performance is that it will stop the journalists tipping Mr Carrick as the next manager of whatever Premiership team.

We are leaking goals like Lancias and Alfas used to rust in the late sixties.

UTB,

John

This post was modified 8 months ago by John Richardson

ReplyQuote

I blame OFB for buying season cards for himself and Mrs OFB!  😂😂😎

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7
Share: