Discussion Forum

Birmingham v BORO

Birmingham v BORO

82 Posts
17 Users
422 Likes
Martin Bellamy

@jarkko See here for details of QPR’s ticket info: https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/ticket-news/season-tickets-202324-230523/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Anyone tempted by that QPR offer?  I note that their cheaper window for renewal extends to 30th June as well. I must say that like Blackburn Rovers, Celtic and Barcelona, QPR has a "classic shirt" which is instantly recognised. I will mull it over...

ReplyQuote

@forever-dormo.  I bet it doesn’t take you long to mull it over! 😂😎

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@k-p-in-spain. Thanks for the Full Championship list. As I postèd previously, MFC, my search showed the Boro in the top 4/5. Of course it depends on averages, early bird or full price.

I also posted that MFC would be in the top half in the EPL. Again this would be ordinary ST's and not Corporate.

Why are MFC so high against the likes of the other clubs, apart from the relegated clubs who have Parachute Payments. Did they reduce their prices?

The big issue has been the wages bill. How much of Greenwood's wages are we paying. Is there a loan fee.

McNair on 20K and possibly Howson too. There I am sure a number on around the 15K mark.

We have wasted previously a decent amount on transfers. 

It would be interesting to see comparisons given Mr Gibsons cash support.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@k-p-in-spain - It will take me a while to work out the cost of return travel to London x 23 (probably by train) and maybe a "decent" though far from extravagant hotel for an overnight stay on maybe 7 or 8 of them because, especially with the midweek 7.45pm games, it may not be convenient to come home straight away after the final whistle after every game. It's sensible to put the travel and hotel costs (and some grub) into the balance as, over the season, they'll far outweigh the season ticket price. Those additional costs might just tip the balance in favour of renewing at the BORO.

Site Creator

Team News...

Boro unchanged for the third successive game

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Belated thanks to FD but I've been busy trying to finish a project but yet again another opener where he's been on top form - I like to think of Boro as a revived elder statesman showing all these youngsters their staying power. Hopefully Michael Carrick's men can continue their revival too and show that their seasons still has legs - albeit without two left feet and dodgy knees.

A win today would certainly get the players confidence levels up another notch - will we see Jones tonight? might be time to give him a run out!

ReplyQuote

@forever-dormo.  You have obviously taken time and deep thought over this but probably at the end of it come to the right decision! QPR Loss = Boro Gain. 🤣😎

ReplyQuote

@paulinboro 

Very true !

I’m pretty old but my wife sons and grandchildren say I’ve never grown up !

OFB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@original-fat-bob 

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up...

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth. A blogmeister extraordinaire and editor in chief. 😎

Powmill-Naemore

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

@werdermouth. A blogmeister extraordinaire and editor in chief. 😎

well said sir

ReplyQuote

The Brum-Boro match has the undivided attention of the Beeb's Champo watchers this evening, as it's the only one on offer - from the beginning of the live commentary page:

Carrick's resurgent Boro bid to rekindle top-six hopes

If Middlesbrough are going to resurrect the play-off hopes that appeared to be stagnating until a week ago, a game against Birmingham would surely have been high on their wish list.  Boro have triumphed in each of their past four meetings with the Blues and nine times out of the past 13 as they head to St Andrew’s with the aim of narrowing the gap on the top six to five points.

Having won just once in seven games – albeit in the shape of an impressive 2-1 success away to league leaders Leicester – Michael Carrick’s men bounced back into contention with back to back victories against Norwich and QPR.

Emmanuel Latte Lath and Marcus Forss both found the net in each of those games and, if they can help Boro to make it three in a row at St Andrew’s, Carrick’s side will climb to ninth place.  Tonight's visitors have been unpredictable away from home of late, winning three and losing two of their past five games on the road.

If the stats quoted aren't the kiss of death on Boro's chances, I don't know what is!

ReplyQuote

Get in Riley McGree thunderbolt following a well won ball and pass from Ayling. Brum 0-1 Boro 😎

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

@k-p-in-spain - Can I put in a polite request that McGree (short of being in possession of a broken leg) should start every game and play the full 90+ minutes unless obviously out on his feet?  You can't beat quality.

ReplyQuote

@forever-dormo. Entirely agree with that FD.  😎

ReplyQuote

Get in Riley McGree thunderbolt following a well won ball and pass from Ayling. Brum 0-1 Boro 😎

CJ:

Boro lead [after 17 minutes]! Great play by Ayling to step up and intercept a ball in Birmingham's half. He then lays it off for McGree to his left who sets himself then thunders a rocket into the top corner. Ruddy got a finger to it, but wasn't able to stop that. Goal against his former side.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

CJ:

Boro lead [after 17 minutes]! Great play by Ayling to step up and intercept a ball in Birmingham's half. He then lays it off for McGree to his left who sets himself then thunders a rocket into the top corner. Ruddy got a finger to it, but wasn't able to stop that. Goal against his former side.

Quote from Calvin Andrew (ex-Rochdale, Mansfield & Port Vale forward) on the Beeb's live text commentary:

Luke Ayling has had an effect at Middlesbrough, who went through a tough spell, but now seem to be on the right track.

ReplyQuote

Well a good first half for Boro in a scrappy match against a poor Brum side; the football that has been played has predominantly been from the Boro.

We need a second goal as it appears it is one of those games where, if Brum score one they are just as likely to get two; if Boro fail to take all three points then it will be very disappointing. 😎

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Boro looked quite comfortable in the first half - especially after that fantastic strike from McGree - which has given Boro something to defend if they fancy another clean sheet! Birmingham look poor at both ends of the pitch and it looks like a second for Boro would seal the deal.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@werdermouth   Terrific goal from McGree with another assist from Ayling. However we need to get tighter in the midfield and nullify Pritchard who is pulling the strings for Birmingham. Howson on a yellow does not help in that. 

I think we could play a little better with our passing. 

ReplyQuote

Greenwood on for Forss in the 65th minute.  CJ:

Carrick perhaps trying to spark a bit of life into his lacklustre side. Boro need to step up.

Azaz on for McGree in the 73rd minute - CJ:

Comes as Greenwood chased one down and forced a mistake to win Boro a throw. He's certainly added extra energy up top since coming on.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

HOOO RAY...!!!  Brum 0-1 BORO. Three points! Are we safe yet, Jarkko?

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Well Birmingham dragged us down to their level in the second half as the game just became scrappier and scrappier as it slumped to its conclusion. Boro saw the game out and kept another clean sheet - though that clean sheet never looked like being given the slightest of marks by a very poor Birmingham attack. So it was that moment of quality from McGree that won another three points and that's really all we wanted. Boro looking harder to beat and one more game before the break to add another three points on the board and see where it takes us.

ReplyQuote

Phew!  Boro now up to 9th with 53 points from 37 games & a GD of +1.

ELL's name followed Jonny H's into the ref's book in injury time.

ReplyQuote
jarkko

@forever-dormo No, one win more. But what a week. A win on Wednesday,  Saturday and now on Tuesday. Happy days.

Just five (5) points off play-off position. Up the Boro!

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Posted by: @forever-dormo

@k-p-in-spain - Can I put in a polite request that McGree (short of being in possession of a broken leg) should start every game and play the full 90+ minutes unless obviously out on his feet?  You can't beat quality.

I do not think McGree is fully fit yet. But getting there game by game. Up the Boro! 

Topic starter  

@jarkko - McGree's quality strike was the difference between a win and a draw.  Get him fully fit and available for every minute we play!

ReplyQuote

We are on one of our "streaks" again!  Let's hope this one lasts a while yet. Instead of Boro 3, OFB, maybe we can be 0 Boro from now on. UTB!

ReplyQuote
Clive Hurren

Well, 3 points, just about deserved, as we were strong defensively, and scored a brilliant goal. As Werder said, BCFC dragged us down to their level second half, and the game turned into one of the scrappiest I’ve ever seen. There was absolutely no quality on view from either side, not one player who was able to put his foot on the ball and slow it down, passing atrocious, chances created none. There was so much kick-and-rush ‘football’ - just belt it up in the air or up the pitch and hope it lands with one of our own players - that it was like watching a schoolboy game. Hardly a performance from our lads to give confidence for a renewed playoff push! 

But who cares? We won the game. We kept a clean sheet. Three wins on the bounce. We closed the gap to Norwich. All to play for (but maybe with just a touch more verve, cohesion and accuracy next time?) 

Page 2 / 3
Share: