Discussion Forum

Plymouth v Boro

Plymouth v Boro

114 Posts
22 Users
510 Likes

From the Argyle site:

Middlesbrough: 1 Seny Dieng, 3 Rav Van Den Berg, 6 Dael Fry, 7 Hayden Hackney, 11 Isaiah Jones, 16 Jonny Howson (capt), 17 Paddy McNair, 19 Josh Coburn, 25 Matt Crooks, 27 Lukas Engel, 29 Sam Greenwood. Substitutes: 23 Tom Glover (gk), 4 Daniel Barlaser, 5 Matt Clarke, 9 Emmanuel Latte Lath, 10 Morgan Rogers, 14 Alex Gilbert, 15 Anfernee Dijksteel, 18 Sammy Silvera, 24 Alex Bangura.

Argyle: 1 Michael Cooper, 2 Bali Mumba, 4 Jordan Houghton (capt), 6 Dan Scarr, 10 Morgan Whittaker, 14 Mickel Miller, 17 Lewis Gibson, 18 Finn Azaz, 23 Ben Waine, 28 Luke Cundle, 29 Kaine Kesler-Hayden

Haven't bothered including the latter's subs.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@stircrazy 

I think I meant they should run it off 😉 

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Team News...

Here's the graphic as well - unfortunately it looks like Dijksteel is behind van den Berg and Howson is preferred to Barlaser - other than that no surprises in the line-up

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @werdermouth

@stircrazy 

I think I meant they should run it off 😉 

🙂

ReplyQuote

Big Josh gves Boro the lead in the 23rd minute, assisted by Engel - CJ:

Boro lead! Boro build an attack well and Crooks' blocked effort comes out to Engel on the left and he plays it low across the face of goal where Coburn is on hand, against the side he almost joined this summer, to put Boro ahead.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote

Scores level 11 minutes later.  🙁

Crooks booked in the 30th minute.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Scores level 11 minutes later.  🙁

Crooks booked in the 30th minute.

And Argyle 2-1 up in the 38th minute.

ReplyQuote

Need to bring Dijksteel on to play RB

OFB

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

My post of 12.46hrs today.  Many apologies, everybody. When I said I hoped we'd score 3  because I couldn't see Plymouth scoring 3 today, I should have kept my foot out of my mouth.  Two conceded already well within the 1st Half, so giving away a third would not be a massive surprise at this stage.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@forever-dormo   I think In football generally, there are more “undisclosed” fees now than ever before. MFC aren’t an exception.

ReplyQuote

OFB

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

End-to end and pretty open game but Boro's early dominance has been hampered by the final delivery. After Boro took the lead they had a great chance to make it two but Jones failed to execute the pass that would have seen Coburn one-on-one with the keeper. Also Greenwood has failed to time his runs and has been caught offside too often.

Still Plymouth deserve the lead after two very good goals - the first a good quick passing attack and the second a wonderful strike into the top corner. You feel Boro will get more opportunities in this game but will they take them?

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @original-fat-bob

OFB

CJ's assessment of the first half would appear to support your belief, Bob:

Plymouth started well and play some nice stuff, but Boro dealt with it and got themselves in front. In the next ten minutes they had a couple of chances to extend their lead. They didn't take them and were ultimately punished. Both goals have come from Boro's right, with Van den Berg struggling with Mumba, but getting little defensive support from Jones.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

Well I think OFB will already have put his “foam hands” away for another period of reflection.

Boro did not learn from the early let off when VDB and Howson failed to cover/track their man. 
We had an opportunity through Coburn and a number of half chances to give us breathing space, but the typical Boro stepped up and HT came with us on the ropes and OFB’s 3 looking good. 

VDB has certainly looked like a CB this afternoon, the midfield has not got a grip in that area with Howson being poor, compounded by Crooks back to his hot and cold performances. Greenwood also needs to be more involved and offering more defensive protection to Engel.

I don’t expect MC to make any changes at HT, but I hope if we are still behind after 60 minutes there are a few changes.

ReplyQuote

If it isn't going well after 45 minutes, why wait until after 60 minutes (or later) to put things right? It gives less time for your changes to take effect.

ReplyQuote

4-2 final result for Boro?

ReplyQuote

Boro level on the hour mark as big Josh grabs his second of the match seconds after he missed a penalty!

This post was modified 6 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Boro level on the hour mark as big Josh grabs his second of the match seconds after he missed a penalty!

The Greenwood makes it 2-3 in the 64th minute with a little help from Crooks.

Coburn booked in the 62nd minute.

ReplyQuote

More poor defending 3-3.  See us losing this! 😎

ReplyQuote

I don't beieve it!  Argyle level again in the 77th minute!

ReplyQuote

ELL on for Coburn & Rogers for Crooks in the 79th minute.  Let's hope it's not too late for Boro to score the winner.

ReplyQuote

@stircrazy - Sadly, it WAS too late for Boro to score the winner.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @forever-dormo

4-2 final result for Boro?

Sadly, overoptimistic, FD.  Middlesbrough3 back, but unfortunately matched by Argyle,  🙁

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Well that was well-fought game with plenty of twists and turns and even a good old-fashioned deluge for the last quarter - entertaining stuff and probably a draw was a fair result at the end as both teams went for it since the beginning.

Yes Boro could have easily have won this one with better final balls but they could also have lost it too. At least all the fans left the ground happy with plenty to talk about in the pub tonight or on the long journey home.

I'd give Crooks MoM as he was everywhere and did well to create the third goal - if only he had a left foot Boro might have won 5-3 but he can work on that!

ReplyQuote

A missed opportunity I feel.  We had plenty of chances to put this to bed in both halves but failed to do so through poor decisions/execution with Jones and Crooks being major culprits.

The defending was back to being poor at times and only Fry came out with any credit in the second half.

I would have taken a point at the outset but felt it was a game we could have and should have won, so slightly disappointed.  

At least the travelling support were able to enjoy an open game and six goals to reminisce about on the long journey home. 😎

This post was modified 6 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

@stircrazy - I think I might keep my predictions to myself.  Less embarassing that way...

I mean, it's not only Boro, but the Cricket World Cup, the Rugby World Cup.  If I were a betting man, I'd be a prize customer for the Bookies. They'd be offering me all sorts of perks to maintain my account with them, but it would probably be cheaper for me if I simply opened up a Direct Debit into the Bookies' account and ingored the bets.  IF I were a betting man, that is...

ReplyQuote

CJ's verdict:

Full-tiime:Plymouth Argyle 3-3 Boro

Catch your breath after that one! An extraordinary game. Twists, turns, plenty of goals and controversy. Boro can feel aggrieved by that second penalty/red card call before the Plymouth equaliser. Thrilling game overall though. It ends even.

Can anyone shed light on that "second penalty/red card" comment?

ReplyQuote

@stircrazy.  I think he is referring to the fact that initially people thought Jones was brought down inside the box but in fact the contact was outside so it was not a penalty.

The defender was yellow carded for the foul whilst some think it should have been red as he may have been the last man but I am not so sure, I will need to see it again. 😎

ReplyQuote

Exciting game especially  for the neutral, thought we should have nicked it at the end.

Watched PAFC stream lot more balanced and professional than the boro one

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@paulinboro  Yes, as I have said before, when watching the Boro away games the commentary is usually the home team. Full credit to the Plymouth pair, very professional and balance indeed.

@werder.   Not often I have a different opinion from yourself in matters Boro.

However I thought that generally Crooks was poor, Howson cannot compete over 97 minutes and should have been subbed, as should VDB, even more so after his yellow.

Entertaining game in dreadful conditions. But 2 points dropped for me. Leicester up next and likely to be a home defeat given our defensive failings. 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: