80 Posts
19 Users
439 Likes
Clive Hurren
Topic starter  

Thank you for a superb report, Len. 

ReplyQuote

@lenmasterman 

I’ve looked at Greenwood and couldn’t see a snub to Engel and played it three times to be sure.i think Greenwood just wanted to get on with the game……..

OFB

ReplyQuote

Loved,your,post,Len

ReplyQuote

Great to get up this morning to this result not what I was expecting. Seems that we rode our luck at times, but that is what good teams do. Our two Aussies played last night against India. They came on in the last 25 minutes and McGree was a game changer so will probably start the next game.

ReplyQuote

I was incommunicado until 5pm yesterday. Turned on my phone and very surprised to get a notification that Forss had just scored. So I have only seen the highlights.

Bottom line though is to go to Millwall in the current context with no strikers left and grind out a 3-1 win is very, very impressive. Great also to see Forss back in action. He is by far the best Finnisher at the club; that shot was hit with power and didn't leave the floor. Any keeper will tell you that that kind of shot is close to impossible to save.

I'll be looking forward, now, to doing the Rotherham preview in a few days.

@deleriad 

Finnisher (hah 😂!)

OFB

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@lenmasterman    maybe Engel had been giving Greenwood some earache, for not sufficiently tracking back and covering him. First half both Engel and VDB had a torrid time against Millwalls right wing. 

In fact I was surprised that MC did not improve that issue earlier than he did by introducing Clarke. Once Clarke came on, all was more or less fine. 

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@lenmasterman 

Good observations on the game yesterday and yes Watmore looked the most lively player on the pitch for most of the game - though the only thing he lacks is the ability to find the net as he's now only scored one goal in 19 Championship games this season and since his move from Boro only managed 3 goals in 17 last season with 2 of those coming in the crazy final game that saw his team lose 4-3 to Blackburn despite that Brace.

On Greenwood's apparent lack of jubilation on his assist for Engel's goal - just watched the highlights (see link on home page) and he didn't single out Engel with a lack of congratulation but any Boro player who came up to him. Not sure why he looked the least happiest person on the pitch after the goal but perhaps he's just one of those smouldering players who rarely looks happy - after googling images of him, his default countenance on the pitch over the years does appear to be one of sneering disappointment that only a worldy free-kick can force into a smile.

Maybe some of joyful enthusiasm of Luke Ayling will rub off on him as there is player who looks calm and totally relaxed in his own skin - his inner zen appearance reflecting around him as he knows what it's all about. Hard to imagine that his last 90 minutes was 4th October with another 30 minutes 3 weeks later - plus another 7 minutes spread over 4 games in between. He will only get better with more games so agree that he could be the signing of the season.

Though good to see Forss back and with Coburn carrying a groin injury that will restrict his appearances this season and Latte Lath once again injured, he could find himself as the main man up top - though really Boro need to sign another striker as it would be risk to derail out playoff push if we didn't.

gt

Watched the Coventry v Leicester game before us. Leicester we're cruising up to the sending off. And as scores we're coming through thought this is bad . We could drop off the cliff. But not so. Fact is a long run of positive results meaning ten twelve is the goal. As is for the them team around us . Tight. 

ReplyQuote

@lenmasterman.  Just wanted to echo some of the earlier comments on your article which was of the highest journalistic quality.

It was an excellent summary of the game yesterday, balanced, fair and included praise and criticism in equal measure.  

It was a most enjoyable read thank you and even more enjoyable given the outcome. 😎

ReplyQuote

During the stream, that I watched, the Tees Commentary went off, replaced by the Millwall one. I have to say they were very fair to Boro.They concentrated on the football unlike Tees who tend to ramble on about other things that have no connection with football. Sadly 2nd half it was back to Tees. I kept the volume down. 😋 

This post was modified 4 months ago by Malcolm

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@malcolm 

You were lucky, my commentary was replaced by commentary from Hartlepool's game, which made no sense whatsoever.

@werdermouth.  Me too.  I turned the commentary off and kept checking until it came back on, it was nonsensical to watch one game with commentary on another.  Unbelievable Jeff! 😎

ReplyQuote

Well, thank you fellow Diaborians for the comments and analysis you have provided after the Millwall game. Any 3-1 win away from home has to be good, but at dour, hostile Millwall?  That will have warmed the cockles of a few hearts as those who attended the game from Teesside, or nearby, made their way home.

Very good to note that Azaz and Ayling played well on their first opportunity in a Boro shirt. Somehow everything feels much brighter after that game.  As if Spring is just around the corner.  Whereas it used to be said that Boro's form traditionally came down in the early New Year with the Christmas decorations, maybe Michael Carrick is gently re-writing those old aphorisms. I have a feeling we can look forward to better things, but the question is how much better and how soon? If the season had begun in January 2024 I'd be aiming for the stars. 

Maybe there IS still a chance....

@malcolm 

Didn’t you like hearing the commentary about going to see the Cutty Sark in the Maritime Museum and then going to the pub ? That was the Millwall v Boro report from Radio Tees !

OFB

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@malcolm  quite often I get the option of two streams and I always choose the opposition commentary.

As you said, a very fair and knowledgeable pair from Millwall. Mr Maddison, he is nearly as poor a Mr Slaven was. Hignet is far superior to either of them. IMO. 

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob 

Yes, heard that my friend, who wants to know about that. 😀 

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @pedro

@malcolm  quite often I get the option of two streams and I always choose the opposition commentary.

As you said, a very fair and knowledgeable pair from Millwall. Mr Maddison, he is nearly as poor a Mr Slaven was. Hignet is far superior to either of them. IMO. 

Spot on Pedro.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@pedro 

At least we were treated to another of Maddo's malapropisms when instead of remonstrating he said "I think Engel was booked for demonstrating with the ref" - though not sure what he thought they were demonstrating 🤔 

Liked by 4 people: Clive Hurren, Selwynoz, Original Fat Bob and Malcolm

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @werdermouth

@pedro 

At least we were treated to another of Maddo's malapropisms when instead of remonstrating he said "I think Engel was booked for demonstrating with the ref" - though not sure what he thought they demonstrating 🤔 

ROFL!  In some ways that's even better than Craig Johns's "air[ing] on the side of caution" in the article to which Malcolm posted a link on the transfer thread ("Sam Greenwood pressure after Azaz arrival as Matt Clarke eases Middlesbrough transfer need" - section referring to Matt Clarke).   

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: