Discussion Forum

Boro vs Preston

Boro vs Preston

79 Posts
20 Users
415 Likes

Great read and an original and imaginative approach, Martin. There is a lot there. Thanks too to Dave who seems a very good man and a good friend to have. Maybe we should offer him honorary membership of Diasboro.

Bob makes a good point about Hackney. I also felt that he wasn't tracking back and was directly responsible for letting his man go which led to Bristol's breakthrough first goal.

It put me in mind of a game I saw a few seasons ago . Both Downing and Tuncay had not only played in midweek internationals but earned rave reviews for their performances. Downing had his best ever game for England and I seem to remember that Tuncay scored a hat trick for Turkey.

The Saturday game was against a weakish Bolton side. Within 10 minutes Bolton were two goals up. Downing strolled around in midfield as though he were above the fray. Tuncay tried to do too much on his own. Both were totally ineffective and Bolton won easily- 3-1 I think.

The problem seemed to be that they believed their own publicity, and it may be that Hackney fell victim to the same problem after his England successes. Indeed, the same may be true of the entire team after their success against Leicester. They just did not take Bristol seriously enough.

That should be less of a problem tonight.

Sorry Dave, 3-1 To the Boro

ReplyQuote

Four changes, no Fry or Hackney in the squad.  Barlaser, Bangura, Dijksteel  and Roger’s start. Greenwood on bench. 🤔😎

ReplyQuote

EG reporting HH and DF are injured!☹️😎

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

Four changes, no Fry or Hackney in the squad.  Barlaser, Bangura, Dijksteel  and Roger’s start. Greenwood on bench. 🤔😎

From the Echo:

Middlesbrough: Dieng, Dijksteel, Van den Berg, McNair, Bangura; Barlaser, Howson; Jones, Crooks, Rogers, Latte Lath

Substitutes: Glover, Clarke, Gilbert, Silvera, Coburn, Coulson, Greenwood, McCabe, Cartwright

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23954853.middlesbrough-team-news-hayden-hackney-dael-fry-injured-preston/

HH injured apparently.  Pleased to see Dijksteel back.

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by Stircrazy

Liked by 4 people: Original Fat Bob, jarkko, K P in Spain and Malcolm

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Doesn’t sound like the strongest attack we’ve put out this season - though will be interesting to see how 3 new defenders in the back four works out too - all without our best midfielder as well!

Think Boro will do well to win this one tonight without arguably at least half of our first team missing - looks more like a team on a par with our first six game

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Didn't expect to see that team. I must admit to being a bit nervous. McCabe and Cartwright on the bench at 17 and 16 respectively.

UTB

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

Would we take the draw now with so many players out through injury?
Obviously Clarke is not worth risking starting.

Philip of Huddersfield 

ReplyQuote

Match intro from the Beeb's live text commentary:

Can Boro boost home goal record v Preston?

It was a case of contrasting fortunes for Preston either side of the international break.  They took the spoils by leaving it late to defeat Blackburn in the Lancashire derby earlier this month, but were stunned by Cardiff upon their return to action.

Middlesbrough will hope to claw [back] the gap on the play-off places with victory this evening and if they do so, they will be just a point behind Ryan Lowe's side come bedtime.

Boro have won 14 of 22 home games in the Championship under Michael Carrick, but have scored just seven goals in eight games at the Riverside this season.  What better time to turn that record around?

Not sure whether Barlaser alongside Jonny Howson will work....

ReplyQuote

Get in 1-0 Jones.  A great team goal. 😎

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

Get in 1-0 Jones.  A great team goal. 😎

With Matt Crooks getting in on the act, according to the Beeb.

ReplyQuote

Get in 2-0 chested in by RVDB from Barlaser’s corner. 😎

ReplyQuote

Jones gets a second to make it 2-0 in the 26th minute, this time assisted by Barlaser.

Jones ccording to bet365, but RvdB according to the Beeb.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote

3-0 Jones again assisted by Roger’s.  😎

ReplyQuote

Middlesbrough3 is back:  Jones bags his second in the 37th minute, assisted by Rogers.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Middlesbrough3 is back:  Jones bags his second in the 37th minute, assisted by Rogers.

Jones now joint top scorer with McGree on 5.

ReplyQuote

Just as well IJ is scoring because other parts of his game have been disappointing to say the least. 😎

ReplyQuote
jarkko

Posted by: @werdermouth

Doesn’t sound like the strongest attack we’ve put out this season - though will be interesting to see how 3 new defenders in the back four works out too - all without our best midfielder as well!

Think Boro will do well to win this one tonight without arguably at least half of our first team missing - looks more like a team on a par with our first six game

Sorry I had no time to say I quite agree before the match started. 

So what do we know? 3-0 up at half time versus a team four (4) points above us and in the playoff positions.

Michael Carrick is a blessing to Boro. Up the Boro.

ReplyQuote

At half-time, with a 3-0 lead, Boro sits in 9th position in the table on 27 points, with a GD of +2, compared with PNE's -5, but a point behind.  The Deck Chairs are a point behind Boro, with a GD of +6, but have played a game fewer. 

ReplyQuote
jarkko

isaiah Jones should have had a hat trick in the first half. 

Van den Berg has been absolutely magnificent today at centre back. We won't see Fry for a while even if he is just having a niggle. And scoring a goal with his CHEST from a Barlaser corner - what a corner ball by the way!!!

Up the Boro!

Site Creator

When I said earlier Boro would do well to win this game I obviously forgot to add 6-0 😉 

Got back just after the first goal so missed that (just saw the replay and nice goal it was) but didn't have to wait long to see a few others. Don't know how the first 20 minutes were but I've not seen Boro play much better than this during the season. Pleased to see Dijksteel performing well down the right and van den Berg has looked a good footballing centre-back and even got a goal to boot. As for Jones - well he looks like a lethal striker and was unlucky not to get a first-half hat-trick! 

Injury crisis? weakened team? Looks like the A-team tonight!

ReplyQuote

Found my foam hands 🙌 

I’ve been sitting on them !

More importantly I’ve found Boro3 !!!

OFB 

ReplyQuote

Greenwood & Silvera on for Rogers & Jones in the 70th minute.

ReplyQuote

Alex Gilbert & Matt Clarke finally get some pitch time, replacing Crooks & McNair respectively in the 82nd minute.

Not looking as though there'll be a fourth goal.

ReplyQuote

Alex Gilbert & Matt Clarke finally get some pitch time, replacing Crooks & McNair respectively in the 82nd minute.

Spoke too soon:  Bangura in the fourth minute of injury time, assisted by Greenwood!  🙂

This post was modified 5 months ago by Stircrazy

ReplyQuote
Powmill-Naemore

@martin-bellamy do share our commiserations with Dave 😉

ReplyQuote
Selwynoz

Spoke too soon:  Bangura in the fourth minute of injury time, assisted by Greenwood!  🙂

You don't mind being wrong about something like that.

This showed how good our coaching is. Everybody did their job and it looked like the 'A' team as was said above. 

Interesting selection dilemma for the weekend.

Crooks had a fabulous first half and a very good second. Probably my MOM but a hard choice. Dijksteel looked unbeatable. Bangura played really well. Van den Berg and McNair were in control. Howson and Berlaser were excellent. Latte Lath chased everything and Jones and Rogers ranged between brilliant and ordinary. Dieng didn't have a single save to make. All topped off with Clarke getting a good ten minjtes and a 17 yo debut for McCabe. 

What more could you ask for.

UTB

Thought Matt Clarke was calm and assured whom he came on. Did a feint and a dummy and turned the attacker the wrong way and calmly passed to a Boro player 

OFB

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy
Topic starter  

@powmillnaemore Funnily enough, he’s not replying to my messages.

Site Creator

Well that couldn't have gone much better this evening - an injury hit team coast to a 3-0 half-time lead with almost completely new back four looking like they've always played together - then Carrick able to make some early substitutions to protect players for the weekend trip to Leeds and even get Matt Clarke on to make his return from injury and also give a 17-year his debut. Four goals, a clean sheet and no yellow cards and most importantly three points.

Law McCabe who came on for Boro to replace Jonny Howson looked very assured and didn’t put a pass astray

OFB

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: