Discussion Forum

Boro Transfers In a...

Boro Transfers In and Out For Season 23/24

909 Posts
25 Users
3811 Likes
13.5 K Views

@exmil.  The EG report on 11th of June says “ The 20-year-old has agreed a two-year deal at the Riverside and will move to the Boro when his contract expires at the end of June”.

Given he is not shown on the club website it seems as if he may not have signed a contract at this stage. 😎

ReplyQuote

Exmil.  Just seen photos of the players training at Rockliffe today and whilst I could be mistaken, one of them shows a player on the ball who could be Terrell Agyemang;  I don’t know him at all so could be wrong. 😎

ReplyQuote

Matt Crooks signs an extension.

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2023/july/12/matt-crooks-signs-new-boro-contract/

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @k-p-in-spain

Exmil.  Just seen photos of the players training at Rockliffe today and whilst I could be mistaken, one of them shows a player on the ball who could be Terrell Agyemang;  I don’t know him at all so could be wrong. 😎

A fan who was in Portugal and posted various pictures of him and Boro players, replied to my question and confirmed Agyemang was training there 👍.

Come on BORO.

Liked by 4 people: jarkko, Malcolm, Original Fat Bob and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

Further to Clive and Malcolm’s update on Ken I have just spoken to him.
He confirmed that he’s had 3 days in hospital following a fall in his bathroom . The hospital did a number of x rays but nothing was broken. He was not happy that they didn’t get him out of bed. The test to establish he was ok to come home seemed to be the ability to walk up and down some stairs. He feels he’s gone backwards a bit since being in hospital and is a bit deaf  - caused by applying too much olive oil in his ears. He returned home last Thursday .

He has stopped looking at this site probably cos he’s not into close season football but fortunately has enjoyed the Ashes cricket.

Philip of Huddersfield 

@philip-of-huddersfield  Thanks Philip.

ReplyQuote
Philip of Huddersfield

I see Nathan Wood, formerly of Boro, is heavily tipped to move from Swansea to a Premiership club with 4 teams interested in him.
He made 40 appearances last season in his first full season for Swansea. 
I have always thought that selling him for next to nothing was one of the worst decisions by Boro in the last few years. 

Obviosly time will tell but it’s ironic that Boro have just signed an 18 year old centre back who is less experienced than young Wood.

Philip of Huddersfield 

ReplyQuote

@philip-of-huddersfield 

I don’t really know how well Wood did last season (though playing 40 games is a sure sign that he didn’t do badly) but this is further evidence of the previous lack of joined up thinking at the club.

A promising, young ball-playing centre half is exactly the sort of player Carrick wants. Warnock wanted something entirely different and seemingly Wilder was wary of inexperience.

Thankfully we seem to be on a very path now, as evidenced by the recent spate of signings.

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @andy-r

@philip-of-huddersfield 

I don’t really know how well Wood did last season (though playing 40 games is a sure sign that he didn’t do badly) but this is further evidence of the previous lack of joined up thinking at the club.

A promising, young ball-playing centre half is exactly the sort of player Carrick wants. Warnock wanted something entirely different and seemingly Wilder was wary of inexperience.

Thankfully we seem to be on a very path now, as evidenced by the recent spate of signings.

There were plenty of rumours about his private life and he had made it clear that he wasn't going to sign a new contract so it is possible that even if we had wanted to keep him, it wasn't an option. For whatever reason, his face didn't fit under Warnock or Wilder. 

I also get the impression that either Swansea are keen to sell him or he has a nightmare for an agent (or both) which is a bit of a red flag. You would think that if a player played a whole season for you that you would be keen to keep him rather than cashing in. 

Pedro de Espana

@deleriad     As you indicated, there were plenty of rumours and a quite reliable one, that MFC did offer Wood a new two year deal, but he refused it.

May be he thought CW would not use him, after Lenihan  and Clarke were probably obviously coming at that time. And other issues at the time.

Martin Payero is back in training with Boro.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/martin-payero-returns-middlesbrough-training-27198310

Come on BORO.

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

If there was truth in any rumours re Nathan Wood (I haven't heard them tbh) or he was seen as a bad egg, it's strange that he was offered a two year contract extension. I think it's more likely that he wanted to play but saw his pathway blocked by successive managers.

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

Looks like our hopes of getting Ryan Giles back are fading as per report from Northern Echo:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23654952.middlesbroughs-hopes-re-signing-wolves-ryan-giles-suffer-blow/

Ryan Manning who had been suggested as an alternative to Giles has followed his old boss and signed for Southampton.

Looks like we need to find someone else who can fit the role of defender and provider.  Giles will be a big loss if Wolves retain him. 😎

This post was modified 10 months ago 2 times by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

@k-p-in-spain 

I still think there's some legs in Giles returning. Wolves are suffering from FFP issues and are selling players at a rate of knots: Neves to Saudi, Collins to Brentford, Coady to Leicester and Adama, Diego Costa and Joao Moutinho all seemingly released at the end of their deals.

They must be in quite a bit of bother and I wouldn't be surprised to see them really struggle this coming season.

Of course, Giles may be a cheap replacement for Ait Nouri if he's next out of the door but equally they may not be in a position to turn down a reasonable offer.

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

While we all wait for more incomings and outgoings has anyone been watching the documentary on Sky Disney about the takeover and rebuilding of Wrexham?

Well worth a watch and I think it has been nominated for about six 'Emmys'. The Boss and I are addicted to it, when you see it you realise just how important a Football Club  like that is to the community. An interesting watch and highly recommended.

All the best to everyone.

UTB,

John

ReplyQuote

@andy-r.  Totally agree they are under financial pressure and need to sell before they can recruit.  

If this proposed sale means they are then down to only two left/wingbacks then I would be surprised if they were prepared to let Giles go and then have to recruit a replacement.  

The next few weeks will no doubt provide clarity either from Wolves or via MFC activity in the market.

In the meantime is the above mentioned player a viable alternative? 😎

This post was modified 10 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

Boro team for tonight

Roberts

Gitau

Fry

Bilongo

Agyemang

McNair

Hackney

Forss

McGree

Sivi

Finch

Subs

Metcalfe, Hannah, Bridge, Lindo, Patterson-Powell, Stott, Simpson, Cartwright, Matthews, Costello, Lennon, Connor

Liked by Andy R
ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@malcolm  Not heard of any of the subs!!!

Liked by Malcolm
ReplyQuote

Boro 0-2 after 50 minutes....

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

Finished 1-2.  No idea who got the Boro goal (in injury time).

ReplyQuote

Finished 1-2.  No idea who got the Boro goal (in injury time).

Report by The Echo:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23657430.hartlepool-united-2-middlesbrough-1-boro-suffer-pre-season-defeat/

ReplyQuote

Last season, York City streamed the friendly against us on YouTube so there's a chance they'll do the same again today. Their youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/@yorkcityfcofficial

Looking at players possibly available then I can see the following team

Dieng

Smith - RVDB - Lenihan - Coulson

Howson - Barlaser

Jones - Gilbert - Silvera

Kavanagh

Subs: Glover, Dijksteel, Collins, Sykes, Payero, Traore, Fenton John, Fletcher, Willis, Nkrumah, McCabe

Supposedly, Akpom, Coburn, Hoppe and Rogers are all carrying knocks

ReplyQuote

Boro Team today against York

Starting XI: Dieng, Smith, Lenihan, Van den Berg, Collins, Barlaser, Sykes, Jones, Rogers, Silvera, Hoppe

Subs: Glover, Hannah, Nkrumah, Bridge, Costello, Matthews, Stott, Simpson, John, Patterson-Powell, Howells, Whelan

Notable absentees

Obviously we know about the six who played at Hartlepool last night so were never expected here today.

But the Boro players to pay no part in either of the two games are:

Coulson, Dijksteel, Howson, Coburn, Akpom, Gilbert, Clarke, Payero, Crooks

Crooks was never expected to after only returning to training on Thursday. Akpom and Dijksteel we know are both injured, while Howson and Coburn haven't been training. We'll be asking for updates of all the above from Carrick after the game.

This post was modified 10 months ago by Malcolm

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @malcolm

Boro Team today against York

Starting XI: Dieng, Smith, Lenihan, Van den Berg, Collins, Barlaser, Sykes, Jones, Rogers, Silvera, Hoppe

Subs: Glover, Hannah, Nkrumah, Bridge, Costello, Matthews, Stott, Simpson, John, Patterson-Powell, Howells, Whelan

Gazette report on the 0-0 final score:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/middlesbrough-players-including-new-boys-27328786

ReplyQuote
 gt

Something fishy going on with Akpom ,at this rate he won't be fit for the start of season,and why were Fry and McNair on for most of game, are they on show for clubs, Dyjkesteel not around , even Howson usually plays every game ,I know the club as to raise money before any big signings ,even wages take it's tole ,could be some surprises ,next few weeks.

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

Not sure how accurate all of this is.   Link to MFC Finances, including Saleries.

https://www.capology.com/club/middlesbrough/salaries/

ReplyQuote
Page 17 / 31
Share: