182 Posts
22 Users
730 Likes

@werdermouth 

Hoe hoe

This post was modified 8 months ago by lenmasterman

ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@werdermouth   Berg apparently travelled to WBA, however he was not deemed to have recovered sufficiently from his dislocated thumb/finger?

Maybe he will be OK for tonight.

Crooks as the midfield destroyer Werder. 🤣  Well he can certainly pick up the bookings as you said. Pace, now that must have been tongue in cheek.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@pedro 

No not really a suggestion anyone should take too seriously but still can't think of any players currently at the club who can play defensive midfield other than McNair - and he may be leaving. Though you may be aware that Crooks used to play in central defence earlier in his career as well as defensive midfield before being moved further up the pitch after scoring a few goals.

I also noted that Crooks is rated to have marginally more pace than Hackney, Howson and Barlasser but before anyone gets too excited the same as Paddy McNair.  Probably explains a lot about our problems in midfield and why we easily get overrun.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@lenmasterman 

Is that a call for gardening leave 😉 

ReplyQuote

@werdermouth 

No. I would have called a spade a spade were any such inference intended.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Well a milestone day today after a three year hiatus Mrs OFB and I are once again season ticket holders!

COVID and a fearfulness of being in close contact with potential carriers of the lurgy had seen us once more resume our place in the stands. This time we’re going for East Stand Lower as even on a cold winters day you can get a blast of sunshine on you peeping above the west stand roof.

Tonight I still think Boro will win 2 0!

A real optimistic outlook!

OFB

ReplyQuote

Never really been a fan of the Carabao cup. Especially the earlier rounds. Boro would have been better staying at Rockliffe and sorting out the mess they are in. If they win tonight ok if not we can concentrate on the real world of getting points and further up the league table. Really speaking the Cup at the moment is a hindrance.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Middlesbrough are keen on signing Nat Phillips.

The defender could leave Liverpool on loan this week. (The Athletic)

OFB

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob 

Jimmy Phillips' lad, of course.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Team News...

Liked by K P in Spain and Malcolm
ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Is it on tv  streaming ?

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Looks like a strong side with McNair as right-back and Matt (I am not a midfielder) Crooks playing as the number ten behind Latte Lath with Jones and Forss as the wide attackers. Just Barlasser replacing Howson after McGree and Rogers having poor games at the weekend dropped to the bench. Also Glover in goal but only one keeper on the bench 😉 

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@original-fat-bob 

You never know but I wouldn't be that confident of an unofficial stream unless it was being televised on some channel somewhere

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Your description of the pitiful start to the season, and we could discuss it for a long time, has always been accepted by all fans, shambolic covers it nicely. But we are talking about the change under the new regime, that was like a wonderful warm blanket to every Boro supporter, a team actually coached in the niceties of the great game, playing like a team, and we were certainly not frightened of anyone, we were actually fancied to catch the second team. We did not die away, that wonderful form left here on the team bus, to play yet another hard scrabbling nothing team with the season coming to a close. And somewhere on that journey something happened, because we never saw that confidence again, we managed to lose to that nothing team, and assumed our normal personas, i.e. Anything can and will happen without us being able to influence things in any way.       

ReplyQuote

On a lighter note Florian Balagon (spelling) has just been transfered for 38.5M gbp

This post was modified 8 months ago by PaulInBoro

Liked by jarkko and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Based on the team selection which is reasonably strong then I am going to predict a 3 3 draw after extra time with Boro conceding in the last minute of normal time to go to ET.

we will lose 5 6 on penalties with Fry missing the last one! 

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

I have looked at various streaming sites, nothing so far. 😓 

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

That's why I find the Caraboa Cup a waste of space - it's not available to watch or stream and maybe only a few thousands supporters get to see actual game. OK, you can listen to the radio feed but this is 2023 not 1983! If you want to watch the highlights then you can tune into ITV4 at 15 minutes after midnight to probably catch little more than the goals. Talk about a low profile competition - it's mainly a vehicle to show the big teams on TV abroad to the Asian supporters who follow them. The rest of you just move along quietly there's nothing to see here...

ReplyQuote

@boro-beckys-dad.  No extra time straight to penalties if level after 90+ mins. 😎

ReplyQuote

@original-fat-bob - Glad to have you and your wife back on board, OFB. Let's hope there is some football to enjoy at the home games in the rest of this season!  (I'm not sure about your 2-0 prediction of a Boro win tonight but I'd be delighted if it turns out that way).

@BoroBeckysDad - It was mentioned above that there is no extra time tonight.  Just the full 90 minutes plus injury time, then straight to the penalty shoot-out.  Gulp!

Well, tonight is either the second step in Boro's march to Wembley leading to ANOTHER League Cup Final (whoever is sponsoring the Cup seems irrelevant) OR it could be a poor performance and dismal result with everyone insisting that the NEXT game against QPR is the umpteenth "must-win" of a very young season. I do hope that the next home game isn't a "must-win" because I'm not sure we succeed in many of those. I hesitate to suggest a 1-3 Boro away win tonight because it seems like tempting fate.  I am more confident that Boro will concede at least one goal than that Boro will score three!

We will soon find out.

ReplyQuote
Martin Bellamy

Whilst I’m inclined to agree with comments about the EFL Cup, I can’t help reflect that the 29th February 2004 was the greatest day of my Boro supporting life. I know things have changed in relation to the League Cup (and Boro’s potential to win it) since then, but no one will ever be able to take that day away from me and my eldest daughter. I’m grinning just thinking about it. 

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @paulinboro

On a lighter note Florian Balagon (spelling) has just been transfered for 38.5M gbp

I think you must mean Folarin Balogun, Paul.  😉  So, he's off to Monaco...

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Just checked the BBC Live Text - quarter of game gone - no shots, no corners - still not sure why it's not televised...

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Typical - spoke too soon - Bolton score seconds into the second quarter with the game's first shot - shakes head gets coat...

ReplyQuote

boro 1 nil down

GOAL: Bolton 1-0, Charles (23 mins)

Boro behind. Another soft goal for Boro to concede. Sheehan breaks into the box on the right and hits low across Glover's goal. He gets a hand on it but not a strong one and it's straight back into the danger zone where Charles reacts quicker than any Boro defender to tap home.

This post was modified 8 months ago by Malcolm

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@k-p-in-spain 

thanks I hadn’t realized that - makes sense 

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Well that was predictable I guess - only another 5 to go for my prediction to be right! Just hope not all to Bolton

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

The "Tough Sheet Stadium" in Bolton. Are they having the proverbial laugh?  After an early goal for Bolton, in what the commentary team described as Bolton's first attack of the game, it looks like being Tough Sheet for somebody!

ReplyQuote

Crooks - Boro's natural goalscorer (*Cough cough*). An equaliser!

This post was modified 8 months ago by Forever Dormo

ReplyQuote

GOAL: Boro 1-1, Crooks (33 mins)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 7
Share: