Discussion Forum

Watford v Boro

Watford v Boro

85 Posts
15 Users
335 Likes

ReplyQuote

Boro line up.  No Lenihan, absent through illness.  McNair deputises.

https://x.com/Boro/status/1708104413133287833?s=20

This post was modified 8 months ago by K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

CJ's more detailed team news:

Just the one change to the starting line-up from the team that beat Southampton last weekend, but not the one we expected. Rav van den Berg is fit to start, but Lenihan misses out through illness, which means Paddy McNair comes in.

That could see either of Van den Berg or McNair at right-back, but I would suspect that it will be Rav at RB given that's where he's played recently, and that McNair was CB at Bradford in midweek.

Rest of the XI is unchanged, though there is good news on the bench as Marcus Forss is back in the squad.

ReplyQuote
Site Creator

@k-p-in-spain 

Tried to post the image of the team news using my iphone as am on the way home but doesn’t work the same as my laptop so just a link instead - not sure why everything works differently on phones 🤔 

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, jarkko, Original Fat Bob and K P in Spain

ReplyQuote

Early lead for Boro:  McGree in the fourth minute, assisted by Jonny H.  🙂

Out of the relegation zone & up to 20th, as it stands.

This post was modified 8 months ago by Stircrazy

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Posted by: @werdermouth

@k-p-in-spain 

Tried to post the image of the team news using my iphone as am on the way home but doesn’t work the same as my laptop so just a link instead - not sure why everything works differently on phones 🤔 

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

As CJ saw it:

Boro lead! Great start for Boro. Howson turns away from his man in the middle of the park. Perhaps slightly fortuitous with the touch, but then drives into the space before feeding McGree, who takes it into his path excellently before finishing well just inside the area.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

What a start by Boro as Riley McGree scores in about 4 minutes!  AND AS I TYPE, McGree puts a second goal in!

What is going on?

Liked by K P in Spain and jarkko
ReplyQuote

McGree gets a second in the 12th minute assisted by Crooks.  Could Boro3 be about to put in a welcome return appearance?  *prays*

This post was modified 8 months ago by Stircrazy

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Went to Fountains Abbey (for the umpteenth time) this morning because we knew from the forecast that it was going to be wet this afternoon. And so it turned out! We returned  at lunchtime. The rain started before Watford v Boro kicked off.

Lunch has been eaten. Pot of tea and Belgian chocolate tiffin bites demolished. Sitting with a view of the Ripon canal and its boats moored on the quayside directly out of my front window. It can rain as much as it likes now. It feels warm inside with an early 2-0 lead.  

Might McGree be allowed a regular start please? 

But Watford gets a goal "out of nothing" (per Maddo) after 19 minutes - a mistake by Fry?.  Still feeling good about this game. 

Liked by K P in Spain and jarkko
ReplyQuote

The Hornets pull one back in the 19th minute.  🙁

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Posted by: @stircrazy

McGree gets a second in the 12th minute assisted by Crooks.  Could Boro3 be about to put in a welcome return appearance?  *prays*

CJ on the second goal:

It came somewhat against the run of play. Watford ad responded well to going behind and applied a good press on Boro to have them struggling to play it out.  But they made the press too obvious from the GK and left acres of space just inside their own half that McGree spotted and expertly exploited. From Watford's point of view, they're two awfully easy goals to concede.

Today is the first time this season, by the way, that Boro have scored first.

(my bold)

And on the Watford goal:

Watford have one back. Not for the first time this afternoon a long ball in behind has beaten Fry far too easily. Bayo runs off his shoulder to leave him one-on-one and he calmly slots past Dieng.

*prays harder*

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Smith on for O'Brien in the 36th minute.  🙁

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

CJ on the first half:

It was a great start from Boro, with McGree scoring two really good early goals. But Bayo threatened to run in behind a couple of times and finally did with a finish on 19 mins to half [sic] the deficit for the home side. Boro have managed it quite well since Bayo almost got an equaliser. But have lost O'Brien to injury and Howson looked in pain too.

Sounds like unwelcome news on the fitness front.  🙁

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Site Creator

Boro started the game really well and moved the ball much faster than of late and McGree was looking sharp and lethal going forward as he twice finished well to give Boro a 2-goal lead. It was appeared a case of how many Boro would win by as the Watford defence looked very fragile but just as it was looking like a comfortable afternoon a defence error let the Hornets back in and then an injury to O'Brien saw an early change.

Boro have still looked good going forward but after Watford were given that lifeline they've started to look dangerous going forward. A Boro third would certainly ease the pressure but this looks like a game that has more goals.

Howson, Hackney and McGree looking good with Crooks also having a decent first half - bit of a makeshift defence now down the left with van den Berg switched to replace O'Brien and McNair back in defence.

Entertaining game though!

Liked by Selwynoz and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
jarkko

Smith on for O'Brien in the 36th minute.  🙁

He was clipped just in front of Carrick and co. An anckle problem. He came off before the free kick was taken. 

So van Den Berg at left back now and Smith on the right. Up the Boro!

This post was modified 8 months ago 2 times by jarkko

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

@werdermouth Two each now!  Eek!

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Watford level in the 52nd minute.  🙁

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

...and it is grey and CHUCKING it down in Ripon. A few hundred yards away, at Ripon Races' last meeting of the year, the jockeys will need flippers and wet suits rather than traditional silks. I hope the horses are good in the water.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

@werdermouth   Yes, very entertaining game, end to end and I cannot see it ending without more goals.

Unfortunately Boro’s defence looks vulnerable with every Watford attack. Upfront nothing is sticking with Coburn and some of our passing has been poor.

Just I am writing this Watford score from an uncleared corner. Boro defence is all over the place. 

I would swap Coburn for Lath and possibly Crooks for Barlaser.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

COBURN scores Boro's 3rd..... 

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
Pedro de Espana

Just aswell MC took no notice of me

ReplyQuote

Boro3 is back courtesy of "the young man" in the 63rd minute, with Crooks again getting in on the act!  🙂

This post was modified 8 months ago 2 times by Stircrazy

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote
jarkko

Never a boring match! Boro3.

Up the Boro!

Liked by Selwynoz and K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

I know I have asked the question before, but does any Boro player make more of his ability than Matt Crooks?  It sounded like a great ball through by Crooks for Coburn's goal. 

Liked by 4 people: Selwynoz, Pedro de Espana, K P in Spain and jarkko

ReplyQuote

Boro3 is back courtesy of "the young man" in the 63rd minute, with Crooks again getting in the act!  🙂

CJ:

Boro back in front! Excellent response from Boro after the equaliser. And here Crooks picks the ball up in that hole again before threading a lovely ball in behind for Coburn who runs in behind and finishes so well. Great finish.

That should do his confidence the world of good!  🙂

ReplyQuote

Forss replaces Jones in the 78th minute.

Liked by K P in Spain
ReplyQuote

Greenwood replaces Crooks in the 86th minute.

ReplyQuote

Five minutes of injury time.

ReplyQuote

There can be no argument - that was a GREAT win by Boro.  The sort of result, too, which builds the enthusiasm which the last 5 or 6 months had eroded. Very much needed. 

And breathe....

Page 2 / 3
Share: